Page 16 of 63 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Just because or you've found that improves it in some way?
    Mostly just for convenience. My early recipe seemed to do better after freezing, but the recipe I use now it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    My kids complained about my neopolitan style crust so Friday I experimented with a pizza hut clone recipe. It called for oil, sugar and milk powder. It turned out pretty good. A little dry but certainly passable. My oldest said it was better than Costco pizza. Coming from a 7 year old, il take it.

Now, if I'm going to be making exotic crusts, I need a recipe that produces a crispy crust that's greasy. Anybody do something like that?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    I've posted this before, but you sir need to try this recipe. Almost fried on the bottom, puffy airy crust, with crispy carmelized cheesy bits around the edge. It's life changing.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...za-recipe.html
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

^^^ Yup! That recipe rocks. Long slow rise in the bowl followed by a second long slow rise in the cooking vessel (cast iron skillets for me). I start my pans on the stove until they're just about smoking and then transfer them to a hot oven for tenish minutes to finish.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I am gonna try that. THX

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    I've posted this before, but you sir need to try this recipe. Almost fried on the bottom, puffy airy crust, with crispy carmelized cheesy bits around the edge. It's life changing.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...za-recipe.html
    I’ve thanked you before and I’ll thank you again. Love this recipe and everyone I’ve cooked these pies for loves em.

They can come out similar to Pequod’s, one of my favorite spots in Chicago (not deep dish)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5387.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	231.6 KB 
ID:	256307

Name:	IMG_2098.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	256373

Been wanting to try this for a while, turkey on pizza. Its fabulous!

I also pre cooked the crust in the oven for 7 minutes while it was heating up to 550F. Golden brown on the bottom with a nice crisp and extra crisp around the edges to complement the airy dough. Totally awesome!

Name:	IF5oOBfh.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	256862

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Been wanting to try this for a while, turkey on pizza. Its fabulous!

I also pre cooked the crust in the oven for 7 minutes while it was heating up to 550F. Golden brown on the bottom with a nice crisp and extra crisp around the edges to complement the airy dough. Totally awesome!

Name:	IF5oOBfh.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	256862
    Very nice. What toppings beside turkey? I have plenty of leftover turkey to use up.

Turkey is all, I liberally sprinkle herbs and spices on it but I do not really call those toppings.

It was a deep fried turkey which turned out well.

I had thought about trying some oyster dressing but I ate it for breakfast.

Name:	IMG_2045.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	257184

Basil, chicken, onion & artichoke...not the best crust but still pretty decent

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Loved that thick crust dough recipe from serious eats. Anyone tried making a much thinner crust with the same recipe? I was thinking of using the same amount of dough for 2 12" pans, almost 50% more area than 10".

Yup!

Name:	20181129_194822-01.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	257821
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Please delete this travesty.

Did this tonight more or less. Mushrooms, Broccolini, Sausage, and Alfredo sauce. Made another on a stone with tomato sauce and it won. Decided tonight, that I no longer like alfredo on Pizza. But the Crust was still better on the stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Yup!

Name:	20181129_194822-01.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	257821

hey if your pizza gets soggy in the middle try not putting any sauce or cheese in the middle.

So leave a spot the size of a coffee mug with nothing on it so the crust can cook

its flat crust so the toppings will migrate to the middle anyway

but there will just be less of it and so ... less soggy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

You pan cooking guys, are you heating the pan first? Or just letting the dough rise in the pan before adding toppings?

Name:	IMG_2142.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	233.4 KB 
ID:	257907

Name:	IMG_2140.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	257908

Similar but not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    You pan cooking guys, are you heating the pan first? Or just letting the dough rise in the pan before adding toppings?
    If you're referiring to the Serious Eats recipe, I never preheat the pan.
    If I'm using 1/2 the recipe I use a 10" pan and bake for 20 minutes at 550.
    When I use the full recipe I use a 12" pan and bake for 30-35 minutes at 450
    depending on the toppings.

The dough made with beer vs water turned out great. Very light and airy with a nice chew.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1,009.1 KB 
ID:	257991

OONI Cook #2 TR:
    So, Jtran10's mom turned 60 on the 9th, and she had heard about the OONI and wanted me to come cook. No brainer! I'm still getting used to the oven and how everything works, and my dough isn't how I'd like it, but its getting there and the pies were fantastic.

I did the Ooni dough recipe, 1.5 hrs room temp prove, 24hr bulk fridge prove, ball into 200g balls, 24 hr fridge prove, out of frige 8 hrs ahead to get to room temp for stretching. Stretching was much better, however the doughs did deflate/fall a bit, leading towards a more dense/compacted crust and not air bubble central I'm looking for.

Name:  za2.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  64.5 KB

Home made sauce:
    1 can la valle DOP san Marzanos, drained
    hand mash marzanos in bowl
    add ~1-2 tbs the following (to taste)
    fresh chopped basil
    dried oregano
    salt
    pepper
    garlic powder
    mash until chunks are manageable.

Break up and dry on paper towels mozz. cheese

Name:  za3.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  88.2 KB

Ooni firing up. definitely still getting used to this whole thing. I really think this should be a 2 person cook if you want to do more than 2-3 pies.
    Name:  za1.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  65.5 KB

FIRE:
    Name:  za4.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  34.2 KB

We were hungry so we started cooking when the internal was around 750. I would have preferred 900, but when you're cooking for a crowd, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. 5 pies, mostly sauce, mozz, proschuit, evoo, basil. One white pie with ricotta, garlic, and EVOO base. We put them in the oven on warm and it was not as ideal as eating them fresh out the oven. Still a work in progress but otherwise great flavors.

Name:  za5.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  129.9 KB
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Those pies look legit! That little oven is tits.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I do a slow first rise overnight in the wine cellar. Then I divide the dough into pans in the morning and cover them before returning to the wine cellar for a second slow rise. When it's time to eat the pans go onto the gas burner while I add toppings. Once the pan starts to smoke just a touch it goes into a 500*ish oven (lower rack not up top) for like ten minutes. Crust audibly crunches when you bite it but still has plenty of chew since it's so thick. It ain't Gino's East but it's real serviceable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I do a slow first rise overnight in the wine cellar. Then I divide the dough into pans in the morning and cover them before returning to the wine cellar for a second slow rise. When it's time to eat the pans go onto the gas burner while I add toppings. Once the pan starts to smoke just a touch it goes into a 500*ish oven (lower rack not up top) for like ten minutes. Crust audibly crunches when you bite it but still has plenty of chew since it's so thick. It ain't Gino's East but it's real serviceable.
    but I don't have a wine cellar dude

Thanks for the info, I think I can work that out. It was a last minute decision last time to throw some into a pan and just spread it around and throw it in the oven. Next time I'll let it rise in the pan and try your method. Cheers!

I've also thought about mixing in some spent grain left over from beer brewing. I'll report back when I get around to it/

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    OONI Cook #2 TR:
    So, Jtran10's mom turned 60 on the 9th, and she had heard about the OONI and wanted me to come cook. No brainer! I'm still getting used to the oven and how everything works, and my dough isn't how I'd like it, but its getting there and the pies were fantastic.

I did the Ooni dough recipe, 1.5 hrs room temp prove, 24hr bulk fridge prove, ball into 200g balls, 24 hr fridge prove, out of frige 8 hrs ahead to get to room temp for stretching. Stretching was much better, however the doughs did deflate/fall a bit, leading towards a more dense/compacted crust and not air bubble central I'm looking for.

Name:  za2.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  64.5 KB

Home made sauce:
    1 can la valle DOP san Marzanos, drained
    hand mash marzanos in bowl
    add ~1-2 tbs the following (to taste)
    fresh chopped basil
    dried oregano
    salt
    pepper
    garlic powder
    mash until chunks are manageable.

Break up and dry on paper towels mozz. cheese

Name:  za3.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  88.2 KB

Ooni firing up. definitely still getting used to this whole thing. I really think this should be a 2 person cook if you want to do more than 2-3 pies.
    Name:  za1.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  65.5 KB

FIRE:
    Name:  za4.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  34.2 KB

We were hungry so we started cooking when the internal was around 750. I would have preferred 900, but when you're cooking for a crowd, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. 5 pies, mostly sauce, mozz, proschuit, evoo, basil. One white pie with ricotta, garlic, and EVOO base. We put them in the oven on warm and it was not as ideal as eating them fresh out the oven. Still a work in progress but otherwise great flavors.

Name:  za5.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  129.9 KB
    Solid work.

Need to start some dough today.