Page 6 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
    Also skip the cornmeal, it alters the flavor and texture of the finished pie and its nasty when it gets burnt.
    If you've those problems you are using way to much. brush off the stone between uses.

<shrug> comes down to taste preference and like everything food oriented ends up in mindless snobbery

Quote Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
    Piquillo Peppers, Kalamata Olives, and Speck:
    Drool. If ONLY I could eat a picture.

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    You said it's not healthier. I stand by my assertion that it is, ad hominem attacks notwithstanding.
    Marginally healthier? Yes. Healthier enough to justify the poor flavor and generally being a PITA? Hell no.

Agreed on avoiding whole wheat. I used to play with it, but not more. I live what I believe is an extremely healthy paleo gluten/grain-free lifestyle. When I chose to bake & eat pizza, I go 100% white flour ... 100% flavor, 100% results, no more trying to fit in what could be marginally & arguably healthier whole wheat.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnHard View Post
    I live what I believe is an extremely healthy paleo gluten/grain-free lifestyle. When I chose to bake & eat pizza
    So you live a gluten and grain free lifestyle, you're just not very good at it!

By the way, I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but there's a pretty good gluten-free pizza crust made by Namaste.

Anyone have a link to whole wheat/grain vs. white health benefits?

I have been making a couple homemade pizzas every weekend now. They are turning out OK, but there is certainly much room for improvement. I am going try mixed white/wheat flour today, but have a few more questions.

1. The dough has always turned out very sticky for me, I have to add alot of extra flour to be able to work with it at all. Is this normal?

2. When I roll the dough (after it has been proofed) should I let it rise again before I prepare and bake the pizza?

3. I am thinking about getting a bread machine. Do these work OK for preparing pizza dough?

Go to slice.seriouseats.com and look at the wide variety of dough recipes. The first thing to do if you are having a hard time is drop the whole wheat flour. The second thing is to get a kitchen scale and weigh instead of measure.

In terms of the health benefits of whole wheat, this is not the thread. It has a tiny bit more nutrients and more fiber but again, you should not be relying on flour to get these things. Google it, you will come up with a wide variety of opinions.

Those of you who proof you dough in the fridge, is that a single rise method? Or do you also let the dough rise before or after the fridge?

I do the following:

Mix flour salt water and yeast into a rough ball. 65% hydration

500g flour
    325g water
    10g salt
    3g yeast

Let rest for 15 or so minutes to absorb the water into the flour.

Knead for 10 minutes (I do it by hand so I don't know what the mixers require)

Let rise for 2ish hours.

Divide dough into 4 equal parts, you can weigh, but I usually eye ball it.

Place into a container with lots of extra side space, but only maybe an inch or two of head space. Cover and place in fridge.

Let it rest overnight in fridge.

Get it out a few hours before firing let it come to room temp.

Pull dough balls out then and shape, it's super easy by hand at this point. I don't do any sort of handling of the dough after the proof other than to shape it. You'd lose your great air structure. You should be able to see some bubbles as you shape, it's incredibly silky when you get it perfect, no holes will show up and the weight of the dough will basically shape it into the pizza shape. It's actually easy to get it too thin.

Top and throw it in the oven as hot as it can get.

Devour, drink beer, make another.

Here is another problem I have,

I preheat the oven/stone. Then wait till the last minute to prepare the pizza on a floured cutting board (wood). I often have alot of trouble getting the pizza off the cutting board and onto the stone.

I believe the moisture/heat of the sauce makes the dough really moist and causes it to stick to the board. Anyone else have this problem, or know why its happening to me?

I was thinking about precooking the dough for a few minutes before I build the pizza, but I am not sure how that will turn out?

Quote Originally Posted by snowquest View Post
    I believe the moisture/heat of the sauce makes the dough really moist and causes it to stick to the board. Anyone else have this problem, or know why its happening to me?

I was thinking about precooking the dough for a few minutes before I build the pizza, but I am not sure how that will turn out?
    I don't think it's moisture (unless you have holes in the dough), it's probably just getting too heavy and/or sticking to the peel. Before you add sauce, can you jiggle the dough on the peel without it sticking? You might try sprinkling just enough flour (or corn meal if that's your thing) on the wood before you put the dough on, and then make sure you can still jiggle it. If you add the sauce/toppings after that, and it still sticks, you may need more flour.

I'd say pre-cooking is a poor substitute for getting it right...

Don't use flour, regardless of the hate in this thread most every legit pizza uses a little corn meal as lube. Get a real peel.

before I add the sauce/toppings I can easily jiggle the dough across the peel (cutting board).

I am going to look for a real peel this weekend? what works best wood or aluminum?

Quote Originally Posted by brice618 View Post
    Don't use flour, regardless of the hate in this thread most every legit pizza uses a little corn meal as lube. Get a real peel.
    +1 and add a little bit of rock salt
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Product review:

Santa brought me pizza fixins from King Arthur Flour! Got the 14" Pizza Pan and a three pack of Perfect Pizza Blend Flour.

Pan worked wonderfully - got a nice evenly cooked crust that slide right out of the pan (I opted to dust the pan with corn meal rather than lightly grease). The flour blend had a nice texture and flavor to it and toasted up to a nice golden brown.

I give both items two thumbs up!

I'm going back for the Pizza Dough Flavor and the Pizza Seasoning just to give them a whirl. Dough had great flavor by itself.

They sell a starter kit too: Pizza Kit
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Product review:

Santa brought me pizza fixins from King Arthur Flour! Got the 14" Pizza Pan and a three pack of Perfect Pizza Blend Flour.

Pan worked wonderfully - got a nice evenly cooked crust that slide right out of the pan (I opted to dust the pan with corn meal rather than lightly grease). The flour blend had a nice texture and flavor to it and toasted up to a nice golden brown.

I give both items two thumbs up!

I'm going back for the Pizza Dough Flavor and the Pizza Seasoning just to give them a whirl. Dough had great flavor by itself.

They sell a starter kit too: Pizza Kit
    Pics of crust?
    I'm an on the stone kinda guy... but I also like variety.

This is the first year in a while that I haven't gotten 00 flour for christmas for making pizzas.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

^^^If you're that into it, get a steel. Increased density and conductivity more than make up for the lack of porosity: http://slice.seriouseats.com/2012/09...-delivers.html

Also, as they point out, stones tend to crack while a steel will outlive your grandkids.

^^^ I slide my pizzas onto a pre heated heavy, black steel sheet. The crust comes out perfect every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ^^^If you're that into it, get a steel. Increased density and conductivity more than make up for the lack of porosity: http://slice.seriouseats.com/2012/09...-delivers.html

Also, as they point out, stones tend to crack while a steel will outlive your grandkids.
    Thanks.. forwarded to wife. I'll report back after my b-day.

We've been lucky with the stone... only on our second, this one is about 6-7 years in.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Buddy got a pizza oven option for his campchef grill from bro in law for Christmas. We made pizzas outside in single digit temps NYE and they turned out great. Held the temps well and crust was perfect.
    https://www.campchef.com/stove-acces...accessory.html
    not something he is going to lug around camping all the time but will plan for a trip or 2 each season.

for sticking dough, we make / cook pizzas on parchment paper. keeps stone clean also.

Quote Originally Posted by snowquest View Post
    Anyone have a link to whole wheat/grain vs. white health benefits?

I have been making a couple homemade pizzas every weekend now. They are turning out OK, but there is certainly much room for improvement. I am going try mixed white/wheat flour today, but have a few more questions.

1. The dough has always turned out very sticky for me, I have to add alot of extra flour to be able to work with it at all. Is this normal?

2. When I roll the dough (after it has been proofed) should I let it rise again before I prepare and bake the pizza?

3. I am thinking about getting a bread machine. Do these work OK for preparing pizza dough?
    adding flour when working with it is normal. But don't roll out the dough! It gets rid of the "nooks and crannies" air pockets you want in there. It can seem difficult at first not to do this, but it works- just spread and stretch it with your fingers- throw it up in the air too if you want to do that, although most pros don't (I do it because it seems to help and is fun). Slow-rise in the frig for up to 3 days, then letting it get to room temperature, will make the crust better and easier to spread out.

Don't worry about letting it rise or not letting it rise. And bread machine is fine (although I don't use one).

I'm sure there much better recipes out there for sauce, but a super easy one is as follows:

One can of quality tomato paste
    One can of hot water
    Honey
    Salt
    Pepper
    Oregano
    Parm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	779.1 KB 
ID:	220283
    A recent effort. The Lodge pizza pan was a big upgrade from our pizza stone.
    It creates a light chewy dough like the old neighborhood pizza joints in Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    Buddy got a pizza oven option for his campchef grill from bro in law for Christmas. We made pizzas outside in single digit temps NYE and they turned out great. Held the temps well and crust was perfect.
    https://www.campchef.com/stove-acces...accessory.html
    not something he is going to lug around camping all the time but will plan for a trip or 2 each season.

for sticking dough, we make / cook pizzas on parchment paper. keeps stone clean also.
    I've been thinking about getting one of those. Already have the stove.

We've been buying dough from the shop down the street. $2.50 if they even charge me. Much more reliable than my dough making skills and cuts down on time on busy nights. We roll it out and slide onto a stone at 550F.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Ho View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	779.1 KB 
ID:	220283
    A recent effort. The Lodge pizza pan was a big upgrade from our pizza stone.
    It creates a light chewy dough like the old neighborhood pizza joints in Buffalo.
    Dayum, I need that.
    watch out for snakes