Page 22 of 63 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Or let people you like less cook their pizzas first. Then cook yours

In my home electric oven that only goes to 550F I put in the dough with sauce while it is pre heating for 15-18 minutes. Pull it out and give it the final assembly, then back in just as it hits top end. Anuthr 20 minutes and it pie time.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by sklar View Post
    My friends live in a fancy apartment building, their building has a pizza oven on the rooftop deck. It's a brick and gas oven, seemed really sweet, but I had a hard time cooking in it. Any tips?

We set it to 550 degrees.
    The bottoms of our pizzas weren't getting cooked very well, especially in relation to the top.
    Maybe we needed to give the brick more time to heat up before putting the pizzas in? It took probably 25 minutes to get to temp after we turned it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Yeah you need to give it a bunch of time to get up to temp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Takes a long while to get the temp up on the stones at the bottom. 45m is probably the minimum preheating time after the oven gets to temp. And I'd go with a higher temp. Maybe shoot for 700ish and see how that treats you.

Intuition confirmed, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Or let people you like less cook their pizzas first. Then cook yours
    I thought that this was a given...

Set up my Uuni with the new gas attachment... immediate game changer. It’s kind of a PITA to start (it may be my propane tank though), but otherwise it makes the pizza oven so much better. We knocked out 4 pizzas in 20 minutes last week and they all rocked.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SWAmuip.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	937.0 KB 
ID:	289418

One has oregano and one does knot
    watch out for snakes

Was in Italy for a couple of week recently. The last week there we stayed at an agroturismo in Tuscany (http://algelsobianco.it/?lang=en). Absolutely beautiful place. The last Friday, they have a pizza party where they make a bunch of dough and fire up the outdoor wood burning oven. The grandmas that run the food there roll out the dough and provide a bunch of toppings. Pretty standard stuff but I had some excellent Finocchiata pancetta from Macelleria Falornia (the holy temple of salami) so I put that on with fresh picked rosemary, anchovies, and thinly sliced zucchini from the farms vegetable garden and topped with a drizzle of the house olive oil. It turned out awesome and the grandmas complemented me on my topping choices.

Pancetta
    Name:  pan.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  148.4 KB

Before cooking
    Name:  pizza.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  217.2 KB
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    Was in Italy for a couple of week recently. The last week there we stayed at an agroturismo in Tuscany (http://algelsobianco.it/?lang=en). Absolutely beautiful place. The last Friday, they have a pizza party where they make a bunch of dough and fire up the outdoor wood burning oven. The grandmas that run the food there roll out the dough and provide a bunch of toppings. Pretty standard stuff but I had some excellent Finocchiata pancetta from Macelleria Falornia (the holy temple of salami) so I put that on with fresh picked rosemary, anchovies, and thinly sliced zucchini from the farms vegetable garden and topped with a drizzle of the house olive oil. It turned out awesome and the grandmas complemented me on my topping choices.

Pancetta
    Name:  pan.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  148.4 KB

Before cooking
    Name:  pizza.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  217.2 KB
    are those anchovies? Oh yes... see in your description. So... how did it bake?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Tasted great, but I still cannot (after 20 attempts or so), get it to taste like true Neapolitan style. The last thing I’m going to try is order yeast from Italy.

Name:	58623527000__A89678F6-7FC3-463F-98F4-75EFA3873E7C.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	249.4 KB 
ID:	289789
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

What kind of yeast have you been using?

I get the Fleischmanns pizza crust yeast at grocery store and it works fine.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Tasted great, but I still cannot (after 20 attempts or so), get it to taste like true Neapolitan style. The last thing I’m going to try is order yeast from Italy.

Name:	58623527000__A89678F6-7FC3-463F-98F4-75EFA3873E7C.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	249.4 KB 
ID:	289789
    No offense...but it doesn't even LOOK like a Neopolitan pizza? Too much of everything, and it looks like it was in the oven for 20 minutes or so?

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    No offense...but it doesn't even LOOK like a Neopolitan pizza? Too much of everything, and it looks like it was in the oven for 20 minutes or so?
    Kinda. But really there's very little anything. Way less than the 3 decent Neopolitan style places near my house. I'm using Fleischmann's now, but will try their pizza specific. I've got the oven at the hottest setting, stone on the bottom, Italian Caputo 00 flour, San Marzano tomatoes, etc. It's the crust that's killing me.

Kinda. But really there's very little anything. Way less than the 3 decent Neopolitan style places near my house. I'm using Fleischmann's now, but will try their pizza specific. I've got the oven at the hottest setting, stone on the bottom, Italian Caputo 00 flour, San Marzano tomatoes, etc. It's the crust that's killing me.
    That crust looks too thick, if you can't get it to stretch anymore with your current recipe try adding a bit more water. Some folks claim steel plates work better by holding more heat =faster cooking time with crispier crust.

I have a steel "stone" as well, didn't change it. I've spread the crust thin and left a lot of edge, spread it thicker and had less edge, etc. I've stuck to the recipes and gone drier and wetter. This one, I did the Serious Eats recipe, but I've done others more wet and more dry. I just can't get the crust to bubble, and the taste is wrong. It tastes like Chicago pizza, and not Neopolitan. Like I said, it tastes good, but...

I have a steel "stone" as well, didn't change it. I've spread the crust thin and left a lot of edge, spread it thicker and had less edge, etc. I've stuck to the recipes and gone drier and wetter. This one, I did the Serious Eats recipe, but I've done others more wet and more dry. I just can't get the crust to bubble, and the taste is wrong. It tastes like Chicago pizza, and not Neopolitan. Like I said, it tastes good, but...
    Try adding more yeast if you want the "bubbles" and make sure your stone is getting as hot as possible before before you slide the pizza on it. Either your recipes are shit (most online recipes and their reviews are shit since their comparing their outcome to Dominoes ) or your oven isn't hot enough. You might try putting some water in the oven in a pyrex dish to "moisten" the heated air in the oven. I think most home home just can't create/hold enough heat to make a restaurant quality pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Try adding more yeast if you want the "bubbles" and make sure your stone is getting as hot as possible before before you slide the pizza on it. Either your recipes are shit (most online recipes and their reviews are shit since their comparing their outcome to Dominoes ) or your oven isn't hot enough. You might try putting some water in the oven in a pyrex dish to "moisten" the heated air in the oven. I think most home home just can't create/hold enough heat to make a restaurant quality pizza.
    Well, I've done a couple with the recipe(s) in this thread... I think you're right on the not hot enough. It just can't get there.

From what I have read the Neo is done in a 800-900F oven. You could build one or get that Ooni oven.

That said you can try a few things.

Proof the yeast before hand and use two packs instead of one.

Try a different flour, such as Napoli or AnnA tipo 00.

I also use yeast nutrients for my beer, its possible it could improve the yeast as well.

I also use filtered water and not straight tap water.

I do not often make my dough the day before but you could try that. I usually make mine early in the morning and give it most of the day to rise. I also spread it on the pan and give it an extra rise but I am not making Neo style much.
    watch out for snakes

I've been happy with the 72hr dough recipe from bakingsteel.

This oven looks interdasting, with mods it could be killer pie oven.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VCXTR3J...d_i=B07VCXTR3J

ETA, this oven should be even better and the gas burner option would be titties.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ROO233H7&psc=1
    watch out for snakes

I don't think a home oven can get the stone anywhere near hot enough for Neapolitan style pies. Seeing them go from raw to fully spotted and charred in a minute or 90 seconds on the egg and in the ooni made me a believer.

Doesn't mean you can't make bad ass pies in the oven though. Just not Neapolitan pies...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

watch out for snakes

I've gotten pies pretty close to Neopolitan style by using the skillet-broiler method (use cast iron pizza pan, preheat it over burner until screaming hot, put the pizza on it then immediately put it into the oven top rack as close to the broiler as possible - gets as much heat into the top and bottom of the pie as possible).

As far as crust, are you using a Neopolitan crust recipe? I've had great results with Kenji's: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...gh-recipe.html (the pies come out looking pretty much like the photo in that recipe).
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

try not putting so much stuff on them and in fact leave the middle of the Pizza ( I don't hear anybody call em pies up here ) with no sauce or topping becuz its gona migrate to the center any how but if you leave some off the middle it won't get as soggy/overloaded
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Name:	yPveo9Y.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	746.6 KB 
ID:	290439

So I splurged and got meself this.

It will hit 900F+, fires on pellets, charcoal, wood chunks and there is a propane burner option.

Made dough today, hope to fire it up later this week.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    I've gotten pies pretty close to Neopolitan style by using the skillet-broiler method (use cast iron pizza pan, preheat it over burner until screaming hot, put the pizza on it then immediately put it into the oven top rack as close to the broiler as possible - gets as much heat into the top and bottom of the pie as possible).

As far as crust, are you using a Neopolitan crust recipe? I've had great results with Kenji's: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...gh-recipe.html (the pies come out looking pretty much like the photo in that recipe).
    That's a good link.

I find the grill + stone does a far better job on the crust than an oven--just way too much air to heat up in an oven.

Plugboots, are you cold fermenting the dough? They say 3-4 days in the fridge before using is best. Making the dough the morning of and cooking it yields a bland dough, and adding more yeast just makes it taste...well, yeasty.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    That's a good link.

I find the grill + stone does a far better job on the crust than an oven--just way too much air to heat up in an oven.

Plugboots, are you cold fermenting the dough? They say 3-4 days in the fridge before using is best. Making the dough the morning of and cooking it yields a bland dough, and adding more yeast just makes it taste...well, yeasty.
    Yup. Like I said earlier, I’ve done the recipes by the book and changed them when I read of some slightly different idea.
    This weekend I was in Chicago, and ate at Burt’s http://burts-place.com with family. We love food, and esp. pizza. My sister is a great cook, (she’s been trying out for the American version of British bake-off, or whatever they’re gonna call it), and she can’t get it right either. I felt better.