Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

2008- Fishing Reports.

I was out wetting my line yesterday flying a brown woolly bugger the bass were all over. I was sitting in 2 to 4 feet of water with a sandy bottom tucked away out of the wind. I missed more hits that I could count and got 15 to the boat, 2 to 3 pounds on average and a few in 5 to 7 pound range. Every one of them had crayfish falling out of their mouths and gullets.

Not to much jumpy flippy stuff just good strong pulls.

Edit: Pike were hunting in packs too. I've never seen a school of pike track down bait fish like that. It was cool to watch as they would make a b-line for my fly each time it hit the water. I was pissed that I didn't have a larger streamer or I could of had some more fun.
    Last edited by Andy_B; 04-28-2008 at 06:54 AM.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

Being that I'm in the middle of moving and working at the same time I haven't been out in 2 weeks but have heard decent to good reports from the Jellystone region.

South Fork - Baetis hatch is excellent on typical baetis days.
    Henry's - On and off
    Snake in JH - above the dam = so/so. Below the dam has been decent on the warmer sunny days. We've had a lot of snowy days recently....the last couple days we saw the sun and the whole valley was on the river.

I like the organization of this thread better than my thread with one story. I'm deleting that thread and moving this TR where it belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellin34 View Post
    One of the great laws in PA says that if you are convicted of an alcohol violation at any level you lose driving privileges for three months. I drove my car 40 hours from MT to PA for school so I could fish on days like today but after blowing a .06 at 9:00 on a friday night, I no longer have a license. Fkn cop.
    However, I ran into my fish crazed geology professor yesterday and he's been aching to go, so we went to Penns this afternoon. Penns Cr. was on its way down from the rainstorm two days ago, but was still a bit to high for rising fish. We went over the hill to Fishing Cr. where the water had leveled and was gin clear.
    The caddis were flying everywhere, and there were blue winged olives coming off. I started in at about four o'clock and fished the faster water with a size 16 dark bodied caddis. There were still cobwebs in the fishing part of my brain I guess because I missed the first seven strikes, but I finally got my shit together. As the sun went down the caddis got close to the water and a midge hatch came off. In the slow pools the fish were slurping something off the surface. I tried just about everything in the box but couldn't bring them up. Finally I put on an emerger pattern and 6X tippet, and caught a beautiful 14inch brownie.

It was a great afternoon, and a welcome change to the day to day droll of classes. I'm going to Penns Sunday to whet my appetite again before I get home to western waters.

Eastern Wyoming - mountain streams are good, bigger rivers are starting to get a little muddy as runoff begins. Soon the mountain streams will swell and fishing will mostly be done in the lakes in my area for a while. Not much surface action yet, been fishing near the bottom. Eggs, nymphs, woolly buggers, etc.

The Snake in JH and it's tribs are off color......BUT it's suppose to start snowing AGAIN.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    A few pics and obs from the Green River
    Started the road trip by spending a spring pow day, in a Park City church
    gymnasium helping the president of the local TU chapter give groups of kids a quick speil on keeping lakes and rivers polution free and giving them a chance to cast a fly rod. The sacrifes a son makes to his dad/fishing partner. Kind of funny the girls pretty much were able to outcast most of the boys.
    My pops giving his presentation

After the eccofair we drove up through the snow to Dutch John.
    Fished the A section the next day. A decent midge hatch in the am had a few fish up. Decent action on a 2-3 foot dropper blood midge or Barrs emerger in shallower water.
    Quite a few guide boats nymphing em up pretty good. Partly cloudy weather brought on the BWO hatch early 1:00ish till 5:00. Not too crowded at least for the A section maybe 50 boats and a few dozen tooners.
    Dog and dad stalking risers

Sat loaded up the boat to camp out on the B. Cold and windy made for some tough conditions. Talked the pops into nymphing until blue wings came off later in the afternoon. Good fishing in back eddies and wind formed scumlines.
    4 other boats and a few big parties camping out pretty much everybody else was on the A.

Passed on camping at Red Creek and floated down to Tree tops due to wind.
    Sunday was gorgeous slayed em pretty good on streamer dawn patrol.
    no real hatch on the lower B/upperC but pops got a few on the dropper and a few even ate the cricket/adams.
    a nice brown

Damn good to get out for the first trip of the year and share time w/ my dad and furkid
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Good on ya skifishbum.

Sounds like a perfect day.

nice work!

I made it back to Fishing Cr this afternoon with a Jersey city boy, and good friend, who'd never flyfished before. He got the cast down pretty well on the bank with a bit of work, then sped everything up two speeds on the water.
    The Grannum hatch from last week was over and the red quills haven't started yet. A few fish were rising, but not much bug activity at all. He did bring two up, hooked one and lost him. I can't tell whether he'll be fishing again soon or not but I enjoyed the day.

I hope to get out one more time next week on Penns Cr. before I head back to Montana. Two buddies from school are coming out the second week of May to float the Big Hole River with me from top to bottom. They've never fished either, but I figure with 5 days and 150 miles of water i should be able to teach them.

Edit: I forgot to mention- The spot we parked on Fishing Cr. is at a conference center for a local university and they had some sort of meeting last night. George Daniel, a world renown fly-fisherman and the 08 fly fishing champ, was there giving a casting lesson. I watched him make a couple beautiful casts and land a two inch brownie
    Last edited by Fellin34; 05-02-2008 at 10:06 AM.

Went to the Dowagiac, SW Michigan. Only report is that I still suck at dry-fly fishing.
    Looking California, feeling Minnesota.

I learned last week that Pennsylvania, namely Penns Cr., gets a salmon fly hatch! I had no idea, and found it hard to believe but last night I almost stepped on one going up the stairs to my house!

Any Pa mags fish the big bug this time of year?

Fished the Henry's Fork today. Warm River to Ashton. It was the first real day of gooey water. Releases from the Res. are holding though so fishing was possible. Caddis hatch was good when the sun was out....not many fish up though due to the murky water. Green caddis larva patterns and black rubber legs pulled a handful of fish out of hiding before the nasty hall storm hit. When my camera emerges from all my wet gear, hopefully still working, I'll post a few pics.

Hopefully the lakes ice out soon!!!

Fished a pond in my town today for about half an hour right before dark. I've never fished there before and I only stood on the boat launch but did manage to catch a baby largemouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

Off the dock, black woolly bugger. Had a 20+ inch pike break me off at the dock after this fella worked my over for a few mins.

edit: seventytwo20 i got this on that fly you and I were talking about.
    Last edited by Andy_B; 05-12-2008 at 06:27 PM.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

I feel weird saying this, but we have too much water in MT right now. Of course I haven't checked a lot of places, but all my spots are approximately way too freakin' high to fish. I drove to Spokane a few days ago and the Coeur D'Alene River down from Kingston looked more like an extension of the lake. I guess I'll just have to keep skiing a while longer...

Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma View Post
    I feel weird saying this, but we have too much water in MT right now. Of course I haven't checked a lot of places, but all my spots are approximately way too freakin' high to fish. I drove to Spokane a few days ago and the Coeur D'Alene River down from Kingston looked more like an extension of the lake. I guess I'll just have to keep skiing a while longer...
    Tailwaters and lakes????

Posting mostly to thank Warthog for an awesome couple hours of fishing in the Tampa Bay. Being super windy, we had a hard time fishing his tried-and-true areas for Snook but did end up getting into a couple of little seatrout on a DOA shrimp in the dark. Rest of the weekend was spent throwing clousers and crazy charlies from the flats or sea kayak around Fort Desoto (between the 3 of us fishing we got a ladyfish, a ~ 18" redfish, a ~14" mullet...yes on a fly!...and a couple of pinfish that stole my fly while I was trying to get the sheepshead interested in it). Oh and lots of hardheads and grunts on frozen shrimp at the end or 78th St in St Pete Beach, mostly between the hours of 10pm and 3am. Thanks again dan!
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

Quote Originally Posted by khakis View Post
    Posting mostly to thank Warthog for an awesome couple hours of fishing in the Tampa Bay. Being super windy, we had a hard time fishing his tried-and-true areas for Snook but did end up getting into a couple of little seatrout on a DOA shrimp in the dark. Rest of the weekend was spent throwing clousers and crazy charlies from the flats or sea kayak around Fort Desoto (between the 3 of us fishing we got a ladyfish, a ~ 18" redfish, a ~14" mullet...yes on a fly!...and a couple of pinfish that stole my fly while I was trying to get the sheepshead interested in it). Oh and lots of hardheads and grunts on frozen shrimp at the end or 78th St in St Pete Beach, mostly between the hours of 10pm and 3am. Thanks again dan!
    Glad you had fun. Wish I coulda put you on a big Snook. I should have some pics in the next few weeks of some monsters. Full moon in May. Next Monday I believe. That pier I told you about will be going off, hopefully.

Sorry to hear you pretty much got skunked the rest of the trip. The wind has been rough this spring. Of course, when it dies down, it will be hotter than hell, so it is a toss up.

Hope the wedding was fun. Nice meeting you and (emily?).

The forecast for the greater Jellystone region is for mid 70's for the next 4 days. Temps look to be dropping a little by the end of next week....

This region is about to blow!

I'll correct myself........it's toast....gone...done deal...blown.

River was blown out last night so I thought I work some deep holes.

Started with a Clouser yellow and white, got skunked. Laced up another clouser chart and white. First throw, 2 strips. Smack. lots of head shaking. It was a wee-pike, all of 14 inches. I let him go in a pond in someones back yard about 100 yards down from the hole. No pike in the trout stream.

I just drove across southern Wyoming to SLC and back on I-80. The Big Laramie and the North Platte at I-80 are both WAY high and muddy. The Green River looked high but not as bad as the Platte. Runoff is on.

Fished 8 mile river near Connecticut river on Saturday. Water was clear and low. Tons of insects on the water, looked like olives, some medium and large may flies and some caddis. caught 6 betw me and my dad on nymphs only in the lower section. was hoping to see a salmon, there are signs about them all around but not this time. upper section in the state park looks like terrific water but very slow on the action.
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Been raining for a week here in JH. Low elevation lakes are starting to fish. Heard good reports from the Henry's lake opener. Freestone rivers are high and muddy, although, they are way down from last week due to the cold weather.

Most of the Firehole is fishing...at least until the sun makes it's presence felt and the temps go up.

Regional reservoirs are filling FAST and the high country snow hasn't even begun to come down! This will be an interesting year around here.

If this keeps up, we will be back to the normal start of summer fishing....August.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Been raining for a week here in JH. Low elevation lakes are starting to fish. Heard good reports from the Henry's lake opener. Freestone rivers are high and muddy, although, they are way down from last week due to the cold weather.

Most of the Firehole is fishing...at least until the sun makes it's presence felt and the temps go up.

Regional reservoirs are filling FAST and the high country snow hasn't even begun to come down! This will be an interesting year around here.

If this keeps up, we will be back to the normal start of summer fishing....August.
    Heh. You should go over to Driggs and fish the Teton River in the valley. Since it is spring fed in the valley, it may not bee too bad if you stay between Driggs and Victor (above most of the tributaries).

Just a thought.