Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Horseshoe Park in RMNP fished well today. Flows have come down to ideal IMO. CDC emergers and RS2s were getting the job done. Occasional strikes on drys but risers were sporadic. Surface action picked up right at sundown. Such a killer spot. You can cover so much river in a short distance. Rainbows, Browns and Brookies made for 3 out of 4 for the grand slam. By the way, still a few lines to be had up in the peaks if you're hungry.

Brown Drakes, Brown Trout. Right at sundown the big drakes start to come off the lilly pond.

"and not when I come to die, discover that I have not lived"
    H.D. Thoreau

Fished the South Fork today, (with the rest of the universe- ). Shoulda fished the Green.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Fished the South Fork today, (with the rest of the universe- ). Shoulda fished the Green.
    Really? My wife fished the South Fork yesterday and had a kick ass day.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    Really? My wife fished the South Fork yesterday and had a kick ass day.
    We only had time for the upper. There were guide boats stacked and waiting on almost every riffle. The canyon was apparently only mildly crowded and the lower was smooth sailing....from what I heard. I just like to be a whinny bitch and complain about crowded rivers.

For not hitting the riffles hard, we actually had a great day, fishwise. Don't get me wrong, it is riffle time over there but deep dredging the banks still produced for us and plenty of dry fly action in the back waters and quiet, slow moving side channels. We simply expected, with our noon-thirty put in time at husky, we would have a relatively bumper-boat free float to Conant. We were wrong!

Suit - is your Wife a guide?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Wanna hit the Upper Green over the weekend of the 25th?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    Wanna hit the Upper Green over the weekend of the 25th?
    I could meet you for a day. Keep in mind the upper will prolly be an early and late deal by then.

Silver Creek is off the charts this week. Best trico hatch I have seen in years, maybe ever. Every fish in the creek was up and feeding.

18 inch browns are great sport on 6x and size 22 fly.

Suit - is your Wife a guide?
    Naw. She doesn't row well enough to be a guide. She fished the South Fork with friends, and as you guessed, they put in a ways lower.

We fished the Green at Warren Bridge - camp 8 to camp 4 - today. Went with a guide friend who took our 10 & 12 year old daughters, and my wife and I in a raft. We did pretty well, especially early, and my 12 year old caught a ton of fish. If the sun was behind a cloud, fish were rising.

Good to hear the Green is still crankin'! Suit - I will be forever in debt to you if you bring your wife to the Kids Ranch, (where my wife works), and she can turn my wife on to angling!

I was on the upper South Fork again today. WOW! One of the best days I've had in a long time! Someone in my boat landed a 8.9lb brown....on dry stone pattern! Biggest brown I've seen taken on top in my life. We had a really solid day. Lots of Cuts in the 18-20" range as well as a handful of chunky bows. Never hit a riffle...all were caught on the banks. Drys that produced were, large stone patterns, giant ants, and anything big, ugly, orange and foamy...the salmon flies are there and the fish are eating both nymphs and dries . Mostly girdle bugs and standard mayfly patterns underneath.
    Last edited by schwerty; 07-21-2008 at 09:19 AM.

One quick pic of a beautiful brown Mrs. igBand nabbed yesterday on the Gallatin. Not a huge fish, but definitely a pretty one:

We had a blast. Nymphs in the AM and then surface action in the afternoon. Most of the fish were sitting in the tailouts and foam lines and pretty eager to hit anything on the surface. Nothing huge, mostly in the 10-12" range, but a great day altogether.

Edit: I should also add a quick plug for Bozeman Angler and our guide Ty. It was my wife's first full day on the river and we both agreed that in order to preserve our relationship, a guided day was in our best interest. I think fishing might be kind of like golf...don't try to teach it to your spouse. Not to mention I knew I could take advantage of the instruction too. And in the end, I think it would have been hard to beat the fun we had.
    Last edited by igBand; 07-25-2008 at 07:54 PM.

Some trout stoke from Brush Creek and Mystic Island Lake, Holy cross Wilderness, CO.

Fished the Gallatin at Shed's bridge tonight...caught 4 decent sized (2 'bows/2 browns) just after the sun went down...they seemed pretty hungry tonight. Used some attractors and caddis patterns in yellow to light brown shades.

Spent 4 days in Phillipsburgh (Georgetown Lake) and fished Flint Creek and Rock Creek and absolutely killed it with an elk hair caddis with a bead head pheasant tail dropper. About half and half on which one they were hitting on.
    As a side note, we also went to Butte for Evil Knievel Days, holy shit what a freak show! Good excuse to drink though!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    As a side note, we also went to Butte for Evil Knievel Days, holy shit what a freak show! Good excuse to drink though!
    My brother's in-laws kept trying to get us to come over for the Knieval Days. Their words echoed yours exactly: "C'mon over. Motorcycles jumping over stuff. Parade. And lots of drinkin'". Sounds like something you've got to see at least once in your lifetime. That, and St. Paddy's Day in Butte.

St. Paddy's day in Butte is ridiculous. Go if you get a chance...once is all you need.

St. Paddy's day in Butte is ridiculous. Go if you get a chance...once is all you need.
    I believe you, Although I highly recommend Evil Days, think 40,000 drunks with the extra benfits of stunts!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Today is the Flat Creek, (Elk Refuge), opener in Jackson. Went out at 5am to stalk some Cutties. Lots of water compared to last years opener! Very nice to see. Fishing was decent for early morning hours. No hatches worth noting for anyone planning on heading out at that time of day.... Crane flies started to stir around 7am and some of the smaller fish were chasing them. Small black streamers dragged through the DEEP cutbanks brought a couple average FC Cutts to hand. Dry activity was just heating up as I left around 9am. Should be a solid season out there!
    I only took one photo around 6am...sexy look water!
    Last edited by schwerty; 08-01-2008 at 10:45 AM.

Came up from Denver to Jackson for the opener! Fishing wasn't as plentiful as other years but hooked into some BIG fish and landed one.

^^Vuuuury nice^^^. Sounds like both of you guys had fun.

Schwerty....that 6 am pic is awesome. Definitely makes me want to get down there at some point this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by molson14 View Post
    Came up from Denver to Jackson for the opener! Fishing wasn't as plentiful as other years but hooked into some BIG fish and landed one.
    Long way to come for a Flat Creek opener! If you were there early, in the north lot we prolly crossed paths... Lots of other great fishing around here right now.

The Hoback, Gros Ventre, and Pacific are producing. The Buffalo is coming in as well as numerous other streams. The Snake, especially the lower stretches are decent. The SF seems to be a bit tough but still solid fishing. Green is still $. The HF is still kickin...the Ranch is doing suprisingly well! Jellystone = excellent. Too much to rattle off but it's good for mid summer around here and looks to only get better! Hopefully we get a little moisture to combat the heat one of these days.
    Last edited by schwerty; 08-01-2008 at 08:28 PM.

Fishing has been slow around here lately. It's been hot and water levels are really low right now. I went out Saturday for some "flats" fishing in one of the shallow lakes but got chased off the water by the usual afternoon thunderstorms. I'm not a big fan of the lightning while standing in a shallow lake with not other structures out there.

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty View Post
    Fishing has been slow around here lately. It's been hot and water levels are really low right now. I went out Saturday for some "flats" fishing in one of the shallow lakes but got chased off the water by the usual afternoon thunderstorms. I'm not a big fan of the lightning while standing in a shallow lake with not other structures out there.
    Freaks me out too. The fact that you are swinging a 9' long lightning rod over your head doesn't help the situation.

In my younger days, I would fish until the hair on my arm stood up. Not anymore. Once it was so bad, sparks were arcing from my reel. I've also had it where as you raise your rod up, you could modulate the pitch of the buzz. Got chased off the water this weekend as well.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

In the slight case someone coming to JH or is in JH and I don't know you......

The Snake seemed to have started to go, then...... Twinkie central began. I've only been on the Snake a couple times over the past 2 weeks but it's been the same story. Same type of reports from most guides. The occasional nice Cutty is being taken...mostly dredging. Decent dry action but mostly small fish below town and average reports up in GTNP. This being said ......... it might be in the brink of getting ridiculous!

Flat Creek has been producing, at least for me and a few others I've talked with. BIG gray drakes, some pmd's in the am, crane flies early. My buddy took a nice fish today on a dave's hopper with a bit of action on it.