Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    I have been down in San Diego at a convention all week. I brought my 8 wt fly rod and went out to Mission Bay Monday evening. I caught a 10" Sand Bass on a Clousers Minnow working some kelp. It was the first fish I have ever caught saltwater flyfishing so I am pretty stoked. Now I just wish I had $2000 to spend on a kayak fishing setup so I could properly access all those bays and inshore waters.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Hit Flat Creek here in JH for the evening hatch yesterday. Little windy but when it calmed down some fish were up. Mostly an emerger thing. 2 decent Cutts, no pics. I did attempt a few half ass point-n-shoot scenics.

The overused trail out.

Hopper central

The creek

This here is what you look at when nothing is hatching.

Spent the day on the Ruby in SW MT with my wife. Very slow day, very much unlike my other times on that water. We got there late and had to leave early, so I am sure this impacted our luck. Very few bugs on the water...some spinners early on, but that was about it. Fished mostly nymphs and Mrs. igBand had the fish o' the day but was unable to land it (a 20" brown).

Other than that, the majority of the excitement was when I nearly stepped on a rattlesnake. Definitely made me want to always wear my waders, even when it's this warm. According to my wife, I screamed like a 5 year old girl and jumped 4 feet into the air.

Spent a night in the Uintas fishing Kabell Lake. The hike in was well worth it. Our group of 4 fly fishing jongs netted about 60 fish in about 2 hours fishing at night and 4 hours the next day. You could throw anything on the line and they were hitting it. I just wish we could have gotten out to the middle of the lake where the big guys were rising. Most of the fish (all cuts) were in the 12-14 inch range. At one point it looked like it was raining there were so many fishing coming to the surface. Gotta love fishing somewhere that gets fly fished a handful of times a year.
    Just ski down there and jump of a somethin' fer cryin' out loud!

-Pain McShlonkey

if you don't have someone to do it with, it's not worth doing

lake fork of the gunnison

hit up the lake fork of the gunnison for a quick session last weekend, right in town in lake city. got 2 rainbows (possibly cutbows??) - one small fry and one about 14" that put up a good fight on my 6wt. i know... worthless without pics...
    to all my friends, it's not the end
    the earth has not swallowed me yet

[QUOTE=schwerty;1957295]Hit Flat Creek here in JH for the evening hatch yesterday. Little windy but when it calmed down some fish were up. Mostly an emerger thing. 2 decent Cutts, no pics. I did attempt a few half ass point-n-shoot scenics.

That looks amazing. i'm back in Pennsylvania and missing western fishing

Fished the Snake in JH yesterday. Pics are on my friends camera. I'll post them when I get them.

FINALLY, the big Cutts are coming up! Better yet, they were loving the white/olive double bunnies! We hammered multiple fish on the DB's in the 16 - 19 inch range and had a solid day on dry dropper rigs as well. Only a few twinkies all day. Size 10 and 12 Fat Alberts and Double Humpies on top seemed to be the ticket there. Sparkle-back prince nymphs, (go figure), were the ticket below----believe it or not we didn't hook a Whitey on the prince!

Fished the North Platte River in the the upper Northgate Canyon area on 8/30 and 8/31. Has the most luck with a hares ear nymph and this little tiny tan mosquito looking fly...not sure what it is called and I can't find it online....I picked it up at the fly in Silverthorne last year.

I had some big fish hitting it, obviously a couple got off...it was a size 22 I think. The fish were hitting this mid-day and evening...tons of little brown mosquito's flying above the surface that they were hitting hard!

They seemed pretty selective though...maybe it is because I am a new fly fisherman and the water was moving pretty slow, so my presentation may have caused some problems, but we tried a bunch of stuff and this is the only thing they were taking for me.

A couple other people had some success with a prince nymph....we were the only people I saw or heard of that caught any fish on a dry fly.

Pike are moving back in the shallows for some fall porking action... LMB are still holding in the deeper pockets but are hugery for streamers...

I was on a private lake sunday am, hooked in to 50 LMB and pulled 40 to the shore.

This was an average bass.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

Truckee is fishing well. The crayfish patterns that were killing it a week or two ago are now over. Water is a little warm so dusk and dawn are just about the only good times.

New England is boring.
    Fish are just suiciding onto plugs and flies.
    The end.
    вы все все равно скоро сдохнете

Catch of today. Released smaller ones. Fun times with UL-gear.

Sunday was on the Middle Provo not to far above deer creek. Some sections had very little fly activity, other sections had loads. My friend had good luck with a Hemingway Caddis, I had luck with an elk hair Caddis. Some sections of the river had a TON of caddis out, and at one point I even saw some good size golden stone flies coming out. Plenty of hoppers hoppin around, but I didn't get to give my patterns a toss. Fishing was GOOD!
    sigless.

I don't know if any of you get this newsletter, but I find it pretty helpful. It comes in a pretty format in your inbox and my neophyte computer skills couldn't get the good version to drop in, so here is what you get. It is published each week by Bob Springmeyer who incidently is running for governor of Utah. If you are a Utard, vote for him. That is all.

North Country Fishing Report
    September 8th 2008

GUIDE NOTES:

Subscription Information

VOTE

North Country Fishing Report
    North Country Weather
    High /Low (°F) Precip. %
    Tonight - Sep 087 - Showers - 31° - 30 %
    Mon - Sep 08 - Sunny - 67°/35° - 10 %
    Tue - Sep 09 - Partly Cloudy - 72°/39° - 10 %
    Wed - Sep 10 - Partly Cloudy - 62°/35° - 20 %
    Thu - Sep 11 - Partly Cloudy - 63°/35° - 10 %
    Fri - Sep 12 - Isolated T-Storms - 67°/36° - 30 %
    Sat - Sep 13 - Sunny - 69°/33° - 10 %
    Sun - Sep 14 - Sunny - 68°/33° - 0 %
    Mon - Sep 15 - Mostly Sunny - 69°/35° - 10 %
    Tue - Sep 16 - Mostly Sunny - 71°/35° - 10 %

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long Range Weather
    September, October, November 2008 (SON) long range forecast calls for normal temps and normal precipitation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reservoirs
    9/06/08
    Henry's Lake - 93%
    Island Park - 56%
    Jackson Lake - 83%
    Palisades - 56%
    American Falls - 18%

Flows
    9/06/08
    Henry's Fork below IP Dam - 861 cfs
    Henry's Fork @ Rexburg - 1,199 cfs
    South Fork @ Heii - 11,541 cfs
    Madison @ Kirby Ranch - 3,530 cfs (problems with the dam head gate should be fixed this week and flows should start to decline)

Idaho

Henry's Fork

Upper River - No current report.
    Box Canyon to Last Chance - Streamers early and late. Small beadhead nymph rigs during the day.
    Last Chance - Harriman Ranch - Lots of groceries this time of year. Tricos, PMD duns, spinners, Mahogany's, Baetis and Caddis. Flying ants showing! Noon to 2:00 are the best times to raise some big rainbows. Time to walk the banks and remember the "old timers admonition" wait for three good rises before you move into place! Sight fishing at it's best!
    Warm River to Ashton - Hopper - dropper time.
    Ashton Dam to St Anthony - Late evening caddis and mid day hopper action against the banks.
    Henrys Lake - No current report.
    Silver Creek - Cool and wetter weather have brought on fall Baetis and Mahogany Duns. The fire on the Conservancy section is out and had little impact on the fishing quality.
    South Fork of the Snake -Hoper-dropper time very tight up against the banks. Crowds are down, leaves are turning - a fabulous time to fish the South Fork

Yellowstone Park
    - Remember All Barbless - All the Time!
    Firehole, Gibbon & Madison River in the Park - Fall mode. BWO's, terrestrials and caddis. Soft hackles in the riffles.
    Gallatin - Fishing very well with hoppers, beetles, and ants.
    Slough, Lamar, Soda Butte and Pebble Creek - Fishing well. Hoppers, ants and beetles.

Montana

Madison River - Flows are way up due to dam head gate problems, but should start to decline this week. Fish like you would high run-off with streamers, buggers, etc.
    Hebgen - Warmer weather this week should bring Callibaetis back if the wind stays down.

Utah

Green River, UT - Terrestrial time - hoppers, ants, beetles and attractors are bringing up good fish.
    Provo, UT - Hopper/dropper time. If it is overcast, be sure to bring your Baetis.

Colorado

Frying Pan, CO - Green drakes are still out in the upper section.

Madison River Clean-Up

Thanks to all who participated.

Indian Summer has come to the North Country.

Terrestrials still lead the show, but be prepared with fall Baetis and Mahogany Duns.

Bob

GUIDE NOTES:

Mahogany Dun
    Paraleptroghlebia bicornuta, P. debilis

Red Quill

Seasons:
    Henry's Fork Season - August 20 - September 30
    YNP - Gallatin - July, September - October

Habitat:
    Live in silty, weedy, slower sections

Size:
    #16-18

Nymphs:
    Stout Crawler, Poor Swimmer
    Squared Head, Three Equal Tails, Dark Reddish Brown
    Mature nymphs move to slower water where leaf and other detritus accumulate.
    Look for them in trailing plants and moderate currents.
    Floating nymph may be most important stage to fisherman
    Emergers:
    Size: #16-18
    Mid- morning to mid-afternoon nymphs crawl several inches out of the water on sticks, rocks, and plant stems.
    Some may emerge on sticks or plant stems underwater. Slow to moderate currents
    Duns:
    #16-#18
    Light Dun/Smoky Gray unmarked wings
    Three tails, rounded hind wings
    Dark reddish brown bodies
    Duns remain on the water a long time while drying and extending wings
    Spinners:
    #16-#18
    Can be heavy and important
    Mid-morning and mid- afternoon
    Males have dark bodies and white abdomens
    Females have dark mahogany bodies and pale wings

Time:
    10:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. (Civilized)

Presentation:
    Dead drift
    Quartering downstream with imitation reaching the fish before the leader.

Place:
    WR #16, and "The Lower Ranch" especially silty muddy bottoms
    Strategy:
    Rainbow trout are especially fond of taking nymphs in the surface film.
    Work individual trout rather than casting to groups, study the riseform and feeding rhythm.
    Use light and long tippets and a reach cast upstream or downstream for drag free drift with bug reaching the fish before your leader.
    Patterns with a post or upright wing are easier to see so make a good lead fly with a flush floating dropper.
    Work current seams, slow, shallow margins around plants and weeds.
    Use a low profile and casting angle, keep false casts away from fishing area. On the delivery, place only the fly and tippet in front of the trout. Do not let your fly line land close to the trout, or it will spook.

Patterns:
    Fur Nymph
    Floating Nymph
    Sawyer's Pheasant Tail
    Loop Wing CDC Emerger
    Thorax Mahogany Dun
    Sparkle Dun
    Mahogany Dun Parachute

Tying Bench:
    Mahogany Dun Biot Cripple
    Hookaiichi 1270 or TMC 2312 12-#14.
    Thread: Dark brown or black 6/0.
    Tail:Brown Z-Lon.
    Ribark brown 3/0 monocord.
    Abdomenark brown goose biot.
    Thoraxark brown dubbing.
    Hackle:Black or slate.
    Wing:Black or slate deer or elk hair.

Subscription Information

The North Country Fishing Report is distributed without charge.

Recipients are strongly encouraged to be members and generous supporters of:

The Henry's Fork Foundation - www.henrysfork.org, and/or
    The Yellowstone Foundation - www.ypf.org
    Trout Unlimited - www.TU.org,
    If you or a friend would like to be put on the North Country Fishing Report distribution list, please contact the above, sign up, send a generous check, and then send me a note.

If this communication was sent to you in error or is not of interest, please let me know by replying to this message and place REMOVE in the SUBJECT line.
    I will remove your name immediately.
    It is not my intention to send unwanted email.
    The North Country Fishing Report is sent to you as a service to inform you and your organization of fishing conditions in the Henry's Fork/Yellowstone areas.

Best,

Bob Springmeyer

BobSpring@BonnevilleResearch.com

VOTE

North Country Fishing Information - "Best Shops in the Rocky Mountains"

The fishing information will be provided again this year by the following "Best Shops in the Rocky Mountains"
    Craig Mathews of Blue Ribbon Flies
    Dick Greene of Bud Lilly's Trout Shop
    Steve Schmidt of Western Rivers Flyfishers
    Mike Lawson of Henry's Fork Anglers
    John Huber of Silver Creek Outfitters
    Rich Paini of TroutHunter
    Dennis Breer of Trout Creek Flies
    Show your appreciation by stopping in, booking a trip and buying some of their special bugs.

Ralph Maughan provides the Wolf news.

:: bobspring@bonnevilleresearch.com
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Sunday was on the Middle Provo not to far above deer creek. Some sections had very little fly activity, other sections had loads. My friend had good luck with a Hemingway Caddis, I had luck with an elk hair Caddis. Some sections of the river had a TON of caddis out, and at one point I even saw some good size golden stone flies coming out. Plenty of hoppers hoppin around, but I didn't get to give my patterns a toss. Fishing was GOOD!
    What access point did you go to? I have only been to the one off river road (first right as you come into heber from park city).

I'm thinking about going somewhere on Sunday morning. What time of day did you head up there?
    Just ski down there and jump of a somethin' fer cryin' out loud!

-Pain McShlonkey

I accessed from a private residence, but we were substantially further south from where you have been. I fish both of those spots that you are talking about and they are good. This spot was down further towards Charleston and where the Heber Creeper RR crosses the river. There are more flats down there, not as many good holes, but also no other people on the river.
    Another spot I like going to is right below the Jordanelle damn. Take a left at the light comin into town and then another quick left and that is a decent spot as well. There are lots of good access points to the river from Jordanelle all the way down towards Deer Creek. PM me if you want some more info.
    Parker
    sigless.

This needs to be BUMPED, cuz western Brown are about to pop.

I don't have much time these days to get out due to a month old daughter and our economy in the shits. But,
    from what I hear, things are really heating up as far as fall brown go in the Jellystone region. The Snake here in JH has been doing well, especially for dry fly fishing----no crowds either!

Lewis Lake is getting hot! I'll be there and in The Channel next weekend!

The South Fork is dropping, so a bit hit or miss. Browns should be staring to get feisty soon. I'll come back with a report on Wednesday.

The Salt, for those of you that may fish it, has been great. It's been 3 weeks since I was there but word is, it is fantastic.

I haven't caught a fish in 3 weeks... shit
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I haven't caught a fish in 3 weeks... shit
    Me either. Double shit.

Full day floating the Colorado above Dotsero on Sunday. A couple of browns off the banks, but otherwise very slow. I tried the vanilla bugger that was recommended here and lost both of them to fish. I'll definitely be tying more of them. I tied it with a silver beadhead, long hackle angled toward the head, green maribou tail, and burnt orange thread. Very effective, especially when compared to the more traditional offerings used later on.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague