Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellin34 View Post
    Him actually, he has this place
    http://flyfishinglodge.com/
    You guys run a solid operation!

Thanks! I'm off to the airport to pick up our first group.
    It got really cold here last night so i'm hoping the Big Hole came down a little. The Beaverhead is really dirty and the Big Hole was up over 6000 cfs yesterday. I can't wait for the first warm day so these salmon flies can pop.

I'm wondering if it's ever gonna get warm here.

The big bugs have been popping on the H. Fork but that's about it around here...from what I've heard. Everything else is still running way too cold.

Sorry I have been slow on the updates, I've been wrestling this monster around the great-blue-yander. I hooked in to her with my 3wt, while floating in my tube she pulled me around for a good few days. She ran me to the backing a few times, but I plamed the reel and stopped her dead. My good pal likwid, drove out in his fishing rig and gaffed the bitch for me.

That's likwid, its really his fish. 100lb bluefin tuna on light tackle
    Last edited by Andy_B; 06-10-2008 at 05:10 PM.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

hey fellas, Im living at colter bay working on the cruise boats all summer and spending my days off at my parents cabin on henry's lake. I familiar with fishing in Island park but I have no idea how to fish in the tetons. so far I get out the fly rod for an hour or two and fail miserably so I get out the spinning rod go down to the dam and land a few. It makes me feel so cheap. anyway, Id love some tips on fishing here (espeically what flies to buy) or if any of you want to hook up and go fish one night that'd be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Duker View Post
    hey fellas, Im living at colter bay working on the cruise boats all summer and spending my days off at my parents cabin on henry's lake. I familiar with fishing in Island park but I have no idea how to fish in the tetons. so far I get out the fly rod for an hour or two and fail miserably so I get out the spinning rod go down to the dam and land a few. It makes me feel so cheap. anyway, Id love some tips on fishing here (espeically what flies to buy) or if any of you want to hook up and go fish one night that'd be sweet.

I'm definitely down to go one day. How long are you here till? after august, flat creek is definitely bumping.

Here's something to keep in mind: Jack Dennis = The Shit. The guys over there at Jack Dennis will tell you exactly whats hot, where to go, what holes to try out, what to cast with, how to wipe your ass to avoid chaffing.

I kid you not. Anytime I need the DL on some sort of anything, they are the ones to hook me up. Just head back to the flyshop and look for someone argueing with a tourist.

"Where's the town square?"

Salmon Flies on the Upper Colorado

With water levels coming down a bit, around 3, 000 c.f.s, the water temps have become ideal for the Giant Salmon Fly to make it's appearance. Though not extremely heavy, there are plenty for trout to take notice. Floated last Sunday evening and caught the hour of power. Many on top with a Rogue Giant Stone and also underneath with the Stinger Stone. Streamer fishing was exceptional with Flashbuggers in Motoroil or Black, Near Nuff Sculpins in Olive and Slumpbusters in Black, Olive or Rust. I would pay close attention to water levels in the upcoming days/week for more prolific hatches. If things come down just a bit more, hatches will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by tshirt.slinger View Post
    .......I kid you not. Anytime I need the DL on some sort of anything, they are the ones to hook me up. Just head back to the flyshop and look for someone argueing with a tourist.
    Not too shit on JD's staff but I would beg to differ on that! I've heard some of the crew, (not everyone), give poor advice to "locals" and visitor on locations and flies. In fact, I heard someone in there do it today! He deliberately didn't mention a stream that's fishing well to someone who asked and then boasted about it to someone else...this is not the first time I've come across this in there! But again, I like a few of the guys back there. Not everyone will do that.

High Country and Westbank are usually good options as well.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Not too shit on JD's staff but I would beg to differ on that! I've heard some of the crew, (not everyone), give poor advice to "locals" and visitor on locations and flies. In fact, I heard someone in there do it today! He deliberately didn't mention a stream that's fishing well to someone who asked and then boasted about it to someone else...this is not the first time I've come across this in there! But again, I like a few of the guys back there. Not everyone will do that.

High Country and Westbank are usually good options as well.

well that's dissapointing to hear. I like westbank, and they usually have some killer deals on flys if you watch the KMTN mailer or whatever its called. High Country likes to argue with me about stuff, though. It always makes me LOL.

'my friend caught a nice cuttie on a fat albert in flat creek yesterday.'
    'No he didn't, your friend is wrong. He must have been using some sort of blah blah blah to pull anything out of that water. I am high country, hear me roar!'

But aside from the handful of cases like that, they know their shit.

FKNA!!! NICE FISH LIKWID!!!

That's an awesome fish, really, I want to go try and catch one after seeing that pic. Holy Shit.

Care to shed some light on the details for us less-experienced salt-water fishermen? General location, bait, etc?

I wouldn't ask but you did post this in the fishing reports thread.

^^ He's not on here anymore, you'll have to track him down on the world wide web.

but shoot me a pm. I'll pass your info on to him.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by tshirt.slinger View Post
    well that's dissapointing to hear. I like westbank, and they usually have some killer deals on flys if you watch the KMTN mailer or whatever its called. High Country likes to argue with me about stuff, though. It always makes me LOL.

'my friend caught a nice cuttie on a fat albert in flat creek yesterday.'
    'No he didn't, your friend is wrong. He must have been using some sort of blah blah blah to pull anything out of that water. I am high country, hear me roar!'

But aside from the handful of cases like that, they know their shit.
    I know the guys, (JJ, Howard, and Schwarm), well and would be very surprised to hear they would say shit like that to a customer. Don't know much about the summer staff though...

IMO, most fly shops in this region have some employees, (sometimes owners and guides), who have the "I'm cooler than you cuz I work in a fly shop" attitude. It's too bad, it hurts their sales. All in all, I think we have a pretty good crop of shops here. They just get some seasonal help once in a while that doesn't quite understand that their job is more than just standing around trying to look cool and maybe stringing up a reel every so often! I worked in a shop a long time ago....your job is to ASSIST customers the best way possible and be friendly and forthcoming with knowledge to everyone. Of course you don't go around giving detailed directions to your "hidden" holes but.... Standing around with a fishing shirt on while inside talking to your fly shop buddies ain't part of the deal. Seems to be a fare share of that in this area during the summer season.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_B View Post

What a photoshop job! Quite impressive, especially when you consider this is the fish he really caught:
    Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

Yeah, I agree. The core group of employees around town are generally helpful. But summer help is always hit or miss. I run into the same problem at my store, too...

Plus, sometimes you can't help but get frustrated with the influx of tourists...even if they are our pulse.

if you don't have someone to do it with, it's not worth doing

Post PSA: CO flows, releases, etc

Trout rivers running fast with runoff
    By Ed Dentry, Rocky Mountain News
    Monday, June 9, 2008

Low bridge, everybody down.

Trout rivers are flush with runoff, although not entirely unfishable to those who have a knack for creeping along shore and making short casts to mini-eddies.

The standard runoff alternative is to fish harnessed tailwater below dams, but many of those clear currents are higher than normal, too.

Flows in the Fryingpan River and the Blue River below Green Mountain Dam have been boosted to deliver higher flows to the lower Colorado River to help endangered native fish spawn.

The U.S. Bureau of Reclamation had anticipated drawing on naturally high flows from abundant snowmelt in the Colorado River Basin, but cool weather has slowed the runoff.

To provide flows needed for the Upper Colorado River Endangered Species Recovery Program, the agency started stepped-up releases from Ruedi Reservoir on Wednesday, from less than 400 cubic feet per second to 861 cfs Monday.

BOR announced Monday evening, however, that the augmented flows no longer are needed. It plans to step down the Fryingpan flows in 50 cfs increments until Saturday, when the river should have dropped to 361 cfs.

The Blue River below Green Mountain Reservoir currently has swollen to 757 cfs from a short recess Sunday, when BOR dropped flows to less than 300 cfs. The lower Blue hit a plateau of 1,200 cfs last week.

At Silverthorne, the Blue is cruising at a more manageable 500 cfs, which is high enough to put trout on the feed for mysis shrimp, which have been pouring through Dillon Dam, but not prohibitively high for fishing.

A sampling of other waters:

* The Colorado River is rolling along at its muddy finest at Parshall and Kremmling (1,460 cfs), at Dotsero (8,320 cfs) and Glenwood Springs (13,500 cfs).

* The Roaring Fork is a big 1,150 cfs at Aspen and a hearty 4,580 cfs at Glenwood Springs.

* Taylor Park Reservoir is releasing 716 cfs into the Taylor River, which is far above average flows of less than 250 cfs for early June.

* The Gunnison River is flush at 3,260 cfs near Gunnison, or about 1,000 cfs above average. In Gunnison Gorge, however, flows have dropped from 7,000 cfs a week ago. The Gorge now is running about average for early June, at 3,360 cfs and clearing.

Cool weather has reined in runoff in the Arkansas River, but currents remain high and muddy (2,800 cfs at Wellsville). River edges, however, have been clear enough to fish.

In the midst of all this heavy water, the close-to-home Cheesman Canyon and Deckers stretches of the South Platte River have been Old Reliable, burbling at a mild 156 cfs. Elevenmile Canyon also is angler-friendly at 150 cfs.

Of course, all this is written in snowmelt. A return to warmer weather could quickly bring muddy rises and even rampaging floods.

Warm and dry weather on the Eastern Plains also could boost those South Platte River flows overnight in response to greater irrigation demands.

Anglers headed for rivers would do well to check river currents to avoid disappointing trips and waste of precious fuel. The flows are posted at the Colorado Division of Water Resources Web site, www. DWR.State.CO.US/ SurfaceWater/default.aspx.

So far, the colder-than- normal weather has measured runoff out in only moderately heavy doses. But rivers and streams are cold, with water temperatures averaging in the 40s.

Taking a plunge can result in rapid hypothermia and inability to swim, so anglers should be cautious when scrambling over shoreline rocks.

Even better, this might be a good time to give the casting arm some exercise over flat water on a relatively tame lake or reservoir.
    to all my friends, it's not the end
    the earth has not swallowed me yet

It's snowing in SW Montana. I thought I was going to lose my fingers this week unhooking fish in 30 degree snow storms. We caught fish on buggers on the Big Hole, some really nice fish too, and brought some up on midges down in the Beaverhead Valley.

It's snowing agian today in Wise River but is supposed to be 70 tomorrow. Don't tell anybody but the big bug should be poppin this week if the weather warms up.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_B View Post
    Sorry I have been slow on the updates, I've been wrestling this monster around the great-blue-yander. I hooked in to her with my 3wt, while floating in my tube she pulled me around for a good few days. She ran me to the backing a few times, but I plamed the reel and stopped her dead. My good pal likwid, drove out in his fishing rig and gaffed the bitch for me.

That's likwid, its really his fish. 100lb bluefin tuna on light tackle
    That shirt is fucking classic. I'd pay good money for that one!

P.S. Nice Fish.
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

Floated the Henry's fork today (saturday) from warm springs to highway 20. Very windy but tons of fun !!!! The water is moving but clear enuff for dry's and the big bugs should be going off soon !!!!

Fished Oak Creek this afternoon, the only perennial stream near Flagstaff, which eminates from hundreds of springs from under the Coconino Plateau.

There were three more of these,

And some columbine,

It was a good afternoon.

I got a day off yesterday so I went fitchin in a high mountain meadow in the Pioneers. Caught several beautiful brookies all about this size, one 10 incher, and one grayling. It felt great to be up there.

And then it was back to work today on the Beaverhead.

My client, a great kid from New Orleans, landed this 22in hog on a size 18 nymph!

Nice. she's a little football!

Truckee River is fishing awsome, hooked this nice bow on a pink San Juan, had a huge brown on but lost him. The dog is still unsure of what these things are I yank out of the river.

Got invited to fish on a guy's ranch near Dillon, Mt. Three big ponds that had been stocked several years ago. The fish eat mostly scuds, I think, turning them pinkish.

A nice bow caught on top with a callibaetis.

A fat, pink brookie taken with a scud pattern. Camera phone shot.

5B, what side of Dillon? I was down there today just north of town on a spring creek. we caught a couple nice ones, this one we pulled out on a bugger just before packing up for the day. Definitely the biggest fish i've netted in the west.

McCoy Creek

client and the bow

She measured 25 inches. I'm on the Big Hole tomorrow, let's hope those salmon flies pop soon, or tomorrow!

the Big Hole has a few salmon flies but the fish sure don't know about it! Fishing was pretty bad this week.