Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2008- Fishing Reports.

^^^ blown as of last week. Could be in better shape now though from the chilly weather.

There are a bunch of small tribs that run into it up there. Nothing too major but enough to disturb the fishing.

Heading to the Firehole tomorrow.

Foiled! My dad and I have been planning a week long trip on the Big Horn since last January. I know planning that far in advance can be iffy, especially this time of year (although not the last six years) but since it is a tail water we thought we would be in good shape. After three days of packing and anticipation, we found out that the powers that be opened the dam to let out 4,500 CFS, up from the 1,500 CFS it has been all spring. Alas, one of the last rivers in MT is now also blown out!

Oh well, I guess i'll spend the week golfing, fishing small streams, and skiing

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    ^^^ blown as of last week. Could be in better shape now though from the chilly weather.

There are a bunch of small tribs that run into it up there. Nothing too major but enough to disturb the fishing.

Heading to the Firehole tomorrow.

I talked to a friend who caught a nice 16" brown out of the firehole this week. Supposedly it's clear and fishing well but i'm guessing it will be crowded. Hebgen was also reportedly fishing well. Good luck!

schwerty - do you ever get over and fish the Wind River up from Dubois? That's some damn pretty country in there.

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty View Post
    schwerty - do you ever get over and fish the Wind River up from Dubois? That's some damn pretty country in there.
    You bet! Some great water up there. Muddy as hell for a while though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellin34 View Post
    Foiled! My dad and I have been planning a week long trip on the Big Horn since last January. I know planning that far in advance can be iffy, especially this time of year (although not the last six years) but since it is a tail water we thought we would be in good shape. After three days of packing and anticipation, we found out that the powers that be opened the dam to let out 4,500 CFS, up from the 1,500 CFS it has been all spring. Alas, one of the last rivers in MT is now also blown out!

The BH should, (???), be fishing at that level if it's been holding for a couple days. Unless, the res is full of gooey brown shit passing through the dam.

The BH should, (???), be fishing at that level if it's been holding for a couple days. Unless, the res is full of gooey brown shit passing through the dam. I'm no expert on the BH but that river used tp flow lots higher and fish better before the WY jet skiers and bait anglers demanded more res water. 4500cfs could be a great floating level..prolly a bit tough to wade??
    Last edited by schwerty; 05-28-2008 at 08:57 AM.

The BH should, (???), be fishing at that level if it's been holding for a couple days. Unless, the res is full of gooey brown shit passing through the dam.

That's a pretty abrubt change in flow and water level, but i've never fished the Big Horn. The report from an outfitter friend over there was that they were still catching fish, but only on the San Juan Worm. It's a long way to drive to chase an indicator and I don't like that fly.

How was the Park?

Haven't gone to the Park yet....working til 10. Might pass due to warmer weather. Not sure yet. Lakes are really starting to shine, (the ones with no ice of course). So, I may take the boat up to Jackson lake and pack the cooler with a few beers and call it a day.

You don't like the San Juan worm? I don't really blame you for not wanting to drive that far to dredge from a boat but there are some hogs! Aren't you in Bozone? Why not hit the Mo?

I was up in Great Falls this weekend and the Missouri was chocolaty all the way to Helena, the Madison may be ok but I'm putting my boat on Georgetown lake tomorrow. I hear there are some pretty big brookies looking up top this time of year. Friday i'll either float the Beav or wade the Clark Fork.

Beav will be toast after Grasshopper...I would imagine???

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    Anybody hit Daniels or Henry's Lake on the opener? Been spending my time down in Central Utah at about 8400 elevation chasing tigers, and cutts, and bows' oh my!
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

I've been hearing good things from Henry's lake anglers. Most of the lakes up here are fishing well.

Drove 40 minutes to Georgetown Lake today, put my boat in, geared up- damn. forgot the rods! After flying back down the canyon to our campground to get them, we rigged up and had a great day. They were taking caddis on top until it started pouring. The hail storm must have woke them up because as soon as it turned back to rain they were nailing streamers. We caught 10 bows between my dad and I.

View of the cove from above:

View from boat:

It was the first fishing trip for our new lab, Gus. He didn't know what the hell was going on until we started catching fish, then he got excited

Nice bow

My dad caught a beautiful 18" bow, but i couldn't get my camera going after dropping it in the bottom of the boat. Here's one rainbow on the way in:

Couldn't help but dream of skiing, it's been dumping here all week:

Just got around to buying my fishing license today, I might go out saturday and throw some flies at a few lethargic bass and stocked trout while in a post-surgery drug haze. Woohoo!

Fellin - That Georgetown trip deserves it's own thread! I loves me some GT action. There are some HOGS in there. It's hard to beat the Pintlers as a back drop too!

Went up to Jenny Lake in grand Teton Nat'l Park with the float tube yesterday. My photos are definitely not worth a separate TR! The fishing was decent. Unfortunately, no fish pics....it takes me too damn long to figure out my wifes camera when I'm not sitting in freezing water and trying to release a fish without the camera going for a swim. 4 fish in about 1.5 hrs on the water. All Cutts in the 16" range. First on JJ, the rest on Zonkers. Others seem to be having success out there too. I saw a fella land a fairly large, (30ish"), Mack. Lots of cutts starting to move into the shallows also!
    Craft of choice

My failed attempt at an artsy shot

East shore. The east shore has a 10-15 foot shelf/shoreline with about a foot of water. It drops quickly. Making for good trout habitat.

West shore and Cascade Canyon. Just a few good lines back there.

no kings yesterday just 2 steelhead kelts might try again tomorrow
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Schwerty that is a beautiful shot of the mountains. That water looks damn cold!

Well I woke up to snow this morning and the Big Hole is already really high so who knows what the fishing will be like this week. It's supposed to be cold and rainy all week, and i'm supposed to start work on the river this saturday! Can't complain about the moisture though.

Schwerty that is a beautiful shot of the mountains. That water looks damn cold!

Well I woke up to snow this morning and the Big Hole is already really high so who knows what the fishing will be like this week. It's supposed to be cold and rainy all week, and i'm supposed to start work on the river this saturday! Can't complain about the moisture though.
    Yeah it was damn cold.

Are you guiding on the BH?

Yeah, and the beav, bitterroot, and some spring creeks

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch

It was the first fishing trip for our new lab, Gus. He didn't know what the hell was going on until we started catching fish, then he got excited

Nice pic
    Damn you bear a sacry reseblance to Splat
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Haha, that's actually my dad.

Haha, that's actually my dad.
    He still is a Splat look-alike.

Who you guidin' for?

He still is a Splat look-alike.

Who you guidin' for?

Him actually, he has this place
    http://flyfishinglodge.com/