Nutrition for rehabing a trashed knee?

My mom blew her knee up in December at SnowBird, skiing on fucking markers.I tried to tell her, now she will listen. She is 4 months into rehab after extensive surgery and feels like she should be farther along. She is losing muscle mass in her leg quickly even though she is rehabbing on a regular basis with a therapist. What are some nutritional things she might consider to help with recovery? Thanks Mags.

www.nutriex.com

order Nutriex Sport.

So whats the dealio on the Nuriex stuff? I looked at the website, its piss poor at best. They have no information to support their sales. I wanted to see some concrete evidence of why I should buy it, but there is none. All my doctors and PT's have said that the glucosamine etc really have no supported evidence that they in fact make a difference.

Anyone here know different?

I have no financial interest in this company.

My personal experience with my trashed joints using glycosaamine and chondroitin has been good.

The conspiracy theorists believe that since it is not a drug and no greedy corporation can get rich on it, it is not promoted in this country. I, however, am not a conspiracy theorist and do not believe that FDR was behind Pearl Harbor, Bush was behind 9/11, and I do believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.

Evidence based studies you wont find in the USA. The European literature is positive on it.

But, just looking at issues relating to the injured knee, the lack of evidenced based studies
    never seems to stop the people who have or perform:

1. allograft ACL surgery
    2. "healing response" surgery
    3. Microfracture surgery
    4. knee braces
    5. Arrow or dart meniscal repairs
    6. lateral retinacular release surgery for patellofemoral disorders
    7. PCL reconstruction of any type
    8. Surgery to repair the medial collateral ligament

In short, GAG and Chond. Sulphate have no known complications, is not expensive, and may be helpful.

And no one is forcing you to take it.
    Last edited by drmark; 04-26-2008 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakofSnow View Post
    So whats the dealio on the Nuriex stuff? I looked at the website, its piss poor at best. They have no information to support their sales. I wanted to see some concrete evidence of why I should buy it, but there is none. All my doctors and PT's have said that the glucosamine etc really have no supported evidence that they in fact make a difference.

Anyone here know different?
    I only can speak of gluco. and condro. on a first hand basis. I use the stuff if I am going on long strenuous excursions and load it for 2 weeks prior. I have noticed a big difference in less joint aches. I also feed my hunting lab dog food with it in it and have noticed a major improvement on hard days afield. Thanks drmark, I will further look into the supplement. Any other nutritional needs that she should look at in bio foods? Any others have input?

I have three Labs and one of mine has knee arthritis. I am going to start her on it too. Thanks

I have heard that pills arent good because they go right through you and do not get absorbed into your body. if you take fish oil, you are supposed to take the actual oil, not in pill form. i'd like to get these for myself, my dad and my dog, as we are all gimps, but i am wary of pills. I dont take vitamins.

I am taking nutriex sport.

I have found i recover quicker, and my immune system is stronger. I just feel better period.

Try it, it has the gloco etc, plus alot of other stuff