Jackson Hero vs. WS Diesel vs. Pyranha Burn

Looking to replace my Perception Phat with one of the newer river runner/creeker hybrids. I don't like much about the Phat other than it was a cheap hand-me-down. It's slow, tracks terribly, isn't a good boofer and peels out of eddies like a beached whale.

I have used it primarily to run class IV creeks (Ten Mile, Upper Clear Creek) and bigger water (Westwater over 12K, Dowd Chute over 3.5', and a solid-level Numbers) where my Jackson Fun just doesn't make me feel comfortable.

I'm happy with my Fun, so I'm thinking of going with the Hero, but open to other suggestions. I like the Jackson outfitting and durability of the plastic. I've heard to stay away from the Burn because of the cheap outfitting and don't really know much about the Diesel.

Me: 6', 170#.
    Last edited by cmsummit; 04-24-2008 at 03:20 PM.
    Old's Cool.

Burn. Cheap outfitting or not - I usually outfit my boat myself after I decide that I'm going to keep it around for awhile.

The Diesel is a fun boat, but didn't seem as fast or as tight-handling as the Burn. Haven't paddled the Hero, but I wouldn't hold on to the thought that Jackson plastic is any better than other manufacturers...it could lead to some disappointment based on what I have been seeing lately. Wavesport plastic is suspect as well, as is Pyranha, LL, Riot, etc. Prijon or Eskimo are the only boats made with better plastic than the rest of the lot IMO. Just my $0.02.

Try the medium Burn, you just might like it. Try the Large next. If not, get the Hero. I like Jackson boats, too.

Have you tried the Bliss Stick Huka or Mystic-they're nice boats.

I just paddled both the Mystic and the Hero within the past week. I'm 6'2 200 and I was a little big for the Mystic. Got stern squirted a lot in it if I wasn't all the way forward, but that aside, it was a great boat (though heavy as hell).

The Hero is a sweet boat. Super comfy, tracks really well (as it should), boofs well, resurfaces great, turns and carves well and the rounded stern really doesn't catch in holes. Really makes me want to try the Super Hero and the Rocker.

Diesels are a good design, but they're an old design. That flat back deck catches pretty easy.

Burns are sweet, but take some time outfitting it right... they're also an XL deck, so you may have to get a new skirt.

I got in a rocker the other day (6'3 200) and with some pads adjusting it fit like a glove. Its an option for your size, and from what I hear its a great boat on creeks. Its fun to paddle in the pool anyways, you should give it a spin anyhow.

Not to hijack, but all the mystic talk.

Some guy is selling a repaired mystic for extremely cheap. Me , 5'8 145ish relative beginer. Good pick up or save my money?

^^

Define "cheap". What is the repair? My cracked boats, after a repair that does not involve plastic welding, usually go for about a case of Dead Guy. I feel that a cracked boat with a repair (that isn't a weld) is usually worth 2x that amount, but for me it is more about giving the boat a good home after providing me with so much fun.

Boats with plastic weld repairs are pretty much guaranteed to break again. Soon.

The Mystic is a nice boat (a little heavy, supposedly due to the layup - which would make me wonder about the life of the boat if it had to be repaired). If it's in good shape other than the repair - it could be worthy of a cheap price (< $100). Any more than that and you might as well spend a little extra to get a boat that hasn't been cracked, even if it isn't the latest and greatest model. There are plenty of relatively inexpensive used creek/river-play boats for sale that aren't repaired. I've never liked the thought of selling a known broken boat - I'd rather do a trade of some sort.

Just my opinion, though.

the diesal is my chicken boat for when I don't wana paddle the play boat ,its more of a RR boat .I got it for chicken applications and a 3 day self support trip AND I could work off the price of the used boat .

if you like the WS F.A.T. out fitting & fit well in WS (and I do) the boat fits well and has a ton of room ,it uses the old school movable bulkhed system .There are 2 seat systems ,the same one as in my zg54 and a newer version i have heard about but not seen ,I believe the newer seat system has more support for the hull ,the old style seat kinda hangs from the side wall and doesnt support the bottom rib ,I put a 1" piece of mini celll under the front of the seat to help support the bottom structural rib .

It rolls easy , a flat bottom hull so it feels like the current crop of flat hulled boats but I found even in a simple front surf water loads up on the back deck and kicks you sideways where it wouldnt in a play boat.Its slow loaded with gear but the guys I was paddling with had a big creeker and an old school long boat. I got a bud who uses his creeking but I don't know if thats the real application for the diesal ...just a nice river running boat
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-28-2008 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtcham View Post
    Have you tried the Bliss Stick Huka or Mystic-they're nice boats.
    is the mystic & huka the same boat more or less the mystic being the larger size ?

I paddled a Huka up in the yukon ,my one and only time in a creeker and I found it really easy to get used to ... felt like I was reverting back to the old dancer days

^^^

Pretty much totally different boats. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. I had a Huka for a while back in 2003, and I liked it. It was from the first production run. Since then, they've seemed to cut down on the amount of plastic in the boat, and the footbraces are no longer made out of that cool diamond plate aluminum (I think). I like the Mystic better - better length, better lines, better shape, and the plastic seems to be at least a little stronger than the trimmed-down Huka. I always thought it was a bit of a cork. Nothing else out there that is similar IMO. $0.02