Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Meanwhile the search continues for a safe nonaddicting pain med.
    I heard an interview on NPR a few weeks back with a doctor/researcher/medical ethicist about the opiate epidemic. He was a younger guy who was into skiing/biking and had a serious injury requiring surgery. On the way to the hospital he was given an intravenous painkiller that was very effective and without the high of opiates. Later the hospital tried to put him on the typical regimen of opiates, and worried about addiction he asked if he could get what he'd been given at first. After some prodding it turned out he'd been given intravenous acetaminophen (tylenol) and while it was effective the hospital was restricted from using it due to the high cost. Apparently the intravenous form is still under patent and costs big $$ per dose compared to pennies for a pill. He seemed to think this form of painkiller could replace opiates in many cases with no risk of addiction if it weren't for the cost. I'm sure there were more details than that, but was sure interesting to hear his take on it being a doctor and a patient.

Possibly liver issues if continuous use was needed could be another problem with it? OG?

ketamine also holds promise for pain when used in hospital. unfortunately I suspect we'd face the same abuse and addiction issues if formulated for out of hospital use. Never heard of IV tylenol - that is interesting. Hard to imagine price being preventative - high priced drugs are all the rage in a private for profit health care system!

I don't know much about IV Tylenol but that doesn't address the problem of outpatient treatment.
    The labeling says it's indicated for mild to moderate pain, or for severe pain if uses with opioids. It carries this black box warning:

Black Box Warnings
    Medication errors and hepatotoxicity
    Take care when prescribing, preparing, and administering acetaminophen IV to avoid dosing errors which could result in accidental overdose and death
    In particular, be careful to ensure that
    The dose in milligrams (mg) and milliliters (mL) is not confused
    The dosing is based on weight for patients <50 kg
    Infusion pumps are properly programmed
    The total daily dose of acetaminophen from all sources does not exceed maximum daily limits
    Acetaminophen has been associated with cases of acute liver failure, at times resulting in liver transplant and death
    Most of the cases of liver injury are associated with the use of acetaminophen at doses that exceed the maximum daily limits, and often involve more than one acetaminophen-containing product

I find it odd that a physician would be concerned about becoming addicted from inpatient opioids. BTW--opioids given in proper doses do not make pain patients high, although the same dose might have a psychoactive effect in the same patient if they were not in pain.

Well, they finally took their names down at the Met.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...e-sackler-name

Which I thought had already happened. Still up at other institutions.

Watch Dopesick. It's a really unpleasant tale.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    BTW--opioids given in proper doses do not make pain patients high, although the same dose might have a psychoactive effect in the same patient if they were not in pain.
    People always claim they got high on the hospitol shit but I've never got high, hospital opiates have always been disappointing

The few times they gave it to me in hospitol all it did was make me sleepy,
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    People always claim they got high on the hospitol shit but I've never got high, hospital opiates have always been disappointing

The few times they gave it to me in hospitol all it did was make me sleepy,
    They don't necessarily get a euphoric high but it's enough to start the path to addiction, and then they start going for more and getting fucked up. This is the "funny" thing about all of the anti vaxxers talking about big pharma pushing it for the profit... even with the legal settlements, oxy is the biggest pharma cash cow in the history of medicine. The profits from covid vaccines are a drop in the bucket, relatively speaking (not to mention it helped further advance mRNA research which is good for them in the long run just as an investment even if they only broke even).

And yeah, anytime I get subscribed pills for an injury I feel completely dried out and the experience is awful... but I guess if you're in enough pain over a long enough period things start to change? They must.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Sackler’s full 8 hour depo has finally been released. I may digest it in 30 minute chunks over the next week or two. Should be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

An open letter to all the pushers of Oxycontin.....

It’s interesting to scroll back to the beginning of this thread…. Many mags blaming the issue on the users and somewhat defending PP. I imagine most of those guys have a different opinion now, 13 years later….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I started working for a company that did pharmaceutical new product launches, product knowledge training, sales training materials in May of 2000. I was cataloguing their prior projects for a marketing materials database I was building and came across the Purdue Pharma Oxycontin materials. I just shook my head looking at them and the BS about it being safe... I'm thinking "oh that's just fucking great... heroin pills??" What the actual fuck!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!