JONG-Q : What do you guys think of these boats?

Looking for a boat to start out kayaking (I've been lots of times on rented boats, but was looking for something to let me do some kayaking around me and in Wales).

The basic Reqs would be - 1). To be able to go quite long distances without too much strain; 2). Be able to be used for dropping small waterfalls and in heavier rapids; 3). Be able to use it for some light surfing, if the opportunity calls.

I've found some, what look like, good started packs - tell me what you think.

http://www.roho.co.uk/canoe/canoeing_packages.html

edg

The top ones are pretty good for newbies, but I can't really tell ya about the prices as I am not a worldly man, in fact I'm barely even a nationly man, I'm more of a my room man.
    I'm scared Poncho.

Bullshit! You ain't afraid of no man!

There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die.

depends on what kind of "long distances" you're looking at doing. if you want to do any kind of long flatwater trips the perception arc package might be the most comfortable. but if you're only thinking of short trips across nonmoving water but long stretches of moving class I stuff, then the disco makes a really good beginner boat that can still do most of the newest moves, and has a fair amount of volume for class III-IVish rapids and small waterfalls. the prices seem good if i'm converting from pounds right

I suppose I was a bit vague on long distances... I mean following rivers for a few miles then getting out and catching the train home, mainly. I was looking at the very first one ("Started Pack") as not only is the price nice(r), but from what I've read it does sort of fit the bill.

In regards to the Riot boat, it does seem more playboaty - but also a lot of the surf boats I have seen have looked like that. I think that one has entered my consideration now too

Thanks for your replies (and keep them coming if someone has more input!)

edg