Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What an incredible season, what are you most stoked on?

Wow. What a long crazy intense season. As I sit here in my makeshift office, which also happens to be my bedroom, I can’t help but reflect on this season. As I sip on my last cold PBR and stare at the dead solders on the desk I cant help but be grateful for the unbelievable opportunity I had this season to shoot as much as I wanted, not going to work, and just ski my ass off.

When I just quit showing up at my day job of 10 years last December I had just a few measly bucks in the bank account, some sizeable credit card debt, and a bunch of student loans not paid off. With the constant feed of Avy death reports on the radio every morning on the way to the hill a constant reminder that it was just too dangerous to be out shooting where I wanted to go. Common reason would have been to keep the day job, and shoot in my free time, but the skiing was just too fucking good.

Plugging away, with a few pics here, are few there, this season has been an incredible rollercoaster ride, with some great ups (Thanks Ski SLC) and some shitty lows (RIP Billy Poole). The one thing that I have learned is expect the unexpected, and not knowing what’s over the next horizon is the best damn thing about life.

I cant help but be thankful for being able to ski every day, not working a 9 to 5 anymore, and all of the great people that I get to hang out and “work” with. I’m stoked that I was able to make “the Dream” a reality for at least one season. I’m Stoked I got a great girlfriend that puts up with my 3 AM drunk dials, when I’m stoked on the pics from the day, but I am even more stoked on the crew of guys that’s almost 3 times my age and I cant keep up with touring, the cool kick ass trip reports of people just getting after it, and community of skiers that keeps the stoke alive, and knows what’s the important things in life.

Now at the end of the season, I sit here with a health addiction to liquid crack (Thanks Redbull) frantically finishing up all of my backlogged image processing, and trying to figure out how to pay off 50k of debt. Was it worth it? Fuck yeah it was.

I have no clue how this summer is going to pan out, if I am going to break even or not. If the collectors are going to come knocking… All I know is that I am sure as hell not going to let the little things like financial realities keep me in the way of following my dreams, and pursuing my passion to shoot the best pics I can to get people stoked to ski more.

So hopefully the mini-mart down on the corner has more cold pbr pops.

What are you stoked on?
    The coldest winter in the PNW in memory?
    Etc?

Congratulations man. Your post is full of stoke.. and I'm stoked on that.

Your getting it done. Sounds like you got the right attitude. Inspirational. Thanks. Stoked.

edit:stoked on this line
    Last edited by twodogs; 04-15-2008 at 10:28 PM.

I'm stoked on the real season just beginning.

The last 6 months was just preparation.

I am most stoked that winter just won't end this year. Its dumping in Anchorage right now! Fuck Yea!

I am stoked on freakin' everything. It's mid-April, I've had less than a week of real spring skiing all season, and the last blower uber deep day was less than a week ago. I am always excited about skiing and about springtime but with all of the snow, mixed in with nice, warm days recently, I feel like, as my friends describe my outward emotion, a crack baby. is this winter ever going to end? do I really have to put the skis away at some point?

amazing.season.

...and when the snow finally IS gone, the flowers are gonna be OFF THE HOOK. (i'm not joking. gunder, you got any flower stoke?)

I'm stoked to stay off the injured list this year
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible" -Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

I am probably stoked on how sick Praxis are. Can't wait to get a pair of my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwat View Post
    Skiing without poles is like getting a blow job from a guy. It feels great till you look down and realize you're gay.

Good thread.You have had a year to remember.
    I`m stoked by all the awesome skiers/real people I had a chance to make turns with this year.Just puts a huge smile on my face when I think about it.Sharing a passion with others that get it is almost indescribable.

Stoked on deeeep pow days for 90% of my turns this season. Filming in the Vail/Beaver BC. CO is/was plain sick!

I'm pretty stoked you got punched in the face by a Canadian last weekend. Hahahahhahahaha.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

I'm stoked that Baker Boy got out on the Bros and still shows up to give his homies shit.
    That was a nice pic, mang.

Shit, I'm stoked on a lot of stuff. The radness of Bridger Bowl. Reverse/Reverse skis. Spring touring. Finally making it back to Alta (it took 5 years!). My general goal was ski bigger lines faster while staying fluid and creative, and I'm stoked that I accomplished that to some extent.

What am I most stoked on? Honestly, it's my new job. I'm no longer the bitter angry person I was. I get to work on cool technology that could actually help people. And my boss calls me to go skiing when it snows.

Oh, and Gunder: I'm stoked on ski journal, too. Keep up the good work.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Spent 8 of the last 9 months out of the country, and spent 2 of those months in Kashmir, which really is Heaven on Earth(like all the brochures describe it)
    Last edited by mc_roon; 04-16-2008 at 12:29 AM. Reason: verb tense

Kamp K2.

Im stoked on our epic winter. And my progression.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

I'm fucking stoked on the unending quality of the days this season. I definitely didn't get out half as much as I had wished, but goddammit, I made it out for some pretty fantastic days!!

And I'm stoked on the vibe that's been going on around the West. Not only has this been one special season, but everyone knew it, and it showed. Everyone was sooooooo stoked to ride every day that we were blessed by Ullr's precious touch. Whenever another storm would roll in and we'd all have to take yet another day away from life, the vibe around the mountain was always something truely special. People realized what was going on around them, how everything had transpired to make the skiing perfect (as if guided by the stars or something...), and that all of us who were out there experiencing it were part of something amazing, something unique and rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Pappagiorgio View Post
    I'm stoked on the real season just beginning.

The last 6 months was just preparation.
    I couldn't agree more. The last few months have been great, but I've got some serious business to attend to in the next few months...

More then anything, I'm stoked on how notable this season was, in every sense of the word. I'll always remember the massive storms that just didn't end, the parched November depression, the ridiculously good skiing in October before everyone got scared, the avy cycles that took everyone by surprise, the tremendous losses the ski world felt this season, brought on by both nature's uncertainty and man's desire to always push the limits of possibility.

I'll never forget that day at the end of February when I went touring in the bright, warm sun and realized that I hadn't seen it in two months.

Or the day a week before that when I dug a pit well over 200cm deep just outside of town.

Or that night in early December, watching the snow fall on bare ground north of Silverton, and then two days later when the storm cleared, and the San Juan's were covered by a month's worth of snow.

Finally, I'm incredibly glad I became familiar with the scene down in south central CO; the smiles all around Monarch Pass every damn day, the random people I've met who have graced my ski days with hilarious anecdotes, new lines, and old mutual friends. I'll never forget all those drives: wake up to the raging torrent in Leadville, get 10 miles south and be greeted by beautiful blue skies, clear views, and dry ground the whole way down the Ark Valley. And then finally, heading west, up into the looming haze which has overtaken the mountain, signifying something beautiful, something remarkable, something almost divine that is occuring all around, over, and throughout the minds and hearts of the lucky people who were surrounded by its glory.

Where were you in 07-08?
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

Stoked on all the great friends I have in the Wasatch, whether it is touring or skiing at the resort I always have someone to rip with. Stoked on attending school full time and still skiing at least 100 days. Stoked on some of the peaks I have skied and the views I have taken in. Stoked on my progression on the snow and in the air. Just so stoked on this whole season and future seasons. SO STOKED...

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    What are you stoked on?
    Stoked on the fact that I did the same thing you did this season. There is something about saying to hell with conventional wisdom and striking out on your own that is invaluable.

I don't know what the future holds but I do know that I wouldn't trade this season for anything in the world.

Ski fast, take chances!
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

I am Stoked on a great season of turns with friends and family. I got out almost as much as I wanted, still have some time left.
    But I am most stoked with my daughter. She is 4 yrs old and loves to go skiing. I have had her out about 10 days this year and she is getting really good and very confident.
    Every day I go on a hill and see the little ones ripping lines with their parents, I get excited thinking about my daughter coming with me even more.
    Man, It was great...

i'm stoked on living in switzerland.

i'm stoked to be skiing (rather than boarding) this season.

i'm stoked on the amount of pow this season.

i'm stoked to have friends who like to ski as much as i do.

i'm stoked that my father kicked cancer's ass.

i'm stoked that my brother kicked addiction's ass.

i'm stoked to be workin' for the man, the man who pays me well and lets me take off pow days.

i'm stoked that bike season is about to begin.

Awesome post, Gunder. Oozes with contentment. Methinks you are a happy dude due to this past year. Good on ya!

I'm stoked on my Canon 20D. Has definitely made me more passionate about ski photography and photography in general.

Also very stoked on how my perspective has changed this year. I look at things that would have scared me shitless 2 years ago and go, "hmmm... alright, let's go!" And in some cases, my ability has allowed me to ski those things clean.

Stoked to have solidified some friendships on the hill. Most of my best friends in CO are skiers, and I have a fantastic time skiing with them.

Perhaps most stoked of all that my ski season is pretty much over, and I've made it this far with just some [major] boot issues and a very minor knee tweak. It's almost like the word "Goseying" has ceased to mean "fucking up." Skiing better and especially skiing smarter have helped.

Stoked on next year/next spring, too. I've got some serious skiing and hopefully some competing to do.
    Last edited by Deep Days; 04-16-2008 at 12:10 AM.
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

G,

great post; best here in a while. filled with stoke that i can "identify" with beyond comprehension. and yes, you do have a pretty f'ing cool girlfriend; she might even make more $$$ than you in the very near future

looking forward to "relaxing" with you the next time your in utah whether that be at the top of a line, just before dropping in or at a DTM party "sipping" p-bers looking forward to it; looking forward to it.

edit for: the season isn't even fucking close to being over; us "skiers" are just starting the 2nd half and readying our corn-pickers for laying down smooth tracks on gigander peaks

ps edit for: please, i beg you, please make sure all involved keep up the good work on the Ski Journal; that thing kicks fucking ass!!! It is the Alpinist of the ski world
    Last edited by Xover; 04-16-2008 at 12:25 AM.
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

I'm stoked on a real montana winter. (record season at bridger)
    I'm stoked on having buddies who have the same vision and dedication.
    I'm stoked on my buddies and I progressing and not getting hurt.
    I'm stoked that as we get older we get better and wiser.
    I'm stoked for a mostly stable snowpack.
    i'm stoked that I'm going to ski powder again tomorrow... And probably the whole next week and a half according to the forecast!!! May the next period of glacial advance be upon us!!!

What a great year!

o Skiing more powder days than I could ever hope for—something in the range of 60+ days of powder or fresh snow
    o Skiing so many days with great friends on the mountain
    o Skiing 56 days with spindrift

In August 2006, spindrift became very ill and I was convinced he would never leave the hospital alive. Against all odds, he made it, and, in the winter of 2007-2008, he skied 56 days—one day longer than he spent in the hospital. Here's to you, spindrift—congrats on 56 days!!! You're amazing and the love of my life. What a comeback. Let's shoot for 90 days next year!
    Keep it off my wave...Soundgarden

Awesome thread. I am stoked on a great season. Some of the best/deepest days of skiing I have had in my short tenure at Alta.

Gunder- I've been wanting to buy a print of the Salt Lake Shootout winner. Should I order through your website? It'll help you with that debt.

Alex