Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

First Impressions?

There are some of us that have been here for ages, there are some of us that have been here for days. I'm curious to know what were your first impressions upon finding this board or the other? What did you think of the place and its inhabitants? This was touched a bit in Pinner's goodbye, but I'd like to see some more thoughts.

When I discovered the Powmag forum I lurked for a couple weeks, just kinda getting a vibe. At first I thought quite a few of you folks were jackasses. I joined around the time of Brett v. Focus, and what a fine time. The board was pretty much as it is now. People getting together, people arguing, off topic posts abounded, and above all a love for skiing.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

BobMc

I already spoke up in pinner's fairwell, but I'll go again.

I'll give ya's the short version

great board for ski/bike stoke.

Fubby stories. Er, funny.

Quit pickin fights and you'd have yourself a nice little online Fruitopia.
    Looking California, feeling Minnesota.

I found it whilst living in NC and lurked for a while. Then i started searching on all different subjects and found out quite a bit of history. I decided it would be a good way for me to have instant people to ski with when I got to Ut. It worked. I've met alot of you and haven't met someone yet I didn't like.

How about my first impression of Bob Mc at Hood last year? Or was it the year before?

Anyways, it was like - This is why I'm a maggot. So I can meet cool melow people, sit down and have a smoke, make a few runs, and just chill with them, like they're family.
    Which is kind of a far cry from breaking into the circle on the board. I do believe moderately thick skin is almost requisite to make an entry on the board. Also, to stay.

I've lurked only since December. Love the TRs and laugh at the flame wars.

Just bought some Freerides today, so even this board's summer degradation can't bum me out.

heh I was going to post about my first impression of BobMC last year too...

would have read a lot like splat's if I did. That's the real magic here, instant friendships are nothing to discount.

I member joining powmag after knee surgery to try and keep me sane. And those of you who've met me, of course, know that it didn't work. But the community has become one of the 10 best things to happen to me since '01 when I found the freaks!

freak on

I was over on epicski for a while before going over to powmag. I lurked for a while at powmag before I really posted much because I had heard what a bunch of pricks everyone on Powder was from the Epic regulars. That turned out to be true of course!

Now I'm addicted. There have been many days on my drive into work where I say to myself "ok, today I'm not going to look at TGR." I never succeed. If I get fired I'm suing ONS

I checked it out around New Years thanks to proding by Barnballs. I love the TRs and pix....get me stoked to go get me some more. I skied more this year than the past two as a result.
    Some hilarious threads with the random Friday threads being my favorites to check out and LOL over.

Met some cool folks at the Utah mini, Mammoth and had a blast at DMs party here in Denver.

The personal wars are facking stupid. Ski more, talk shit less. But they do make for entertaining reads!
    "Oh yeah...and she gave me her number too!"

Originally posted by splat
    How about my first impression of Bob Mc at Hood last year? Or was it the year before?
    It was the year before, I piled into a motor home with 5 other people I hadn't met before. I was convinced I'd end up alongside the highway somewhere in Oregon, my pants around my ankles and my wallet gone. To my surprise I found them to be rather nice personable people . Then we pull up to Hood the next morning, some guy in a Grand Cherokee pulls up alongside us. "Hey Man!!!", I knew I was in good company...

It's been a whirlwind ride on the maggot express, plenty of people met, plenty of friends made. I'm glad I didn't let my first impressions chase me away, or turn me into a pariah.

Thank you all,

BobMc

I remember my first post on powmag in september, pretty much everyone ignored the question I asked and hounded me on my spelling and grammar.

Everyone I've met from this board has been a fantastic skier, and a fantastic person. If not for you all, this would of been a boring ski season in comparison. I'm glad to call myself a maggot.

Thanks guys.

I wouldn't have made it to JH and Alta last year if it weren't for you fuckers & your damn stoke.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

I found the Pmag board about a year and a half ago, lurked, didn't pay attention enough to get all the inside jokes, didn't have enough of an attention span to stay long enough to get involved. I was slow to figure out that posting in the "travel" didn't find you people to ride with. After I moved into my house last year, I found myself there a more and more, kinda like crack. Sooner or later I was asking stupid questions, got JONG'd a few times and figured it all out. My move to Colorado, kinda coinsided with my relocation online.

sucks to see the efforts of few, ruining the fun and spirits of many.

With the whole demise of Pmag board and successful relocation of many to TGR, it really shows that it is the online community that thrives, not the place it lives.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

I started lurking soon after powdermag.com opened it's doors. I'd never been a chatroom/boardroom type but I'd read, in a review of boards, that powdermag.com was "the most hostile place on the Internet." So I had to check it out. At first I just read the threads after work but that's like reading a newspaper. So I started reading and posting at work and it was all downhill from there.

Since there was a gathering (nearby) at Mt. Hood two years ago and I drove down knowing that if I asked "does anyone have change for a nickel" enough times I'd meet these maggots. It's all been most excellent.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

I showed up and this Buster Highmen guy tried to correct me on some computer term. Yeah, I fukt him.

Seriously though, Pmag kept me sane while living in Boston and also helped us decide between moving to Utah and moving to Tahoe.

I miss Orphic Seth.

I first found powdermag in Nov. of 2001. I actually registered under the name dexter_rutecki (not knowing of course) and got completely blasted by Geronimo for it. I was gonna go after Geronimo, but luckily for me I let it slide and decided to stick around. I'm glad I did.

I've only met one maggot so far (who hooked me up with some sweet boots), but I hope to meet many more in the future.
    Yep, seen this before. Crazy liquor & cheeseburger party got out of control.

It seemed like a bit of a sausage fest...but then I saw there were some cool maggettes who were not being run off. And I was a bit nervous coming in because it was a bit brutal at times. Plus because you know, I say whatever comes to mind without thinking too much about it, and it frequently sounds whacked out.

But I took (and enjoyed) some abuse. And think I have found a little crevasse here that I can sort of hang out on without people being too perturbed about it.

What? You didn't realize about the crevasse? Shit, please don't push me off!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

I thought it was a bunch of fucking weirdos. Felt right at home. Decided to go at Mr. Pound Key and between me, iceman and others, they were exposed.

It's been fun. When the spoofing is resolved, things will get better.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Originally posted by splat
    I do believe moderately thick skin is almost requisite to make an entry on the board. Also, to stay.
    Amen, brother, amen.

I was also at Epic for a while, but then started lurking at Powder because...well, let's just say I had ties to a certain individual there. Before long, however, Epic became seriously retarded thanks to the "instructors" and other anal retentive types that I pretty much left that place and readily migrated over to Powder.

It's been such a great experience- a couple of Minis, a handful of beerfests, and so many cool people. I feel at home here for the most part and don't mind letting my guard down.

I don't like it when people get fed-up and leave because of BS they're receiving. Regretably, the internet "empowers" chickenshits and other assorted cowards.
    Last edited by Viva; 05-28-2004 at 11:24 AM.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Talking

I joined for the drugs, raunchy sex, and alcohol.

edit: Been around for two years now. Haven't met one maggot/maggette I don't like. You are all unique in character on and off the board. It's the friendships and acquaintances that keep me here.
    Last edited by iskibc; 05-27-2004 at 11:38 PM.

Pinner's gone? When did this happen? There's some thread about his blue balls on the front page.

Edit: Uh Oh, I just saw it. Be right back after a long read. Looks bad.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 05-27-2004 at 11:37 PM.

Omen posted a pic of me on PMag and people were stoked on it. I was like, "what the hell, people talk about skiing on the internet. That's cool." Then I came out of the gate cocky and got flamed. Changed my alias about 4 times. Settled with Alka, and it got me through the hot summer of near skierless Santa Cruz. Plus I thought you fuckers were hilarious. I just like being able to talk about skiing, anyday, anytime.

Been here just a few days. Looks like a good bunch of poeple. I love reading the trip reports. I have a few to put up. Maybe I will wait till the summer heat gets here. Already put pics up of my students and felt sketchy. Maybe some pictures of hot teachers.

Probably not going to ski with any of you unless you come out west. Or maybe it's east. But I am going to ski hard and get a few pictures up of my j-powder one of these days. I'm here to stay.

I remember visiting powdermag.com right after it launched back in '98-ish; this was before there was even a message board. The site back then was a slow-moving hypnotic flash animation of snowflakes falling and floating (anyone else remember that?), with promises of more gadgets and features in coming days...and then Powder was sold to Peterson. The site was re-launched looking somewhat as it does today.

I lurked for a while in the beginning, then posted cautiously under a name other than Schmear. Crotchless sheep costumes, Lesbostraps, midget jokes, abusive strip searches, and merciless jongings...I knew I was in the right place. I resurfaced as Schmear in the summer of 2001 and was jonged (by request; wanted to get it over with) by Tyrone Shoelaces himself. What a prick! [winky]

Splat's right about the thick skin. But it's more than that. Maggots are funny people. I love the ski-related posts and trip reports, but the deadpan is really what keeps me coming back.

The buffet isn't bad, either.
    Last edited by Schmear; 05-28-2004 at 12:42 AM.

I originally posted on epic, way back before powmag existed. Once pow mag started, I posted for a couple of weeks and then just kind of stopped using the internet for a few years. I rediscovered powmag right around the time of the exodus, and decided to follow the herd and start anew.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."