Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Originally posted by GT40
    Thanks to the BB, I ski more and have more fun. Most ppl in their 50's are slowing down. That's why I love the energy transfusions I get from hanging with the maggots. I'm happier and laugh more when ever I check the BB. It's a great place where ppl with so many different life styles can hang togeather and make a family.
    That is right on the mark GT! I'm turning 55 in August and have over 40 days each of the last two seasons, I've never had much over 20 before. My left knee feels it too!
    Time to pack the car and head to Seattle for the Folklife Festival, later y'all.
    In drove this drunken madman and stopped on a dime! Unfortunately the dime was in Mr. Rococo's pocket!

Started on Powmag. Reading posts by The Poundkeys, Iceman, Rev. Floater, Buster H and Armchair helped me get through a job I took for the ski pass, but not the time to actually use it.
    Since I first went on, I have quite my job, gone through a difficult break up, experienced a period of lost euphoria due to lack of motivation and have followed my desires. The maggots I have interacted with have helped with it all through either advise, directions (literally) or laughter.
    I have met one of my closest friends from this board and I hope to meet more.

An uber-duper-newbie chimes in

My third post. My first impressions of this place:

#1. The witty repartee. Example: tonghand's golfing expose. Good gosh dang, that is some funny writing! Diggin' the jocularity throughout the other posts, too.

#2. The obvious camaraderie. Nice! I've read through some threads of a personal nature, and have to give a thumbs-up to the poster's honesty, and the wisdom of the replies. Seems like a good crew.

#3. The interpersonal hissy-fights. Don't quite get it, but being new here, I'll reserve judgement.

#4. The freakin' STOKE!

#5. We can cuss out loud here! Whoa. I'm a cross-pollinater from the Mammy message board, and over there, I considered it quite the coup to sneak the phrase "drunken cocks" past the smut-sensor (the comment was in reference to a dude who'd dressed up as a chicken for the pond-skim comp, and received some flack from an uptight mom re: his inebriated, uh, cockiness). This on a board where the word "suck" is verboten. Love the Mammy boards, but love the freedom of nasty speech here.

#6. The toenails. Phunk. Never before have I seen a big toenail to rival mine in gnarliness. Out of delicacy and modesty, I shall refrain from posting a pic.

#7. Internet personas, versus reality: I recently had the pleasure of meeting one of your denizens, that SoCalSki dude, at a dinner shindig with some Mammy people. Good god. He seems rather mild-mannered in his posts, so I was a bit taken aback to see him dressed in a chain-mail codpiece. His wife is a sweetheart, though, so that's a mitigating factor.

I started posting on Pmag regularly back in October 2000. I remember getting harrased by Rev (just floater back then) and going off on him. I was immediatly ganged up on by floater, ice, dex, et al. I appologized had a good laugh and then along with them flamed the shit out of ski proffeser for winning the Canadian powder 8's. Actually groomer eights that year which made it even more funny. I was hooked and stuck around until ski prof hooked me up with a job in the ski school at the Lake (the ultimate maggot hook up because I wasn't certified and therefor only worked about 5 hours a week but got a pass and a place to live in return and he kept me around). No steady internet access for a couple of years kept me posting sporadically but every time I could get online I was at pmag. I came back last October and almost none of the oldtimers where on pmag so I checked out over here and fond the group I remembered. Between running a new buissness and family life I don't have much time to post but I try to at least get over here to read every couple of days. Like everybody else I've never met a maggot I didn't like.

I lurked on Powmag for about a year after Geoff showed my some funny stuff there. I probably would still be lurking if I hadn't desperately wanted to go to Castle and posted to see if I could get a ride there for the mini summit. (Thanks D_W) I spent a lot of time lurking and eventually ended up lurking here as well and then posting here. I still seem to spend a lot of time here despite currently living in a tent/car and not working anywhere near a computer.
    To change it slightly all the maggots I've met are cool people
    'I dare to dream and differ from the hollow lies'

Y'all talking about lurking and getting flamed....well i must be the biggest lurker witht he occasional post thrown in for kicks...back on Pmag...me and my sis got some major flaming for pics that we posted of ourselves...well....I am still here...flame away...as for sis and MFI....oh well...i dont need no stinkin internet to talk to my sis.... IMO...if you cant take it...get the hell out
    Snow?

Thumbs up

Great thread Bob.

I actually first found the Powdermag live chat. I really miss that by the way. You really got the tone of the conversation so there was less flaming. However, I soon found the P-mag chatter room and became like a junkie soon there after.

I remember my first thread: "The Truth about TJ.Brk", and enjoyed the 39 very colorful jong posts that soon followed. We've all posted some really cool threads, some stupid threads, some flaming threads, some angry threads, and some sweet stoke threads. But in the end I've realized this. WE ARE ALL ICEMAN

But seriously. When the P-mag boards went through Purge I, II, and " the revenge of Daniel", a part of me died. I am thankful that maggot board got resurected here. Sure we have all had our flame wars. And quite frankly most of us are completely different in real person than what they post like on this board. Except for Phunk. He's still a prick

But when a maggot goes through some tough times, or is feeling down. I have seen most, if not all maggots on this board rush to their aid. And that is something that can never be taken away from any of you.

Even if someone leaves this board for awhile. They are still a maggot. They will always be considered friend, and they will never be forgotten.
    Last edited by TJ.Brk; 05-31-2004 at 12:53 AM.

Talking

ooh, this is fun!

I got on powmag a loooooong time ago... I think not long after the K2 board collapsed, since everyone seemed to be talking about it at the time. I didn't post too much, didn't really have anything much to say-- I remember when the original maggot t-shirt was constructed, I wanted one, but didn't feel maggoty enough to request my name on it. It was either '99 or 2000, don't remember exactly, but it was sometime in between my junior and senior year of highschool, after I had spent 16 very looooong years nurturing my love of skiing on this:

No one in my highschool really skied, since I was an hour's drive from that hill and no one really felt it was worth it, I guess. So I went by myself after school, every single day except Wednesdays because it closed at 3 for some reason. And of course every weekend. I made some friends at the hill but for the most part I really felt like there was no one who understood my love of skiing and my need to move to the mountains. I'd often get depressed thinking about it, and spend hours looking at pictures on the internet of skiing and in POWmag.

I don't remember exactly how I found the site, but I did, and HOLY SHIT!! A whole plethora of people who loved skiing as much as I did, and were funny as hell to boot! I loved Pinner's weird sense of humour, reading Floater's trip reports, and pretty much everything else too. And finding other highschool students like me who were stuck in the midwest and longed to move to the mountains made me feel not so alone in the world. I always knew I wanted to move out west after I graduated from high school, but hearing stories from all the Maggots really helped inspire me to do it. I've been in Colorado going on five years now, and have loved every second of it. I've been here (on the board) that entire time as well, and have no intention of leaving, although I do get sick of the shit spewing I just resolve to stay out of it. I haven't been a huge poster, I definitely read a lot more than I post, and I haven't met too many maggots. But those I have, have definitely been very cool. Thanks to everyone for all the stoke over the years.

Rock on, Maggots.
    Not on here much anymore. Drop me an email if you want to contact me. Have a wonderful winter!

I was just really getting back into the habit in 2001… I raced until I was 13 when the psychosis of coaches/my club/ other snotty racers ruined skiing for me, soI took a couple years off, and then snowboarded for a bit, and then finally went back to skiing. By then I was in grade 12, and there was a month long teacher strike in February, so my one friend who was competent at getting down a mountain alive and I made a lot of not so random road trips. I found the Biglines board while trying to find the date/time for some ski movie showing fall of 2002. I started lurking/hardly ever posting there, and met a few cool people I ski with, which was cool. Then this one dude sorta killed the stoke there, constantly crashing the site (George? xxx? And his weirdo friends) and it seemed to be mostly a group of dude who were super tight in person or else were hordes of 13 year olds just looking for trouble, and I didn’t really feel part of either group. I found a link on some post to powmag site, and lurked there for about a year, and then when the “big move” happened, I came here and started posting. I stay because of the funny shit that goes on, because of the cool pics I see, because I can get real opinions on gear, and the vibe is pretty chill. I haven’t posted a lot of stoke (I’ve almost done a couple of TRs, but never had pics to go along, and they’d end up being a week after they actually happened, and the feeling just wasn’t in it… anyway, whatev).

I haven’t met any of you either I think there are enough Alberta mags that we need to cause a little ruckus. The mini didn’t really happen this year, and I’m pretty sure the hicks in Alberta could teach the Utards a thing or tow about how to kill your liver.

It’s funny… I was talking with a friend of mine last week about how at the beginning of the season I had mapped out all the things I wanted to try, and learn, and none of it really happened. Life got complicated for awhile and the road trips to the Mountains never worked out. So I guess I just need to play catch up next year.

Thumbs up

TGR & the Minions are what I call my "dirty little secret."

I don't talk about TGR or show anyone else... I'd just get funny looks and comments like "you met total strangers 'from the internet' to ski with?!" How the hell do some of you explain this to your wives or significant others?

I haven't yet met a maggot I didn't like -- there's the quiet ones, the boisterous ones, the rippers, the gapers, the dicks and the pushovers. Time and time again I have been amazed at the generosity and camaraderie of this little corner of the internet.

Too bad it's such a damn sausage party.

Balls Deep in the 'Ho

short version:
    - skiing got more important as i grew up and when i had the chance of being on the net endlessly i needed places to go to in 2000/2001
    ---> no german board that got as many posts as i wanted.(hell, not even a euro board in a language i can utter without sounding like a 7 year old retardo)

---> POWDERMAG.... signed up as subtle plague and lost that name and signed up again. And when the migration began i went with them all...
    ---> didnt post much at PM and got flamed in a car thread for taking the eco/communist position( I think buster highmen did it but im not sure)
    I didnt mind though because i went through a hard learning process in a german music board. This i a nice little kitten playground compared to that. no one post there without using 10 layers of irony and sarcasm and JONGs get terminated on regular basis. wicked freaks exist there so im really happy that here the people (most of them) are fueled by the fire of skiing and have a common base.
    I never got jonged though and blended in without anyone taking notice because i lurked quite a while.
    --->TGR.... yeah i registered and starting posting occasionally...mostly in euro related threads.
    Last may I made up a really strange and skiing deprived thread in which i asked at which temperature my skis would melt (summer.... ), but i wasnt utterly destroyed and some even answered !

I come here quite often and read most of the threads.
    I somehow get the feeling im being ignored by the non euro maggots but on the other hand i havent made any enemies either.(i guess) My Once in a while trip report doesnt get as much attention as others but im doing them to please a group of unknown freaks...im addicted. i guess. I still have managed avoiding to meet the maggots hrr hrr but i guess that'll change in La Grave etc. sometime.

must get off...
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

this cant fall into archive, especially with so many people peeping as skiing draws nigh.
    Pinner's good bye.

*sniff*
    oh pinner we barely knew thee....

In college I was able to get most of my ski trips for free by planning the trips wiht our club. After college I had job offers with Nortel, to stay in North Carolina, Seibel in SLC and possibly one with Intel in Sactown. However all 3 fell through and I got stuck in NC. I did land a job that was pretty cool, and my boss was a boarder from Cali whose family has a condo in Mammoth, so she was willing to get me as many days off as I could afford to go skiing.

About 2 years after graduating though, it because apparent that there was no way I could continue skiing this much all over the place and eventually get my bills paid off so I could move out west. I looked for a place to buy a season pass, and ended up settling on Vail/Breck because I would be making some trips out there with family, friends and even one for work. I was doing some searching online for some info about the Minturn Mile and East Vail, which led me to an archived post on the powder forums. From there I was led to here.

I was lurking on Epic at the time, but was amazed that ya'll actually posted pics from your trips and posted some stoke! I've never met any mags thanks to my cars tranny blowing up in SLC just before the JH summit last year.

The board rocks, just the right amount of moderation, stoke, knowledge and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by StroupSkier
    I've never met any mags thanks to my cars tranny blowing up in SLC just before the JH summit last year.
    Maggots ostracise people who blow their trannies up. We're funny like that. Not my rules. Just the way it is.

Talking

I'm fairly new to this board and truth be told fairly new to skiing. But I have loved the hell out of it and have learned so much from this board. If I have a question, short of asking LSB, this is were I start to look for my answers. I lurked for a few weeks, before actually posting anything. I didn't want to be jonged right out of the gates, but soon found, that all I had to do was have a little bit of thick skin and to quite being a pansy and just do it. Mags here are great!
    Small is the number of those that see with their eyes and feel with their hearts - A.E.

This board sucks. I'm outa here.

Quote Originally Posted by bad_roo
    Maggots ostracise people who blow their trannies up. We're funny like that. Not my rules. Just the way it is.
    Listen to Roo. If anyone knows how to properly care for automobiles, it's him.

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showt...t=10830&page=3

(scroll down to post 66 and read on)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

First impression - the maggots were my kind of people. I have spent a lot of time on other boards with a similar steeze so the JONGing was expected, nay, welcomed!

Great stoke here, lots of 'net posturing and slagging, lots of fun.

What's not to like??? ok, there are always some folks are too into being net assholes but that ain't going to change so I just ignore that.

GOOD STUFF.

My first impression of TGR was that it was really, REALLY slow and nobody posted here but I figured I'd swing by occasionally to help owens with his traffic. Sadly, some fucking corporate webmonkey asshole decided to delete all the really early shizzz fro TGR gen 1.

And then one day a whole pile of assholes showed up at this place. Fucking wierd.

380 posts, I love you guys.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

1 mile from N. America's biggest chairlift
    I was an intern at Powder and remember watching Metcalf who was just hired as the powdermag.com online editor. He put so much energy and passion into creating powdermag.com from scratch. I remember how stoked he was on trying to get the message boards up. He kept telling me how cool it would be. He was right. I have been checking in on this place ever since and have met alot of good skiers along the way. Thanks Metcalf and thanks Maggots for all the good times.

I joined so I could get advise from SuPu.
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

I'm wondering what hell I'm gonna do with this stupid alias if I'm ever not such a retard....

New avatar perhaps....

Quote Originally Posted by Corky
    I'm wondering what hell I'm gonna do with this stupid alias if I'm ever not such a retard....

New avatar perhaps....

COrk-star:
    being a ski/board forum and all this would be appropriate:

I've been told that some of the Utards thought i was not real, just a troll in the beginning...they said "yeah right, some girl from utah that claims she skis at alta all the time?"

They soon learned I was in fact, a real person...thank goodness.
    you sketchy character, you