Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Hmm...I guess it depends on how comfortable you are in big water. At flows above 15K, lots of features start to wash out, and you are mainly dealing with long wave trains of exploding and rogue waves with enormous faces. It's really hard to describe, since I really haven't seen waves like that anywhere else.

The lower section (the most commonly run) doesn't really have too many moves to make. As long as you line up properly, it's tough to get into trouble as long as everyone's roll is 100% bomber. A swim would be devastating and you could kiss your boat goodbye.

In any case, I don't really think it's harder at higher flows, but it's definitely more intimidating. I got worked on a couple eddy lines....in a creek boat.

So yeah, rambling aside, anything below 15K would probably be fine...but really, my favorite Lochsa level is around 4500-5500. That's when there are eddy serviced play features and Pipeline is at its most epic. Then around 8-10K is probably the most classic level, with huge, well defined features.
    Thanks for the good info Root. We'll catch it on the way down.
    My son wants to race at Bigfork this weekend, you going to be there?

Just a general word of caution to everyone out there as runoff starts hitting your local creeks and rivers. Be safe as it's a big snowpack year most everywhere which some haven't seen for awhile. We had our first death of the season last Saturday on the Upper Green Gorge. The river was not at flood stage, but pretty damn high (5,200 cfs as opposed to it's normal rating of class III/IV at 1,500 cfs).

I was in the group about a half hour behind this incident and it was not a scene I'd like to repeat. He was a solid kayaker with 20 years of experience. The best guess that anyone has is that he got broached on a pillow in one of the more constricted rapids and completely submerged in his creek boat as no one saw it happen and no one has seen him since.

Take care out there folks.

Shit, no water because it was too cold and now everything is too damn high.

Anyone have any tips about cleaning poo out of the inside of my drysuit?

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Shit, anyone have any tips about cleaning poo out of the inside of my drysuit?
    I'm just gonna go ahead and ask - what kind of poo are we talking about here?

Regardless, I would start by turning it inside out

Fallout from Bear creek?
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

It's happening again. After a few really warm days and good levels on the Lochsa and lower elevation runs it got real cold and has now been snowing for two days straight in Missoula. What the hell...guess we are in for another late season.

Last edited by RootSkier; 04-29-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Hell yeah, save it all for the big flush! Golden Canyon boogie water at 6g's, SF Salmon in one day, NF Payette so high that only three people in Boise will even go near it- that's what a late season brings. Hell, if it comes off right we might even get some days on the Bladder Wave with an 85% snowpack. It's not all bad.

Seriously though, this weather is fucking with me too. Two weeks ago I was boating in board shorts while the Snake was going off and now I am looking down the barrel of a cold and rainy three days on a low water Jarbidge-Bruneau. I'm hoping that rain will be in the form of 'rain on snow' so that we get a little bump for the last day. Not that I am complaining. Fending off hypothermia for three days in a gorgeous canyon surely beats work, cleaning house, or other so-called responsibilities that do not involve gorgeous canyons.

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    Quote Originally Posted by slide_for_life View Post
    Hell yeah, save it all for the big flush! Golden Canyon boogie water at 6g's, SF Salmon in one day, NF Payette so high that only three people in Boise will even go near it- that's what a late season brings. Hell, if it comes off right we might even get some days on the Bladder Wave with an 85% snowpack. It's not all bad.

Seriously though, this weather is fucking with me too. Two weeks ago I was boating in board shorts while the Snake was going off and now I am looking down the barrel of a cold and rainy three days on a low water Jarbidge-Bruneau. I'm hoping that rain will be in the form of 'rain on snow' so that we get a little bump for the last day. Not that I am complaining. Fending off hypothermia for three days in a gorgeous canyon surely beats work, cleaning house, or other so-called responsibilities that do not involve gorgeous canyons.
    In a similar boat (no pun intended.) Riff and I are watching to see when the peak of the Jarbidge/Bruneau is going to hit. Three years in a row, and we've never seen it much more than 1500 cfs. I'm also wondering about the WF Bruneau this year, rather than the Jarbidge. Hmmm...

Back to work.
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

Quote Originally Posted by ruletherock View Post
    In a similar boat (no pun intended.) Riff and I are watching to see when the peak of the Jarbidge/Bruneau is going to hit. Three years in a row, and we've never seen it much more than 1500 cfs. I'm also wondering about the WF Bruneau this year, rather than the Jarbidge. Hmmm...

Back to work.
    Don't know if you have seen this recession chart. (edit: oops here it is)
    http://www.id.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/wat...ow_stream.html

Still showing some water holding in there. Peak next weekend? Supposed to clear and starting warming by Wednesday. Maybe. Still too much water up there for it not to get a decent spike. The SWE is ahead of last year. The graph is from a few days ago. Raining hard today and cooler. Just adding a little more flow.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Just got back from three days on the J-B. Jarbidge was about as low as you would want in a kayak on Friday (not raft friendly at those flows). It poured Friday night. We stayed at sick camp spot in the Bruneau on Saturday. Flows were up on Sunday. We also experienced three separate hail storms. What a trip.