Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I just have to share: Sea Otter related

My friend Allie got all riled up about the Sea Otter entry fees last week. At the same time, Decline posted a blurb about said fees. I did a bit of research and summarized the issues here: www.freeridefoundation.blogspot.com.

Allie just emailed me fun little image that I don't feel comfortable posting elsewhere because, well, I'm going to race at Sea Otter. I'm only racing one event instead of two as I'd intended, but nonetheless. I laughed and thought you might too.

Enjoy:
    Attachment 40328
    Last edited by boobookitty; 04-07-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Heh.... She has been pissed about Otter for a few years now. With good reason I guess...
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

I don't even want to pay the parking fee at Sea Otter to wander through the vendor tents.... absurdly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I don't even want to pay the parking fee at Sea Otter to wander through the vendor tents.... absurdly expensive.
    Well, the cool thing is that if you pay to race, you get to park for free!

Quote Originally Posted by boobookitty View Post
    Well, the cool thing is that if you pay to race, you get to park for free!
    Thats awesome, they are totally hooking it up!!!

That Decline blurb was funny. I can't believe its only 250ft vert.

The relative lack of practice is complete bullshit

As a comparison, registration for the Keystone G3 last year was $90 (lift tix were extra but discounted and included for race day). For that I could have ridden practice all day Friday(but I had to work, but I knew the course well enough), practice Sat am, 1st race around noonish (2500k vert, 10 minute DH race) then some more DH or Super D practice, then a super D race at 5ish(16-17 min?), then some more practice Sun am for a few hours, then racing(8 min course)..then we could ride lifts for the rest of the day if it was still possible to see straight and hold on to the bars. The sickest part is that the parking was free.
    Last edited by flowtron; 04-07-2008 at 01:22 PM.
    "It's too bad that a lot of people have never experienced the feeling of rollerblading in the cool air of a summer evening"
    TheQuietStorm

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    ...then we could ride lifts for the rest of the day if it was still possible to see straight and hold on to the bars. The sickest part is that the parking was free.
    And Nora was probably able to hang out with you in the pits and watch the race for free too.

Its true.

I dig the blog JB, its cool to see consistent womens coverage.
    I also like uncoveraged women...or woman....one in particular.

Are you coming out for some racing this summer or what? Carpool with Kidwoo, he doesn't race but he enjois holding the stopwatch.
    "It's too bad that a lot of people have never experienced the feeling of rollerblading in the cool air of a summer evening"
    TheQuietStorm

Yeah, the plan is to get out there. I'm definitely going to Angel Fire and the Sol Vista finale. Beyond that it will all depend on the biz and the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    he enjois holding the stopwatch.
    Only to throw at your head for entering some stupid race when you could be out bike riding.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Thats some bullshit. If I pay 90 dollars, i expect to race for at least 13 hours. shit. ill probably pay though. Never been to sea otter.
    I stay up all night, I go to sleep watching dragnet

Pedro-

You racing XC?

Better hope is doesn't rain when you're on the course... they tend cut the race short when it gets wet. And oh yeah... They don't tell you either they just pull you from the course.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

Ok, one more gripe and I'm done. I thought that perhaps some of the scheduling issues would be resolved, so I went back to the Sea Otter site. I read some fine print on the Downhill page: "There will be no qualifying runs for any category." I forgot that there's no qualifying at Sea Otter. The entry fee value just keeps dropping.

So then why go?

Serious question......

I've never understood why someone who races dh would go compete at sea otter. I mean it honestly seems like the work/reward ratio is pretty low.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

It is a bit of a pickle. Traditionally, Sea Otter draws a crowd of World Cup athletes because their sponsors want them there. Sea Otter is like the Interbike of spring. Everyone's on their new rigs, showing off, and setting the stage for the "real" racing later in the season. I doubt that most downhillers get stoked on racing there.
    As for me:
    A. I love racing. (Even when it doesn't love me).
    A1/2. I'm feeling pretty XC fit, so maybe I can out-pedal a girl or two.
    B. It looks like WTB will be picking up the tab for my entry, but I'm also working at the event for them.
    C. My sponsors are rad enough to give me stuff to ride and I feel like I should represent. Besides, this conversation could be awkward: "Hey, how do you like that bike we gave you?" "It's great." "Sweet, when's your start time?" "Oh, I feel like the organizers of this event are sucking everyone dry, so I decided not to race. Thanks for the bike, though."
    D. As for why bitch and then go? Well, someone has to get people riled up. Emails have been sent to Frosty about the scheduling. Not showing up may actually increase the rates for next year. I'd rather pressure the organizers give all of racers our money's worth if we're expected to pay that much.

I go to party and get out of the mountains for a little bit, and go have a little fun on my bike, I don't have any expectations of a great racing experience at Sandbag Otter, but its fun all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_B View Post
    Pedro-

You racing XC?

Better hope is doesn't rain when you're on the course... they tend cut the race short when it gets wet. And oh yeah... They don't tell you either they just pull you from the course.
    Yup This will be the first and last time i think racing Sea otter, Just moved out here, i figured it be one of those things to check out while im out here. Im slow so ill get hosed in expert anyway.
    I stay up all night, I go to sleep watching dragnet

My first time going this year too. I'm not going expecting to ride much, but it should be fun anyway. And luckily I registered well before prices went up.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by altagirl View Post
    My first time going this year too. I'm not going expecting to ride much, but it should be fun anyway. And luckily I registered well before prices went up.
    You guys going anywhere else or just sea otter and back?

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    FYI, it's just AG and Yenta this trip, I wasn't invited . Plus closing day @ Alta on 4/20 (Sunday; yeah, I said 4/20, heh). If I was going, we would have to stop at your riding spots on the way and actually enjoy some riding as opposed to the Sea Otter mess.

If you can get out there to support our girls though, that would be cool. I know it's not real close for you guys but the slalom and dual stunt courses sound pretty cool. You won't be able to miss AG's DH bike, I guarantee it.
    "People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the
    water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then?
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

We're just going out and back. Wish we had time to stop and ride elsewhere too!
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Altagirl View Post
    If you can get out there to support our girls though, that would be cool. I know it's not real close for you guys but the slalom and dual stunt courses sound pretty cool. You won't be able to miss AG's DH bike, I guarantee it.

I'd love to but I've got some dirtjumps to finish.

No biggie, all of the riding up here is still under snow. I was just wondering if either of you would be around for an xc ride in the foothills one day.

Wait, it's bike season already???

Hah, the image made me LAUGH!

Good luck w/ the race, booboo!
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    It's there and back, BUT, with the crappy DH practice schedule, I think a few of us are going to try to get some off-site riding in on Saturday. Not sure where and when, but if we'll be where it's rideable, why waste the opportunity?
    This touchy-feely Kumbaya shit has got to go.

Whats the schedule ? I'll be working in Clear Lake / Santa Rosa area and might be able to come down around the 19th and 20th.
    Don't make me come get you....

Get thee to the Soquel Demo Forest. Probably about an hour of driving (which is par for the Bay Area course). Its up on the ridge between San Joser and Santa Cruz....and will be waaay better trails than anything you'll be racing on.
    Perhaps a loc can provide better details and directions here, or ask on the hella Norcal forum on emptybeer.
    TheQuietStorm