Page 364 of 366 FirstFirst ... 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 LastLast
Results 9,076 to 9,100 of 9140

Thread: GUNS!!!!!!!!

On mine, the upper that gets shot the most is a .22 with a can on it. Get some of the Black Dog Machine drums/mags. Run Mini-Mags in it. Little more expensive but always cycle the gun and a little cleaner.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    So you were a cop and worked cases of market hunters skulking around the suburbs of Middle Tennessee with .22s?

I'm going to go ahead and call BULLSHIT on all that too.
    You appear to be an expert in BULLSHIT. Anything else? Or is you specialty inflating dirigibles?
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

The 22 long rifle debate kind of reminds me of the complications involved in suburban lawn lion hunting. Use too much gun, and it will piss off the neighbors and draw undue attention to the muzzle report. If you don't use enough gun, that cat will wake the dead upon a bad shot.

Quote Originally Posted by mangle View Post
    Wahoo! First MG was approved today. Now for the 40-60 day wait for the ATF to put the stamp in the mail. ~250 days on this one. Strangely enough I have a suppressor that's been pending for 350something days.

Anyone have opinions on hunting elk with an M16? 10xM193 is at least the equivalent of a 250gr 338LM, right?
    Give'em the whole mag Brotha, I got ur back!

I thought we'd moved off this topic on to FN > Glock, or something.

Since we're back here though, the question is never what you can take game with, it's what you should take game with. Using an inadequate cartridge, that the Tacticools think it's sexy or because every gun mag on the stands has (been paid to) promote it, to shoot a large animal resulting in a meager blood trail and prolonged time to death, leading to hours casting around the woods with my buddies (who I had to pull of their hunt to come help me), ultimately concluding in a lost animal I never find is some guilt I don't need. Not when there are plenty of perfectly good, well-tested, humdrum cartridges in unremarkable platforms made by every major mundane arms manufacturer at a relatively dull and cheap price that will reliably punch through both sides (even through the shoulders) and fully expand to a boring .50 caliber hole.

And fuck headshots. A misjudgment in distance, or an unaccounted for breeze, or a poor squeeze, or an unsteady rest, and a shot at a tiny highly-mobile target becomes at best a complete miss, and at worst a destroyed lower jaw and an animal starving to death miles from where you pulled the trigger.

This insufficient cartridge and headshots bullshit needs to stay on Call of Duty where it belongs.
    Last edited by CS2-6; 07-10-2020 at 11:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Hereís the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    I thought we'd moved off this topic on to FN > Glock, or something.

Since we're back here though, the question is never what you can take game with, it's what you should take game with. Using an inadequate cartridge, that the Tacticools think it's sexy or because every gun mag on the stands has (been paid to) promote it, to shoot a large animal resulting in a meager blood trail and prolonged time to death, leading to hours casting around the woods with my buddies (who I had to pull of their hunt to come help me), ultimately concluding in a lost animal I never find is some guilt I don't need. Not when there are plenty of perfectly good, well-tested, humdrum cartridges in unremarkable platforms made by every major mundane arms manufacturer at a relatively dull and cheap price that will reliably punch through both sides (even through the shoulders) and fully expand to a boring .50 caliber hole.

And fuck headshots. A misjudgment in distance, or an unaccounted for breeze, or a poor squeeze, or an unsteady rest, and a shot at a tiny highly-mobile target becomes at best a complete miss, and at worst a destroyed lower jaw and an animal starving to death miles from where you pulled the trigger.

This insufficient cartridge and headshots bullshit needs to stay on Call of Duty where it belongs.
    You're not wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    I'm not calling anybody a liar, but nothing you said contradicts anything highangle stated. Poachers are Certifiable Assholes and deserve little respect.

Besides, I thought we'd moved off this topic on to FN > Glock or something.

Since we're back here though, the question is never what you can take game with, it's what you should take game with. Using an inadequate cartridge, that the tacticools think it's sexy or because every gun mag on the stands has (been paid to) promote it, to shoot a large animal resulting in a meager blood trail and prolonged time to death, leading to hours casting around the woods with my buddies (who I had to pull of their hunt to come help me), ultimately concluding in a lost animal I never find is some guilt I don't need. Not when there are plenty of perfectly good, well-tested, boring cartridges in unremarkable platforms made by every major pedestrian arms manufacturer at a relatively cheap price.

And fuck headshots. A misjudgment in distance, or an unaccounted for breeze, or a poor squeeze, or an unsteady rest, and a shot at a tiny highly-mobile target becomes at best a complete miss, at worst a destroyed lower jaw and a starving animal.

This dude gets it^^^

Ethical hunting is a noble pursuit, an art form, if you will. The "Nobility" of it is based in Not Wanting To Hurt Animals Or Otherwise Impose Needless Suffering Upon The World.

"A firearm gives whoever holds it power over life and death. With those great powers come great responsibilities." Blah blah...Except no. It's not "Blah blah". It's up to the ethical hunter to live up to his fucking responsibilities. Your slightly blown shot with a marginal caliber will almost always cause horrible suffering and maiming or slow miserable death to another living thing, and it's Your goddamn fault all the way down the line, ain't it?

So set things up for success: Use a bullet on the heavier side in a more than adequate caliber for the game. Only take shots you know are within your cold barrel 1 shot 1 kill range. Wait long enough after you shoot before you do something that might push wounded game.
    If you got blood and can't find him in an hour's search, stop and come back with a dog. Your wife's yappy Maltese can trail blood better than you ever will, your Labrador or your buddy's pointer won't even need to put his nose to the ground. Dogs all know what's up when you put on your camo or take down your fowling piece...Instinct takes over when you put any dog on a blood trail. He'll find your game quick.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    The 22 long rifle debate kind of reminds me of the complications involved in suburban lawn lion hunting. Use too much gun, and it will piss off the neighbors and draw undue attention to the muzzle report. If you don't use enough gun, that cat will wake the dead upon a bad shot.

This dude gets it^^^

Ethical hunting is a noble pursuit, an art form, if you will. The "Nobility" of it is based in Not Wanting To Hurt Animals Or Otherwise Impose Needless Suffering Upon The World.

"A firearm gives whoever holds it power over life and death. With those great powers come great responsibilities." Blah blah...Except no. It's not "Blah blah". It's up to the ethical hunter to live up to his fucking responsibilities. Your slightly blown shot with a marginal caliber will almost always cause horrible suffering and maiming or slow miserable death to another living thing, and it's Your goddamn fault all the way down the line, ain't it?

So set things up for success: Use a bullet on the heavier side in a more than adequate caliber for the game. Only take shots you know are within your cold barrel 1 shot 1 kill range. Wait long enough after you shoot before you do something that might push wounded game.
    If you got blood and can't find him in an hour's search, stop and come back with a dog. Your wife's yappy Maltese can trail blood better than you ever will, your Labrador or your buddy's pointer won't even need to put his nose to the ground. Dogs all know what's up when you put on your camo or take down your fowling piece...Instinct takes over when you put any dog on a blood trail. He'll find your game quick.
    A-fucking-men
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I agree with the summation. Head shots aren't for everyone. I saw enough "Wal-Mart" hunters in my day. Buy a Marlin 30-30 with a scope on it, shoot it once, and head to the woods. Same thing with a bow. Maim and gut shoot tons of animals. I got to deal with the leftovers. But, the golden eagles and vultures got a feast.

I have killed white-tails with:
    .22lr from a S&W Revolver
    .38 special
    .357 Mag
    .22-250
    25-06
    7mm-08

When I was working, we did abomasal parasite studies. Collected deer at night in front of a spotlight. Head shots were required. Not hard when the target doesn't move and shooting from a rest out of the back of a truck. My longest string without a miss was 17. Best night was 7. Favorite gun was the 25-06.

Just got back from the range. The 6.5 AR-10 works great now that I have the correct length gas tube in it. "DPMS-compatible barrel" apparently means that it might require an Armalite-specific gas tube length to run. The 10.5" pseudo-dissipator top-charging AR runs now that the gas block set screws are tight - it'll cycle subs and supers with or without a can. The 11.5" Remington-overrun barrel upper runs on M855 with the can attached, though it is very gassy. All in all, a pretty successful outing.

Also ordered a 9" CMMG 22LR upper and a black dog machine 50-round drum for the incoming M16.

Today was awesome.

Zion, saw this ad on the local gun page. Guys has a Ruger RPR in 6.5 cm and a tikka 300 wm too that seem fairly priced. Itís 2-3 hours from me so canít really go check them out but might be worth your kid looking into.

https://www.zidaho.com/index.php?a=2&b=10586

Sportsman's has the base Vanguard Select on sale for $499.99... .243, .270, .308, '06, 7 Mag, 300WM.

Mea Culpa. Weatherby Vanguards can be had new for $500 at Sportsman's. Just all in chamberings too big or old for New Elk!
    Kids everywhere will be sofknpissed...

Those same bastards at Sportsman's also have the CZ 557 Sporter, a rifle with billet receiver, great barrel, controlled round feed [Mauser] action, hinged floorplate, adjustable fucking trigger, and integrated bases for $499.97 in, get this... .30-06 only! The 6.5 Swede is over $200 more...Those assholes!

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/rifles/cz-557-sporter-synthetic-rifle/p/p41985

edit: That didn't take long!

Last edited by highangle; 07-11-2020 at 03:09 PM.

They could pay $30 more and be just fine.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...rifle/p/p42301

I've been thinking of getting a .30-06, I don't own a hunting rifle. This is not a bad looking deal. The ammo should be available in every backwoods mom and pop.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    They could pay $30 more and be just fine.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...rifle/p/p42301

Thanks...left that new elk tactical tax out.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I've been thinking of getting a .30-06, I don't own a hunting rifle. This is not a bad looking deal. The ammo should be available in every backwoods mom and pop.

On sale, this rifle cost twice what that base Vanguard costs, but with button rifling, CRF action, and 3-pos safety it's a much better, all American made rifle which should appreciate in value over time: https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...ield/p/1529840

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Zion, saw this ad on the local gun page. Guys has a Ruger RPR in 6.5 cm and a tikka 300 wm too that seem fairly priced. Itís 2-3 hours from me so canít really go check them out but might be worth your kid looking into.

https://www.zidaho.com/index.php?a=2&b=10586
    Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Did you see the 10mm discussion a page or so back?
    Just did.

Sportsman's has the base Vanguard Select on sale for $499.99... .243, .270, .308, '06, 7 Mag, 300WM.

Mea Culpa. Weatherby Vanguards can be had new for $500 at Sportsman's. Just all in chamberings too big or old for New Elk!
    Kids everywhere will be sofknpissed...

Those same bastards at Sportsman's also have the CZ 557 Sporter, a rifle with billet receiver, great barrel, controlled round feed [Mauser] action, hinged floorplate, adjustable fucking trigger, and integrated bases for $499.97 in, get this... .30-06 only! The 6.5 Swede is over $200 more...Those assholes!

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/rifles/cz-557-sporter-synthetic-rifle/p/p41985

edit: That didn't take long!

They quit making them 2 years ago. I wouldn't mind having one in 30-06 though.

Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post
    They quit making them 2 years ago. I wouldn't mind having one in 30-06 though.
    They're fine rifles. Never seen a base model in the wild. Most Weatherbys are purty and Cadillac-ey and sorta shout "Weatherby"...Well, at least the Marks do...

Can you see why I suggested riser3 get the $1000 Montana? Comparing the 2 is a classic example of why it's cheap to be liquid, and expensive to be "poor"...

A base Vanguard, unless restocked with some nice wood and otherwise customized by a pro, is going to be worth at least $100 less used than it cost, no? Only a general rise in the cost of guns [or Weatherby going under] will make any plastic-stocked $500 rifle like that appreciate in 5-10yrs.

But your extra $500 on the Montana AST .30-06 buys you not only a higher functioning piece for as long as you have it, it also buys you something almost guaranteed to always be worth at least what you have in it [probably more].

Those MRCs are nice rifles for the money. But it is funny that you mention Weatherby going under while MRC actually is going under. https://montanarifleco.com/wp-conten...ure-Letter.pdf They've been in and out of financial trouble for the last 4-5 years. Not sure how that would affect future monetary value but it could certainly affect factory support.

But a hunting vs collect-ability rifle is a different conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Those MRCs are nice rifles for the money. But it is funny that you mention Weatherby going under while MRC actually is going under. https://montanarifleco.com/wp-conten...ure-Letter.pdf They've been in and out of financial trouble for the last 4-5 years. Not sure how that would affect future monetary value but it could certainly affect factory support.

But a hunting vs collect-ability rifle is a different conversation.

A buttoned-rifled full Mauser glass-bedded in a piece of French with 3-position safety and adjustable trigger is a better big game hunting machine than the Vanguard.

The 3-way safety is safer around people, CRF is more reliable than push feed, Montana's triggers are fine like frog hair, and so are their barrels. Your $500 extra buys a custom rifle that will never be worth less than what you paid for it.

MRC reorganizing as something else will turn that '06 into a collector's piece. Mebbe I should just lock mine up in the box after it arrives Aug 6?

Edit-disregard. I thought we were talking about Zion's kid still...didn't see Riser asking. Yeah, that MRC is going to get you features you would usually pay a lot more for. And they are all practical features that will make the rifle a better shooter. If I wasn't sitting on a number of '06s, I'd take the deal on that MRC.

I wasn't recommending a wood long action Mauser for Zion's kid, I was recommending it for riser3, who wants an '06.
    I don't know his level of experience or even where he hunts...If he is less experienced [no crime], he would presumably hunt with it for a few years, or maybe shop around for another hunting rifle, before he fully realized just what he had in that American Standard.
    If he is more experienced, he'll recognize it's every bit the rifleman's rifle a $2000 Pre '64 Model 70 is.

And if MRC had to fold because they sold their rifles too cheap...Expect high collectability, maybe even cult status.

If he is more experienced, he'll recognize it's every bit the rifleman's rifle a $2000 Pre '64 Model 70 is.

And if MRC had to fold because they sold their rifles too cheap...Expect high collectability, maybe even cult status.
    Nothing wrong with the MRC. It will be a shooter. If you wanted to spend under a grand for a guaranteed cult rifle, I'd just buy this: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thre...r-sale.177555/

I'd buy one if I didn't already have this in my safe. Grandpa packed it for 40 some years. Then he gave it to me in the late 90s. I still occasionally take it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M70.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	565.1 KB 
ID:	334563