Page 139 of 435 FirstFirst ... 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,475 of 10853

Thread: GUNS!!!!!!!!

jgb@etree Guest
    Anyone have a recommendation for a +2 mag tube extension for a Mossy 590A1? I like the offering from S&J, but haven't found anyone with them in stock stateside, and don't feel like dealing with the delays associated with ordering from Canuckistan. I know that Choate also mkaes one, but I believe it sticks out past the end of a 18.5" bbl, whereas the S&J extension makes the feed tube the same length as the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    Naw. Its metal, so the weight helps.
    Makes me really hate the little plastic ones I have shot.
    I only reload, so I can make it as stout as needed.
    It can get snappy pretty quick though.

I have a Colt National Match A1, and
    a Colt Anniversary coming, so the reviews shall follow.
    Most .380s are horrible - haven't ever tried a small metal one though.

Hopefully you'll have lot of pics of the Colts. I love high-end Colts. Either of them in .38 super?

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Anyone have a recommendation for a +2 mag tube extension for a Mossy 590A1? I like the offering from S&J, but haven't found anyone with them in stock stateside, and don't feel like dealing with the delays associated with ordering from Canuckistan. I know that Choate also mkaes one, but I believe it sticks out past the end of a 18.5" bbl, whereas the S&J extension makes the feed tube the same length as the barrel.
    Thinking about getting into 3 gun. This is a new platform rather than modifying what you have, but was recommended to me as purpose ready out of the box and seems to address the concerns you noted - albeit with a longer barrel. Have found that sometimes selling the one you have in favor of buying something stock modified makes sense and can save money over the long haul. I would have no problem using this platform as home defense - notwithstanding the longer barrel. Buck, slug, repeat.

$620 from my local brick & mortar.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/sho...tactical-class

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
    Thinking about getting into 3 gun. This is a new platform rather than modifying what you have, but was recommended to me as purpose ready out of the box and seems to address the concerns you noted - albeit with a longer barrel. Have found that sometimes selling the one you have in favor of buying something stock modified makes sense and can save money over the long haul. I would have no problem using this platform as home defense - notwithstanding the longer barrel. Buck, slug, repeat.

$620 from my local brick & mortar.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/sho...tactical-class
    Yeah, that would definitely be a better option. I've used a 590A1 quite a bit, so it just feels natural to me but running a pump gun is a liability as the action needs to be manually cycled between rounds & just takes a little longer. In theory (and most practice) a semi auto > pump gun for 3 gun. I also like the ribbed barrel on the 930 as I find that a bead front sight allows me to get on target much more quickly than the ghost ring sights I've got on the 590. On the flip side, most of the 3 gun courses I've run have included shotgun slug targets between 50 & 100 yds. The 18.5" barrel really isn't an issue at these distances and it's just that much easier to handle than something with a longer barrel. While a little slower on target acquisition with the ghost rings, I find I'm much more accurate at longer distances with slugs. But when shooting non-slug loads, I just hate the ghost rings.

$620 seems like a pretty decent deal though. My only concern about those 930's would be reliability. While I don't know anything about how reliable the 930 is, the 590A1 is pretty much bombproof. That said, I doubt JM would allow Mossberg to use his name on the product if they weren't solid guns.

My 38 super is a Dan Wesson.
    I have my ffl guy looking for a Colt Custom 38 super though.
    Its a high Polish stainless pistol, with very few markings..Clean, and beautiful.
    Para actually has one that looks just like it, thought about getting it for kicks, but will wait on the Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Yeah, that would definitely be a better option. I've used a 590A1 quite a bit, so it just feels natural to me but running a pump gun is a liability as the action needs to be manually cycled between rounds & just takes a little longer. In theory (and most practice) a semi auto > pump gun for 3 gun. I also like the ribbed barrel on the 930 as I find that a bead front sight allows me to get on target much more quickly than the ghost ring sights I've got on the 590. On the flip side, most of the 3 gun courses I've run have included shotgun slug targets between 50 & 100 yds. The 18.5" barrel really isn't an issue at these distances and it's just that much easier to handle than something with a longer barrel. While a little slower on target acquisition with the ghost rings, I find I'm much more accurate at longer distances with slugs. But when shooting non-slug loads, I just hate the ghost rings.

$620 seems like a pretty decent deal though. My only concern about those 930's would be reliability. While I don't know anything about how reliable the 930 is, the 590A1 is pretty much bombproof. That said, I doubt JM would allow Mossberg to use his name on the product if they weren't solid guns.
    I don't have the 3 gun experience to speak from, but JM knows and there are a number of modifications - including, but not limited to, enlarged charging handle for ambi use and larger feed ramp that allows for speedloading 3 shells at a time that appear to be clear winners. If you check the beginning of the video on the Mossberg site it shows him shooting slugs in a way you never could with a pump action and also from a shorter (probably modified) barrel.

I have never shot a pump well for rifle or shotgun. Have heard the cold weather arguments for waterfowl, but my sbe2 has never failed me and I would imagine the auto load feature is money for 3 gun - aside from speed of follow up - due to substantially less felt recoil. Don't miss the 870 super mag for turkey (follow up not important) or geese...though felt recoil is less of an issue with a live target.

My local guy is cheaper by $40 or so than you see most places. It's a pretty sweet gun and far cheaper than the mods required to Benelli/Remington similar products.

Not my style, but I broke down, and ordered my first polymer pistol.
    I read an article by Wiley Clapp, basically saying this was as close to a perfect pistol, that he has seen.
    We shall see. I have high hopes.

This colt just came in, and I need to pick it up. Picture is a stock one.

This is the colt I am waiting for.

Not my style, but I broke down, and ordered my first polymer pistol.
    I read an article by Wiley Clapp, basically saying this was as close to a perfect pistol, that he has seen.
    We shall see. I have high hopes.
    Dude, the VP9 is sweet!!! For me it was a toss-up between the PPQ M1 and VP9. I ended up with the PPQ, because its slightly smaller thus easier to carry and I liked the trigger better. But I don't think you can go wrong with the VP9. It has pretty amazing ergonomics and is extremely accurate.

I would love to see HK come out with a striker fired P2000SK. I think I might be able to jump on the band wagon then.

[spam](If you want a plastic holster to match your plastic gun let me know.)[/spam]

My next firearm will be a VP9.

For posterity's sake, I'd like to report that I now have several rounds down the Tikka T3 SS Light in .308 and it is an absolute tack driver. About 0.7 MOA shooting Hornady Match 165g out of the box at 100y. I lightened the trigger and added a limb saver, used Tally rings and a Vortex Viper PST. This could be the ultimate mountain hunting rifle and it's actually pretty fun at the range in such a light caliber.
    Last edited by The Reverend Floater; 04-01-2015 at 10:21 PM.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I actually bought it cheaper than my ffl can get it.
    I got it from gunbuyers.com. In case you are looking.
    I am not affiliated.
    My guy does not charge me for transfer, as he's my bud.
    To my door was 565.00.

I actually bought it cheaper than my ffl can get it.
    I got it from gunbuyers.com. In case you are looking.
    I am not affiliated.
    My guy does not charge me for transfer, as he's my bud.
    To my door was 565.00.
    Nice! Most places around here are around $600 for the basic one with plastic sights and 2 mags or $670 with metal night sights and 3 mags.

Any opinions on the Stoeger 3020 for a ruffled/sharptail killer for the backyard?

I have a Stoeger and a Benelli, the Stoeger works great just a bit rougher in the finish, hard for things to go wrong with the inertia system
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

jgb@etree Guest
    Stoger, Benelli & Franchi are all owned by Beretta, IIRC. All well made, some brands just have higher quality fit & finish.

I ran a M2000 for 3gun last year and it worked fine. It just wasn't anything special.

Thirded. I have a Binelli duck gun--15 years old now with a minimum of 25 days off duckin' a season, often much more, and it has never failed me in even the dirtiest and wettest of conditions. The Inertia System is the best automatic scatter gun platform in the world if you ask me.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Looking for some advice from the maggot-hive mind. I grew up with rifles and shotguns, but pistols are something I have little experience with. I'm looking for a sidearm that I can take backpacking with me that is reliable (aka bombproof), accurate, relatively lightweight, and has decent stopping power. I realize that there's probably no gun that will be excellent in all of those categories, but looking for something that will come as close as possible. Living in New England, I don't have to worry about coming face to face with a grizzly, and black bears don't concern me much as I've encountered them a handful of times and they're pansies. But if I'm out on a multi day trip with my wife and pup, I think it would give me better piece of mind to have a pistol for protection from critters and crazy hillbillies.

I'm intrigued by the Glock 21, but I'm a total newb when it comes to handguns. Do any of you carry when you're hiking?
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

I backpack with a glock 23. It's light until i put 13 rounds of .40 in it. But still pretty manageable unless your an ultra light ounce counter.

.45 May be overkill for critters or vagrants. You may be okay with 9mm or .40. I have the deep penetration rounds just because I'm in the PNW but not sure it would help with a cougar, bear, or goat.

I normally carry a glock 19 when hiking. If you're a newb to handguns, just buy a glock 19. 9mm is easy to shoot, good capacity and plenty powerful for whatever you might encounter. Glock 19s are reliable, accurate, easy to carry and can be had cheaply. Look for gen 3 Glock police trade-ins, you can easily find them for under $400. They generally just have a little holster wear and a few rounds put through them. Normally have high quality night sights too. Basically the departments have a certain upgrade interval and glock buys them back.

You can also find police trade in Glock 21s. I just picked one up for $400.

Oh, and stopping power is a moot point with handguns.

For me, my handgun options for defense are a Para ordnance P14 (.45) or a seven shot S&W 686 .357. The Para is my home defense gun, and the S&W is my woods gun. I like the .357 mostly because of human habituated bears. I bury it in my pack when hiking and only take it out at camp.

Stoked...I set up a target and gong in the back yard and had a lot of fun tonight. Started with the target at 200 and gong at 300 just to test shit out and I donged it five times consecutively pretty easily. Going to move it out to 400 this weekend and hopefully build another to set at 500 or 600. Here's my coworker shooting my Savage FCP in .308. Idaho rules!

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Stoked...I set up a target and gong in the back yard and had a lot of fun tonight. Started with the target at 200 and gong at 300 just to test shit out and I donged it five times consecutively pretty easily. Going to move it out to 400 this weekend and hopefully build another to set at 500 or 600. Here's my coworker shooting my Savage FCP in .308. Idaho rules!

I love shooting steel at long range. Particularly if you have a muzzle brake and you can see the bullet shatter on the target at some silly distance.

My new mountain biking partner. .38+P Crazy light, and trigger pull feels really nice out of the box. Little click after the cylinder rotates, another when the firing pin retracts, and very easy to pause before firing. Went hammerless so it wouldn't snag when drawing. Have only dry-fired so far, and have to renew my range membership, but hope to put some rounds through it in the next couple of weeks. Still snow on the trails in Georgetown/Plume, so no big rush. Stoked though, and trigger feels infinitely better than the one on my SR-9c!
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

You should file the front sight off.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro
    I like the .357 mostly because of human habituated bears. I bury it in my pack when hiking and only take it out at camp.
    A 2am bear-in-my-campsite encounter 2 years ago is the main reason I'm looking for a gun. I was backpacking in the white mountains and did everything right as far as food prep and storage goes but was warned by the Rangers that they'd had a lot of bear activity in the area. He bluff charged once but never seemed that aggressive- just wanted my tasty food. Woke up when I heard him trying to get at the food stash in the trees and he fell. Best cardio workout you can get!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I love shooting steel at long range. Particularly if you have a muzzle brake and you can see the bullet shatter on the target at some silly distance.
    It is even more fun when using a suppressor!
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.