Page 339 of 434 FirstFirst ... 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 ... LastLast
Results 8,451 to 8,475 of 10837

Thread: GUNS!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    cool stories and some rifles and shotguns
    Priceless. The guns are nice too.

I love those Savage 24s. My Granddad carried one in .222/20ga. as his primary deer rifle my entire life. I can't look at it without thinking of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Just wrapped up a weekend with my 92 year old grandpa and some other family. He wanted to pass on his guns before he went so we all took turns picking out firearms to take home. I ended up with some cool rifles with cool stories and some rifles and shotguns that he didn't know the history on. He told me to sell whatever I wanted but there's only a few I'll probably never shoot and there's no story to them so I'll see if friends want to grab them.

The favorites I was gifted-

-Win Model 94 30-30 that he bought the year I was born and carried when he rode his horse rounding up cattle.
    -Colt Army Special 38 that my great grandfathered carried hunting. Looked up the serial number and it will be 100 years old next year.
    -Win Model 71 .348 that he loaned me a few years ago. He made it my first choice in the pickings. The good news-seven boxes of ammo for it.
    -Win Model 75 .22 LR that he shot a bunch of jack rabbits and whistle pigs on the ranch with. Apparently very accurate.
    -Savage Model 24 .22 LR/20 ga over under he kept in his camper since the 70s.
    -My great grandfathers Springfield 1903 30-06 that he hunted with for years before replacing with a pre 64 Model 70 that was already gifted to me on my 16th birthday.
    -A few pump scatters that he can't remember who or where they came from. Probably a bunch of old ranch guns. A couple other .22s and a single shot 20 ga.
    -A Marlin 30-06 that was his big game hunting rifle he bought in the 50s. At the end of the picks, I found out my cousin didn't think about his picks well and didn't get any of our grandpa's actual hunting rifles. I didn't even look at the model...just handed it to my cousin and told him to enjoy it. His girlfriend texted and said that rifle was all he could talk about on the way home.

Others of note that went to family members included a factory engraved Savage 99 from '54 in .300 Savage, a Weatherby Patrician engraved with his name that he won shooting, 300 Weatherby, Colt 1911 from the '20s, a couple other Savage 24s in different calibers, and a few I'm sure will come out at Thanksgiving.

I'm not close to much of my family but it was a really cool experience. I can't stand my uncle and as I was going to pick a rifle, he mentioned he really wanted that one and I handed it to him and took his next pick. Some good break throughs. My grandpa laughed and reminisced. I wouldn't change the weekend. I was staying with old g-pops and after everybody left, I poured a bourbon and asked him how he felt. He only said content.

He also gave me boxes and boxes of ammo. All the center fire isn't corroded and has non-corrosive primers so I'm good there. But there's a bunch of pristine paper hulled shotgun ammo. All looks good. Safe to shoot? I'm okay tossing it too but wondering if there is any value to vintage ammo collectors. I'd give it to them for a beer. Just feel bad tossing it. Rather shoot it or have someone take it who would appreciate it. Anyone know?

I'll get some pics up as I clean and oil them. Most of them haven't been looked at or much less fired in 20 years.
    Wow, you are rich beyond words.

Enjoy and take care of them as he has wished. One day it will be your turn to pass them on.

Blessings are real.
    watch out for snakes

Win Model 71 .348
    https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...=5&PageSize=96

Great first pick. The 38 and 30-30 were good too.

The paper shells are worth money, maybe $25-100 a box.

Great experience. Great memories. Write down the story now so you can pass it along.

My uncle gave me his collection. Some had stories, others were just things he had picked up along the way. Dumped some of the low end stuff, but ended up with some pretty cool pieces. He hunted ruffed grouse and had tons of shotguns.

Favorite story, actually the only one he ever told me about his WWII experience. He was a private and trained in artillery. He was pulled from his company, given a rifle and sent into the Battle of the Bulge. Fought in the Black Forest and Ardennes. Said they were going through a village collecting firearms, piling them in the street, then running over them with a tank.

Said an old man came out carrying two guns. Neither spoke the other's language. Fellow handed the guns to my uncle with tears in his eyes. Uncle said there he stood as a foot soldier, all his gear, a Thompson submachine gun, and ammo for it. No clue what to do with these two guns. One was a custom built German 7mm Mauser Sporter, the other a Drilling, 16 gauge over a 7mm.

Guy in a truck came by, pulled up and told him if he would write his name and address down, he would see they got to my uncle. Uncle didn't have much choice, so he handed over the guns and a piece of paper with the info. Said he had been home about 6 months when one day a big box arrived. In it was the Mauser and the Drilling. Both are in my vault!
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Ken-thanks man. I had a life experience last weekend and it’s sweet hearing other people’s. Firearms are too polarizing these days. There’s a heritage to certain guns that I wish more people would take a second and think about. I know there’s another conversation about other people and other guns and the problems but this is a stoke thread after all.

As I was going through some rifles tonight writing down serial numbers and basically becoming familiar with operation, I couldn’t help but picture my grandpa and great grandpa carrying them through the woods, shoving pheasants in their vests, roping elk on horses, my grandpa riding his bike to a local pond as a teenager with a single shot 20 gauge around 1940 and riding home with a couple ducks...etc.

Yeah, my uncle was a month or so away from dying from lung cancer. I would have enjoyed hearing more stories, but it was not to be.

He had a little Mauser 1910 pistol. I asked where he got it. He dropped his head and said there was a German officer that just didn't need it anymore. I got a bunch of daggers and swords, flags, beer steins, and other items he brought back, but no stories. Not a subject he would discuss.

I need to catalog all my stuff too. Come to the house when you get yours done!!!
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Great experience. Great memories. Write down the story now so you can pass it along.

My uncle gave me his collection. Some had stories, others were just things he had picked up along the way. Dumped some of the low end stuff, but ended up with some pretty cool pieces. He hunted ruffed grouse and had tons of shotguns.

Favorite story, actually the only one he ever told me about his WWII experience. He was a private and trained in artillery. He was pulled from his company, given a rifle and sent into the Battle of the Bulge. Fought in the Black Forest and Ardennes. Said they were going through a village collecting firearms, piling them in the street, then running over them with a tank.

Said an old man came out carrying two guns. Neither spoke the other's language. Fellow handed the guns to my uncle with tears in his eyes. Uncle said there he stood as a foot soldier, all his gear, a Thompson submachine gun, and ammo for it. No clue what to do with these two guns. One was a custom built German 7mm Mauser Sporter, the other a Drilling, 16 gauge over a 7mm.

Guy in a truck came by, pulled up and told him if he would write his name and address down, he would see they got to my uncle. Uncle didn't have much choice, so he handed over the guns and a piece of paper with the info. Said he had been home about 6 months when one day a big box arrived. In it was the Mauser and the Drilling. Both are in my vault!
    Great story Ken.

I got my Grandads RAF log book when he died.

My uncle has a samurai sword brought back from the pacific by my great Uncle. Still has blood on it. Not sure whose? But I’ll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Very nice, looked seriously at those. Let us know how the mags work and how it shoots.
    Put about 1k rounds through it, and it ate everything I gave it. I have the 20 and 30 rd mags, they all fed perfectly. I swapped out the foregrip for vertical version and put a Romeo red dot on it. Fun to plink with, not sure it will be my new truck gun replacing the AK under-folder. Very accurate with ~ 3" groups at 50 yards with iron sights.
    The only negative is the safety placement that rubs on your trigger finger, so I'm replacing that with an upgraded version. Easy disassembly and cleaning. I highly recommend a pcc for all non-restricted shooters.

I've been looking for one of these for 8 months. I caught them in stock three times at the right distributor, but the local gun shop never could put two and two together and order me one in time. This one came from gunbroker. Due to that and a whole bunch of other bullshit with my last few transfers, I'm looking for a new shop in/around Jackson. Any suggestions?

Stock mags are 33 rounds of quad-stack goodness in 22LR. They apparently have extensions that'll make them 50 rounds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0798.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	294723

Time to go old school.

1957 Win Model 12 Heavy Duck with a factory installed vent rib which to my understanding is there are not many around, especially in this condition. A lot of Simmons after market installs.

Next up...Colt Army Special 38 that my great grandpa carried.

Took the Model 75 out. It's a shooter. First shot to see where it would hit and then touching 3 shot groups at 25 yds for the next 50 or so rounds. It was a 25 yd range so need to see what it can do outside soon. Really liked the trigger and fun to shoot an old peep.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Here's a couple levers. A Model 94 my grandpa bought the year I was born. I have his old saddle scabbard for it too. Now I need a horse. And his 71 Deluxe. Not cheep to shoot but he gifted me another couple hundred rounds.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Those are beautiful!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Me and the grommet put a rail and scope on an old 10/22. Took it out and sighted it in last weekend . Kid did the shooting. He was stoked to get it in black at 75 yrds on third group. Spent the rest of the time busting tin cans. Fun time in the west desertClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20191006_144146.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	297082Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191006_145842.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	297083
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Time to go old school.

1957 Win Model 12 Heavy Duck with a factory installed vent rib which to my understanding is there are not many around, especially in this condition. A lot of Simmons after market installs.

Took the Model 75 out. It's a shooter. First shot to see where it would hit and then touching 3 shot groups at 25 yds for the next 50 or so rounds. It was a 25 yd range so need to see what it can do outside soon. Really liked the trigger and fun to shoot an old peep.
    I can't see pics for some reason but it sounds like we have identical model 12s. Mine was my first shotgun. They're fantastic guns...built like tanks with a lasting finish that you just don't find any more.

This is my Model 1912, build date 1916 - Winchester shortened it to Model 12 in 1919. It belonged to my great uncle, no bluing left whatsoever. A lot of Southern Illinois squirrels and rabbits fell to this gun. I try to take it out once a year to bag a ditch chicken.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phez (2).jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	350.4 KB 
ID:	297090

Hey, I picked up one of those a few months ago. Built in 1914. Mine was also shortened to about 20". I seem to recall that it was a Trap Model. Haven't shot it yet.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Time to go old school.

Have fun with the Model 12, she is a beauty. They are phenominal shooters.

My FIL introduced me to shotgun sports 20 years ago with an O/U. Soon thereafter I bought a nice Browning O/U.

A couple of years later I shot my FIL's Model 12. I had never before shot a pump gun. It was love at first shot. I've got a couple of 12 gauge shooters now, one mod and one full choke, and sold the O/U years ago. They fit me like a glove and point like a dream.

They are a dream on the sporting Clay's course. The model 12 full choke is very tight but is a ton of fun shooting clay birds. That duck gun will be a load of fun shooting Clay's. I hope you get a chance to shoot it often.

Bring it out and I guarantee a few guys will ask about the gun and reminisce about the model 12 they once had and wish they never sold.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BC13 View Post
    Bring it out and I guarantee a few guys will ask about the gun and reminisce about the model 12 they once had and wish they never sold.
    Had one. Sold it. Hate myself for it

Grandfather left me a bunch of guns and that was one of them. (Dad not a gun guy, does not hunt or fish, I did both with "Pepere", so he left me his guns instead of my Dad) Needed money, had other shotguns, and was not really into shotgun sports at the time. DUMB

I haven't rifle hunted in years (like 20?), but I have a kid that's super into it and so I'm going to dive in to have an activity to do with him.

Anyone have anything to say to sway me one way or the other for 7mm vs 300wsm in the same rifle?

7mm/08

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    7mm/08
    I probably should have clarified; I only have the choice between those two. This will primarily be an elk gun, although I guess, I could theoretically see myself going up or down the ungulate size chart at some point in the future.

I'm a 7 RM guy but nothing wrong with a .300 WSM. The recoil on the mags, usually on the lighter mountain rifles, can be a lot causing people to flinch on the shot so something to be aware of. A lot of guys will run a muzzle brake and wear earplugs (me).

7mm WSM or 7mm Rem mag? I'd be all over a 7wsm. Great round, but be aware that ammo has been scarce at times.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I haven't rifle hunted in years (like 20?), but I have a kid that's super into it and so I'm going to dive in to have an activity to do with him.

Anyone have anything to say to sway me one way or the other for 7mm vs 300wsm in the same rifle?
    What is the 7mm? Remington magnum?
    As conundrum pointed out, the 300wsm can be a handful for a beginner shooter who will be susceptible to recoil causing them to flinch.
    The 7mm RM is a great cartridge and in a normal weight hunting rifle, 8-9lbs kitted, it will have manageable recoil. The 300 on the other hand will have significant recoil which can be tamed with a brake.