Page 359 of 435 FirstFirst ... 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 ... LastLast
Results 8,951 to 8,975 of 10853

Thread: GUNS!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Gut shot is gut shot. A .264" accubond through the lungs is going to tip an elk over just fine. They aren't bullet proof.

7mm's been killing elk forever, somehow 20 thousands of an inch is going to let them walk away?
    Ha. Rev said I was opening a can of worms here. I don't think the 7mm vs 6.5 is about bullet diameter but about the extra 500ish foot pounds of energy delivered at hunting ranges.

Rev: I like the look of the Vanguard FirstLite better than the new Meateater rifle, but he's a broke 22yo so he's looking at the cheaper models.

Edit: looks like Conundrum beat me to the point and said it better. I also hunt with 7mm rem mag.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    I'd recommend the Vanguard First Lite

High Angle, you'd be stepping down in bullet size from a 6.5--you think the extra kinetic energy from a long action would adequately make up for it? I've never owned a big game rifle smaller than the 6.5CM so I wouldn't know. And Zion, as you probably already know, a 6.5 is simply a necked down .308, for whatever that's worth.

Kids think Taylors are cooler than Martins too...Bleahg. The 6.5CM is a target round, introduced to make beaucoup $$ off Gen Airsoft. There's scads of similar cartridges, and a lot of proven rounds that are better for elk, which can stop a bullet almost as well as a buffalo, and which don't always give a young hunter wideopen beanfield sniper broadside opportunities.
    [BTW, a bipod, even a carbon fiber bipod, is not a particularly worthwhile big game rifle accessory, unless you own or pay for the opportunity to spread out your shooting tarp or table and calmly bust semi-wild animals over food plots like steel silhouettes. Making shit happen with an improvised rest used to be part of the "big game" skillset back when I allowed kids on my grass. I think guthooks on knives are equally worthless for real men, and have an acquaintance who had to drop out of the fucking Iditarod after he almost cut his fucking thumb off with a sponsor's fucking guthook knife, but that's another subject...]

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...-65-creedmoor/
    Last edited by highangle; 07-01-2020 at 01:14 PM.

I like worms and think bullets matter more than headstamps. And I'll never think two rifles instead of one is wrong.

I've killed more elk with arrows and a 7mm saum, I've killed exactly one elk with a 6.5 (saum) without much effort. So grain of salt and all that..

6.5 saum is putting out about the same or better ballistics than a 7 RM with the same barrel. If Zion's kid was asking about a saum, I don't think people would have said what they did. Not cheap to feed if you're not rolling your own though.

I wouldn't hesitate shooting a .260 rem or a 6.5 cool kids at any elk standing.

I had a 260 rem for awhile, Sako 75 finnlite, ridiculously accurate. Killed a couple nice deer with it the sold it off in a fit of idiocy.

I wouldn't hesitate shooting a .260 rem or a 6.5 cool kids at any elk standing.

I had a 260 rem for awhile, Sako 75 finnlite, ridiculously accurate. Killed a couple nice deer with it the sold it off in a fit of idiocy.
    You don't sound like a young hunter looking at an off the rack budget rifle and might have more range time and accuracy skills.

Fuel on fire: I prefer 7mm-08
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

If I thought he could afford designer rounds I’d tell him to get a 280ai. For no particular reason than I think they’re pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I think where ammo is today, there are a bunch of great options and it's tough to go wrong. But, it's always better to get closer and have more energy when needed. Unless that energy makes you shoot poorly.

In related, spooge-worthy news, I have a Weatherby Mark V CarbonMark Pro in 6.5CM coming soon from my buddy over there. Definitely, hands-down, the most expensive rifle I've ever owned and one that I'd never actually buy, so I'm excited.

I'll report back with my thoughts once it arrives. Curious to see if it changes my mind on the value proposition inherent to rifles like Tikkas, etc.
    I have a christensen arms ridgeline. It looks similar in both construction and price to that weatherby. I have it in 6.5 Creedmoor but hunt in the Southeast, Mid-west and Texas. So no experience with Elk. I would concur on needing a heavier larger bullet for elk.
    As for the value, after years of shooting stuff like Savage, I can say the weight savings are worth it alone. The biggest difference was putting a Svarovski scope and keeping the weight down on the whole package. I've shot whitetail out to about 300 yds in some big fields.
    I think your going to like it because weatherby builds some nice rifles with great service.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    Fuel on fire: I prefer 7mm-08
    I'm trying to talk myself out of a pawn shop 7/08 right now. I know it would be a project and I have too many projects but it would be a fun project.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    You don't sound like a young hunter looking at an off the rack budget rifle and might have more range time and accuracy skills.
    I recommended a Vanguard!

FWIW, my rigs run from pawn shop rugers to customs, and I'll never look down on a good shooting budget rifle.

In some ways those are more fun than any custom, at least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I have a christensen arms ridgeline. It looks similar in both construction and price to that weatherby. I have it in 6.5 Creedmoor but hunt in the Southeast, Mid-west and Texas. So no experience with Elk. I would concur on needing a heavier larger bullet for elk.
    As for the value, after years of shooting stuff like Savage, I can say the weight savings are worth it alone. The biggest difference was putting a Svarovski scope and keeping the weight down on the whole package. I've shot whitetail out to about 300 yds in some big fields.
    I think your going to like it because weatherby builds some nice rifles with great service.
    Well funny enough, I own the Christensen ELR in 6.5CM which I got for around $1K. The Weatherby is *supposedly* more accurate and is likely tighter in construction. But something tells me I'm splitting hairs here. Again, with the Christensen in the safe, I wouldn't have bought this Weatherby. But it'll be a good comparison.

For the record, my workhorse, go-to has always been my Tikka T3 Lite in .300WM. It's killed several mule deer, elk and even a Dall Sheep without a hickup, and has been dropped and beaten (went for ghost ride on a mule in AK and was found in the rocks) and it's still around a half inch rifle. After developing hand loads (Swift Scirocco 2's in 180g), it's tighter in groups than the Christensen 6.5CM seems to be able to achieve. And the Tikka was $750 at Sportsman's. That's why it's always my go-to recommendation for folks--I think it's impossible to beat from a value perspective. Sure the action is "loose," and the stock that comes on them seem cheap. Mags are plastic (you can buy aftermarket versions) and they're not sexy out of the box...but they will go toe to toe with any custom rifle out there, in my experience.

That said, the ELR is a shooter. I confidently shot my mule deer last year at 450 with no problem at all using 143g ELD-X.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I recommended a Vanguard!

FWIW, my rigs run from pawn shop rugers to customs, and I'll never look down on a good shooting budget rifle.

In some ways those are more fun than any custom, at least to me.
    I was merely pointing out that comparing and ultra mag to a creedmoor isn't a great comparison but for someone like you who spends time bow hunting and getting close as well as spending a lot of time shooting, you can really shoot at elk with whatever because you'll probably be close enough to hit accurately with lots of energy or hit super accurately from distance so 6.5 CM or whatever works. Most people in your shoes will know if a caliber is going to get the job done for their application. Some younger hunters might not. If I were to go buy as accurate rifle as possible for as little $ as possible, I'd buy a Ruger American or another Tikka. If I was looking for a do it all, .270-.308 and would probably avoid magnums solely based on ammo cost if I wasn't reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Maybe I misunderstood here but I think a .22 cal no matter the cartridge has been pretty roundly rejected as a good choice for an elk hunt. Way too high a chance of just wounding the animal. 223 556 is debatable even for white tail.
    6.5 CM in an AR-10. It'll work just fine for an elk up close. I'm not a long-shot-at-game-animal person. Then again, per the Reverend, I may end up using a SCAR 17 in 308. It's a little weird that I don't have a real hunting rifle. My only two bolt guns are wildly inappropriate.

Whatever happened to the 30-06?

I've got a tikka t3 that will put 3 shots into a ragged hole at 100yds. Dropped a moose last year no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by mangle View Post
    6.5 CM in an AR-10. It'll work just fine for an elk up close. I'm not a long-shot-at-game-animal person. Then again, per the Reverend, I may end up using a SCAR 17 in 308. It's a little weird that I don't have a real hunting rifle. My only two bolt guns are wildly inappropriate.
    Whoops. Never mind me I can’t read. Sorry. Good luck with the tag!

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post

I've got a tikka t3 that will put 3 shots into a ragged hole at 100yds. Dropped a moose last year no issues.
    Not hip and cool because gun manufacturers have already sold a bunch of them. However, I do have three of them in my safe-my great grandfather's, my grandpa's, and my dad's. I shot my first dear with my dad's. They are still a great do it all.

308 happened
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

The guy who owned the biggest flying service in Naknek was a fly & shoot guide in the 60s and 70s. He used to fly rich assholes across the Bering Strait to poach polar bears in Russia, if they had the balls. Otherwise, he'd just fly over himself and kill one for whoever paid him.

"How many polar bears did you end up killing during those years?"
    "An even 88."
    "Damn. What did you carry?"
    "Model 70, .30-06"

This pair is in a box headed my way!

Name:  NEW STI pic.jpeg
Views: 341
Size:  167.9 KB
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    This pair is in a box headed my way!

Name:  NEW STI pic.jpeg
Views: 341
Size:  167.9 KB
    The threw in a nerf gun with a 1911? Sweet!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

The threw in a nerf gun with a 1911? Sweet!
    2011 not 1911.

Those will be fun.

Ever notice how many c more's are on high end pistols and yet they are rare on ar15's?

Name:  6.5.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  52.5 KB

Just show your son this, might change his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post
    2011 not 1911.

Those will be fun.

Ever notice how many c more's are on high end pistols and yet they are rare on ar15's?
    What's a c'more?