Page 360 of 435 FirstFirst ... 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 ... LastLast
Results 8,976 to 9,000 of 10853

Thread: GUNS!!!!!!!!

The pewtypewpew red dot on the shiny bluehandled zipgun. Makes brass fall like liquid, so I here.

GUNS!!!!!!!!

Looking to start saving for a midrange rifle for western hunting. Since it’s on everyone’s mind from above, I’d love some advice from the collective:
    I have a savage trophy hunter package in 308, it’s a shooter, can do subMOA at 100 if I’m on my game, MOA average. Optic and rings are trash. First option is high end (Viper or better) optic and rings, upgraded stock, or, upgrade caliber to probably 7mm or a 300, looking at vanguard or tikka, the new t3x veil camo guns look primo and in the top end of the price range(can get industry deals, but aiming to buy around 1k retail for the rifle) that will also get higher end optics. Worth it to just upgrade the savage? My effective range(skill based) is 300 now, but I’d like to be able to bump that out to 4-500, and don’t know how I feel about the 308 past those ranges. Currently load is factory superformance 165 GMX copper.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Looking to start saving for a midrange rifle for western hunting. Since it’s on everyone’s mind from above, I’d love some advice from the collective:
    I have a savage trophy hunter package in 308, it’s a shooter, can do subMOA at 100 if I’m on my game, MOA average. Optic and rings are trash. First option is high end (Viper or better) optic and rings, upgraded stock, or, upgrade caliber to probably 7mm or a 300, looking at vanguard or tikka, the new t3x veil camo guns look primo and in the top end of the price range(can get industry deals, but aiming to buy around 1k retail for the rifle) that will also get higher end optics. Worth it to just upgrade the savage? My effective range(skill based) is 300 now, but I’d like to be able to bump that out to 4-500, and don’t know how I feel about the 308 past those ranges. Currently load is factory superformance 165 GMX copper.

So take it for what it’s worth , but savages are shooter but so are tikkas and they only around $1,000 give or take.
    I don’t think I shoot my Christensen better per se, but it’s the weight, but it’s also almost 3 times the price. If you can swing a tikka in something like 7mm or step up to a beefy 300 wm, youll be fine. Just spend more money on glass.
    Vortex was offering 40% off for nurses, know anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I work for a brand that effectively rolled out that 40% off for nurses, got the discounts covered, just wanted someone to justify my decision. Not sure if it makes sense to change the trigger/stock on the Savage for ~400, or sell it for around that and put that money to a that sweet new veil Tikka, threaded muzzle, fluted barrel/bolt, and most likely saving for a Razor LHT.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Personal opinion, but I'd never hunt with a muzzle break, so they are worthless to me as they change POI (so no reason to practice with it). Save the $400 by going with a t3x lite stainless and put the extra towards glass. Google will show you some pretty good home camo paint jobs on standard tikka stocks.

My long term goal would be getting a can for it, hence the thought of getting something with a threaded barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    My long term goal would be getting a can for it, hence the thought of getting something with a threaded barrel.
    I did go with the Christensen because of the threaded built in for one of suppressors. It’s nice when a gun has it built in. I have a couple of suppressors and I hate shooting without one.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Looks to be an STI 2011 or similar clone. Double stack 1911. Gun has a magwell funnel. The mag appear to be a 155 or 171.25mm mag. The big ones hold 29 or 30 rounds of .38 Super or 9mm. Suspect this is a competition built firearm.

Custom guns by SVI Infinity run north of $6,000.
    It's a Glock.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I recommended a Vanguard!

FWIW, my rigs run from pawn shop rugers to customs, and I'll never look down on a good shooting budget rifle.

In some ways those are more fun than any custom, at least to me.
    One time an anshultz owner at the range saw my groups when we walked out to check targets, and asked about my 22lr rifle. Was expecting to hear about some new custom maker and could not believe it was a $300 CZ with a $50 scope that had been dropped once with an ever so slightly bent ocular bell. He was even more flabbergasted to learn its favorite ammo was federal bulk pack. Nice guy, didn't have a butthurt like some folks would, just wanted to know how he could get a cz, and if there were all this accurate, which as far as I know they are. The cz's trigger wasn't quite as nice as the anshultz, just a hair less crispy with a barely perceptable creep before breaking but in every other way it was as good or better than the several thousand dollar anshultz. Gotta love it.

My $500 pawn shop buy ancient stamped steel slide w german sig 226 is every bit as accurate, and more reliable than my sig x5 tactical. Not to mention the old w german has the hands down best trigger I have ever felt on a handgun, even custom shop s/w wheelguns. Double action is impossibly smooth.

Yea, there is definitely something more fun shooting those than their higher dollar cousins, although it may just be because they actually are just better guns. But ya, the pinacle of quality engineering and craftsmanship is getting the job done better and for less.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    So take it for what it’s worth , but savages are shooter but so are tikkas and they only around $1,000 give or take.
    I don’t think I shoot my Christensen better per se, but it’s the weight, but it’s also almost 3 times the price. If you can swing a tikka in something like 7mm or step up to a beefy 300 wm, youll be fine. Just spend more money on glass.
    Vortex was offering 40% off for nurses, know anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or get a cz for around $700. Laser beams, and good fit and finish, and pretty good although not match grade triggers.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Trying to ban BA they are.
    watch out for snakes

Maybe they should upgrade biathlon to skate skis and modern combat weapons with a 7.62 max bullet diameter?

I sold a 300 dollar shotgun for 550 last month. I’ve let go of two g19’s for 800 a piece. Mind you, they were collectable. Shits crazy

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Personal opinion, but I'd never hunt with a muzzle break, so they are worthless to me as they change POI (so no reason to practice with it). Save the $400 by going with a t3x lite stainless and put the extra towards glass. Google will show you some pretty good home camo paint jobs on standard tikka stocks.
    +1, If you're planning on covering a lot of miles and elevation per day.
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Maybe they should upgrade biathlon to skate skis
    They already use skate skis.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    +1, If you're planning on covering a lot of miles and elevation per day.
    Or do what I did and have a permanent brake installed for $200 on your T3 Lite. Makes my 9lb .300WM feel like a cap gun. Game changing.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by AKPogue View Post
    They already use skate skis.
    Yeah, but do they pack SCAR Heavies and bull barreled Lapuas for the sniper silhouette range? No they do not.

BA should be closer to a Nordic winter version of military pentathlon, or 3-gun + real endurance and up&down skiing.
    ie 'A modern soldier is tasked with transporting a vaccine, or some such, across a mountain range. Along the way, she has to engage targets at various ranges and shotgun her way out of an ambush after her primary weapon takes a round and jams.'

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Yeah, but do they pack SCAR Heavies and bull barreled Lapuas for the sniper silhouette range? No they do not.

BA should be closer to a Nordic winter version of military pentathlon, or 3-gun + real endurance and up&down skiing.
    They should carry a SAW.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Or do what I did and have a permanent brake installed for $200 on your T3 Lite. Makes my 9lb .300WM feel like a cap gun. Game changing.
    The noise doesn't bother you? I'd never trust myself to put on ears in hunting situations.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    The noise doesn't bother you? I'd never trust myself to put on ears in hunting situations.
    I started hunting with those contractor ear plugs that sit on an orange band around my neck. Makes it a lot easier.

That said, I have shot an elk without and I'm sure it didn't help my hearing. But at the end of the day, you're talking two shots max a year without ear pro...and that's only if you fuck up.

Having the break makes me a better shot due to less recoil (more square and less flip) and the ability to watch the shot impact. Definitely worth it to me.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I have those cans with the microphone and speakers in them. I love my muzzle brake. If I ever have to take a follow up shot, it makes it possible. Also at the range, I can spot my own shots in the scope.

And those cans are nigh on an unfair advantage due to the hearing bonus. Howard Leight or some such thing.

I go with this in one ear, this in the other. Couldn't be happier with the set up, except in heavy rain or snow (it's a little annoying with a Gore-Tex hood).
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    One time an anshultz owner at the range saw my groups when we walked out to check targets, and asked about my 22lr rifle. Was expecting to hear about some new custom maker and could not believe it was a $300 CZ with a $50 scope that had been dropped once with an ever so slightly bent ocular bell. He was even more flabbergasted to learn its favorite ammo was federal bulk pack. Nice guy, didn't have a butthurt like some folks would, just wanted to know how he could get a cz, and if there were all this accurate, which as far as I know they are. The cz's trigger wasn't quite as nice as the anshultz, just a hair less crispy with a barely perceptable creep before breaking but in every other way it was as good or better than the several thousand dollar anshultz. Gotta love it.

My $500 pawn shop buy ancient stamped steel slide w german sig 226 is every bit as accurate, and more reliable than my sig x5 tactical. Not to mention the old w german has the hands down best trigger I have ever felt on a handgun, even custom shop s/w wheelguns. Double action is impossibly smooth.

Yea, there is definitely something more fun shooting those than their higher dollar cousins, although it may just be because they actually are just better guns. But ya, the pinacle of quality engineering and craftsmanship is getting the job done better and for less.
    100% with you on the well built older guns. My FIL, who introduced me to skeet, trap and sporting clays, bought me a 1950 era Model 12 with fixed Mod choke that had been used as a deer gun (peep sight mount and all) and sports the wear Mark's and dings of a gun that spent its life in the field. Gun was $200 at a going out of business sale.

She is not a looker, but the gun is so smooth you feel like it could pump itself. I'm just a once or twice a year shooter in the time since kids arrived but can still hit the broadside of a barn. On several occasions I've seen sneers when I joined a sporting Clay's or skeet group carrying big money Krieghoffs or the finest Italian O/U of the day with my old M12. On nearly every occasion, after 20 shots someone asks what kind of shotgun it is or recognizes it as a model 12 and tells a story of regret in parting with one in years gone by.

Might just be how the gun fits me, but I've never shot another shotgun that pointed as well as a model 12.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

^^^ Man, you'd shit yourself if you ever got on a good-fitting O/U with a vent rib... But the Model 12 is a classic. "The Professional's Shotgun"... fkn John Browning was a hella good mechanical engineer.

... While we're shotgunning:

In their day, brand new High Standard pump foreends would fall of their own weight if there wasn't a paper husk to extract. They were that smooth.
    Cycling the action became an unconscious act after a very few rounds. In fact, they used to market them as "The pump that thinks it's an automatic!"
    Pretty sure they'll slam fire like a Model 12 if you hold the trigger while you pump...

The Rock Island M5 is a pretty darn good copy of the High Standard riot gun, set up with a 20" chromed barrel with a heat shield and a short stock and very good customer service from the importer.
    It's a bit heavy, but it's an all-steel purpose-made fighting shotgun and most fighting shotguns are heavier than sporting guns. $180-$250, so should leave enough scratch to add a velcro card sidesaddle and a barrel clamp light in front of the mag tube

Should last for years of LARPing around in the dirt, and reliable enough to defend your M2 or home against repeated banzai charges...

Last edited by highangle; 07-04-2020 at 11:59 AM.

^
    I've shot several O/Us over the years and I did find a Beretta that felt really good. However, there is something cool about shooting a 70 yr old 12 gauge pump or 101 yr old 16 gauge pump when everyone else is using autos and O/Us. The fast sporting clay doubles into brush or trees are the only shots where I miss an O/U.

I've never shot a High Standard. I will have to find one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk