Page 146 of 435 FirstFirst ... 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 ... LastLast
Results 3,626 to 3,650 of 10853

Thread: GUNS!!!!!!!!

Same experience here with .375. Wood stock on mine looked great but I went synthetic. Lighter and better.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    If your looking a for a good social work round I'd recommend Gold Dots, Ranger-T, or FMJs depending on your environment and threat analysis. Personally, the first 9 out the door will be GDs, after that there are 18 Ranger-Ts lined up.
    Thanks man. I searched youtube for your recs and found an awesome channel run by this guy-

Looks like I need some Gold Dot +P for my Glock 43.

jgb@etree Guest
    If your looking a for a good social work round I'd recommend Gold Dots, Ranger-T, or FMJs depending on your environment and threat analysis. Personally, the first 9 out the door will be GDs, after that there are 18 Ranger-Ts lined up.
    I guess round selection is a lot more important when you're carrying a 9mm.

All joking aside, what's the your rationale for the mix of gold dot & ranger-t? Price has to be about the same, no? I'm assuming different penetration & expansion characteristics, but am just interested in what you're focusing on to make that choice?

I carry 36rds of HST in 40 s&w. I used to put a FMJ in the chamber and the first 2 rounds in the mag (backed up by 13rds of Gold Dot) if I anticipated being in a vehicle alot, due to an incorrect perception of the FMJ doing a better job staying on target and penetrating if the bullet starts its flight by penetrating a windshield. That was until I saw the ballistic tests that showed the HST cleanly piercing a windshield while still expanding when hitting the target and having an average penetration of 12". I've also worked up some pretty nasty 10mm loads with bullets pulled from 155gr HST's. I drop 'em in a 10mm case with CCI 300 primer and 10.1gr of power pistol and they chrono out of the barrel at a hair over 1500fps. Would love to test the load in ballistic gel, but I'm pretty damn confident that this recipe can do it's job well.

GDs have a smoother recoil which is nice for quick follow up shots, especially in tight spaces. I'm not a sniper, anytime I'm shooting they come in pairs. GDs are also extremely low penetration, and expand really well.
    Ranger-T is hotter and will punch through some armor and barriers. If the first shots haven't ended a situation we are in a gun fight. In some situations I will swap these for FMJs for increased penetration.
    When just going about my day I usually only carry the 9 in the gun, with no additional mags. In my daily life their are very very very few situations that I would be willing to escalate to violence, let alone a gun fight. I'm not about to kill someone over the $25 in my wallet.

I have heard good things about the HSTs, and have a box I have been meaning to do some tissue testing with. My choice of GDs and Ranger-Ts are based off conversations with trauma surgeons, corriners, and tissue tests.

GDs have a smoother recoil which is nice for quick follow up shots, especially in tight spaces. I'm not a sniper, anytime I'm shooting they come in pairs. GDs are also extremely low penetration, and expand really well.
    Ranger-T is hotter and will punch through some armor and barriers. If the first shots haven't ended a situation we are in a gun fight. In some situations I will swap these for FMJs for increased penetration.
    When just going about my day I usually only carry the 9 in the gun, with no additional mags. In my daily life their are very very very few situations that I would be willing to escalate to violence, let alone a gun fight. I'm not about to kill someone over the $25 in my wallet.

I have heard good things about the HSTs, and have a box I have been meaning to do some tissue testing with. My choice of GDs and Ranger-Ts are based off conversations with trauma surgeons, corriners, and tissue tests.
    What exactly is it that you do?

Wow, I didn't realize some of you live in Baghdad.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    What exactly is it that you do?
    Right now I work out and ski as much as possible. In a weak I'll be running MOUT live fire training.

I switch between being a NG Bum and Ski bum.
    Last edited by XavierD; 06-10-2015 at 01:17 PM.

Right now I work out and ski as much as possible. In a weak I'll be running MOUT live fire training.

I switch between being a NG Bum and Ski bum.
    Ranger?

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Wow, I didn't realize some of you live in Baghdad.
    Baghdad is safer than Chicago, Detroit and most other big cities.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Ranger?
    No Ranger units in the Guard

the National Guard has just about every type of unit. There are multiple infantry divisions and BCTs in the guard, as well as two Special Forces groups.
    I'm Infantry.
    Last edited by XavierD; 06-10-2015 at 07:17 PM.

I'll admit, I know nothing about the Guard, I was active duty Navy for 6 years and spent time with Jarheads.

I didn't know that Guard units had doors kickers.

I don't know what XavierD does, but there are two SF groups that are National Guard.

19th Special Forces Group has a company in WA state, so it is possible.

let's play CSI/NCIS on XD then?
    can he be mil? maybe? but he's not using Ranger-T or HST at work as they contravene some conventions/treatys so that leaves LEO of some sort?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

love it glowing red and why not link the belts?
    fire

rails are for trains

www.theguideshut.ca

Jer? For real?

Just bought a PWS MK220 in .308. Pretty stoked but it's going to be a while before I pop optics on there. I put an old Leuopold 3x9 50mm on there for the time being but I'd like to put a Vortex Viper PST or maybe a NIghtforce if I could ever afford one.

I wanted to ask the collective about AR10 basics--I've heard they can be finicky in terms of cycling. I'll be hand loading for it--likely 165g Nosler since I want to keep my loads consistent with my bold rifles for economic reasons.

Any basics I should know about? I have close to zero AR experience.

Thanks
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Jer? For real?

Just bought a PWS MK220 in .308. Pretty stoked but it's going to be a while before I pop optics on there. I put an old Leuopold 3x9 50mm on there for the time being but I'd like to put a Vortex Viper PST or maybe a NIghtforce if I could ever afford one.

I wanted to ask the collective about AR10 basics--I've heard they can be finicky in terms of cycling. I'll be hand loading for it--likely 165g Nosler since I want to keep my loads consistent with my bold rifles for economic reasons.

Any basics I should know about? I have close to zero AR experience.

Thanks
    FWIW, Viper PST's are backordered until the end of August unless you can find a store with one in stock - I'm waiting on one myself, and the boys at Vortex tell me that they aren't going to have them until the end of summer. If you really want one, drop me a PM & I'll give you a heads up when they're back in stock and can get you hooked up with at a price that I'm positive you'll be very happy with. I'm going with the MOA version as the reticle is less 'busy' than the MRAD version.

I'm aware of PWS generally, but don't know all that much about them. Since you bought it as a complete gun it should be setup to run pretty well. Most cycling issues with be to being over/under gassed or having a buffer weight that is too light. More likely to be the gas than the buffer, but I'm a big fan of JP captured springs and run one in my SR-25 as well as on a few of my 5.56's. The one thing I do know about PWS is that they make a good adjustable gas block, so hopefully your upper has one. If that's the case, just dial it in for your loads and I doubt you'll even need to touch the buffer weight (unless you hate the 'sproing' and just want to quiet things down).

I've never really run into any feed/cycling issues with my .308. Just treat it like your college girlfriends and ride it hard & put it away wet. Or try running something like froglube so you don't have to deal with the mess.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    FWIW, Viper PST's are backordered until the end of August unless you can find a store with one in stock - I'm waiting on one myself, and the boys at Vortex tell me that they aren't going to have them until the end of summer. If you really want one, drop me a PM & I'll give you a heads up when they're back in stock and can get you hooked up with at a price that I'm positive you'll be very happy with. I'm going with the MOA version as the reticle is less 'busy' than the MRAD version.

I'm aware of PWS generally, but don't know all that much about them. Since you bought it as a complete gun it should be setup to run pretty well. Most cycling issues with be to being over/under gassed or having a buffer weight that is too light. More likely to be the gas than the buffer, but I'm a big fan of JP captured springs and run one in my SR-25 as well as on a few of my 5.56's. The one thing I do know about PWS is that they make a good adjustable gas block, so hopefully your upper has one. If that's the case, just dial it in for your loads and I doubt you'll even need to touch the buffer weight (unless you hate the 'sproing' and just want to quiet things down).

I've never really run into any feed/cycling issues with my .308. Just treat it like your college girlfriends and ride it hard & put it away wet. Or try running something like froglube so you don't have to deal with the mess.
    Thanks Dude. That's pretty much what I've gleaned, too. I got some lube and am going to start breaking her in this weekend.

Re: Vortex, yeah, I own a few PST's and know a few folks there, too. It's the "extra special price" but I still need to pump the brakes!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

That's a Vortex PST on the AR-10. I would go with the MRAD - a lot easier for corrections and it just makes more sense than MOA. The reticle isn't really any busier that a regular mil reticle. On the .308 I hardly ever use the dials and just rely on the reticle. My long range bolt gun I still dial for elevation most of the time but use holds for windage - wind is too dynamic to be dialing it in. A lot of the popular reticles out there are pretty ridiculous - I don't know how anybody can keep track. If you want to go a little higher end Bushnell makes really nice scopes now. I run those on my bolt rifle and my Striker. The gas gun runs fine except when I use a suppressor - then I get all sorts of feed problems. I have a JP adjustable gas block to - I've fucked with it for years and could never get it to run right for any length of time so I almost always just run it without the can and everything's cool Daddy-O.

Colt Defense files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection. Not much info yet.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...r-11/71228058/
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

. Here's some ultra-rare footage of it running good with the can. My cell mate shot this while we were in the prison yard a few months ago.

You... live?

Jer!!!!
    watch out for snakes

I'm planning on buying a suppressor for my .300 win mag. I'd like to also be able to run it on a .300 blk ar pistol and a 6.5mm bolt gun at some point as well.

Any thoughts on brands/models to look at? Titanium? Steel? Quick detach seems like a nice thing to have. I've only shot suppressed pistols so not sure what to look for in a rifle can. Does the SIG marketing guy who posts in here want to get me a deal on a SIG can? I promise to hype it to the maggots and my wholesale customers.