Page 148 of 435 FirstFirst ... 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 ... LastLast
Results 3,676 to 3,700 of 10853

Thread: GUNS!!!!!!!!

So while not a gun specific question, I see a lot of obviously knowledgeable people frequenting this thread.

I would like to pick up a subscription to a hunting magazine, or find a sweet blog with an Elk focus as a way to increase my knowledge and exposure to the field.

Could anyone make a suggestion here? Looking for a magazine or blog which is akin to Alpinist as opposed to Freeskier. Not really interested in the gear and adds, want the stories and knowledge.

Thanks!

Join the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and subscribe to their magazine, The Bugle. It should have what you want.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

If I see 1 more jacked up 12mpg tops truck with Elky Mountain Rock Foundation plates, I might scream. Been noticing that a lot lately. Wanna do something for Elk and open space? Could you try for 20mpg? As our martyr would have said: Hypocrates
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

As our martyr would have said: Hypocrates
    But he probably would have spelled it right.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

If I see 1 more jacked up 12mpg tops truck with Elky Mountain Rock Foundation plates, I might scream. Been noticing that a lot lately. Wanna do something for Elk and open space? Could you try for 20mpg? As our martyr would have said: Hypocrates
    You really bring a lot of unstoke into a stoke thread.

If you're going to be such a consistent little pussy, maybe you should move the fuck out of Montana. Seattle beckons....
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    But he probably would have spelled it right.

Pretty sure he couldn't spell his own name right
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    If you're going to be such a consistent little pussy, maybe you should move the fuck out of Montana. Seattle beckons....
    Pussies need to carry to feel safe in the burbs.

Every time I've tried to be stoked on guns it's turned into a frustrating and expensive experience, no thanks to you hoarding assholes.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Missoula might as well be Seattle now. Sure as fuck not much like MT anymore.

Seattle doesn't need any more passive aggressive pussies.

GUNS!!!!!!!!

Stuckatbrokebackmtn - when have you ever NOT had a frustrating experience? You try "Spatulizing" some Pow+'s by piling your stereo on top of them, you fuck up your ski boots by attempting to "Vibramize" 1" of the toes, you attempt to put your cassette on upside-down on your bike and then you have to hike 12 miles back to the trailhead because you broke your chain and you're too fuckin' dumb to have a chain breaker on you. Then there's the confusion over the price of a single 2x4. Maybe you're frustrated because you are a Full Retard? Just a thought.
    Last edited by Jer; 07-13-2015 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Stuckatbrokebackmtn - when have to ever NOT had a frustrating experience? You try "Spatulizing" some Pow+'s by piling your stereo on top of them, you fuck up your ski boots by attempting to "Vibramize" 1" of the toes, you attempt to put your cassette on upside-down on your bike and then you have to hike 12 miles back to the trailhead because you broke your chain and you're to fuckin' dumb to have a chain breaker on you. Then there's the confusion over the price of a single 2x4. Maybe you're frustrated because you are a Full Retard? Just a thought.
    The correct term is developmentally disabled. Please show some sensitivity.

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Holy shit.....Jer is still around? Who knew? Jer come on man, bring on the funnez. Maybe another episode of PMS Gear?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Jer is still around, and still has the same jokes from 8 years ago.
    No longer stuck.

jgb@etree Guest
    So I've spent the past 2.5 days of work searching for a good ballistic calculator that is easy to use. I've been using PointBlank for years, but have gotten tired of the lack of custom reporting options and having to do some manual calculations to convert MOA to 1/2 & 1/4 clicks at various distances.

It seems like there are a bunch of iOS and Android apps, but I'm still living in the past and have a blackberry. There are a couple of basic apps for BB that are convenient in the field, but I was looking for something a bit more powerful. It seems like most of the windows based software is older and lacking in features. I finally gave up (FWIW, the only windows program I found that even compared w/ PointBlank was BallisticExplorer v6) and was cranking up Excel and PointBlank when I went to the Vortex site to grab the manual for my reticle and the PDF made mention of Vortex's 'LRBC' on their website. Holy shit, it does everything I want - very, very easily. Hell, it'll even setup and format dope cards for printing so I don't even have to transfer the data into excel! And then the kicker - I can access and use the web based app from my Blackberry!

I created a login so I can save cartridge profiles, etc and it really seems to work well. YMMV.

Web: http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/lrbc
    Mobile: http://apps.sw-network.com/lrbc/

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    So I've spent the past 2.5 days of work searching for a good ballistic calculator that is easy to use. I've been using PointBlank for years, but have gotten tired of the lack of custom reporting options and having to do some manual calculations to convert MOA to 1/2 & 1/4 clicks at various distances.

It seems like there are a bunch of iOS and Android apps, but I'm still living in the past and have a blackberry. There are a couple of basic apps for BB that are convenient in the field, but I was looking for something a bit more powerful. It seems like most of the windows based software is older and lacking in features. I finally gave up (FWIW, the only windows program I found that even compared w/ PointBlank was BallisticExplorer v6) and was cranking up Excel and PointBlank when I went to the Vortex site to grab the manual for my reticle and the PDF made mention of Vortex's 'LRBC' on their website. Holy shit, it does everything I want - very, very easily. Hell, it'll even setup and format dope cards for printing so I don't even have to transfer the data into excel! And then the kicker - I can access and use the web based app from my Blackberry!

I created a login so I can save cartridge profiles, etc and it really seems to work well. YMMV.

Web: http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/lrbc
    Mobile: http://apps.sw-network.com/lrbc/
    I've been using Strelock on my Android and really like it.

jgb@etree Guest
    Just fired up an android virtual machine & downloaded it. Very nice. I think the vortex webapp is a little more powerful & has much more customizable output, but I wouldn't mind having strelok available out in the field. I might have to track down an old android phone to clean up, install strelok & have a poor man's kestrel.

Edit: Any idea how to pull up a graph of the bullet flight relative to zero? I can visualize it from the table data, but like to be able to see it too.

Recommend me a shotgun:

Looking for something for upland birdhunting here in the colorado mountains.

Was dead set on a remington 870, but have other told me that semi is the way to go.

Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    Recommend me a shotgun:

Looking for something for upland birdhunting here in the colorado mountains.

Was dead set on a remington 870, but have other told me that semi is the way to go.

Any advice?
    Whatever fits your frame and lets you gert a good sight picture. I shot my father's 870 growing up and it never fit me well so I shot poorly. I was goignt o get one anyway and mod the stock, but the finish on the receivers has goen downhill to keep the pricepoint IMHO.

I bought a Winchester SXP, much better fit for me and slightly nicer, but still a cheap gun. First time out of the box hit something like 22/25 clays, but then broke the pump later in the day. Replaced by Kittery Trading Post the next day, new gun has been fine so far.

Take a look a the Browning BPS model. Solid looking gun, and some stores (gander MTN and Bass pro) used to have engraved models for the same price as standard. Very sharp looking, I probably should have bought one.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

School me on gun "building"

Is it as simple as get an action, barrel and stock and mate them together with a little gunsmithing?

Realistically is this possible with some simple tools and a little help from a pro? I'm fairly handy and definitely have mechanical aptitude.
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

Don't buy a new 870 they are crap.

Browning BPS is nice, old Remington 870s are great. I have an 870 from the 80s and it is great. Some of my friends have new 870s and the finish and workmanship is poor. One of the 870s had an out of spec chamber and wouldn't reliably eject shells.

I bought a new 870 earlier this year and have had no problems with it at all.

I will agree with the above posters though, it seems that the finish and materials are not nearly as nice as they used to be. That being said, I bought it as a beater gun, and at that price point, that is pretty much what you are going to get.

I haven't had any issues with feed/ejection or accuracy, but it could be a gamble based on what others have said.
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

Quote Originally Posted by idiot View Post
    I will agree with the above posters though, it seems that the finish and materials are not nearly as nice as they used to be. That being said, I bought it as a beater gun, and at that price point, that is pretty much what you are going to get.
    I think the key here is a lot of mfg are going to a "matte" finish as it is easier to finish the receiver in a giant tumbler or blaster as oppowed to polishing and blueing int he traditional manner.

Some companies have this process a little more refined, resulting in a finer look/feel.

The Shooter app is surprisingly accurate once you true for muzzle velocity. I honestly wouldn't expect any more accuracy from a ballistic app.

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    I think the key here is a lot of mfg are going to a "matte" finish as it is easier to finish the receiver in a giant tumbler or blaster as oppowed to polishing and blueing int he traditional manner.

Some companies have this process a little more refined, resulting in a finer look/feel.
    Do some companies offer this at the same price point? I know mossberg has a comparable model, but that gets in to the brand selection at the same price, offering the same basic product.

No dog in this fight. I will shoot mine until it fails to. At that point I will just buy another shotgun. That could be an 870 or any other make model.
    whatever I feel like i what to do!