Page 300 of 435 FirstFirst ... 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 ... LastLast
Results 7,476 to 7,500 of 10853

Thread: GUNS!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Whoa, so Russian operatives were using the NRA as a money laundering front to assist Russian backed freedom fighters against the existing U.S. government which led to an indictment!

Who's in charge of the NRA, is it still Wayne LaPierre are some other guy?

The government is making it easier for “dark money” donors to go unnamed

The IRS will no longer ask the NRA and other nonprofit groups to disclose donors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Alright Mags; looking a purchasing some handguns for my wife and I. These will be primarily used for protection both in the home and outside while backpacking/camping.
    I grew up in a home without firearms however lived in a farming town and fired plenty. Additionally, I’m an Eagle Scout and took fun safety courses through BSA.
    Question 1 is — what guns should we get. I’ve fired 1911s and glocks. Really don’t have a preference. I like how simple glocks are to clean and take apart but not sure it’s the right choice. For the wife I think something that has minimal recoil and is easy to maintain. However for myself I would like it to have enough power to take down larger game if need be. We are located in Spokane and backpack a decent bit in Grizzly country further east.
    Question #2 — any recommendations for hand gun safety courses in Spokane/CDA?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Alright Mags; looking a purchasing some handguns for my wife and I. These will be primarily used for protection both in the home and outside while backpacking/camping.
    I grew up in a home without firearms however lived in a farming town and fired plenty. Additionally, I’m an Eagle Scout and took fun safety courses through BSA.
    Question 1 is — what guns should we get. I’ve fired 1911s and glocks. Really don’t have a preference. I like how simple glocks are to clean and take apart but not sure it’s the right choice. For the wife I think something that has minimal recoil and is easy to maintain. However for myself I would like it to have enough power to take down larger game if need be. We are located in Spokane and backpack a decent bit in Grizzly country further east.

Pretty much same situation with my wife and I.

I love 1911's so I'm a little biased.

I have a ruger 1911 with the 5" barrel.
    If you want a shorter barrel then get a colt or sig.

Wife loves her sig p238!
    https://www.sigsauer.com/products/fi.../pistols/p238/

Bear spray and common sense, not guns, for grizzlies.

For a handgun for self defense, it depends on preference between a modern pistol like a Glock or Springfield, or a revolver, depending on what you and your wife like to shoot and how much training you're willing to put in. These days 9mm is tough to beat in terms of cost and effectiveness.

1911s have their fans, and are beautiful, but relative to more modern designs are less reliable and take much more practice.

Let your wife shoot a variety of guns, preferably at a range with a large selection and good instruction, and figure what she likes. My other half actually prefers .45.

Outdoors: 1st Bear Spray
    Black bear: Glock 10mm
    Brown Bear: 44mag or 454 casull

Indoors: Glock 10mm or Glock 19

................... Additionally, I’m an Eagle Scout and took fun safety courses through BSA.

I only got to Life but I took some fun safety courses too. Gotta love scouting.

Try the internet ?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

A revolver option to consider would be something in a .357 mag. This provides strong stopping power when firing .357, but it will also shoot .38 special, and that round has a much softer recoil. Look for something with a 4-6" barrel, which will give you better accuracy as range increases.

I was gonna recommend the CZ P0-1 since you mentioned an easy to disassemble gun (semi auto), but that only shoots 9mm, and that's not a game round. The CZ was in turn recommended to me in this very thread ten years ago by Coreshot Tourettes (something like tht).
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post

I was gonna recommend the CZ P0-1 since you mentioned an easy to disassemble gun (semi auto), but that only shoots 9mm, and that's not a game round. ...
    I would strongly encourage him to get some experience taking game with a rifle before worrying about handgun hunting. In short, don't worry about using the current handguns on game right now at all. If he gets to where he really wants to hunt something larger than rabbits with a handgun, it's sort of a specialized niche, though hunting-wise the money could be better spent at that point on a bow or on a muzzleloader.

For terminal effect, 9mm and .45 are kind of toss-ups these days, though they both suck relative to an AR. I realize I didn't mention considering a carbine for home defense, but it's worth taking a good look at.

Thanks for all the replies this really helped narrow my internet search!

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofSeasonsPast View Post
    Bear spray and common sense, not guns, for grizzlies.

Let your wife shoot a variety of guns, preferably at a range with a large selection and good instruction, and figure what she likes. My other half actually prefers .45.
    Couldn't agree more here.. will continue to carry bear spray!

Additionally good recs just wanted to get a feeling for what people are carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by splittin View Post
    Outdoors: 1st Bear Spray
    Black bear: Glock 10mm
    Brown Bear: 44mag or 454 casull

Indoors: Glock 10mm or Glock 19
    I like the break down here. Feel like a Glock 10mm and a 44mag will give me a good range of protection.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    fun safety courses too
    oops "GUN" haha damn auto correct.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofSeasonsPast View Post
    I would strongly encourage him to get some experience taking game with a rifle before worrying about handgun hunting.
    HANDGUN HUNTING? No desire to hunt anything just want to keep my ass safe haha. I've run into quite a few weirdos while hiking -- cheap security really.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecked View Post
    Pretty much same situation with my wife and I.

Wife loves her sig p238!
    Showed the spousal unit... she loved it. Haha time to go to the range with her.

ATF Form 1 approved yesterday. Now I wait for the stamp. Still waiting on a couple Form 4s to clear.

Anyone have a recommendation for an engraver in Jackson/East Idaho?

Try the gun tech talk thread.

This is cute - this thread is pretty awesome once a few people are on ignore. I'll take the free bumps.

You'll shoot your eye out.

As for the wife unit, I picked out a couple of guns I thought my daughter could handle. One was the new HK VP9 SK. Turns out the slide release has a much smaller tab, and although it fit her well, she could not operate the slide release. She then picked up a P30 SK, and cold operate it just fine. We ended up settling on a S&W airweight +P .38.

I might suggest a S&W Model 60 revolver for the wife, or something similar. Stupid simple. It is a .357 mag, but can handle the .38 loads. Then get something for yourself she can handle, i.e. a 9mm. If she shows interest, work your way up. If she wants to do this, it will be a piece of cake. If it is something you want for her, go for stupid simple.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

I prefer unregistered Saturday Night Special throwaways.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    As for the wife unit, I picked out a couple of guns I thought my daughter could handle. One was the new HK VP9 SK. Turns out the slide release has a much smaller tab, and although it fit her well, she could not operate the slide release. She then picked up a P30 SK, and cold operate it just fine. We ended up settling on a S&W airweight +P .38.

I might suggest a S&W Model 60 revolver for the wife, or something similar. Stupid simple. It is a .357 mag, but can handle the .38 loads. Then get something for yourself she can handle, i.e. a 9mm. If she shows interest, work your way up. If she wants to do this, it will be a piece of cake. If it is something you want for her, go for stupid simple.
    Alongside the hardware / gun choice element, I'd also suggest considering pursuing defensive shooting fundamentals, e.g. https://www.personaldefensenetwork.c...-fundamentals/ . Long story short, we function differently when loaded with adrenalin in a high-pressure situation. Except for people with ice in their veins, Weaver or modified Weaver (often taught), or worrying too much about the front sight, aren't really great to try to drill too much with handgun.

Just picked up 2 new handguns for the safe

Rock Island 5'' 1911 in 10mm double stack. 16 + 1 of the best cm. For about 550 with fiber optic front and adjustable rear sight and a pretty decent trigger I am excited to get to the range
    Also snagged a Sig p320 carry with the 'dealer' exclusive two tone and Romeo 1 red dot on it. Always have been interested in having a rds on a pistol and now I do.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Agree with "stupid simple" for your spousal unit. Keep it as simple as possible. If there is more than one step to have to remember, your wife's brain has already shut off. Pick it up, point it, pull the trigger. Revolvers fit that bill very well. They are uncomplicated and reliable. They don't jam. You don't have to remember where the safety is, or have the strength to rack the slide. (Don't laugh, my wife cannot chamber a round into my PPK which is a small 380). Look at hammerless revolvers - Ruger LCR is the best IMO.

Where do you guys live,? South side of Chicago? ELA Barrio? Meth Central? Harper Valley? God I would hate to live my life in fear as you need to. How do you not go nutz? Ooops, answered my own question.

Not afraid. Prepared. And not just firearms.

Bought a class A fire extinguisher. Great to practice with and can be recharged at home.

Better to have and not need it than need and not have.

911 is a long way away.

Stupid argument is a stupid argument. Prepared to shoot someone is not prepared. Plenty of people live a long way from whatever and aren't scared about the least likely eventuality, unlike the gun people. Your fire extinguisher is not more likely to be used to ignite your house than it is to be used to put out a fire--unlike your gun, which is far more likely to be used against you than it ever is to be used against a criminal. Emotional decisions made without regard for what is actually likely aren't good decisions, but that's what the firearms industry relies on.
    [quote][//quote]

The increased emotional response is what you typed. The whole arguement of criminals using an owners firearm against them is a Bloomberg Giffords Moms Against Guns Soros talking point that isn't backed by fact. I'm sure you'll copy and paste something from one of their websites stating otherwise. But they don't report fact. They use emotion and partial truths to convince pussy hat wearing rubes into believing what they want them to believe.

Just like their alleged statistics in which they include any shooting within sight of a school is a 'school shooting'.

No one is forcing anyone to take responsibility for their own safety. If you don't want to own or carry a firearm you're free not to. That's one of the benefits of living in the USA. A certain level of freedom.

ggracist swallows ghast