Page 134 of 435 FirstFirst ... 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 ... LastLast
Results 3,326 to 3,350 of 10853

Thread: GUNS!!!!!!!!

So my beloved sig 556, which has consistently held 3" groups at 200 yards for years, has now started keyholing, with the same ammo I have always found reliably accurate, fiocci 55gr fmj. Gave it a thorough cleaning and no improvement.

Thoughts? I'm pretty pissed. Really hoping the problem is solvable.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Check the head space? Maybe time for nu barrel.
    watch out for snakes

I've got a 556 and two 551's not 551-a1's.

I would say you need a new barrel, having worn down the bore the bullet is rattling down the barrel and tumbling. Replacing the barrel on a 556 won't take an act of god but it's going to be a complete pain and take the best vice you can find mounted to the best bench you can find.

I'm assuming you have an american barrel, the Swiss barrels are really nice and cheap but -551, 550 barrels will not work as they have metric threads.

You could have some bad ammo, I had a box marked Remington 30-06 that was actually 25-06 once that would keyhole.

Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post
    I've got a 556 and two 551's not 551-a1's.

I would say you need a new barrel, having worn down the bore the bullet is rattling down the barrel and tumbling. Replacing the barrel on a 556 won't take an act of god but it's going to be a complete pain and take the best vice you can find mounted to the best bench you can find.

I'm assuming you have an american barrel, the Swiss barrels are really nice and cheap but -551, 550 barrels will not work as they have metric threads.

You could have some bad ammo, I had a box marked Remington 30-06 that was actually 25-06 once that would keyhole.

I have an early production model, I think 5600 is about the serial number although I don't have it in front of me. It has a slightly different colored bolt and bolt carrier, as well as some markings on the gas block which I have read in a few different places, albeit all on the internet, that means my rifle has a swiss bolt, bolt carrier, gas block, and barrel.

On the one hand that just makes this all the more sad, but on the other hand based on what you're saying I might be able to put another swiss barrel on it which would be cool.

It does make it hard to believe I've already shot the barrel out, shouldn't that take something like 10k rounds with the nitride hardened swiss barrels?

I'll get the headspace checked. I cleaned the bore and chamber well and carefully but did not clean the bolt face or whatever the metal outside the chamber that the bolt face shoves up against when the bolt closes. I guess I'll try a few different kinds of ammo although I have checked the boxes and tried several different lot numbers for the fiocci ammo I have.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    So my beloved sig 556, which has consistently held 3" groups at 200 yards for years, has now started keyholing, with the same ammo I have always found reliably accurate, fiocci 55gr fmj. Gave it a thorough cleaning and no improvement.

Thoughts? I'm pretty pissed. Really hoping the problem is solvable.
    You should call SIG customer service. They are awesome with this kind of thing.

(603) 610-3000 (press #3, then #1 for Customer Service)
    People shooting ski areas should be sued.

^^^^ This
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

^^^ agreed, call them. I don't think you shot out the barrel under 10k rounds unless it was full auto and glowing hot or the worst corrosive ammo ever made.

If the top of the receiver is not railed and has the swiss mark (plus on a shield) on it you should have a swiss/metric thread. If it's railed and has no shield it should be american.

Call sig.

Bump, because...

jgb@etree Guest
    Anyone have a Ruger LC9 (or LC380 - I believe they are the same design, just different calibers)? Picked one up from a friend last night & I think I may have discovered the world's worst stock trigger - pull is gritty and long as hell. Going to get into the guts of it to try to clean things up & pull out the mag disconnect safety tonight but wanted to see if anyone here has had any success with trigger work or any of the aftermarket trigger parts. Galloway does a trigger kit for it that is supposed to clean things up and reduce the trigger pull by 35%. I get the idea of a pocket gun needing a long trigger pull for 'safety' just this is just absurd.

These aftermarket pocket clips are pretty cool too. Replaces the hammer pin and allows you to clip it on your belt/pocket like a knife.

Figure that'll be convenient when running errands in the summer time. My only real concern with it is that it doesn't protect the mag release, and it would really suck to have to draw and you end up watching the mag fall & hit the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Anyone have a Ruger LC9 (or LC380 - I believe they are the same design, just different calibers)? Picked one up from a friend last night & I think I may have discovered the world's worst stock trigger - pull is gritty and long as hell. Going to get into the guts of it to try to clean things up & pull out the mag disconnect safety tonight but wanted to see if anyone here has had any success with trigger work or any of the aftermarket trigger parts. Galloway does a trigger kit for it that is supposed to clean things up and reduce the trigger pull by 35%. I get the idea of a pocket gun needing a long trigger pull for 'safety' just this is just absurd.

These aftermarket pocket clips are pretty cool too. Replaces the hammer pin and allows you to clip it on your belt/pocket like a knife.

Figure that'll be convenient when running errands in the summer time. My only real concern with it is that it doesn't protect the mag release, and it would really suck to have to draw and you end up watching the mag fall & hit the ground.
    The new LC9S fixes the trigger problem... but that probably won't help you. I think some trigger work can be done, but I don't think you'll ever get close to a nice glock or 1911 trigger. It is a nice little gun though for throwing on when you've gotta run to the corner store. We build alot of IWB holster for them.

Have you checked out the Glock 42? I was pretty skeptical of it, but I just recently shot one and was blown away by how good of a shooter it was. Very acurate, nice trigger pull (for a Glock) and very very low recoil. Like .22lr level of recoil.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    The new LC9S fixes the trigger problem... but that probably won't help you. I think some trigger work can be done, but I don't think you'll ever get close to a nice glock or 1911 trigger. It is a nice little gun though for throwing on when you've gotta run to the corner store. We build alot of IWB holster for them.

Have you checked out the Glock 42? I was pretty skeptical of it, but I just recently shot one and was blown away by how good of a shooter it was. Very acurate, nice trigger pull (for a Glock) and very very low recoil. Like .22lr level of recoil.
    Funny, after I got home with the LC9 and was doing some homework, I read about the striker fired LC9s version and the trigger improvements. And apparently even more recently, Ruger has released a LC9s 'Pro' version that takes all of the improvements incorporated into the LC9s, as well as input from customers. The LC9s Pro adds a 'glock style' blade trigger safety, while deleting the external thumb safety and the mag disconnect safety. Seems like it checks off all the boxes for a decent mouse gun.

Never seen/handled the G42 but I'm not really a fan of Glocks and I'd probably feel more comfortable carrying a 6" fixed blade than something chambered in .380

WTF, it should at least shoot pyro.

watch out for snakes

I've been taking product photos for the company I work for, and thought this photo of a co-worker and my glocks turned out pretty sweet. Thought I'd share. Offer still stands for any maggots who want a holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Archer View Post
    I've been hearing good things about the Howa/Weatherby Vanguard .223s or .308s and have been considering picking one up, probably with a mag conversion. Might be a good candidate for the coyote gun question earlier too. Anybody got one?
    I have a Weatherby stainless Vanguard in .243 that is great for mule deer. I quit carrying my 30-06 unless I am also looking for elk. Very nice gun, I like it.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Some knucklehead lost a glock handgun in the pow between Neversummer and Panorama at Monarch a couple weeks ago. Reported it to patrol.

Finders keepers?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Well, I'm glad stuckatbrokebackmtn's tenure with firearms was brief and now over. Worst thing that can happen trying to spatulize a pair of Pow+'s is you fuck up a pair or old skis.

Probably was PPG's, except he is too much of a pussy to admit he no longer has a piece.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    The SIG716 G2 DMR with SRD762 Ti Silencer. In testing mode at the SIG SAUER Academy. Here's the vid:
    Now that the cat is officially out of the bag (by way of announcement @ SHOT) are you able to share pics of the p220's in 10mm? I've seen pics of the 'hunt ready' model, but am most interested in the Match Elite Reverse Two-Tone. Do want.

^I've come to the conclusion anything sig makes in the "super target" handgun label is awesome.

Just ordered a pair of Timneys--one for the M77 22-250 and one for the Tikka 300WM. Stoked.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Just ordered a pair of Timneys--one for the M77 22-250 and one for the Tikka 300WM. Stoked.
    You'll probably love them. I've got 3 different AR platform drop in triggers (Timney, Geissele & Black Rain Ordinance) and the Timney is clearly the best of the group. No creep, no overtravel, no takeup. Just a nice clean & consistent break every time.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    You'll probably love them. I've got 3 different AR platform drop in triggers (Timney, Geissele & Black Rain Ordinance) and the Timney is clearly the best of the group. No creep, no overtravel, no takeup. Just a nice clean & consistent break every time.
    The Ruger has the most horrendous stock trigger I've ever encountered, so it'll definitely be an upgrade. The T3 actually has a nice trigger once it was lightened up, so that'll be the real test for me.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

New Kydex creation we've been working on... hopefully you guys will be stoked.

^^^^Do you carry when you're skiing at the lifts and in the bc?