Page 394 of 435 FirstFirst ... 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 ... LastLast
Results 9,826 to 9,850 of 10853

Thread: GUNS!!!!!!!!

There were more sportsmen and fewer dick wavers in that thread too.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Attachment 371196

.40 s&w. $369.00 back a whole two years ago when they were basically giving police trade ins away. No frame wear and smooth like a Cadillac.
    That is a screaming deal on a great pistol you lucky fuck. Looks basically brand new, not even really any wear on the decocker let alone holster wear.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

That would that fetch $1k on the street I'll bet just for the cred. Good investment.

Pistol braces are an easy give away. Like bump stocks imo. If you want a SBR do a form 1 and pay the 200. Not a big deal.

That's what I am doing with my 300blk.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Too bad you weren’t at the Rainbow Lodge during the Big Sky All-Maggot ShootFest, which was just a short ways away. The muzzle blast from MiCol’s short barrel 338 Win Mag would have knocked you out of bed.
    I think I've had dinner there. Rainbow Ranch and Lodge the same place?
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Frack. Anyone want to donate a few mags for this bitch?
    $299/mag seems a bit steep.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/897538282
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Start a go fund me if it makes you wet your pants a little.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Start a go fund me if it makes you wet your pants a little.
    Done, will you please donate?

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-ken-...f+share-flow-1
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Yeah, to a homeless vet. Not to rich kids for more toys. Gun thread started by a gun tech is in tech talk.

The Beg-A-Buck site whacked my request for funding my magazine purchase. Bummer. Going to repost and call them specialized storage containers.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Frack. Anyone want to donate a few mags for this bitch?
    $299/mag seems a bit steep.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/897538282

Gotta pay the coss to be the HK larp boss.
    If you can't afford the 20-rounders, you might have to settle for 10s.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Gotta pay the coss to be the HK larp boss.
    If you can't afford the 20-rounders, you might have to settle for 10s.
    PIcked up a couple on gunchoker last night for a buck thirty. I now have three for it, and 6 for the PSA 7.62.

Ended up with a bunch of .40 Compact mags. Will try to do some trading and keep scrounging.

I bought a new weapon light.
    And a used 10mm to mount it on. Stand by for range report.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	798.6 KB 
ID:	371572

I had a 1006, ran full house hand loads stuffed with Blue Dot. It would blast off these huge balls of flame, real hollywood stuff. It was a big hit during evening shoots.

Sold my 300blk pistol and bought a SBR.

It'll be fun to shoot in September.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I had a 1006, ran full house hand loads stuffed with Blue Dot. It would blast off these huge balls of flame, real hollywood stuff. It was a big hit during evening shoots.
    Need to get my 1076 out and shoot it. Oh snap, that's about $3.00 per round in today's market.

I love 3rd gen Smiths. It takes a lot of my willpower to keep from blowing a lot of $$$ collecting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    I bought a new weapon light.
    And a used 10mm to mount it on. Stand by for range report.

Name:	20.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	798.6 KB 
ID:	371572
    Just picked up the same gun yesterday. We'll see if I can find any rounds less than $2 per and I may get to shoot it.

I wasn't really in the market for the pistol but it was one of those deals that was too good to pass up.
    Lady in Thayne was selling her dead husband's stuff. The light was new in box for $150. She didn't know much about guns or why someone would want a used one, so the Glock 20 was $400 with a couple kydex holsters. She wasn't sure if he shot it or not, but bought it new about a month before he passed. It doesn't look like he shot it.
    She also sold me 500 rounds of new ammo that worked out to .10/round.

Name:	10mm.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	635.1 KB 
ID:	371647

Save that brass. You might not reload or want to run reloads in a glock, but you can sure sell it.

So $600 for all of that? I hope you gave her a slap and a tickle on the way out too. RIP to the deceased.

I went with a friend who rents his welding shop space from her and he picked up two o/u shotties that was basically a two-fer at $400. One is Beretta White Wing that I don't think was ever fired.
    She also has a Ruger M77 .30-06 that if her neighbor doesn't want, is mine for $500. The scope on it is a vortex worth a lot more than that.
    We trailered an old washer and dryer to transfer station for her, so I don't feel too guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    I wasn't really in the market for the pistol but it was one of those deals that was too good to pass up.
    Lady in Thayne was selling her dead husband's stuff. The light was new in box for $150. She didn't know much about guns or why someone would want a used one, so the Glock 20 was $400 with a couple kydex holsters. She wasn't sure if he shot it or not, but bought it new about a month before he passed. It doesn't look like he shot it.
    She also sold me 500 rounds of new ammo that worked out to .10/round.

Name:	10mm.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	635.1 KB 
ID:	371647
    LMK if you want to sell a holster or some rounds.

Plumbob Pascal-B

Operation: Plumbob

Test: Pascal-B
    Time: 22:35:00.00 27 August 1957 (GMT)
    Test Height and Type: -500 feet, open shaft
    Yield: Often listed as "slight", actual yield 300 tons (predicted 1-2 lb)
    Device Description: 64.6 lb; 11.75x15 inches; plutonium pit; PBX 9401 and 9404 explosives

Pascal-B is an interesting footnote to the history of nuclear testing, and surprisingly - spaceflight.

The Pascal-B (originally named Galileo-B) was a near duplicate of the Pascal-A shot. It was another one-point criticality safety test, of the same basic primary stage design. Like Pascal-A it was fired in an open (unstemmed) shaft. One significant difference was that it had a concrete plug, similar to the concrete collimator used in Pacscal-A, but this time it was placed just above the device at the bottom of the shaft.

The close proximity of this plug to the bomb had an unanticipated side effect.

The Thunderwell Story

The February/March 1992 issue of Air & Space magazine, published by the Smithsonian, contained an article about nuclear rocket propulsion:

Overachiever
    "Every kid who has put a firecracker under a tin can understands the principle of using high explosives to loft an object into space. What was novel to scientists at Los Alamos [the atomic laboratory in New Mexico] was the idea of using an atomic bomb as propellant. That strategy was the serendipitous result of an experiment that had gone somewhat awry.

"Project Thunderwell was the inspiration of astrophysicist Bob Brownlee, who in the summer of 1957 was faced with the problem of containing underground an explosion, expected to be equivalent to a few hundred tons of dynamite. Brownlee put the bomb at the bottom of a 500-foot vertical tunnel in the Nevada desert, sealing the opening with a four-inch thick steel plate weighing several hundred pounds. He knew the lid would be blown off; he didn't know exactly how fast. High-speed cameras caught the giant manhole cover as it began its unscheduled flight into history. Based upon his calculations and the evidence from the cameras, Brownlee estimated that the steel plate was traveling at a velocity six times that needed to escape Earth's gravity when it soared into the flawless blue Nevada sky. 'We never found it. It was gone,' Brownlee says, a touch of awe in his voice almost 35 years later.
    "The following October the Soviet Union launched Sputnik, billed as the first man-made object in Earth orbit. Brownlee has never publicly challenged the Soviet's claim. But he has his doubts."

Although the shaft test goes unnamed in the article, only two shaft shots were fired before Sputnik was launched on 4 October 1957 - Pascal-A and Pascal-B. The nighttime Pascal-A shot could not have been the shot involved, since notably absent from the accounts of Pascal-A are the dazzlingly brilliant fireball streaking into the heavens that such an object would produce. Also Pascal-B was the only one of the two that was fired in summer as the article describes. This conclusion was confirmed to this author by Dr. Robert Brownlee, who has written expressly for this website his own account of this event.

Objects can only be propelled to very high velocities by a nuclear explosion if they are located close to the burst point. Once a nuclear fireball has grown to a radius that is similar in size to the radius of a quantity of high explosive of similar yield, its energy density is about the same and very high velocities would not be produced. This radius for a 300 ton explosion is 3.5 meters.

The steel plate at the top of the shaft was over 150 m from the nuclear device, much too far for it to be propelled to extreme velocity directly by the explosion. The feature of Pascal-B that made this possible was the placement of the collimator close to the device. The mass of the collimator cylinder was at least 2 tonnes (if solid) and would have been vaporized by the explosion, turning it into a mass of superheated gas that expanded and accelerated up the shaft, turning it into a giant gun. It was the hypersonic expanding column of vaporized concrete striking the cover plate that propelled it off the shaft at high velocity.

To illustrate the physics, and estimate how fast it might have been going, consider that if the collimator absorbed a substantial part of the explosion energy (say a third of it, or 100 tons) it would have been heated to temperatures far higher than any conventional explosive (by a factor of 50 with the previous assumption).

The maximum velocity achieved by an expanding gas is determined by the equation:

u = 2c/(gamma - 1)

where u is the final velocity, c is the speed of sound in the gas, and gamma is the specific heat ratio of the gas. If we further assume that the thermodynamic properties of vaporized concrete are similar to the hot combustion gases of high explosives, then the speed of sound in the vaporized collimator would be about 7 km/sec (the square root of 50 times the value of c for an explosive combustion gases, which is 1 km/sec). For molecular gases gamma is usually in the range of 1.1 to 1.5, for explosives it is 1.25. Thus we get:

u = 2*7 km/sec / (1.25 - 1) = 56 km/sec

This is about five times Earth's 11.2 km/sec escape velocity, quite close to the figure of six times arrived at by Dr. Brownlee in his detailed computations.

But the assumption that it might have escaped from Earth is implausible (Dr. Brownlee's discretion in making a priority claim is well advised). Leaving aside whether such an extremely hypersonic unaerodynamic object could even survive passage through the lower atmosphere, it appears impossible for it to retain much of its initial velocity while passing through the atmosphere. A ground launched hypersonic projectile has the same problem with maintaining its velocity that an incoming meteor has. According to the American Meteor Society Fireball and Meteor FAQ meteors weighing less than 8 tonnes retain none of their cosmic velocity when passing through the atmosphere, they simply end up as a falling rock. Only objects weighing many times this mass retain a significant fraction of their velocity.

The fact that the projectile was not found of course is no proof of a successful space launch. The cylinder and cover plate of Pascal-A was also not found, even though no hypersonic projectile was involved. Even speeds typical of ordinary artillery shells can send an object many kilometers, beyond the area of any reasonable search effort.

Also, apparently the project name "Thunderwell" refers to a proposed project that was never carried out. Carl Feynman, by email, related the following account:

In the mid-80s I heard of a "Project Thunderwell" from someone who had been employed at Livermore. In about 1991, I asked Dr. Lowell Wood about it, who was (and presumably still is) a prominent weapon physicist at Livermore. He told me that it was a project, never actually constructed, to launch a spacecraft on a column of nuclear-heated steam. The idea was that a deep shaft would be dug in the earth and filled with water. A spacecraft would be placed atop this shaft, and a nuclear explosive would be detonated at the bottom.

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/Plumbob.html#PascalB

56 km/sec = 183727.04fps
    1-ton steel plate = 14000000grains

Kinetic energy = half the mass of an object times the square of its velocity = (V2 x M)/450,240 [velocity in fps, weight in grains] =

1,049,253,538,352 ft-lbs muzzle energy

Its hard buying stuff you cant have for 5-6 months.

Trash Panda on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Its hard buying stuff you cant have for 5-6 months.

Trash Panda on the way.
    Why don't you start a little side business and get your FFL that way you don't ever have to wait?