Page 363 of 435 FirstFirst ... 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 ... LastLast
Results 9,051 to 9,075 of 10853

Thread: GUNS!!!!!!!!

You can just about kill a deer with strong language. I won't use a .22lr on deer, but it's been years since I've used anything but a .223

Let's all talk about something we can agree on - the superiority of Fabrique National over Glock and the overall superiority of the 9mm.

I picked up a FNS-9 a few years ago in a pawn shop. I liked the feel of it, and it was the G19x before there was a G19x, a full size frame (17+1) with compact slide. Good trigger, shoots nice, and not long after I sold away my G19. It spends most of it's time happily riding in my truck door pocket.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago and I see a FNS 9c in the same pawn shop. It's a little bigger than the G26, a little heavier, and has a couple more rounds on board, and dare I say it - a better trigger. Short and crisp. Nice little factory +0 grip extension and it fits great in my big dick beaters. Picked it up for a good price, and I don't think it had a full mag run through it.

Big brother, little brother

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200708182823182.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	334053

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200708_182959.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	334052

And jk about the Glocks and 9mm, I still have the G36 and G30s. Love those pistols..
    Last edited by I Skied Bandini Mountain; 07-08-2020 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    You can just about kill a duck with strong language. I won't use a .22lr on a duck that's not a threat to my life, but it's been years since I've used anything but a .223
    I knew a guy in Three Forks who used to shoot deer in his yard at night with his 9mm Mac-11, before he got rolled up for slinging meth. He looked just like Edward Abbey, and had a big 6x6 wopidy on his wall...

FN does everything well...But I think Walther has them beat for ootb accuracy. They both have plastic rails you can never use if you ever plan on reselling...
    Can you press check that S9C with 1 hand, like John Wick?

Form 4 can timing update:

Applied: 12/23/19
    ATF Approved: 6/3/20
    Stamp/Out of Jail: 6/21/20

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Well this thread went predictably off the rails. We even got some unsolicited parenting advice. Awesome.

FWIW I've killed two elk dead in their tracks with a .308, shooting 185g Swifts. But again, like everyone else here, it's anecdotal.
    Nice! The shot is the easy part, mucho worko afterwards.

Elk burgers on the grill?

We got out to the range this past holiday weekend. My buddy re sighted in his M1A1 NM and I put a box of shells down two of my Finnish captured Mosin Nagants. Had dogs and moo burgers on the grill later with beers down by the river. Merica
    watch out for snakes

Wahoo! First MG was approved today. Now for the 40-60 day wait for the ATF to put the stamp in the mail. ~250 days on this one. Strangely enough I have a suppressor that's been pending for 350something days.

Anyone have opinions on hunting elk with an M16? 10xM193 is at least the equivalent of a 250gr 338LM, right?

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    I expect you're wrong again, Ken. But we both know nobody can prove a statement like that, so it doesn't matter.

But Anyone who will shoot at a deer with a .22lr is a Certifiable Asshole, and deserves the same amount of respect he shows his game.
    I was in the wildlife business for 8 years and did law enforcement. Most of the poachers around here use a .22lr and head shots. I didn't say that the folks that used a .22lr were legal hunters. Why wake up the neighborhood with an '06.

Mangle, whatcha waiting on?
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Colt 614. Cannot wait!

Nice pickup. Now the fun of adding all the parts begins. You in a C&R only state?
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Nice pickup. Now the fun of adding all the parts begins. You in a C&R only state?
    Nope, I'm in WY. I just found a deal on one in really good shape.

I have a whole bunch of uppers for it, but I still need to add a 22LR. I think I'm most excited for the 20" pencil uppers, just as Stoner intended.

Congrats Mangled one.

Me jelly.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    I was in the wildlife business for 8 years and did law enforcement. Most of the poachers around here use a .22lr and head shots. I didn't say that the folks that used a .22lr were legal hunters. Why wake up the neighborhood with an '06.

So you were a cop and a possum trapper and worked cases of market hunters skulking and sniping around the suburbs of Middle Tennessee with .22s, and they accounted for more dead deer than the entire history of the .30-06 caliber?

I'm gonna have to call BULLSHIT on all that too. :/ You really need to up your game, Ken.

On mine, the upper that gets shot the most is a .22 with a can on it. Get some of the Black Dog Machine drums/mags. Run Mini-Mags in it. Little more expensive but always cycle the gun and a little cleaner.

So you were a cop and worked cases of market hunters skulking around the suburbs of Middle Tennessee with .22s?

I'm going to go ahead and call BULLSHIT on all that too.
    You appear to be an expert in BULLSHIT. Anything else? Or is you specialty inflating dirigibles?

The 22 long rifle debate kind of reminds me of the complications involved in suburban lawn lion hunting. Use too much gun, and it will piss off the neighbors and draw undue attention to the muzzle report. If you don't use enough gun, that cat will wake the dead upon a bad shot.

Quote Originally Posted by mangle View Post
    Wahoo! First MG was approved today. Now for the 40-60 day wait for the ATF to put the stamp in the mail. ~250 days on this one. Strangely enough I have a suppressor that's been pending for 350something days.

Anyone have opinions on hunting elk with an M16? 10xM193 is at least the equivalent of a 250gr 338LM, right?
    Give'em the whole mag Brotha, I got ur back!

I thought we'd moved off this topic on to FN > Glock, or something.

Since we're back here though, the question is never what you can take game with, it's what you should take game with. Using an inadequate cartridge, that the Tacticools think it's sexy or because every gun mag on the stands has (been paid to) promote it, to shoot a large animal resulting in a meager blood trail and prolonged time to death, leading to hours casting around the woods with my buddies (who I had to pull of their hunt to come help me), ultimately concluding in a lost animal I never find is some guilt I don't need. Not when there are plenty of perfectly good, well-tested, humdrum cartridges in unremarkable platforms made by every major mundane arms manufacturer at a relatively dull and cheap price that will reliably punch through both sides (even through the shoulders) and fully expand to a boring .50 caliber hole.

And fuck headshots. A misjudgment in distance, or an unaccounted for breeze, or a poor squeeze, or an unsteady rest, and a shot at a tiny highly-mobile target becomes at best a complete miss, and at worst a destroyed lower jaw and an animal starving to death miles from where you pulled the trigger.

This insufficient cartridge and headshots bullshit needs to stay on Call of Duty where it belongs.
    Last edited by CS2-6; 07-10-2020 at 11:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    I thought we'd moved off this topic on to FN > Glock, or something.

Since we're back here though, the question is never what you can take game with, it's what you should take game with. Using an inadequate cartridge, that the Tacticools think it's sexy or because every gun mag on the stands has (been paid to) promote it, to shoot a large animal resulting in a meager blood trail and prolonged time to death, leading to hours casting around the woods with my buddies (who I had to pull of their hunt to come help me), ultimately concluding in a lost animal I never find is some guilt I don't need. Not when there are plenty of perfectly good, well-tested, humdrum cartridges in unremarkable platforms made by every major mundane arms manufacturer at a relatively dull and cheap price that will reliably punch through both sides (even through the shoulders) and fully expand to a boring .50 caliber hole.

And fuck headshots. A misjudgment in distance, or an unaccounted for breeze, or a poor squeeze, or an unsteady rest, and a shot at a tiny highly-mobile target becomes at best a complete miss, and at worst a destroyed lower jaw and an animal starving to death miles from where you pulled the trigger.

This insufficient cartridge and headshots bullshit needs to stay on Call of Duty where it belongs.
    You're not wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    I'm not calling anybody a liar, but nothing you said contradicts anything highangle stated. Poachers are Certifiable Assholes and deserve little respect.

Besides, I thought we'd moved off this topic on to FN > Glock or something.

Since we're back here though, the question is never what you can take game with, it's what you should take game with. Using an inadequate cartridge, that the tacticools think it's sexy or because every gun mag on the stands has (been paid to) promote it, to shoot a large animal resulting in a meager blood trail and prolonged time to death, leading to hours casting around the woods with my buddies (who I had to pull of their hunt to come help me), ultimately concluding in a lost animal I never find is some guilt I don't need. Not when there are plenty of perfectly good, well-tested, boring cartridges in unremarkable platforms made by every major pedestrian arms manufacturer at a relatively cheap price.

And fuck headshots. A misjudgment in distance, or an unaccounted for breeze, or a poor squeeze, or an unsteady rest, and a shot at a tiny highly-mobile target becomes at best a complete miss, at worst a destroyed lower jaw and a starving animal.

This dude gets it^^^

Ethical hunting is a noble pursuit, an art form, if you will. The "Nobility" of it is based in Not Wanting To Hurt Animals Or Otherwise Impose Needless Suffering Upon The World.

"A firearm gives whoever holds it power over life and death. With those great powers come great responsibilities." Blah blah...Except no. It's not "Blah blah". It's up to the ethical hunter to live up to his fucking responsibilities. Your slightly blown shot with a marginal caliber will almost always cause horrible suffering and maiming or slow miserable death to another living thing, and it's Your goddamn fault all the way down the line, ain't it?

So set things up for success: Use a bullet on the heavier side in a more than adequate caliber for the game. Only take shots you know are within your cold barrel 1 shot 1 kill range. Wait long enough after you shoot before you do something that might push wounded game.
    If you got blood and can't find him in an hour's search, stop and come back with a dog. Your wife's yappy Maltese can trail blood better than you ever will, your Labrador or your buddy's pointer won't even need to put his nose to the ground. Dogs all know what's up when you put on your camo or take down your fowling piece...Instinct takes over when you put any dog on a blood trail. He'll find your game quick.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    The 22 long rifle debate kind of reminds me of the complications involved in suburban lawn lion hunting. Use too much gun, and it will piss off the neighbors and draw undue attention to the muzzle report. If you don't use enough gun, that cat will wake the dead upon a bad shot.

This dude gets it^^^

Ethical hunting is a noble pursuit, an art form, if you will. The "Nobility" of it is based in Not Wanting To Hurt Animals Or Otherwise Impose Needless Suffering Upon The World.

"A firearm gives whoever holds it power over life and death. With those great powers come great responsibilities." Blah blah...Except no. It's not "Blah blah". It's up to the ethical hunter to live up to his fucking responsibilities. Your slightly blown shot with a marginal caliber will almost always cause horrible suffering and maiming or slow miserable death to another living thing, and it's Your goddamn fault all the way down the line, ain't it?

So set things up for success: Use a bullet on the heavier side in a more than adequate caliber for the game. Only take shots you know are within your cold barrel 1 shot 1 kill range. Wait long enough after you shoot before you do something that might push wounded game.
    If you got blood and can't find him in an hour's search, stop and come back with a dog. Your wife's yappy Maltese can trail blood better than you ever will, your Labrador or your buddy's pointer won't even need to put his nose to the ground. Dogs all know what's up when you put on your camo or take down your fowling piece...Instinct takes over when you put any dog on a blood trail. He'll find your game quick.
    A-fucking-men
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I agree with the summation. Head shots aren't for everyone. I saw enough "Wal-Mart" hunters in my day. Buy a Marlin 30-30 with a scope on it, shoot it once, and head to the woods. Same thing with a bow. Maim and gut shoot tons of animals. I got to deal with the leftovers. But, the golden eagles and vultures got a feast.

I have killed white-tails with:
    .22lr from a S&W Revolver
    .38 special
    .357 Mag
    .22-250
    25-06
    7mm-08

When I was working, we did abomasal parasite studies. Collected deer at night in front of a spotlight. Head shots were required. Not hard when the target doesn't move and shooting from a rest out of the back of a truck. My longest string without a miss was 17. Best night was 7. Favorite gun was the 25-06.

Just got back from the range. The 6.5 AR-10 works great now that I have the correct length gas tube in it. "DPMS-compatible barrel" apparently means that it might require an Armalite-specific gas tube length to run. The 10.5" pseudo-dissipator top-charging AR runs now that the gas block set screws are tight - it'll cycle subs and supers with or without a can. The 11.5" Remington-overrun barrel upper runs on M855 with the can attached, though it is very gassy. All in all, a pretty successful outing.

Also ordered a 9" CMMG 22LR upper and a black dog machine 50-round drum for the incoming M16.

Today was awesome.

Zion, saw this ad on the local gun page. Guys has a Ruger RPR in 6.5 cm and a tikka 300 wm too that seem fairly priced. It’s 2-3 hours from me so can’t really go check them out but might be worth your kid looking into.

https://www.zidaho.com/index.php?a=2&b=10586

Sportsman's has the base Vanguard Select on sale for $499.99... .243, .270, .308, '06, 7 Mag, 300WM.

Mea Culpa. Weatherby Vanguards can be had new for $500 at Sportsman's. Just all in chamberings too big or old for New Elk!
    Kids everywhere will be sofknpissed...

Those same bastards at Sportsman's also have the CZ 557 Sporter, a rifle with billet receiver, great barrel, controlled round feed [Mauser] action, hinged floorplate, adjustable fucking trigger, and integrated bases for $499.97 in, get this... .30-06 only! The 6.5 Swede is over $200 more...Those assholes!

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/rifles/cz-557-sporter-synthetic-rifle/p/p41985

edit: That didn't take long!

Last edited by highangle; 07-11-2020 at 03:09 PM.

They could pay $30 more and be just fine.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...rifle/p/p42301