Page 129 of 435 FirstFirst ... 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,225 of 10853

Thread: GUNS!!!!!!!!

More #sigstoke from the Academy:

556xi Russian

Water testing with the MCX

People shooting ski areas should be sued.

The new 1911 Enhanced Target model:

And this happened:

People shooting ski areas should be sued.

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    The new 1911 Enhanced Target model:

I have wanted a P220 for some time now but now looking at that it would be a worthy successor to my Colt Gold Cup NM series 70.
    watch out for snakes

I just picked to a savage 17 hmr with a checkered gray laminate stock and stainless bull barrel. I've got a cabelas pine ridge 6-18 tactical scope for it. I'll take a few pictures once I get the scope on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Jerry's stoked, but question is was that just a pot shot?

People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Looks like mags in Cali need to rally against this one.

BREAKING NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT!
    California Senate Bill 53 (Ammo Ban)

Senator Kevin "ghost gun" de Leon's SB 53 ammo ban bill is reportedly being amended TODAY in order for it to move forward ASAP.

This signals that Assembly passage may be imminent and that Senator de Leon could have successfully negotiated a compromise with Governor Brown. Remember that Senator de Leon was the author of AB 962 just a few short years ago -- don't let him win again!

OPPOSE this attack on your Second Amendment gun rights at www.StopSB53.org NOW, then call your elected officials TOMORROW! (Phone directory here.) Tell them that you stand with FPC in OPPOSITION to SB 53 and urge them to vote NO when the bill comes up on the floor.
    watch out for snakes

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    Jerry's stoked, but question is was that just a pot shot?

I've seen him make enough 'impossible' shots to believe it. He's fucking unreal.

Big boy pistol day at the range yesterday:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bigboytoy.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	157668

everbodies favorite fake russian

watch out for snakes

I've got a really fun new project I'll take the curtain off of in a few weeks. I spent the day with Jerry and Jim Clark today playing with it.

^^^C-note AR mag?
    watch out for snakes

jgb@etree Guest
    ^That'd be neat if it actually feeds, unlike most of the >40 rounders.

Finally bucked up and spent the $ to replace my ghetto rig target cam. Bought a wifi webcam a few years back and rigged up a radio shack battery box to power it. I put it down range, connect to it with my laptop and can control the camera and view it via webcam. It works pretty well, but has its shortcomings.

I was looking around this weekend to buy a better camera setup, and found this:

http://www.bullseyecamera.com/

Nice hardware, but the software is the tits. It tracks & highlights your shots and you can do all kinds of cool stuff. I didn't spend the extra on the 1000yd version as I rarely have a chance to shoot that far, and could easily/cheaply upgrade the antenna myself if it were ever an issue.

Looks pretty awesome. Looking forward to getting it out on the range when it shows up.

Eh, magazines are boring. We'll add smaller capacities as the industry picks back up (read: is resuscitated).

This one will be a new product, under a new company, that I dare say doesn't exist in any form. It's much more aligned with my background and research interests.

Talking to Clark has been really educational. I consider myself a half-decent shooter, but I'm nowhere close to that guy. He had a whole wishlist of stuff for comp shooting that I'm going to start picking off. I'm excited.

jgb@etree Guest
    Christ, file for the patent already and tell us what you're up to. Such a tease!

On a side note, if you were to bring a case of your mags to the free state of VT for Ullrfest, I'd buy them.

Now that I'm back to civilization, here's a teaser pic. There's lots more to this system that isn't in the picture.

Name:	IMG_2227.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	157943

Jgb, we can do a case. We'll figure it out.

looks like a slide fire stock plus goodies
    watch out for snakes

No slide fire, just an Ace skeletonized stock (which I absolutely love). New thing starts with a bunch of electronic goodies.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mangle View Post
    Now that I'm back to civilization, here's a teaser pic. There's lots more to this system that isn't in the picture.

Name:	IMG_2227.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	157943
    Hrm... Very interested to know what you're up to. If that module you're debugging with the ICD3 is like a poor man's AN/PEQ-16B with range finding capabilities, that'd be awesome. If you are working on something like that, did you see the EOTech hack using an Arduino Pro? Pretty cool idea that could be used to display all kinds of data, custom reticles, etc.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...rduino-inside/

Jgb, we can do a case. We'll figure it out.
    Sweet, thanks dude. I'm a member of the Chester Rod & Gun club down the road, so a pre-Ullrfest marksmanship competition is always an option.

When is ullrfest this year? Do you have a rifle with a quad rail on the front end? I'd be happy to let you play with it, but I don't want pics or a description of what it is on the internet just yet.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mangle View Post
    When is ullrfest this year? Do you have a rifle with a quad rail on the front end? I'd be happy to let you play with it, but I don't want pics or a description of what it is on the internet just yet.
    Don't think the date is nailed down yet, but it sounds like 10/18 or 10/25 are the front running options.

Plenty of uppers with quad rails, and more M855 & Mk262 Mod 1 rounds than I know what to do with. Would be fun if it can be worked out & I certainly wont go blabbing about what you are working on.

Scotty: Any chance you're going to be able to make it up north for the party this year?

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post

Scotty: Any chance you're going to be able to make it up north for the party this year?
    Depends on the date and my work schedule. We are still 2 men down on a 9 person rotation and folks are trying to use vacation time b4 useorloose cutoff. Best I could say is possible maybe.
    watch out for snakes

Gun jong.

I've shot a number of different caliber rifles .223, .308, 30-30 and own a .22LR (a ca. 1955 Remington 512 that was my fathers). But I know very little about ammo varieties...other than they can get expensive. I like taking the .22 and shooting 50 rounds at a target and not having to budget $30 for ammo.

My porcupine problem has me thinking of getting another gun at some point, so as a step up from the .22 what do you recommend that could take down a 20-30lb varmit? .223, or is there another caliber I should be looking at? and what rifle model should I be looking at, say in the $200-300 range?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Gun jong.

I've shot a number of different caliber rifles .223, .308, 30-30 and own a .22LR (a ca. 1955 Remington 512 that was my fathers). But I know very little about ammo varieties...other than they can get expensive. I like taking the .22 and shooting 50 rounds at a target and not having to budget $30 for ammo.

My porcupine problem has me thinking of getting another gun at some point, so as a step up from the .22 what do you recommend that could take down a 20-30lb varmit? .223, or is there another caliber I should be looking at? and what rifle model should I be looking at, say in the $200-300 range?
    Nothing wrong with your .22. If you're a decent shot, a .22LR to the head should do the trick, but from what I hear they are pretty tough little critters. .223/5.56 would most assuredly do the job, even if you don't score a headshot. Defending your home from vermin is a bit different than real hunting, because if you're hunting for real you shouldn't (IMO) be putting your booger hook on the bang switch until you know you have a perfect shot to ensure a clean kill.

If you're still looking for another rifle are you looking for something more 'traditional' with a wood stock, or a modern sporting rifle like an AR15? Classic style, you can probably find a nice Ruger 77/22 in 22 Hornet (love mine and the round is much more similar to .223 than .22LR) within your budget.

They have plastic stocks, but the newer Ruger American Rifle is a decent bolt gun and comes in several calibers (22-250, .223, .270, 7mm-08, .308 & 30-06). You can pick one up brand new for ~$400

If going the MSR route, well... that $2-300 will barely get you a built lower reciever, and you'd be looking at another $500+ for the upper. And that's before you even throw on sights, a scope or any other accessories. If you're an idiot like me, you can sink $3k+ into an AR very quickly. The upside is that it's a great & extremely versatile platform. It's like an erector set for adults & there is virually no limit to the upgrades or accessories to customize your rifle for your needs/desires.

Cost wise, it really doesn't get any cheaper than .22LR. Unless you decide to get a high powered pellet gun (many of which would easily take out your porcupine friend). Next up is probably .223/5.56 which usually stays relatively cheap due to it being very common, and all of the mil-surplus ammo in the marketplace.

Happy hunting.

Thanks jgb. I'm an ok shot, I think. I can hit a Coke can at 200-250 feet fairly regularly with just the sights. But I don't hunt so hitting even slightly moving targets is not an expertise of mine. I don't think I want to head down the AR-15 route. The Ruger 77 looks like a nice gun and I'm used to bolt action. I had never heard of a .22 Hornet and I see that's a centerfire load so that's interesting. I'll look into the .223 as well and see what's available locally.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

jgb@etree Guest
    Don't fall too in love with 22 Hornet as my love for the 77 kind of clouded my vision when recommending it given your spec of not spending and arm & leg on ammo. I reload them so the market for them kind of slipped my mind. They're probably pretty hard to find & expensive for plinking ammo. Plus, with the slow twist and limited variety of bullet weights/shapes/materials make it tough to justify over .223 which is a much faster round and so much cheaper and easier to find. Tikka makes some nice 223 bolt guns, but you're probably end up paying $600+ even for a used one. Outside of the plastic stock, I really think the Ruger American in 223 (308 or 30-06 if you want to step it up to 30cal). Definitely other good options out there if you look around and do your homework.

How many acres do you have? Shooting a rifle anywhere near a community is a daunting proposition. Hit a person much less a gas meter and your life is changed forever.
    Maybe you should warm up with some paint balls and try to annoy it into going elsewhere. .