Page 403 of 435 FirstFirst ... 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 ... LastLast
Results 10,051 to 10,075 of 10853

Thread: GUNS!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Y'all wanna beat a dead horse again? I'm actually going to buy a new rifle with my tax return, beginning the planning/ordering process now.
    7mm rem or 300 win?
    Mule Deer and Elk, Utah based.
    Shooting a .308 now. Love the idea of .280 ackley or something but I'm looking for availability of ammo and reasonable (haha) prices.
    Current rifle?
    Why not a 30-06?

Shooting a .308 now.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Current rifle?
    Uhhhhhh

Because I live in VT, are there any affordable non-AK style rifles worth buying in 7.62x39 that take metal AK style mags? Just go with it I got my reasons. I think I'm basically asking about 7.62x39 ARs for the most part.

Y'all wanna beat a dead horse again? I'm actually going to buy a new rifle with my tax return, beginning the planning/ordering process now.
    7mm rem or 300 win?
    Mule Deer and Elk, Utah based.
    Shooting a .308 now. Love the idea of .280 ackley or something but I'm looking for availability of ammo and reasonable (haha) prices.
    7mm RM. 20 percent less recoil and for all intents and purposes the same "ability" of the 300wm. I assume this'll be a lightweight mtn rifle?

And.....just like saying betelguese 3x, you've invited highangle to come in here and rant about ethics and tell you that you are everything that is wrong in hunting.

Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP package, 308, nothing done to it. Shot two mule deer around 200 and an antelope at 360 with it, Its fine, but, I like shiny things and want a rifle that has the capabilities of taking an elk at 400, (which, I'm fully aware of the fact that I need more practice).
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

taking an elk at 400,
    Oh god. Save yourself from the wrath!

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Because I live in VT, are there any affordable non-AK style rifles worth buying in 7.62x39 that take metal AK style mags? Just go with it I got my reasons. I think I'm basically asking about 7.62x39 ARs for the most part.
    I think you answered your own question? PSA has KS-47s for pretty cheep but I can't speak for quality or accuracy.

I do have a Ruger American ranch rifle in 7.62 commie. Bolt action, 16" barrel, uses metal mini 30 mags, tupperware stock, ugly as dog shit but holy shit it shoots lights out with Hornady black or Federal fusion. That might be what I actually grab for the zombie apocalypse.

Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP package, 308, nothing done to it. Shot two mule deer around 200 and an antelope at 360 with it, Its fine, but, I like shiny things and want a rifle that has the capabilities of taking an elk at 400, (which, I'm fully aware of the fact that I need more practice).
    And a trigger less than 3lbs...

The 300wsm is magic. With a hotrock 180gr round like the 3100fps Norma Bondstrike, my light T3 rig kicks like my OU 12 with pheasant loads, only way slower. LimbSaver turns that rifle into a total pusher.
    With that load, I can zero at 350yds and be 8" low at 400. And it has the same energy at 200yds as a 30/06 with 180gr Federal Partitions at the muzzle. All in a short action mountain rifle I can relax and slay with, because I know it ain't gonna punch me.

If you want to shoot long high BC bullets, the 300wm starts walking away from the wsm above 180 grains. But up to 180gr, you can't make a 300wm [or a 300 RUM or 30 Nosler] shoot any faster than a 300wsm.

On the downside, ammo ain't particularly cheap. But then again, it's not particularly expensive [like the RUM & Nosler], and it's just about as available as 300wm or 7mag.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Uhhhhhh
    Guess I should have been more specific as in make and model as to compliment the .308 platform.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I think you answered your own question? PSA has KS-47s for pretty cheep but I can't speak for quality or accuracy.

I do have a Ruger American ranch rifle in 7.62 commie. Bolt action, 16" barrel, uses metal mini 30 mags, tupperware stock, ugly as dog shit but holy shit it shoots lights out with Hornady black or Federal fusion. That might be what I actually grab for the zombie apocalypse.
    Ya, I'm stuck with the AK mags. This is VT and 2018 happened. Reasons. Quality and accuracy insight is what I'm looking for, plus any options. I want something more accurate than the rifle they belong to, and that also expands the fire team.

Tough call between 7 RM and 300 WM for western game. But you already have a .308. I'd say 300 WM because it will give you heavier bullet options and shoot faster/further than what you've got. The 7 RM is faster and higher BC than .308 but you're in the same bullet weight zone.

If it were me having a shooter .308 and I just wanted a new rifle, I'd consider either caliber leaning to the 300 but buy whichever based on the first rifle to jump out at me and then put a sweet optic on it and go shooting.

I will most likely be passing the .308 on when I get a new rifle, I have a .308 woodsmaster semi auto and a Winchester 94 in .32 special if I want a close in timber gun, so this may be my only true mountain rifle. Or I save the savage and use it for generic practice to keep costs low

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I wouldn't over think it then. I'd look at either caliber buy what you can find in the rifle you want.

I'm having an easier time finding 300wm ammo right now vs 7RM or 300WSM.

Just went through same decision myself and ended up with 300wm. It's not going to be a bench rest gun and between the limbsaver and the brake, I'm not too worried about the recoil. Just put the finishing touches on it last week.

And yes, I think I'm going to go up a size in rings, or swap out to a smaller objective scope.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I like the brake. Let us know how it does with recoil

It’s been a very long time but I remember that kick
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

My Tikka T3X .300WM has a very reasonable recoil. Between the brake and the limbsaver Input on there, it's a square recoil and I can watch impact.

But yeah. 300WM vs 7mm is a dead heat. If you reload, .308 caliber bullets are a little more plentiful.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Having shot both Rev's 300 Tikka and my 7 RM Tikka that is set up very similarly (his has a nicer stock), I wouldn't sweat recoil on either. And shooting my 300 WM with internal brake/suppressor and pad back to back with my 7 RM with brake and pad, there isn't a lot of difference felt. Arbitrarily, the 7 recoil feels a little quicker but I'm no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    And yes, I think I'm going to go up a size in rings, or swap out to a smaller objective scope.
    Nice looking setup. You might consider a rail too depending on recoil after you shoot it.

Name:  IMG_0108.jpeg
Views: 380
Size:  144.9 KB

And for fun, my CZ that was on backorder finally showed up. My DA Mask is still a few months out from being released but should be a fun little plinker with or without. If the snow doesn't come soon, I see some desert camping and poking holes in beer cans coming up.

Name:  IMG_0254.jpeg
Views: 311
Size:  47.6 KB

I have the t3x in 7mm RM, I added a limbsaver as well. The only time I really notice recoil is at the bench. It doesn’t bother me when I prone out and I certainly never notice while hunting. I ended up with the 7mm because it’s what was available when I bought. I would’ve also taken the 300 wm or 300 wsm.

The rifle I’d build now, if I reloaded: 7 saum with an 18 or 20 inch carbon barrel, Allterra stock and suppressor.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post

Name:  IMG_0108.jpeg
Views: 380
Size:  144.9 KB
    What length barrel, and what length suppressor is that? How do you feel about the overall length? I just ordered a 7” can and trying to decide what barrel I should have with it.

Ruger makes a couple.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Ya, I'm stuck with the AK mags. This is VT and 2018 happened. Reasons. Quality and accuracy insight is what I'm looking for, plus any options. I want something more accurate than the rifle they belong to, and that also expands the fire team.
    Budget? Look at the reviews on the PSA AK's before you jump. Avoid anything made by Century Arms like the plague. Check Gunbroker too.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    What length barrel, and what length suppressor is that? How do you feel about the overall length? I just ordered a 7” can and trying to decide what barrel I should have with it.
    26" barrel, 6.5" can (DA Nomad). It's pretty long to carry in timber but I also have my pack set up to keep it lower so about like a 26" barrel rifle without a suppressor.. It's set up with a quick detach so I can use it on other rifles. The POI moves about an 1" between on and off and accuracy is repeatable. Pretty heavy for a mountain gun. 11 lbs as pictured. Take the can, bipod, and stock pouch off and I'm sitting at 8.5 lbs which isn't great but pretty decent for a 26" barrel 300 WM with a 5-30x optic. I can strip my 7 RM Tikka down lower if I need something lighter but I don't get too hung up on rifle weight. If I can shoot it well, a pound or two extra is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Budget? Look at the reviews on the PSA AK's before you jump. Avoid anything made by Century Arms like the plague. Check Gunbroker too.
    Ya, Century Arms is on no fly list. Local business too which is a shame. I'd love a good rifle to cost $650 but I'm probably high on powder solvent. The Rock River Arms CAR A4 LAR-47 is interesting at $1135 MSRP. This whole exercise may be futile. And I am fully aware of the ridiculousness of choosing a rifle based on the magazines. I also know nothing about what's available that fits these mags.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I like the brake. Let us know how it does with recoil

It’s been a very long time but I remember that kick
    Thanks, will do. It's a cheap ultradyne pegasus. Threw it on my 6.5 just for kicks and it shot like a .22. Completely unnecessary on that gun though.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Having shot both Rev's 300 Tikka and my 7 RM Tikka that is set up very similarly (his has a nicer stock), I wouldn't sweat recoil on either. And shooting my 300 WM with internal brake/suppressor and pad back to back with my 7 RM with brake and pad, there isn't a lot of difference felt. Arbitrarily, the 7 recoil feels a little quicker but I'm no expert.

Nice looking setup. You might consider a rail too depending on recoil after you shoot it.
    Not sure it's a nicer stock. Looks like you have an Eh1 and I have all I could find, which was an Iota Eko. Had to get the dremel out to get bottom metal flush. I definitely want to get a can. I've been impressed with comments about the recoil reduction (i.e. not as much as a brake, but close enough).
    Last edited by mattig; 12-09-2021 at 02:17 PM.

Ya, Century Arms is on no fly list. Local business too which is a shame. I'd love a good rifle to cost $650 but I'm probably high on powder solvent. The Rock River Arms CAR A4 LAR-47 is interesting at $1135 MSRP. This whole exercise may be futile. And I am fully aware of the ridiculousness of choosing a rifle based on the magazines. I also know nothing about what's available that fits these mags.

I bought a Bergara B-14 hunter. It shoots pretty well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 12.32.27 PM.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	294.3 KB 
ID:	395963