Page 369 of 435 FirstFirst ... 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 ... LastLast
Results 9,201 to 9,225 of 10853

Thread: GUNS!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Don't be surprised if they expect that 4MOA group to also happen at ~30 degrees up or down angle...
    EurAsian guides are much better about measuring that shit in the field. You hear ibex and tur hunters going on about "312 meters with 28 degree angle..."* or some such because they use rangefinders with (in)clinometers, some of which compute horizontal distance to hold for.

A little practice shooting at steep angles will always benefit a mountain hunter!

Thinhorn sheep guides usually recommend a 7mag or one of the 300s. You don't want to have to carry another firearm in bear country, and you may have to take a shot up to 400yds [even though the guide's job is to put you within 200 - shit happens]. A fast flat magnum shooting a heavy bullet with a high BC can help take a lot of wind out of a shot too.

And If Gordon Eastman had thought of taping a dope table to his rifle stock, there'd be a lot less sheep in the Yukon and NWT today...

*312m horizontal distance with a 28 degree shot angle means the slope distance read 353.4m....basically the difference between holding [or dialing] for 300m vs the 350m the bullet will actually travel before it hits the target 166m below the hunter.
    I shoot 180g Swift Scirocco 2's (hand loaded) out of my .300WM. Very flat shooting, nearly copper-level weight retention (less lead sprinkling the meat/guts) and small enough for just about anything in terms of destruction, yet I've dropped a handful of elk with them like a light switch. They're expensive if you buy them at the store but well worth it, me thinks.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by mangle View Post
    M16 with a 22LR upper assembled from rebranded CMMG parts (dedicated 22 barrel, CMMG bolt kit, CMMG sear trip and anti-bounce weight). I had to bend the sear trip a little (with the aid of a torch) to get it to engage the sear, but it ran great on its first time out today. In ~1k rounds of Remington Thunderbolt and Federal bucket o 22, I had two failures to extract. I'm betting that was from the filth that had accumulated. I believe that a Rugged Oculus will live on this one for the future.

No real problems at the range today, even though a VIP showed up with a full contingent of SS and FBI guys. The rangemaster hurried over and wanted to make sure everything I had with me was legal. I was entertained.
    Fuck me why did I click here today?
    That looks like top three funnest things you could do with you pants on, top ten with pants off.

But no money for the conversion, the 20k rounds me n my kid would burn through in a weekend, or the paperwork to make it legal.

The supply of 22 ammo in the west is safe.... for now.

Are you LEO mangle? US AG showing up to whack paper badguys at a public range where civilians are running full auto just seems outside what I think his security detail would be comfortable with. But what do I know....

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

mangle... you the MIT grad I met in Spur?

Yeah mangle, questions abound...When Obama visited my little fishing village, you couldn't have a heckin' cell phone or camera anywhere near.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    I shoot 180g Swift Scirocco 2's (hand loaded) out of my .300WM. Very flat shooting, nearly copper-level weight retention (less lead sprinkling the meat/guts) and small enough for just about anything in terms of destruction, yet I've dropped a handful of elk with them like a light switch. They're expensive if you buy them at the store but well worth it, me thinks.
    That is a fine fine bullet.^^^
    The 300WM is a handloader's dream...Watch out for scope eye pushing these over 3000fps [don't ask how I know!]:
    Name:  30cal-200gr-AB.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  15.2 KB
    https://shop.nosler.com/accubond-30-caliber-200-grain-bullet-50ct.html

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    mangle... you the MIT grad I met in Spur?
    Probably. There aren't too many of us around here. I do frequent the spur. *edit* and if you are who I think you are, I'm upset I haven't heard the bear spray story in person.

Yeah mangle, questions abound...When Obama visited my little fishing village, you couldn't have a heckin' cell phone or camera anywhere near.
    Shocked the hell out of me. He had a sizeable security force with him. They put him on the other side of a concrete wall in the 22 bay, but no one bothered to say anything to me. If you ever wanted to rob a bank in Jackson, Friday would have been the day. The sheriffs were all at the range as well.

Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post
    Fuck me why did I click here today?
    That looks like top three funnest things you could do with you pants on, top ten with pants off.

Are you LEO mangle? US AG showing up to whack paper badguys at a public range where civilians are running full auto just seems outside what I think his security detail would be comfortable with. But what do I know....
    Definitely a ton of fun. Not LEO. I build stuff for fun people though.
    Last edited by mangle; 08-21-2020 at 06:04 PM.

Don't be surprised if they expect that 4MOA group to also happen at ~30 degrees up or down angle...
    EurAsian guides are much better about measuring that shit in the field. You hear ibex and tur hunters going on about "312 meters with 28 degree angle..."* or some such because they use rangefinders with (in)clinometers, some of which compute horizontal distance to hold for.

A little practice shooting at steep angles will always benefit a mountain hunter!

Thinhorn sheep guides usually recommend a 7mag or one of the 300s. You don't want to have to carry another firearm in bear country, and you may have to take a shot up to 400yds [even though the guide's job is to put you within 200 - shit happens]. A fast flat magnum shooting a heavy bullet with a high BC can help take a lot of wind out of a shot too.

And If Gordon Eastman had thought of taping a dope table to his rifle stock, there'd be a lot less sheep in the Yukon and NWT today...

*312m horizontal distance with a 28 degree shot angle means the slope distance read 353.4m....basically the difference between holding [or dialing] for 300m vs the 350m the bullet will actually travel before it hits the target 166m below the hunter.
    So I don’t do much high-angle shooting, but I am familiar with it. Helicopters add a whole dimension. The rangefinder I’d carry on a goat hunt is a Nikon Monarch *edit* 7i, and it does the horizontal component for you. Image stabilization is awesome.

It almost don't seem fair, using so much geotech...But to that I'd counter that you are talking about putting a living critter down as humanely as possible and anything that advances that goal within the context of fair chase [or prescribed culling] is legit.
    Shooting is a small part of hunting [prob gonna be a larger part of culling]. Vital, but so is every other hunting skill. Sometimes it's the crux of a hunt, sometimes not so much.
    After a nominal 70yd shot on a moose that falls at the edge of a fast creek, having a good knife and a bit of rope and knowing how to employ them are WAY more important than keen marksmanship or that 10lbs of expensive iron and glass that's still weighing you down. And none of it would have meant shit in its due time if you couldn't somehow get yourself "In the presence of game"... It's rich, and compelling, this hunting.
    Blasting them off a cliff face with helmet-sight miniguns sounds like fun, but a very different, more immediate fun than "sport hunting" for them bastards, which, like climbing the Nordwand, is usually way more "fun" after the fact than during.
    Last edited by highangle; 08-21-2020 at 08:21 PM.

Shot my first Steel Challenge match last night. That's fun. Anyone else frequent such things?

Big Sky Maggot ShootFest 3.0 was fun !

Djongo showed up with a massive arsenal plus tons of ammo. We had the place to ourselves, and we were there about 4 hours. Everyone had a 30-06 so that was the primary thing we all shot. But Djongo also had a bolt action.223 that was a tack driver. Plus handguns, everything from a cowboy style single action 45 Long Colt to a kitted out 45 auto, tons of fun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3903.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	338196

Name:	IMG_3905.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	338197

Name:	IMG_3907.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	338198

Name:	IMG_3909.jpg 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	338199

Name:	IMG_3912.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	338200

Name:	IMG_3913.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	338201

Name:	IMG_3916.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	338202

Name:	IMG_3917.jpg 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	338203

Name:	IMG_3917.jpg 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	338203

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

https://buckrail.com/mountain-goat-c...or-volunteers/

I put a team together. Anyone else?
    Results are in. Move discussion on the topic to the Fall Days Afield thread?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Results are in. Move discussion on the topic to the Fall Days Afield thread?
    Yep, I was not selected. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    You're not kidding, now all the law-abiding citizens who put a pop-rivet in their standard capacity magazines to make them "low-capacity CA-legal" can remove the rivet. And once the CA AWB falls, lawful gun owners can put the illegal plastic pistol grip back on their AR's.

As if forcing only law-abiding citizens to put a pop-rivet in magazines and remove pistol grips had any effect on violent crime whatsoever... Benitez deserves a nice bottle of whiskey.
    Oaks - you have the Freedom Week where we had a couple of days for legal purchases. You should have popped the rivet then. It is up to CA to prove you did not buy or modify your "regular capacity" magazine. Rumor has it that there some kids in Montana that may have pickup some "regular capacity" magazines for me, um I mean a friend.

Is that the NRA range near Big Sky?

Quote Originally Posted by srface_hoar View Post
    Is that the NRA range near Big Sky?
    NRA Range ? Fuck the NRA. Wayne LaPiere and his designer suits can go fuck themselves. Fucking crooks, anyone who gives money to the NRA is an idiot after what has been revealed about their corruption.

This is a USFS Range managed by a local non-profit.

Come join us.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

GUNS!!!!!!!!

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020...ch-sunday.html

I own guns but this is ridiculous. This is happening in my home town. One of the brewery is a former snowbird local and really good guy. This is blatant intimidation and completely absurd. Hope the seaside city council stands up to these out of town gun dorks.
    Last edited by altacoup; 09-06-2020 at 06:26 PM.

Asking for a friend Will someone please post links to the Well Regulated Militia rallying pages on the net? Thanks.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

@TNKen - you were right.

Bought another of the Brownells Retro series - 605 upper came in earlier this week. It's a replica of the Colt 605, their first attempt at a carbine, which consists of lopping off the 20" barrel at 15", just beyond the front sight post. The reproductions have a massive gas port and still run only on full-power 5.56. I was a little worried about running it on the 614, but it turned out not to be a problem. Cyclic is slow, probably in the 5xx RPM.

Coming this week is a CMMG RDB 9mm upper that I'll use for PCC class USPSA and Steel Challenge, as well as a subgun.

The 22 upper continues to run better than any other rimfire I've owned or shot.

Shot my first Steel Challenge match last night. That's fun. Anyone else frequent such things?
    I do the local matches with the kiddos.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

@TNKen - you were right.

Bought another of the Brownells Retro series - 605 upper came in earlier this week. It's a replica of the Colt 605, their first attempt at a carbine, which consists of lopping off the 20" barrel at 15", just beyond the front sight post. The reproductions have a massive gas port and still run only on full-power 5.56. I was a little worried about running it on the 614, but it turned out not to be a problem. Cyclic is slow, probably in the 5xx RPM.

Coming this week is a CMMG RDB 9mm upper that I'll use for PCC class USPSA and Steel Challenge, as well as a subgun.

The 22 upper continues to run better than any other rimfire I've owned or shot.
    Yep, and they only get more expensive.

Check out this little add-on
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878404097

Or this
    https://dealernfa.com/fightlite-mcr060/

How about 9mm?
    https://freedomordnance.com/fm-9/

DOE Upper
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878372472
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Ruben might not turn his stuff that fast but he always has a pile of sick stuff. I'm always jealous of the pile of stuff has laying around.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Yep, and they only get more expensive.

Check out this little add-on
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878404097

Or this

How about 9mm?
    https://freedomordnance.com/fm-9/

DOE Upper
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878372472
    Mmmmm... beltfeds. I'm still debating - I was *this* close to buying an M2HB a while back, and then I started calculating what it would cost to feed. I'm considering this one though - https://otbfirearms.com/dlo-m1919-a4...n-with-tripod/

I'm still a little squeamish about a straight blow-back 9mm in a RR. That'll probably fade with time.

How many LMG's do you think are in the armories of The Well Regulated Militia? 500, 5000 or 50,000
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Mmmmm... beltfeds. I'm still debating - I was *this* close to buying an M2HB a while back, and then I started calculating what it would cost to feed. I'm considering this one though - https://otbfirearms.com/dlo-m1919-a4...n-with-tripod/

I'm still a little squeamish about a straight blow-back 9mm in a RR. That'll probably fade with time.
    I have had 4 beltfeds. MG-42, 1919, Maxim 08-15 and the Shrike/Ares/flightlight upper. Never fired the Ares.

The 1919 was pretty cool, but I became bored with it pretty fast. Mine was converted to 8mm. At the time, you could still find large bulk quantities of surplus ammo.

The 08/15 was a pain in the ass. Water, oil, packing the glands, etc. Always leaked, but pretty fun to shoot. Also in 8mm.

The MG-42 is the only gun I wish I still had.

All beltfeds are a pain in the ass. Remember, they were all a crew served weapon. Lots of steel to lug around, set up, get ready to run, shoot from a stationary position at usually one or two targets (unless you are at a MG shoot). After a couple of belts, they kind of lose their fun. Don't forget hours of loading belts to go rip for a few seconds. The MG 42 and 1919 both ran around 800 rpm. At $.50/round, that's $400 a minute.

Kind of like a boat. Find a friend with one and bring ammo. If you are still in the mood, go to a MG shoot and spend a few hundred renting one and see it it kills the bug.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Anyone have a Glock G40 in 10mm? Interested in your thoughts.
    I need a reliable sidearm for hog hunting, and 10mm has the knockdown punch needed to stop those bulldozers in their tracks.
    Curious about the kick and follow up shot speed. This would be my only handgun, but I have shot plenty of 9mm and .45
    No opinion on the G40...but I have found my G20 to be just as easy to shoot as any 45.

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)