Sandy Utards, all your greenspace are belong to us

The "Heart of the Wasatch" is about to be stabbed by progress. 20 bucks says "the new face of the arts" gets an Applebees/TGIF/Olive Garden. It's funny, because there is a ton of newly-built, yet mostly unoccupied office space in this part of town. That's probably because you can't see those buildings from SLC. This'll do the trick.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Yeah, I just got the mail and you should see the "flyer" they are sending out for this. 30 story building in Sandy. Let's hope Wal-Mart occupies the top floor as a corporate bungalow.

I noticed a Chipotle is opening up down the street as well (10600 and State). It’s just what this area needed, another chain Burrito place. (I do like Chipotle though, I’m just saying…)
    "People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the
    water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then?
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

This is why i hate my line of work. I dont hate architecture per se, there are some really beautiful buildings around. Its the irresponsibility of te developers that gets me. "Hey heres a nice productive farm field, lets lowball the owner and shit a hideous retail/condo development on it!"
    I think the design of this Proscenium is pretty neat really, but it doesnt fit in Sandy at all. Do it downtown, wheres theres other tall buildings. In the end all the developer cares about is the bottom line. I know this from first hand experience.

Heh, one of the slideshow photos is of 15 backed up all the way to downtown. Glad my view is to the east.

The "About Us" section is ridiculous. Self-aggrandize much?

It is The Proscenium. It’s a gathering place where all of this collides. It’s an explosion of architecture and art. A combination of performance and possibility.
    It’s a place that will be called magnificent; inspiring. It’s a place that others will admire. And it’s a giant magnet for the best talent and creative thinking from around the region.

And it will be called one other thing: Home.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 04-02-2008 at 03:59 PM.

But the burning question is....

...how long before Roner BASE-jumps that thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Altagirl View Post
    Yeah, I just got the mail and you should see the "flyer" they are sending out for this. 30 story building in Sandy. Let's hope Wal-Mart occupies the top floor as a corporate bungalow.

I noticed a Chipotle is opening up down the street as well (10600 and State). It’s just what this area needed, another chain Burrito place. (I do like Chipotle though, I’m just saying…)
    You got shafted with that flyer. They gave me cookies and a presentation.

I'm only marginally ashamed to admit that I've eaten at that Chipotle twice already. In my defense, PeiWei is played, Rhumbi and Costa Vida are inedible, and don't get me started on the crap across the street. Besides, it's relatively cheap and their free-range pork is effin' good.

Where do I park my jetcar? The future is now!

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    But the burning question is....

...how long before Roner BASE-jumps that thing?
    They could probably make more money using it as a legal BASE site than with the theater. I'm pretty sure the theaters downtown struggle already.

Sure, but did they use custom artistic masks at the groundbreaking?

edit: never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    They could probably make more money using it as a legal BASE site than with the theater. I'm pretty sure the theaters downtown struggle already.
    Yeah, but this one is hard to pronounce.

I (obviously) don't live in Utah anymore, but please don't let that skybridge get built over main street in downtown.

Skybridges are like the one thing city code prohibits downtown - and of course, according to the people behind the City Creek center thing - the project cannot succeed without it, despite the fact that the code has been in place for many years.

Uggh.

I'm just gonna go by the opportunity they had at 94th south and 2000 east to put in some unique restaurants and such....and we got Quiznos, Bajio, Starbucks, Village Inn, Home Depot, Checker Auto Parts, and a Quik Lube. Awesome, I couldn't find any of that already. I'm really glad I don't have to drive 5 minutes to the Home Depot anymore, across the street is so much easier

This is Sandy, no point in even hoping this will be even moderately cool.
    [This Space For Rent]