TR: Breaking the Rules (March 29, 2008)

Though technically not inbounds, the skiing reported on herein is certainly lift-accessed and required no more than a 2-minute hike to get to. The photos are a touch blurry, scenics outnumber action shots and they all rank somewhere in the lower quarter of the gnar scale. We had fun, but that alone does not qualify this as a unique experience. We did ski straight off the ridge for the first time on teles, but this alone does not boost the gnar factor nor the general uniqueness to TR worthy levels.

Nevertheless...

Crowds were low, snow was decent, so we figured we'd make a rare appearance in the tram. Once this was decided upon, it was noted that we'd never skied the Saddle or any variation on the Ridge (other than Pumphouse) on tele gear. What the heck, we thought.

The Saddle was predictably chewed up and showing it's icy, knotty colours, so we proceeded a few more steps to the skier's right.

Mit loving the spring day on the Ridge.

We did a little recon work and figured we'd spotted a couple lines that would go.

Looks good to me.

The first turns were light and easy and reason to smile. Unfortunately the steepening of the slope coincided with a change in surface and soon enough I found myself on nice, solid ice slabs. The side stepping was turning to side slipping and the noise was beginning to hurt my ears. So I threw my faith to a tiny tree branch and grabbed on in the hopes of saving me from the less than graceful decent I would otherwise soon be starting.

It held, so I took some time to contemplate the lovely flex I was giving my Bros. I did not however think to take out my camera to take a picture of the proposed route.

In any case, with baby steps I was able to make my way to the platform we had in mind, which would serve as the beginning of the exit to the apron. Unfortunately, the last five minutes had caused me doubt the softness of the snow below. Usually one could rely on soft, wind-blown powder down there but...

We discussed the situation amongst ourselves and came to a reasonable course of action. We broke off some of the abundant ice and started hurling chunks down to hear the sound.

'Sounds soft,' I ventured.

'I thought I heard a plunk,' Mit countered.

Hmm. A few more ice chunks and the decision was made. A jump-turn off the platform and a straightline through the vegetation and I was home free.

The snowy parts of the landing zones were soft so I took out my camera and got ready for Mit's move.

Mit still has some scratching to do (of course, it's much steeper than it looks).

I suggested the same route as it was pretty straight forward and offered some pleasant wind noises as you rushed though scrub trees and mounds, but Mit had other ideas. A line slightly to skier’s right would give him access to a small pop and a couple fresh turns on the apron. Two problems soon revealed themselves: the fact that in the course of my run I'd knocked off a nice chunk of ice and left him with rock and a slight miscalculation of speed.

Going, going, going, gone.

Not quite the landing he was hoping for, so he hiked back for another go (he had to retrieve his pole anyhow).

Too lazy to hike for a decent angle and too quick on the shutter so this is all I got.

About thirty seconds after taking the lame pic in cloudy conditions, the sun came out. Doh.

The results.

The sun doesn't stay around very long in these part.

Then we skied the rest of the way down.

Claustrophobics need not apply.

A fun day for sure and, I'll admit, the scramble down the Ridge was the most clenched I'd been on skis in awhile. Was nice to feel that and ski out if it again.

So there you go. Hope the rest of you had a decent weekend as well.

d.
    "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Very nice… Looks like a ton of fun.

Forgive my ignorance but is this at Jay?

Quote Originally Posted by gincognito View Post
    I threw my faith to a tiny tree branch and grabbed on in the hopes of saving me from the less than graceful decent I would otherwise soon be starting.
    Boy, that's a classic ridge move. Brings back (mostly) happy memories, thanks D!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    Boy, that's a classic ridge move. Brings back (mostly) happy memories, thanks D!
    a guy named hellfire & damnation had that drop totally dialed when we used to ski there on a regular basis. here look, i found a shot of him with the dial turned to 11.

omg, where did my skis go?

Iz foundz th3m! LOLZ! Theyz und3r snooze!

it never gets old.

Basom coming through with the classic!
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by basom View Post
    it never gets old.
    Sure doesn't.

Thanks for fulfilling the purpose of this thread, basom. I knew you'd come through for me.

(but what's this I hear about you only getting on the skis once this year?)

d.
    "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

As I was scrolling down reading, when I saw a Basom post coming up, I was so hopeful of what it might contain. And he didn't disappoint!!

Mit is offline Con-Coccyxial Concussed
    Basom: Definately one of the all-time best unintentional superman dives ever

Foothills of the VT mountain where it never snows
    As usual, looks like you guys had fun!

Shoulda been there yesterday--then you could have avoided all that overcast and frigid nonsense.
    Raise 'em Jay. And remember: Safety Third!

LetsPlanTrips.com

Our photo galleries

Nice TR and looks like the small hike was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by gincognito View Post
    Thanks for fulfilling the purpose of this thread, basom. I knew you'd come through for me.

(but what's this I hear about you only getting on the skis once this year?)

d.
    you hear the truth. i am not a skier.
    diskoskigrl got the proof of my poor line choice and preference for uphill landings. when you only have one or two days to work with you have to get the flattest LZ's possible. note the grimace on my face in the last pic.

clearly your boots are too fkn tight

Bump for stoke

Missed these additions. Flat landing or not, that's a pretty steezy looking line you pulled off. Your killing it-to-days skied ratio is off the charts.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

...I tried

Hell yeah!!!!

This is one stokerific East Coast pic!

Bump for Basom's scuz-stash.

Also SSD's double ejection pic on this his day of birth.

sweet pics all around!

will you fukn guys look at the grimace on his face?