Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT vs. Werner

AT vs. Werner

So have a potential line on picking up a lightly used AT3 for fairly cheap. Have seen mixed reviews on AT paddles, and was looking for some input on it. I am an intermediate paddler and not too hard on gear. Just looking to get some good gear to learn on so its consistent

Back maybe 5 years ago I bought a lightly used AT3 from a close buddy who was becoming a Galasport dealer. I heard all the same shit about AT3 so i sold it to buddy after 6 river days and got a galasport ... buddy broke the AT3 instead

I found the AT3 kinda heavy, I seem to rememebr it weighing 1260 grams while my lightning & werner straight shaft were around 1000, I could feel it slowing down my stroke rate when I was windmilling to catch a wave .But it did feel OK altho maybe kinda dead but I actualy glued up my gala sport to that spec

Only used stick I would buy is a werner,they are allover the place up here ,usually everybody on a trip has a werner ,I 've owned 2 ...they don't break they just get shorter ,got a sidekick in glass right now

how about new a side kick in glass , 240$ +75$ for a bent shaft ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-25-2008 at 05:57 PM.

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    Get a werner... I've owned three or four AT's, and they tend to break... Of course, it depends on how you paddle and what you paddle. Werner's are a little tougher, although I do prefer the feel of an AT. That said, I paddle a Blue Pool Designs paddle hand-build by a guy named Ferdinand Steinvorth who moved to central america to paddle and he makes them out of his shack/garage... they are sweet paddles. I heard a story that one was run over by a truck, and it was absolutely fine... I've heard bad things about mitchell's, especially for their price.
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

which At's ? I liked the feel of the AT2 over the AT3 and how did they break

owned nimbus capilano/perception harmony/lightning asymetrical/werner rodeo/at3/galasport moto tork bent shaft/werner sidekick bent in that order

NEVER heard of Blue pool designs ,whats its made like/out of ?

I am a big fan of werners. seven two is getting to be a big thing around here, but every person that has bought one has had a blade break off. Every single person. So, that would eliminate them for me. I have had two werner paddles, one that was kind of given to me, after many seasons of use, and have never had a problem with it, aside from it has been used so much the blades are missing about a half inch all the way around from grinding on rocks. I bought the other one brand new, and aside from a couple rock dings, it is still in primo shape.
    backcountry makes my wee wee tingle...
    "What was once a mighty river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It's not wyoming...it's Jackson.
    Different rules apply.
    My Adventures

"Feeling good is good enough."

I have owned three different AT2's, and an ATX... but I must digress... once, I broke an AT2, trying to sweep snow from around the tires of my jeep when it got stuck in a snow drift while scouting Lower Mesa Falls, on Henry's Fork... Oops. I like the feel of the AT2's better than the AT3's, also. The ATX is super powerful. I think I would've liked the soft-flexing better, though. I never got to try one out. The AT's, imho, are shoulder-slaughterers...

I like werner. Thats what we sell at our shop, and I paddle a stikine. I love the foam core blades, they are powerful and boyant....Ive never used an AT paddle but I really do like werner
    -I hate albany-
    ns

If you can get the AT3 for $100 or so, I'd go with that. It's heavier than others, but is a decent paddle. I have broke one so take that with a grain of salt. I currently have an ATX and love the power of the blades and the shaft flex....let's hope it doesn't break. Werner's are tuff and I will probably get one next as they are made an hour from my house. I'd be hesitant in buying foam core though as they are pricey (>$400) and the blades are more prone to breaking.

the AT3 is the only paddle I had (ok buddy had )break in normal use .The gala sport broke in a pour over but I consider that a paddle I broke .

AQ had new seven two's breaking in pool sessions

I forgot all about the Zen water stick I had inbetween the galasport and the sidekick ,nice looking stick ,great backstroke power but It gave me tennis elbow (hurts on top)in both arms ...sold it to a tree planter .The grip is a bit larger than normal so if you got smallish hands (worse if you wear gloves)you end up gripping the paddle ALL the time instead of just having it in your hands .Thats the good thinmg about werner is they have a small shaft option ,put your hand on their sizing template and if your hand fits the middle outline go small or go home... no elbow probs since a winter layoff and switching to the sidekick/ 30degree bentshaft /small shaft

AT3

I currently paddle an AT3, and I have abused the crap out of it for 2 seasons. It has proven to be a durable paddle. I had an AT4 play for 2 runs before I snapped a blade of it. I also have paddling buddy who snapped his AT4 in half while creeking, then went for a very nasty swim.
    -
    The drawbacks of the AT3.... The aforementioned weight issues, which are really only a problem when I'm in a hole and trying to throw ends quickly. Also, it doesn't seem to bite like a Werner.
    -
    If were going to pick any paddle I'd go with a Werner.

Here's the deal. If you paddle with an AT, carry a break down spare in your boat. It's not if it will break but when. I do like the feel of some of my old AT2s over Werners but buying a new paddle every season sucks and AT's warranty dept isn't much better than the durability of their paddles.

I've gotten used to my Werner and really like it now. Plus I haven't had to buy a stick for four seasons.
    Last edited by Conundrum; 03-29-2008 at 07:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Werner. No need to buy a bunch of paddles from AT when only one Werner will do.

$0.02.

Surprised no one has mentioned H2O paddles. I'd say things are probably 40% H2O, 40% Werner and 20% rest around here. I love my H2O bentshaft, comfortable, easy to grip, and super tough.
    __________________________________________________ _
    "Son, when you participate in sporting events, its not whether you win or loose, its how drunk you get." - Homer Simpson

The H2O looks like a waterstcik shaft with different blades ,whats the deal there ?

My arms don't like those shafts

I miss Lightning.

I got a lightning asymetrical about the same time (97 or 98) as a werner rodeo and they were pretty much similar quality,looks like the same shaft ,they never broke ... just got shorter

I miss Whetstone.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    I miss Whetstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I miss Lightning.
    I miss them both. <sheds tear>

However, it does make room for the JimiStyx...

Yeah, Jim obviously makes the very best, but I'll be damned if I am going to take a $600 work of art and smash the shit out of it and take it places where if I drop it I might never see it again.

After all...I have a Pothole for that.

I miss Whetstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I miss Lightning.

Look into Bluepool Designs... bomber paddles, made by Ferdinand Steinvorth out of Costa Rica. They have a little less power than an AT, but are a similar feel, and much more durable...

Remedy

Although slammed above, Mitchell has worked out the kinks on a synthetic stick -- the Remedy. You can get it in carbon shaft (torx or straight) or wood (torx, yes torx wood or straight). Anchors like nothing else, but 8 layers or carbon, full urethane edges (Brunswick bowling balls mix) all in 34 oz. It's worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by niyaeva View Post
    Although slammed above, Mitchell has worked out the kinks on a synthetic stick -- the Remedy. You can get it in carbon shaft (torx or straight) or wood (torx, yes torx wood or straight). Anchors like nothing else, but 8 layers or carbon, full urethane edges (Brunswick bowling balls mix) all in 34 oz. It's worth a look.
    The Remedy is a nice paddle, definitely worth a look, and it is powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by NlytendOne View Post

However, it does make room for the JimiStyx...
    hoe long does it take to get a jimi styx ,isnt there a long waiting list ?

back when the can dollar was low they were also alot of $

Not sure what his current backlog is, but he generally can get them out in 3-4 weeks. He charges $550, pretty reasonable for a beautiful customized paddle.
    www.jimisnyder.com
    Montani Semper Liberi

Not sure what his current backlog is, but he generally can get them out in 3-4 weeks. He charges $550, pretty reasonable for a beautiful customized paddle.
    www.jimisnyder.com
    Thanks MarsB. Jim's paddles are the best that I've ever used. They are pricey, but sooo easy on the shoulders. If you get one built with the creek shaft, they should last a long time - and the blades don't wear as much as one might think.