Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    not necessarily true. if the kegs are taken care of and the bar has someone cleaning lines frequently and if they are busy enough to go through kegs fast then you are correct, but there are lots of variables there. if the place is slow enough, that keg could have been tapped weeks or months ago.

and you could also be drinking past date old milwaukee for a quarter a keg cup on a wednesday evening at the snow creek saloon in red lodge. it ain't good, but rarely will you find the chance to get that fucked up that cheap.
    True. I'm always wary when I walk into a place and see more than four or five beers on tap. If given the choice in an unknown establishment, I'll take the bottle, if it's a brand I like. Depends on the time of week, also - a busy bar on Friday night will be much fresher than a slow Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Boy, speaking of overrated barley pops...
    After three years in Philadelphia, I will never drink another Yuengling. That shit is sugary and foul. There are many great beers from that area (Yards, Dogfish, Victory), "Lager" is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Schmidt's Gay is irul's first choice in beer!
    So good.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    After three years in Philadelphia, I will never drink another Yuengling. That shit is sugary and foul. There are many great beers from that area (Yards, Dogfish, Victory), "Lager" is not one of them.
    I think Yuengling may be the worst PA beer, I try, but it's hard to avoid around here.

Victory on the other hand is my favorite brewery.

My experience with yuengling was limited, like in a two week 'vacation' at the ex-in-laws-in-Lebanon-limited. Drinking that vs hanging with the q-tips perhaps made it taste good? I also liked the shoe-fly pie.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Did I tell you about the Pabst fueled summit up at Chestnut this weekend? The skiing was the kind of last day buttery goodness that is technically not available to midwestern skiers. All the gapers with skinny skis had to pack it up at around one when the sun baked the piste into lovely mashed potatos. The beer was good too. We could have used a beer expert.
    i'm far from a beer expert. you probably drink a larger variety than i do. i'm a big pale ale fan these days, though. boulevard brewing's (kansas city) pale ale is my fav these days. mmmmmm

and i still don't believe you that it was sunny and melting into that hardpack this weekend. it was cold and overcast and i know it.

Has anybody seen NB Blue Paddle in the midwest or beyond? Inquiring minds want to know. It's my impression that their geographic expansion is limited to Fat Tire, 1554 and Mothership

Jax - Yuengling is pretty shitty, but you're allowed to be sentimental about shitty beer and I'm guilty w/ Yuengling.

xboat - try Boulevard's Lunar Ale if you can find it, I think it's better than their pale. I'm also a fan of their Bully Porter if you like heavier, more bitter stuff.
    Youth is wasted on the young

yeah, we sell the lunar ale. not a huge fan but it's not bad. doesn't seem to be doing too well in our market. we just discontinued kegs and just distribute it in 6pk bottles now.

Quote Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
    Has anybody seen NB Blue Paddle in the midwest or beyond? Inquiring minds want to know. It's my impression that their geographic expansion is limited to Fat Tire, 1554 and Mothership
    new belgium has a very different way of rolling out their products into a new market area. we had only the 22 oz. bottles of fat tire, mothership and 1554 for the first 3 months or so. after that came kegs of just those 3 for about 2 months and just recently started with 6 pk bottles of those same 3 beers. we're supposed to get sunshine, blue paddle, etc. sometime this summer. this is the same way they roll out their beers into all new markets. it didn't make sense to me at first, but am starting to see why....

Fat tire in TN? It's better than moonshine.

I do believe that NB can surpass Gorden Bierch, Sierra Nevada, and perhaps Sam Adams as the top US Macrobrewery of drinkable non-piss beer if they keep up the quality end. And as far as NB brews in Sacto: Fat Tire, 1554, Mothership, Blue Paddle, Sunshine, Abbey, Tripple, Springboard (damn good), 2 below, and Frambozen (wife loved this). Pretty much the full lineup available at Bevmo.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

NB needs to bring back Biere de Mars.

Most of you guys don't remember the day when Coors was not found East of the Mississippi. Had a buddy in college with a father that was a long haul trucker. Brought us back cases of Coors. Just like Smoky & the Bandit.

Now, we get Fat Tire, even as lame as it may be!! Still all good.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by jtq_99 View Post
    NB needs to bring back Biere de Mars.
    Seconded. Best of their seasonal brews, IMO. The newer ones just don't stand up (Skinny Dip kind of sucks, and for some strange reason, tastes to me like reefer. I mean, its a good taste and all, but in beer?)
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

Quote Originally Posted by Tele'ndaboat View Post
    The recipe has changed a great deal since it was first distributed out of Jeff's basement. It has been changed to a beer with much more mass appeal rather than a belgian style amber. That being said NB is probably the most impressive large brewery out there. They are in the top 10 in terms of output for the country and they stil make these really awesome lesser known styles(like the trippel, double etc). They even have a collection of foudres from wich they release a funky crazy farmhouse style ale every year. I have to say, it seems to me like they have done a good job of not "selling out" and are actually using their wealth (gained from fat tire) for good. Just my opinion.
    Yeah, Fat Tire isn't bad, it's just a classic amber (for good and bad).

I agree about the impressiveness of NB. Their commitment to the environment and good causes is impressive, and their beers are pretty good too.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Most of you guys don't remember the day when Coors was not found East of the Mississippi. Had a buddy in college with a father that was a long haul trucker. Brought us back cases of Coors. Just like Smoky & the Bandit.
    I remember. True Coors story as told and retold by my father.

Our neighbor used to bring back to Iowa a trunk full of Coors in his Mercedes when he went to Aspen, which was often since his wifes parents had a house on red mountain. Let us call my dads neighbor Stuck, since that's what we call him.

Stuck was a gearhead in those days, as was my dad to a lesser extent. The two of them had spent the week before Stuck's trip rebuilding his six cylinder Mercedes because it had blown the number five piston a few days before. They tightened the last bolt on Friday night, Stuck drove it around the block for a test drive. Satisfied he bolted the hood back on, packed the car and Stuck and his wife were off for a week of skiing in Aspen.

With no regard to a break in period Stuck tore up the street throttling the rebuilt engine fully, scratching the tires in second gear. This is how he always drove. Everything went smoothly till they hit Vail, where the Mercedes blew the number five piston again. Stuck bought a case of oil and kept course for Aspen. The way the story is told the Glenwood canyon was completely smoked out and the oil completely gone when they made Aspen.

Stuck calls my dad from Aspen with the SOS. My dad packs a piston and gasket kit along with a boxful of tools and ships them to Aspen on a greyhound. Stuck spends the week skiing by day and successfully replacing the number five piston by night finishing up just in time to leave. On the way home they stop in Denver and load the trunk full of Coors because as xboat would say "it was liquid gold" back in Iowa. He makes it to western Iowa where you guess it he blows the number five piston!

Stuck spent his last dime on another case of oil and made it to just west of Des Moines where he finally shucked the transmission from all the vibration. So there they sat at a truckstop with not a penny on them and a trunk filled to the top with Coors.

My old man gets the SOS phone call. He goes next door where he bolts the dashboard back onto Stucks other Mercedes, which he hadn't taken in the first place because it was mad broken in several different ways. Many hours later my old man finally made it over to Des Moines with the backup Benz and a towbar. Upon arriving he expected them to be totally despondent. Instead he found that they were happy as clams and drunk as two skunks sitting in the backseat with empty cans of Coors everywhere.

I love this story. The seventies might well have been the greatest decade
    Last edited by uglymoney; 03-27-2008 at 01:55 PM.

Fat Tire hit my local watering hole today. Headed down after work.

Yeah, I know some of you don't think its primo any more, but hey, its something new for here.

Ken

good stuff. I'll have to get some when I'm back home.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Gladly, send a 12 box.
    What the fucks a 12-box? 12-pack or half-rack JONG!
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that