Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    St. Johns in Sm.

My case was they were trying to get me into surgery ASAP after the injury so that I wouldn't need any sort of graft and they could hopefully reattach the ligaments back to the kneecap. Soo, you take what you can get in that situation. I had already been immobilized for nearly 3 weeks by the time I went into surgery which was on the long end of what they wanted.
    He who has the most fun wins!

I don't know about the calf pain (hopefully not a clot like Buzz had last year), but I had a little discomfort w/ the patella and knee cap.

Here's what my PT had me do: use the V of your index finger and thumb to gently but firmly push down on either side on the top knee cap. Hold for a count of 10, and repeat a couple of times. Should help the patella from catching as you bend your knee.

Man I'm sooo not looking forward to doing this all again.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

i had annoying patellar pain as well...for basically four months post-op. its recently gone away...seems like for good. still gets annoyed when the quads get a good work out. so i think it was mostly related to losing some strength and having things not track properly. good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    The other thing that's holding me back is pretty significant pain in the upper back and medial part of my calf. Anyone else have this experience?
    Like someone is pushing their thumb into your calf really hard?

Go get a blood test to test your INR levels. Your doc and PT will know about this. Sounds like my blood clot, to the T. Fucking hurts right?

Hope I am wrong, but don't wait. I also was told to massage once on Kumitin (sp) to break it up slowly.

I called my doc, they called in a "standing order" for blood work for a possible clot and was told to go into ANY facitlity that did lab work. They pull 2 vials of blood and you go home and wait to hear the phone ring. I did this the SAME day I told my doc of the pain and where it was and sure enough........

You have been wearing a brace to walk around and that is EXACTLY how mine started.

Call now man.

The pain has been pretty much a post-surgery constant; did yours just start all of a sudden? It sounds like yours was a little more localized but the thumb thing sounds pretty accurate- it's more like someone is grabbing the back of the upper calf with their entire hand and squeezing hard.

Yes, all of a sudden it felt like I had a bad muscle pull in my calf, like it was instant. Think mine was from having the brace too tight and going at it for home PT and walking fast.

Check it out and let us know what you find. Good luck!

Definitly call your doc and heve them take a look for a possible clot. Post surgical calf pain is not a thing to mess around with.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
    Definitly call your doc and heve them take a look for a possible clot. Post surgical calf pain is not a thing to mess around with.
    No doubt. Take a page out of my book. Let me know if you need the Hemo recommendation. Dr. Fred has the USC HemOnc division on lock yo.

Seriously, take it from the paranoid son of a conservative Jewish Hemotolgist- don't fuck around with post surgical leg throbing.

Just back from the doctor and- no clot. Although the pain is in the general vicinity of where a clot would form, it is most likely being caused by ecchymosis (a.k.a. all the loose blood washing around and pooling in my lower leg). I can't say I'm surprised, since my calf has long since lost its greenish tinge and now sports a color scheme reminiscent of the cover of Black Sabbath's "Paranoid."

Anyway, the blood should be dispersing over the next week or so. I am pretty annoyed by this all, since it's hindering my PT, but am glad to know that it's not something very serious. Buzz and Vin, thanks, you guys are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    No doubt. Take a page out of my book.
    That was the first thing I thought of, actually.

I had some blood pooling issues as well. After laying on my back for a couple of days, my heel was even bruised and the back of my knee was purple. Feels more like tightness/cramping of the calf, right? The first couple of days after surgery it felt good to have someone just push on my toes to stretch the calf. The doc had me pumping my foot like on a gas pedal, which seemed to help.

good to hear...

definitely get on it with the elevation, ankle pumps, warm bath tub soaks/heat packs/ultrasound and calf/achillies stretching. Some of that stuff and it should begin to feel better quickly.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Thumbs up

Good to hear SSD. Been out and about but was wondering how that all went.

Good to read this whole thread as I'm on day 6 after tearing my ACL. I was in a hurry to have the surgery done but I'm imagining now the logistics of it might need some time to get together. Glad to hear it doesn't last too long though! I'm a little worried about the "one year recovery process" as I just have too many plans for the next year for all that to happen, but then I haven't even seen an orthopedist yet...keep the stories coming so that I know what to expect!

My boss tried to make me choose between my rehab and my job and I told him to go fuck himself and he still didn't have the sack to fire me.

Anyway for the next year make rehab your #1 priority. I had a little bit more serious ski injury than an ACL but I rehabbed everyday and at one point I was working out before work and after work (I did that for about 4-5months). You have to get to at least 80% in the first year after the sugery or you'll never get it all back. It took me about 1 year and 9 months to get about 90%. I think 7 years after the accident I'm about 95% recovered. With the seriousness of my injuries that's way beyond anybody's expectations and it's mostly because once I had the green light to fully train, lift, and rehab I did not fuck around. Seriously you have to switch into a different gear for the better part of a year if getting fully recovered is your goal. It physically and mentally changed me for the better after. It can be gruelling but you just have to get after it every day. Oh and stretching is key too, don't forget to allow for more time to stretch than normal when you rehab.
    Skiah for life

If blood is pooling in your lower leg get high compression surgical socks. I wear them almost every day because my veins never fully recovered from my surgery. They need to be a size so you can pull them up all the way to just below your knee or over your whole calf.

You can buy them ususally at a pharmacy, they should be relatively tight. If your pharmacy doesn't carry them ask your doctor. I highly recommend them, especially for flights or days in the office where you're sitting alot.
    Skiah for life

OK people, I've been feeling fine about the surgery, but between the talk of clots, pooling blood, veins that never recovered, surgical socks, and the amount of time and intensity of rehab, I'm freaking out again. I'm going to be moving across the country, starting a new job as an assistant professor, and on the tenure clock less than 2 months after the surgery. Am I nuts? Should I wait until next spring once I'll be more settled? I really want to have it done now and there's really no good time to have it done in the next couple of years.

No, you'll be fine just adjust your schedule. Either get up early and work out (I hate getting up early but for this I highly recommend it), or work out in the evening. Just ride a bike 1 hour a day every day and strength train at least 3 day days a week, on the off days just do a few basic stretching and strengthing exercises that don't require weights. Always put in a good hard hour a day... and when you can push a little more.
    Skiah for life

No, you'll be fine just adjust your schedule. Either get up early and work out (I hate getting up early but for this I highly recommend it), or work out in the evening. Just ride a bike 1 hour a day every day and strength train at least 3 day days a week, on the off days just do a few basic stretching and strengthing exercises that don't require weights. Always put in a good hard hour a day... and when you can push a little more.
    Skiah for life

Happy birthday, gimp.
    not counting days 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBrain View Post
    OK people, I've been feeling fine about the surgery, but between the talk of clots, pooling blood, veins that never recovered, surgical socks, and the amount of time and intensity of rehab, I'm freaking out again. I'm going to be moving across the country, starting a new job as an assistant professor, and on the tenure clock less than 2 months after the surgery. Am I nuts? Should I wait until next spring once I'll be more settled? I really want to have it done now and there's really no good time to have it done in the next couple of years.
    no! you'll be fine! some people unfortunately have these problems, TONS more don't. i was gimping around pretty good after two months, NEVER had blood clots, pooling veins, or any of this. i was diligent about rehab and icing and taking care of my healing knee but it definitely didn't rule my life. i was back at my desk job 2 weeks post-op and spent 9 hours on my feet working my PT retail job approx. 2 months after surgery, so professoring should be fine as well. don't stress. your body really needs your mind relaxed and chill to help it heal itself.

good luck!

All right, back to back PT and doctor's visit have me feeling pretty good. My strength and definition is looking "excellent" and I'm right where I should be on ROM (125 flexion/-3 extension). The doctor told me not to bother with a brace or anything, and although I am still not supposed to play any cutting sports for another 5 months I am cleared to do whatever I want, as long as it doesn't hurt. This means I'm back on the bike, which I'm stoked about. These are good things. Oh, and my CryoCuff is dominating, fully.

On the more negative side, I am having some problems with patellar tracking- basically, when I fully extend, the kneecap slides up and kind of locks into place. If I just continue my stride forward it pops back down, but mentally that's a tough thing do to. As a result, I'm shortening my stride and not heel striking correctly. We're going to try putting a sleeve-type brace on the knee to see if that helps. It's certainly not an unprecedented condition and as long as I stick with the PT it should improve.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBrain View Post
    I'm freaking out again. I'm going to be moving across the country, starting a new job as an assistant professor, and on the tenure clock less than 2 months after the surgery. Am I nuts? Should I wait until next spring once I'll be more settled? I really want to have it done now and there's really no good time to have it done in the next couple of years.
    You will be fine. The swelling, bruising, etc., are not so bad, really, and the clotting issue is not a common one. It is a majojr surgery, and there will likely be a bump in the road- who knows which one it will be for you, since everyone heals differently and will attempt and undergo different things in their rehabilitation. Who knows, "being settled" could be a bad thing, since once you're in a set schedule it can be hard to make time for PT.

I went back to work, full time, after a week. I can stand and walk and you'd never know I got cut less than three weeks ago. You will be fine.

You're really doing great for under three weeks! The patella tracking issue will most likely resolve itself as your quad strength returns. Patella still moving around okay when you do your mobes?

Quote Originally Posted by Lacy Underalls View Post
    Patella still moving around okay when you do your mobes?
    Mobes? ROM exercises?

Phew, OK I'm feeling better about things again. Thanks Chowdah, ikkin, and SSD - Happy b-day by the way! Hope it's a great one, all things considered. Sounds like your recovery is going very well so that's also worth celebrating!

Funny coincidence is that I got an email from one of my students last night saying she's going to miss class for the next week since she's having her acl and mcl fixed tomorrow. This morning she accidentally left her purse behind after class. When she came to pick it up we ended up talking about the knee issue for a while. Turns out out we've got the same doc. I didn't know much about him but she said he's done surgeries for many UCD athletes (she's on the lacrosse team) and has a good reputation. That was reassuring. She's going the hammy autograft route, but I haven't decided what my pleasure's going to be yet. My next consult is April 22. It'll be interesting to hear more about her experiences once she's back.

Sorry, patellar mobilizations. When your PT takes a few minutes each session and moves your patella up and down and side to side while you're sitting on the table. And perhaps works on the patella and quad tendons a bit at the same time.

Some folks - including me - develop sticky patellas after surgery so doing patellar mobes regularly helps keep things freed up. You can easily do them on yourself although not quite as thoroughly as a PT can. Talk to your PT to see if he recommends you adding them to your home PT protocol.