Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    SSD, I`m glad to hear the surgery went well.Good luck with your rehab.

Quote Originally Posted by connersw View Post
    This is the most important part to getting your stride back so be sure to start working on it now.
    I didn't have full extension going into the surgery so it's an even more difficult path for me now. Should have "prehabbed" ROM a bit harder; I was more concerned with maintaining muscle mass. That was a mistake, but at the time I was pretty convinced there was some meniscal matter blocking extension.

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    So far I'm gonna beg to differ. I would rather rehab my shoulder than knee.
    Vibes for what sounds like a rough go, D. I slacked on a shoulder repair about seven years back am not going to make that mistake again. Let me know next time you guys are out down there.

Up to 85 ROM and five "speed bars"* on the CPM. Had a good PT session this afternoon; still pretty shocking how tired the good leg feels. Lots of the ROM exercises (heel slides especially) are very painful at first but after bearing down hard and gutting through the first set they feel great. Did most of my walking around the house sans crutches, felt pretty solid.

TWINS, when we're killing it next season you'll be able to say "I saw that guy tear his knee up bad less than a year ago," and I'll be able to say "Attempted photoslutting for that dude killed my knee." You going to the Mammoth mini? We'll have to drink extra for comish.

*Not an actual term
    Last edited by Steven S. Dallas; 03-24-2008 at 11:19 PM.

Damn, walking. Now that is a concept. I'm at least to hobbling on one crutch and probably not tooo far from walking, but definitely no walking yet.

No Waterfront this Friday, but likely thereafter if the weather stays nice...

Tour de Strand though is May 16th... I have to be riding a bike by then. One of the best days of the spring/summer for sure!
    He who has the most fun wins!

We will toss back a few at the Mini while celebrating your repaired stick.

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Seriously though, bad year for SoCal mags. SBDT, what skis were you on out of curiosity since I know SSD and I share that piece, although from your story I'm pretty sure they were different.
    I was on my 4frnt MSPs.

I hate to hear about your ROM issues, Doug. I just saw the bone doc this morning, and he basically told me that I have to look at recovery as a longer process than I had originally planned. Not sure if it applies to your situation, but he was putting "back to status quo" in a one-year time frame, and 50% weight on my bad leg at about 3 months. That was all a bit shocking, but he basically said that because I'm athletic, I'll be inclined to become frustrated. As such, he suggested looking at a complete recovery to be a one-year thing. However, he did clear me to do more with my knee than I had been to this point. Hang in there, mang.

You hang tough too, SBDT. I'm only a couple days in but it's apparent to me that I've already made the most dramatic progress I'm going to make, and from here on out it's going to be degree by degree, millimeter by millimeter, for a long time. Shitty, but then again, shitty it all happened in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by SponsoredByDuctTape View Post
    As such, he suggested looking at a complete recovery to be a one-year thing.
    This was what I had planned on- 6 months before being able to get back to athletic activity, a year before being back to where I was. I just had the simple ACL tear with some menisceal damage, though, no damage to the tibial plateau or other structures.

On the rehab front- I stopped taking the Vicodin night before last and yesterday was tough. Not because of knee pain, though. I woke up with a splitting headache and a wretchedly fucked-up stomach, which persisted throughout the day; pretty sure it was straight-up withdrawal. Not at all stoked to hit the PT but by the end of the day I was right enough to throw in Walls and 1999 and spend a few hours doing leg lifts and extensions, and then actually leave the house (!) and head over to El Coyote for dinner. Walking without crutches, to Ms. Dallas' concern; I think I could probably walk with a little more extension but it's hard to trust the thing.

Pictures! Totally bloody and gross. No pics of the discoloration around the knee (those are on a different camera), but the medial side of my knee is all kinds of green and purple. It's pretty sweet.

It's not that I didn't trust the doctor... but you can never be too careful.

Alarming blood leakage from the "pain pump."

Pain pump! Fucking gross, and probably worthless.

I was a sweaty feverish achy mess when i got off the vicodin, that stuff is down right lethal, and its backs you up like a dump truck.

Get on tylenol, try some glucosomine, my trainer has me taking supplements since the day of surgery called Nutriex Sport. It works helps the pain and the nergy which you will need....

Geez Louise what a mess! Damn. I'm glad I didn't suffer through one of those pain pump things. I had the femoral block which was great except I couldn't walk for 24hrs till it wore off cuz it performs a virtual quad-ectomy on you.... But on the other hand by the second night I was just using a small gauze pad and an ace bandage and just taking one percocet per day to go to sleep.

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..

why, why do i read this stuff?

is it too late to cancel? postpone? just live without an ACL like a couple of people i know that ski?

The pain pump pics are freaky...I had one and it was my saving grace and never leaked a drop. Maybe it was because they inserted it into the suture from my patellar tendon donation and they did a nice job closing that.

Good luck on the recovery trail.....if it helps your spirits i was doing long mountain bike rides at 2+ months and skiing groomers at ~4 months. I did a bunch of summer and spring touring that year as well. I dont think the doc would have liked it much though.
    let your tracks be lost in the dark and snow

Man, I didn't realize you needed the whole recon. I think I've probably posted everything I know about this stuff here over the past several years, but email me if you have any questions--I've been through two of these and am set up for number three on May 1. Actually, reading this thread refreshed my memory (not so good, in some ways) about what it was like. That does seem like more blood than I had with either of mine--I didn't have a drain outside of the hospital, either.
    Work diligently on the ROM, if you don't get it back in the next few months it's likely gone for good. Also, I think you can be back to where you were, for practical purposes, in about six months--regaining all the muscle mass may take one year, but that might not affect your activity. Do exactly what the doc/PT says (you probably know that).

You're still my favorite skier.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Woodlandclown View Post
    why, why do i read this stuff?

is it too late to cancel? postpone? just live without an ACL like a couple of people i know that ski?
    No. Keep reading, and get it done. I was super-freaked out too (go back to p.1 for proof) because I just didn't know what it was going to be like. It wasn't pain that had me concerned, or blood, or any of that stuff, it was just fear of The Unknown, and annoyance over the inconvenience of it all. Well, it's not that bad. There are things I'd rather be doing, for sure, but it's less painful than the injury that caused it (by a long shot) and getting around isn't that bad at all- I can walk pretty well already, and I'm only 5 days out.

A few days ago I was confident I'd get full flexion back but was worried about extension. Today I feel the opposite- heel slides not going all that well, where leg extensions were very good. I think it's just going to be back and forth like that for a while. One thing's for sure, though- the passive flexion of the CPM is not the same as actually getting down and pulling your heel back yourself. Up to 105 on the CPM, though, which is good. Also, I kind of caught myself walking normally (!) earlier, not really thinking about it at all. So that was pretty awesome.

Dex- you're my favorite stay-at-home defenseman.

Heh, stay-at-home defenseman has taken on a whole new meaning since I tore the ACL and have...had to stay at home (except for skiing, which has worked out fine for some strange reason).

Don't make too much (or anything at all) of where you are with ROM right now, and what's easier/harder. In two to four weeks the numbers will be more meaningful, I think, and you'll enjoy all the fun of gaining back ROM degree by degree. Personally I think it's extension that's toughest to get back fully just because it's easier with heel slides and other exercises not to push extension as much as you do flexion. When they tell you to start leaving your foot up with nothing underneath the knee (or even some weight on the knee to push it down) make sure to do it because that will restore the extension.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    No. Keep reading, and get it done. I was super-freaked out too (go back to p.1 for proof) because I just didn't know what it was going to be like. It wasn't pain that had me concerned, or blood, or any of that stuff, it was just fear of The Unknown, and annoyance over the inconvenience of it all. Well, it's not that bad. There are things I'd rather be doing, for sure, but it's less painful than the injury that caused it (by a long shot) and getting around isn't that bad at all- I can walk pretty well already, and I'm only 5 days out.

A few days ago I was confident I'd get full flexion back but was worried about extension. Today I feel the opposite- heel slides not going all that well, where leg extensions were very good. I think it's just going to be back and forth like that for a while. One thing's for sure, though- the passive flexion of the CPM is not the same as actually getting down and pulling your heel back yourself. Up to 105 on the CPM, though, which is good. Also, I kind of caught myself walking normally (!) earlier, not really thinking about it at all. So that was pretty awesome.

Dex- you're my favorite stay-at-home defenseman.
    I know--I was kidding! I will keep reading--its so helpful! I am just really starting to freak out! But, its helpful to hear your progress, definitely. Your knee was pretty swollen going into surgery correct? Was that an issue? I was thinking this weekend would have to be my last skiing, but maybe I could squeek out another day next week, considering surgery is Monday the 7th? Skiing does make my knee swollen. But, it looks like there is a warm up and I need a spring day on the hill! My birthday is the 5th, I cant imagine me sitting home while everyone else is out skiing adn tailgating and having fun

IYour knee was pretty swollen going into surgery correct? Was that an issue? I was thinking this weekend would have to be my last skiing, but maybe I could squeek out another day next week, considering surgery is Monday the 7th? Skiing does make my knee swollen. But, it looks like there is a warm up and I need a spring day on the hill! My birthday is the 5th, I cant imagine me sitting home while everyone else is out skiing adn tailgating and having fun
    It was maybe a little bit swollen the night before, because I had tweaked it earlier that evening (turning around to hit the walk signal button on a streetlight ). I iced it down and it seemed to be fine the next day. If I were you I'd be very cautious about going skiing that close to the surgery date, especially if it's a warm spring day where the snow will be wet and grabby- that sounds like potential trouble to me. You should just talk to your doctor and ask about whether he'll still do the operation if you're a little swollen- tell him you want to do the Walk for Hunger or something. I hear you on the "sitting home while everyone else is out" thing- I had to to bag a Silverton/cat skiing trip; I was thisclose to convincing myself that I'd be good to go, but then my knee blew up after a day of groomers at Mammoth. My buddies were pretty nice about not sending me text messages about how sick it was, but not nice enough... Assholes.

It was maybe a little bit swollen the night before, because I had tweaked it earlier that evening (turning around to hit the walk signal button on a streetlight ). I iced it down and it seemed to be fine the next day. If I were you I'd be very cautious about going skiing that close to the surgery date, especially if it's a warm spring day where the snow will be wet and grabby- that sounds like potential trouble to me. You should just talk to your doctor and ask about whether he'll still do the operation if you're a little swollen- tell him you want to do the Walk for Hunger or something. I hear you on the "sitting home while everyone else is out" thing- I had to to bag a Silverton/cat skiing trip; I was thisclose to convincing myself that I'd be good to go, but then my knee blew up after a day of groomers at Mammoth. My buddies were pretty nice about not sending me text messages about how sick it was, but not nice enough... Assholes.
    I actually called today to see if I could postpone my surgery another week (tee hee)--but unforuntately they are now booking into June. This will be my last weekend hurrah. I suppose I should be happy that I have been able to ski at all. My doc understands the skiing thing though. he is the one who told me I could, as that is what he did when he tore his acl. Hes on vacation right now, he doesnt get back until the day before my surgery. I hope he has a nice restful time. hopefully he wont get dicked over by an airline or lose his luggage or anything. I can really only ski one day in a row. Cant imagine a ski trip.

One more picture... the bruising on the medial side of my leg. This is actually the most, and basically the only, area of pain, and it's pretty bad. Why it's so banged up I don't know (it's probably just seepage from the area of the operation).

One more picture... the bruising on the medial side of my leg. This is actually the most, and basically the only, area of pain, and it's pretty bad. Why it's so banged up I don't know (it's probably just seepage from the area of the operation).

yeah--thats pretty traumatic.

any new exciting updates?

off the pain meds yet?

pooping?

yeah--thats pretty traumatic.

any new exciting updates?

off the pain meds yet?

pooping?
    No real exciting updates, except for my walking, which has really turned a corner in the last two days- I've really been concentrating on getting to 0 deg/full extension, and it shows. Most of the time you wouldn't even know I'd had surgery. Big-boy PT starts on Monday, two-hour sessions 3x week for four weeks. I plan to absolutely go all-out, since there's good odds I'll start to slack a little when left to my own devices. Oh, and I'm up to 110 on the CPM! Only took 5.5 days.

As I said above, the hardest thing about this so far has been getting off the pain meds. Today is the first day I haven't woken up with a splitting headache since stopping the Vicodin three days ago, and my stomach is back to normal (read: poop progress positive). Maybe I'm just super sensitive to that stuff, I don't know, but I wish I had never taken it except maybe to sleep and just dealt with the soreness for the first few days.

I'm probably going to stop updating this daily, since I'll be back at work starting Monday and since it seems like progress will be very incremental at this point. A week seems like enough, anyway. There are a lot of ACL threads in this forum, unfortunately, but I thought this might be a good resource for people who are having a cadaver allograft done, just so they have some idea what to expect that first week. Everyone's mileage will vary, obviously, but I hope this is a good general timeline and provides some insight into what the surgical and post-surgical process is like.

Fuck me. That looks gnarly - but the pump looked the worst. And I'm nervous about a scope to snip out a plica and trim a meniscus...

I read your whole thread; vibes for a speedy recovery and smooth rehab!
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

Parts of this thread, particularly pics and some of the post-op description, are causing me to get cold feet about going through with the surgery. Fortunately, that's offset by all the positive stuff, encouragement from people, and progress of recovery. Definitely going to keep checking this thread. I'm most likely having my knee reconstructed mid-June. Mammoth mini is going to be my last hurrah on skis for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBrain View Post
    Parts of this thread, particularly pics and some of the post-op description, are causing me to get cold feet about going through with the surgery.
    Maybe I should take the pics down...naaah. Remember, that's just from the pain pump, which a lot of docs don't even use. I wanted this to be pretty warts-and-all, I guess I covered it .

Some pre-op tips, just for the hell of it:

-Pretty obvious, but have a comfortable place set up where you can run the CPM, watch TV, use the computer, etc. We have a sectional in the living room that's done the trick nicely; you probably don't want to have to spend all day in bed- that'll get uncomfortable.

-Get some crappy or dark-colored sheets to cover your lounge spot and for your bed. There will likely be some bleeding; I've already trashed some nice linens. Oh well.

-Mesh/lacrosse shorts are your #1 wardrobe item. Ms. Dallas has long wondered why I have about 15 pairs; it's just for occasions like this.

-This is post-op, but- get off the heavy drugs ASAP, or just try taking half a pill. That shit is poison.

-Always plan on having major surgery during the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament. Awesome.

Glad things are going alright with the recovery. Keep the pics, I love that shit.

Good pre-op tips, here is one more:
    --make sure you get a "IceMan", it is a cooler which attaches to a knee pad for serious icing horsepower.

So, my pain ball thing didnt bleed at all, not a drop. That said, I also learned that it didnt work at all (4 days post op it had not deflated and the doc said it didnt do anything).

Yes, drugs are bad. I took one percuset (sp?) and puked while being driven home.....didnt take anything else (just the Iceman).
    Donjoy to the World!

wow, those pics are crazy. not to make you feel worse, but to make everyone else (woodland, skirain) feel better, i had a cadaver allograft too and my leg looked nothing like yours after my surgery! i didn't use a pain pump, whatever that is, but i had no bruising on the shin, no bloody yuck yuck (no bleeding at all, actually), nothing really. just some scabs under surgical tape and a bit of swelling. not much pain either. just in case the pre-op folks are getting nervous...its nothing to be scared of, promise! i remember going into it- it seemed way worse (and way more dramatic) than it actually is. YOU WILL ALL BE FINE! check my allograft report thread for more info, and good luck!

anyway, sounds like you're doing well overall, minus the gnarliness. second the shorts comment. comfy mesh shorts are the best thing ever for post knee surgery! also second getting off the drugs asap...they usually prescribe WAY more than you actually need.

have fun with rehab!!
    Last edited by ikkin; 03-28-2008 at 01:22 PM.

I like all your tips, minus the NCAA tourney--for me, I'd rather have a lifetime TV movie marathon or something.

I am definitely going to try to tolerate as much pain as I can and get off those meds. A glass of wine and motrin for moi! Hell, its a week off I can drink wine in the am if i want to!

Reading all of these posts on here has REALLY helped. Its really the unknown that is most frightening. I feel pretty good about going in and excited about using this opportunity to get into kick ass shape (and lose the 7 lbs I just gained from quitting smoking--I say as I shove a penut M&M into my mouth! )