Thread: PWS tour

PWS tour

A friend and I are planning a trip from Valdez to Cordova. Neither of us have done much in a kyak, but determined to go. Figure it is about 110 miles. Not too sure about how many miles we would be able to do in a day, I'm guessing about 40. The planning has only gotten as far as looking into how long it would take and kyak rentals. Thinking of taking the dog too.

Any advise would be appreciated.

You could do 40 miles a day, in perfect weather. Plan for about 20 to 30 a day. Who know what the weather will do once you set out, especially in coastal waters. Do you have knowledge of local currents and tides? These could drastically effect distances.

The weather is what I am concerned about. It is so unpredictable around here. I figure to be prepared for sun, rain and wind. 30 miles would be good, 20 would just take too many days, unless we took the ferry back. I got the tides listing and talking to the owner of a local fishing charter re: conditions. Still up in the air about taking my dog. I think I'll do an overnight test run this weekend. He loves the water, but only swims if he absolutely has to.