Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Originally posted by AntiSoCalSkier
    I've never been to Marseille, so I can't comment on it, but if you want a nice quiet seaside village, Golfe Juan was where we stayed, and it was a small, friendly place. I think our hotel went for about $75/night and it was just a few blocks from the beach. If you want more info, PM me.

Yeah the Golfe Juan, that's right near where we stayed in Antibes, very cool area, you won't be disappointed. Don't go to Marseilles, go to the Golfe Juan area, you will love it. We ordered some paellae there and they brought out all this fish and shellfish for us to pick from we picked all the stuff we wanted, they cooked it up, took about 45 minutes, but man was it worth the wait.

oh yeah and it's the de Orsay, not the Dorsey, but you get the point.

Hey, Ireallyliketoski!!
    Oh yeah, then why are you snowboarding.

Rent some bikes and do some vineyard hopping. Pack a lunch, drink wine, see the country side, etc.
    Skiing Sucks! What a stupid sport!

SO, why the hell hasn't anyone pushed thier nose into Antisocal's business and asked "whats up wioth the wife divorcing you on the honeymoon"?

--You already stated it, lets hear the gory details.

Marseilles is what I'd say the French equivalent of Los Angeles, except maybe a bit more ethnically overrun. Not diverse, but there's a whole lotta Arabs - Tunisians, Algerians, Morroccans, etc. My memory of the area is that the Arab majority there didn't seem to happy, there was quite a bit of ethnic strife. I think the Marseilles Gendarmes and Police riot squad work overtime there.

That said, it is a nice area. I lived in a town called Istres, which is about 60 km to the north. Just on the other side of a very large lake, the Etang de Berre. the counsensus on Nice is somewhat correct, but Nice is generally the tourist trap (then again, there IS a reason the tourists go to Nice). Be sure to go check out Monaco/Monte Carlo, that place is awesome.

If you stick it with Marseilles, no big deal, just go north. There's a neat town called Miramas not too far away, and an older growth of it called Miramas-le-vieux, which is encased in a castle high on a hill. It's pretty neat, lots of neat restaurants up there, and the view is breathtaking. In town there's some roman ruins, and an ancient aquaduct that I think used to run south to Massilia (the Roman town of Marseille).

Other things to see, for sure - Avingnon, and the Papal Palace. Pope used to live there. there's also that world-famous Avingnon bridge. If you go to Arles, there's a whole lotta Roman ruins, including the amphitheater featured in a shootout in the film 'Ronin'. Nimes is another old roman town, with a famous aquaduct nearby. Finally, Les Baux is cool too, it's an old, derelict castle built up on a hillside. Neat to see, 'Ronin' also went through that region. they mine Bauxite there.

Finally, there's a neat midieval museum in the castle in downtown Salon; the castle at Carcassonne is in incredible shape; and the Palais des Invalides in Paris is a must-see as well.

Lotta information, sorry, but have fun. I loved living in Provence, one of the coolest things I've ever gotten to do.

I'll vote for Niece over Marcelles.. It was way nicer, also there are a few sand beaches here and there...

bring bug spray... they have those little tini musquatos that absolutely devour you.

ps, sex in the med not such a good idea...........

Leave your Niece alone, you weirdo.

Board, here's something that you won't see everyday - The catacombs in Paris, where they artfully stacked millions of bones in the late 18th century when the cemeteries were emptied to make more room for the expanding city. Very creepy and cool. Bring your camera.

https://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...l_cat8%7E0.jpg

And, I dare say, the F1 Grand Prix might be happening in Monaco when you're there. I don't know if that's good or bad, but if you get free tickets, have fun!

if you're looking for peaceful and stunning landscapes, 2 things you MUST see in the Marseille area (the second best city in france following Toulouse ) :

-Les Calanques, very few people in may, it's a national park, well, photo will tell you much more than words : calanques
    you can bath here, enjoy the sun, have a picnic break in a beautiful place. Go to Cassis also, expensive but very nice "typical" (read also "touristic") village.

- Les gorges du Verdon, it's about 100km north of Marseille, in Provence, the roads to get there are wonderful, and the place is just, well look by yourself.
    It can be on your way to wineyards, or grenoble, and full of typical villages.

If you need help or advices once in France, let me know (I live in Toulouse, got a lot of friends in Marseille).