Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

First thing this morning I made a flyer with a pic of the bike, details, etc. I'm just waiting on Gary Fisher's Warranty dept for the serial number. Don't be like me, be sure you write this down and keep it in a safe place.

Anyway, I gave one to the sheriff and I'm going to take it to all the bike shops in town.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

So this thread got me thinkin, I should find my serial number on my bike and record it. But I can't find a friggin serial number! Are they supposed to be somewhere I can find it?? Me feel like MTB Jong alluva sudden.

Originally posted by altagirl
    One of the guys we ride with had an AC2 stolen a couple years ago and the idiot who stole it brought it in to the shop where it was originally purchased for repairs.
    I was working in a shop years ago when one of the mechanics put a bike in the repair stand. He stepped back and called to one of the other mechanics "Bob, come take a look at this!" Bob takes one look at the bike and removes seatpost . . . . sure enough, his name and numbers are inscribed for all the world to see.

Bob called the police. Then he called the new owner and made up an excuse for him to come down to the shop. It was a lovely reunion for the bike and its true owner. It was the beginning of an equally beautiful relationship between a thief and the law.

Learn from the lessons of others:
    Put your name on the seatpost.
    I've also seen people put their info on a piece of paper and stuff it into the seatpost.
    Take photos of your beloved bike(s).
    Write down the serial number and put it in your toy file.

Sorry about your bike Arty.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Originally posted by InspectorGadget
    Learn from the lessons of others:
    Put your name on the seatpost.
    I've also seen people put their info on a piece of paper and stuff it into the seatpost.
    Take photos of your beloved bike(s).
    Write down the serial number and put it in your toy file.Sorry about your bike Arty.
    Thanks! And thanks especially for all the advice. I also just remembered that I have a set of alpha/numeric dies. My next seatpost is getting that treatment.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Originally posted by Telenater
    VPFree....
    That bike looks saaaweeeet!!! The reviews I've seen say it's a slow climber though. And while not the fastest uphill, I love to climb. Supposedly it's kick you mom in the head sweet downhill.

Also it's $$$. A Heckler would probably be a better bike for me. I'm gonna demo some stuff when I'm down in Pasadena this weekend. I found a store with Turners here in Tahoe and there's lots of other stuff around town too. So many choices. Oh well. I'm kinda resigned to getting a new bike now. It's gonna take me a couple of weeks to decide anyway. If my bike doesn't show up by then, I'll know it's time for a new one.

Thanks again everyone for the well wishes and great suggestions. I've got a lot of homework to do on all these bikes now.

One more suggestion, Yeti AS-X.

Originally posted by Arty50
    I also just remembered that I have a set of alpha/numeric dies. My next seatpost is getting that treatment.
    [May be stating the obvious]

Don't get carried away with the hammer and ovalize your seatpost.

Also, be sure to de-burr the edges of your alpha/numeric imprint so as not to score the seat-tube.

[/Lecture]
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Yes. I was thinking about this. I knew my ME Machine Shop class would come in handy one day.

Perhaps scoring my name in the post would be better: cleaner, more compact, etc.

The serial number on my bike is easy to remember.....

SC Tazmon # 182.... yeah, it's old, but it kicks ass for an old bike.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

gettin stuff stolen

What the hell is wrong with people, they can't buy there own gear or just need your bike to support their crack habit. The world is all screwed up, especially people in this country. I am always worried about my rides getting stolen. Yeah like others said, "hopefully you had insurance" and can get a new phatty ride. I do like the 5 spot like others have insisted. And I do have a Sugar 2, but it aint been off the rack in about a year. If you get the insurance mula, spend it on the best bike you can afford, there are all kinds. I just suggest buying good quality parts. I haven't had any bikes stolen but I had a pair of ski's stolen about 10 years ago, I was pissed, but eventually got over it.

arty check it out if you are on a budget

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...threadid=11483

sure you already saw this thread
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Originally posted by Crinkle
    sure you already saw this thread
    What are you trying to say?!

I'm definitely considering that one. I'm going to do some looking today and fondle...uhh...I mean...demo a couple of bikes this weekend.

Originally posted by Arty50
    What are you trying to say?!

I'm definitely considering that one. I'm going to do some looking today and fondle...uhh...I mean...demo a couple of bikes this weekend.
    well, how did the molestation, ahem, I mean test rides/window shopping go?
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Meh...so far. I rode a Gary Fisher Cake yesterday. Not my favorite bike. Admittedly, the frame was a touch too big and the tires sucked serious ass. I ate shit on a bend in a sandy fireroad cause they had no edge grip. I also fell off a narrow section of the singletrack for the same reason. Why do such expensive bikes come with such shitty tires? It's like buying an Armani suit and getting a free pair of $2 Kmart shoes with your purchase.

Honestly though, I won't be getting a Fisher again. I've heard that they've had some durability issues. Don't get me wrong, they're good bikes. Just not great. And I had a lot of little problems with my Sugar, namely with the driveline. Some of it was my shifting, a lot was bad design. Reading the mtbr. com reviews, you'll see a ton of people talking about chain suck. The Cake wasn't much better yesterday. No thanks.

Today I'm going to fondle some Santa Cruzes. When I get back from Mexico I'm going to drool over some Turners. So it'll be a couple of weeks at least before I make a decision. Attempting to surf should take my mind off it in the meantime.