Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Building a DH Bike

Question Building a DH Bike

So I cannot afford to buy a mountain bike this year. I sold my Kona to G Liddy last fall and due to being a home owner and needing one more summer of home improvement, I cannot afford to buy a nice bike in one swoop. So I've been thinking about piecing together a DH bike, piece by piece, using whatever parts I can get. Anyone done this? I know piecing together a bike with newish parts can end up being more expensive but I was hoping that after buying a DH Frame/fork used on MTBR or something like it, I could use old parts for the rest since weight is not a problem.

Anyone have any recommendations on frames, forks, etc? Input? High fives?
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Buy my 07 Kona Stab Supreme for $2500.

Oh yeah, high five for dh bikes.
    "It's too bad that a lot of people have never experienced the feeling of rollerblading in the cool air of a summer evening"
    TheQuietStorm

I'll send a fiver!

Saw this the other day in Boise. Not mine and I don't know much about Atomiks but it's cheap.

http://boise.craigslist.org/bik/594707093.html

If you are parting it together, I have some DH scraps I can send your way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

hmm, interesting...I might be interested in selling my Knolly V-Tach if you were interested. What price point, would make you....interested?

Shoot me a PM if this sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    hmm, interesting...I might be interested in selling my Knolly V-Tach if you were interested. What price point, would make you....interested?

Shoot me a PM if this sounds interesting.
    Interesting? Yes. But I am poor so I doubt it's interesting to you.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    So I cannot afford to buy a mountain bike this year. I sold my Kona to G Liddy last fall and due to being a home owner and needing one more summer of home improvement, I cannot afford to buy a nice bike in one swoop. So I've been thinking about piecing together a DH bike, piece by piece, using whatever parts I can get. Anyone done this? I know piecing together a bike with newish parts can end up being more expensive but I was hoping that after buying a DH Frame/fork used on MTBR or something like it, I could use old parts for the rest since weight is not a problem.

Anyone have any recommendations on frames, forks, etc? Input? High fives?
    That's pretty much what I've been doing this winter. Figured spending $1k in airline fees hauling my Demo back and forth between UT/OH all summer was a stupid idea, plus the potential for breakage. So I snagged cheap parts where I found 'em, picked parts out of my own used bin, and am pretty close to being ready to cobble something together for OH/east coast DH this year, and next year until July when we move back west. Just pick a frame first so you know things like ISCG type, seatpost diameter, axle width, etc. It's doable on a budget for sure.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

I've been collecting parts since last year for a hardtail build. The beauty of not being in a hurry is that you can wait for really good deals on parts.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I built my Bullit last year for under 1000.00

I got hooked up here, found some pricepint bargains, and traded parts locally,

There are a few 1000.00 DH bikes out there that can be found,

I'm pretty impressed with my Bullit, it's not a full-on DH bike but it suits the riding I do pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChief View Post
    I built my Bullit last year for under 1000.00

I got hooked up here, found some pricepint bargains, and traded parts locally,

There are a few 1000.00 DH bikes out there that can be found,

I'm pretty impressed with my Bullit, it's not a full-on DH bike but it suits the riding I do pretty well.
    Perfect! Where'd you get the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I've been collecting parts since last year for a hardtail build. The beauty of not being in a hurry is that you can wait for really good deals on parts.
    I did the same thing, finally put it together last spring. Was nice to see a bike sitting where I'd had a frame and boxes of parts!

Rev, as you need parts post here, I am sure you will be able to find a good deal of what you need for free or next to it on this forum. I got a bunch of random shit you can have if you end up needing it.

Will do, Len. Problem is that after completing this project, I'll have to budget in a trip to go riding with the South Lake Crew again!

I've got a cheap 7" 888 for sale. It would work well for what you're trying to do.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

maybe take a look at the demo frame i'm selling? asking price could be pricey for your wants, but make me an offer if interested via ze PM... i also have some hayes brakes w/ 8" rotors i could throw in for free if you wanted the frame...

Wheelworld has '07 Stinky frames for $699. That would be a fun bike to build up. I think they only have xl and bigger frames left.
    http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cf...gId=39&id=4960

Here is a link to an '06 Iron Horse 7.3. You could score the bike for under 1k. It's ridable now, so you can shred now. Then just replace the fork and some of the lesser components as you can afford to do so. You may even be able to talk him down a bit more if he's in a bind.
    http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/bik/602899358.html

My bro-in-law just scored on an '06 7point. The bike is super fun.

From a fellow maggot (cough, cough)

I bought a DHR frame off of dfinn, swapped a bunch of parts off my old build and horsetraded the bullit frame to SuperChief for an avy transceiver and a sleeping bag. And thus the cycle of life continues...

I doubt you'll need go no further than this post. Just sit back, and see what the collective comes up with for ya. Sprocket Rockets is such a beautiful thing.

edit: -and there you go! Woo, pow4breakfast, et al, making the magic happen.
    Last edited by MarsB; 03-12-2008 at 12:09 PM.
    Montani Semper Liberi

How big are you? I have a large RMX frame, Manitou Travis and a few other parts. I've already robbed things off it, so I can't sell it as a complete bike, but if you're interested I would sell pieces of it. I was trying to sell the complete bike for $1000, so it'll be cheap.

See this thread (if you're < 6', don't bother looking at the frame) -

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=111577

Rev, I did the exact same thing with my VP-Free. I couldn't afford to buy the whole bike in one fell swoop, but the frame came up at a price I just couldn't pass up. So I bought the frame in early fall, saved up some cash, and then built it up the following summer.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Thumbs up

God I love Sprocket Rockets.

For the record and for all the nice folks lookin' out for me, I'm 5'11". I usally ride a 18.5" trail bike, fwiw.

L Bullit frame was acquired locally, it may be selling with almost all the parts minus a fork, derailuer, shifter, and brakes and stem and bars.

Time for an upgrade. or WOO I may be interested in the 7" 888 for the Bullit if I have to keep it another summer.

God I love Sprocket Rockets.

For the record and for all the nice folks lookin' out for me, I'm 5'11". I usally ride a 18.5" trail bike, fwiw.
    oooooh, perfect for a medium demo frame. and 5'11" homo sapiens on 18.5" trail bikes say free Hayes brakes are the dog's bollocks

seriously though, hope you find your needs w/in your price range cause going downhill at speed is fun

Okay Kids,

Let me know if you've got a frame for around $400 or a bike for under $1000 shipped. I will be much obiliged and will style you out as a finders fee!

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I've got a cheap 7" 888 for sale. It would work well for what you're trying to do.
    How much?

How much?
    I have it up for sale on some other sites for 300. It's got some ugraded stuff in it that you'd be glad to have.

I've also got a old 7" super T that I'd sell for 200. It might be a little pinner for you though.

How much do you weigh?

Just an fyi, even if you are buying all used. You will ALWAYS save money buying a complete. If you really do find some whole bikes for around 1K, I'd go that route. What you lack, you can slowly upgrade as the budget allows. In the meantime.......you're riding.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I have it up for sale on some other sites for 300. It's got some ugraded stuff in it that you'd be glad to have.

I've also got a old 7" super T that I'd sell for 200. It might be a little pinner for you though.

How much do you weigh?

Just an fyi, even if you are buying all used. You will ALWAYS save money buying a complete. If you really do find some whole bikes for around 1K, I'd go that route. What you lack, you can slowly upgrade as the budget allows. In the meantime.......you're riding.
    Yup...this is definitely the route I'd prefer to take. We're building some FR/DH style trails around here and I can't wait to take advantage. That and a few trips to UT and CA to ride with the other kids.

I'm on the thicker side of things. Currently 5'11" 200lbs but usually drop down to around 185ish by summer time. The amount of sport climbing I'm doing now should have me in shape sooner rather than later. 180 or so is my fighting weight.