A few pics and a goodbye

I spent last week in Utah with my brother and got skunked on storms, but managed to find some good snow... Pictures aren't anything special, no XXXtreme backcountry gnar or huge cliffs, just a couple people trying to have fun with an old camera.

Also, this is last week that I'll be living in NY. I decided that I need to be closer to my family and friends, so I took a different job and am moving to Minneapolis this week. Yeah, the skiing is not good, but I'm going to be a much happier person... I haven't really participated much here over the last year or so, but I've skied and stayed with a lot of you, so I figured that I'd say goodbye.

Now for the pictures...

My brother at Solitude

Me at Snowbird pretending the snow was deep

Turning in the midst of a pillow line thingy

Trying to be slutty

A few days after the last significant snow

Jumping something

At The Canyons. We'd never been there before, it's a pretty nice place... With a little walking, we found good snow almost a week after any significant storm.

Last edited by crashnburn'd; 03-11-2008 at 03:25 PM.

damn. i was hoping to ride some bikes with you this summer. i have access to a huge amount of land in the catskills that a friend owns. there is a large 1920's era lodge, and a mountain. and he wants to cuts some trails. there is a fire road that goes up the mountain. there are seven ATV's, a dozer, a backhoe, and a tractor suitable for pulling giant deadfall. the owner lives in moscow. i was hoping to set up a team of trail builders. honestly, you are the only person i know who i think would actually want to spend a summertime worth of weekends building and riding.

oh well, have fun in minnesota.

Goodbye NY or goodbye TGR? Cuz the latter would suck. Some good riding out MN way I hear...

I'll drop you a line if I ever get up to Duluth with my bike (where the in-laws live).
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

hmmm.... Too bad. Let me know how it turns out. I could probably find a few interested parties to help you.

Particle - Goodbye to NY and the east coast. I've been more or less a non-participant here recently, but I'm not leaving.

Hey, Welcome back to MN! I know the skiing leaves a lot to be desired but you're showing up at the right time of the year for what we've got. Wakeboarding season is just around the corner!

There's a great group of Maggots here, we don't get together too much but when we do it's ususally a ton of fun, search the Midwest Avi class from Oct. If you're into or want to get into rock climbing shoot me a PM, we'll be out at Taylors Falls quite a bit this summer, let me know if you need a harness and shoes and I'll throw an extra in the truck.

Jay
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

One last question, is the "Jumping Something" picture at Solitude? If it is I have a picture of me jumping off something that looks a lot like that back in 1986.

Jay

You should get into flying floatplanes...because MN is heaven on earth for that.

Quote Originally Posted by mnflyfish View Post
    Wakeboarding season is just around the corner!
    I was actually talking to my brother the other day regarding the fact that we (or I maybe) need to buy a boat. My parents live on a lake, but I haven't skied or wakeboarded since I started college and my dad sold our boat. Granted that was only about 5 years ago...

That picture is lookers right of Gad 2 at Snowbird.
    Last edited by crashnburn'd; 03-11-2008 at 04:14 PM.

Just focus on the cheaper and shorter flights to SLC.
    Last edited by truth; 03-11-2008 at 06:55 PM.

No more riding together for us I guess. Good luck on the move.

Bas - Hmmm. No rules and make our own trails with big diesel machines. Doesn't sound bad...

Quote Originally Posted by basom View Post
    damn. i was hoping to ride some bikes with you this summer. i have access to a huge amount of land in the catskills that a friend owns. there is a large 1920's era lodge, and a mountain. and he wants to cuts some trails. there is a fire road that goes up the mountain. there are seven ATV's, a dozer, a backhoe, and a tractor suitable for pulling giant deadfall. the owner lives in moscow. i was hoping to set up a team of trail builders. honestly, you are the only person i know who i think would actually want to spend a summertime worth of weekends building and riding.

oh well, have fun in minnesota.
    I was talking to mildbill and he says he's signing up for backhoe lessons this weekend. He also said he doesn't have any summer plans and his schedule is wide open.

See ya B.

Don't be a stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by crashnburn'd View Post
    I was actually talking to my brother the other day regarding the fact that we (or I maybe) need to buy a boat. My parents live on a lake, but I haven't skied or wakeboarded since I started college and my dad sold our boat. Granted that was only about 5 years ago...

That picture is lookers right of Gad 2 at Snowbird.
    What lake are they on? If you get out towards Tonka shoot me a PM. We go out a few times a week once the ice goes out.

And like I said before, Welcome back!

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by mnflyfish View Post
    What lake are they on?
    Zumbro, it's just north of Rochester.

Stowe only had room for one guy on gotamas with a red jacket. Sorry to see you go though, buddy.

Sweet pics man. Drop me a PM if you feel like it, we've got a good group of guys that ride and ski most weekends in the spring/summer/fall.

the good news is that you are closer to skiing in the West. it's a lot shorter flt from MN to SLC than NYC. looks like you were able to find some goods from your photos- nice.

B,
    Great skiing with you on the EC, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Have fun in Minneapolis and hopefully we'll get some Utah turns sometime.

Good luck with the move. It sounds as if you are doing it for all the right reasons.
    Nothing better than starting fresh with a new chapter of your life!
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

I grew up in MN. Buy a kite skiing rig, lots of active folks kiting around.

And Duluth is beautiful. Great riding up there.

Quote Originally Posted by stump832 View Post
    Stowe only had room for one guy on gotamas with a red jacket. Sorry to see you go though, buddy.
    My Gotamas were too cracked and scary to ski on this year anyway.