Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bellingham, WA

Bellingham, WA

First of all, I'm 24 and I'm a freshman in college. I was in the Navy for 4 years, just to explain.

Right now I'm attending the University of Colorado at Boulder and I'm not really a fan of it. Being older in Boulder is a little weird since I got all the partying out of my system when I was in the Navy. I don't really like the weather here either, sunny all the time isn't something I'm happy with (believe it or not).

Anyways, I'm thinking about transferring to Western in Bellingham next year. Does anyone know what the city is like and if it's a nice place to live. I've skied at Mt baker numerous times and I love it there.

I lived in Bremerton, WA for 1 year and Everett, WA for 3 years so really what I'm asking is... how does Bellingham compare to Everett, because I hated Everett. And don't worry about the weather... I'm used to it already and I've grown to like it.

Bellingham is not like Everett. At all.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

If you are looking for a great mountain, some overcast days, and a place that is unlike Everett, I would say that Belligham fits the bill nicely.

AlpineJunkie Guest
    I think that would fit the bill for you too. You'll never feel part of the college crowd. I did the same thing as you. It's hard to try to be part of the crowd when the crowd is so much stupidier and immature then you. That's why I don't fit in here as well

There are way too many cute college girls at Western. They distract me from the driving of the bus around in circles when I'm not using sick leave or burning vacation days up at Baker.
    It's expensive to live here and gas is very close to the highest in the country. But on the other hand it's easy to hitch to the mountain and your tuition includes a transit bus pass. The city is growing in an unpleasant manner and Baker is getting more crowded but it is still a pretty good place to live.
    Last edited by fiddler; 03-11-2008 at 03:07 PM.
    In drove this drunken madman and stopped on a dime! Unfortunately the dime was in Mr. Rococo's pocket!

B'ham is a great town. Yes, overcast and grey is the rule, with sun the excpetion.

I am like you, I don't like constant sun, as I am a northwest coastal dweller. I don't know what to do with all those sunny days when I am in Colorado!

B'ham is a fun, and very outdoor oriented town. If you sea kayak you have access to some great stuff. Skiing not too far away, and decent Mountain Biking.

Just don't look for a good-wage job anywhere. Because it is a college town, jobs don't really pay that well.

What are you studying?
    "If it had taken any effort I wouldn't have done it at all. I mean it. I wouldn't have done anything" - B. Kelso

Quote Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
    The city is growing in an unpleasant manner and Baker is getting more crowded but it is still a pretty good place to live.
    Bingo. More apartments, more chain stores, more cheaply built subdivisions, more people clamoring for growth so they can make a quick buck off the cheap subdivisions, lots more crime...it may not be Everett, but unfortunately, it is getting more like Everett all the time.

Baker has gotten ridiculously crowded this season. With the exchange rate, half the traffic is Canadians who used to ski Whistler but find it cheaper to come down here now.

But yes, all in all it is still a good town.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    Bingo. More apartments, more chain stores, more cheaply built subdivisions, more people clamoring for growth so they can make a quick buck off the cheap subdivisions, lots more crime...it may not be Everett, but unfortunately, it is getting more like Everett all the time.

Baker has gotten ridiculously crowded this season. With the exchange rate, half the traffic is Canadians who used to ski Whistler but find it cheaper to come down here now.

But yes, all in all it is still a good town.
    Ditto on all of this. And especially on what was mentioned on the part of the job situation. Tough to find one, and you probably (unless you're really lucky) won't be able to get a decent one, let alone a decent paying one.

BUT that said I've only been here 2 months so far and I'm loving it. Gorgeous place to live, Canada is right up the road, Western is a fine school and you simply cannot beat the access to the mountains. Well, that is unless if you live in Boulder... Ah shit.
    I thought their offices would be strewn with bunny-fucking and condom dispensers, a veritable enchanted forest of cock shafts and twat mist. - JoeStrummer

I'm open option right now, leaning towards Geological Science. I'm not too worried about Baker being crowded, I'm pretty sure the mountains I go to now (Breck, keystone, Vail, etc) will have more crowds than Baker ever will.

I'm glad I'm not the only one AlpineJunkie, it's pretty frustrating being an old freshman... I forgot how immature I was a few years ago.

How long does it take to get to whistler from Bellingham with crossing the border and everything?

edit: oh yeah one more thing, Seattle and the surrounding areas have a ton of military presence. I don't want to see any military personnel for the rest of my life. Is Bellingham far enough away from their bullshit?
    Last edited by fish; 03-11-2008 at 04:58 PM.

Were you on the Lincoln?
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Quote Originally Posted by booner View Post
    Were you on the Lincoln?
    yeah I was... haha how'd you guess? Was it my hatred for the military?

Hmmm, nice to see this brought up. I applied and was accepted to Western straight out of HS, but decided against it for the time being. Now I'm thinking about heading out there in a couple years with an associate's under my belt. Never lived there, but did vacation a little in the area. Absolutely beautiful, best of both worlds: ocean and peaks. Sounds perfect!

I, as well, appriciate any info you guys have on the town!!!
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

bellingham is not really expensive to live in at all...ok, maybe if you are from Kalispell MT its expensive...

i am also 24 and finishing my undergrad degree (next week) i just go to the mountain a lot and dont really relate to the whole college scene, so i wouldn't worry about that. WSU is probably more of a college scene with frats and what not, but there is a lot more to b'ham than the college.

there is no military here at all. i went to high school in bellingham and there was like one ROTC in the whole school.

one thing i really like about b-town is the downtown area is more than just one main street. there is actually a "real" downtown.

thats all i can think of for now....

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    yeah I was... haha how'd you guess? Was it my hatred for the military?
    I was on that shit bus too a few years back
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Can anyone comment on windsurfing in the immediate area? I work in higher ed. and have had my eye on Western for a couple of years now.

I ski, but windsurf, too.

I went to Southern Oregon and Western Washington was in our league. Bellingham is a alot like Ashland which is a great college town in my view. Being in a small college town that is close to two major urban areas (vancouver and Seattle) is cool.

Bhammers, anyone that gets into old Fairhaven and could head down Bayside Road, could you get a pic of the 7th house on the left (so it was 27 years ago) of 113 Bayside Road?

I wonder if our house is still even there?

I would love to move back to Bham. So many fond memories.
    But it also sounds like a lot has changed.

Sorry, that is all I have.

Quote Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
    Can anyone comment on windsurfing in the immediate area? I work in higher ed. and have had my eye on Western for a couple of years now.

I ski, but windsurf, too.
    the windsurfing certainly isnt like it is in bay area or something, but i guess its good enough. personally, i dont windsurf, but i have a few buddies who do and they seem to get their kicks in here in town, and dont bother driving to the coast or the Columbia or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I went to Southern Oregon and Western Washington was in our league. Bellingham is a alot like Ashland which is a great college town in my view. Being in a small college town that is close to two major urban areas (vancouver and Seattle) is cool.
    i also lived in ashland for a year. that was a way cool town. it even has a ski area....kind of i am stoked to have lived in the two "bozemans" of the west coast.

I would like to take a moment to point out that although CO has produced its fair share of morons; the PacNW has to take accountability for AP and Nuq.

Well I got accepted to WWU and I'm moving next month. I'm going to be staying at a buddies place in Arlington while I find a place to live. Any mags know of some rental resources or places I can look to find a place? It's just me and my girlfriend and we're looking for a house to rent for the time being.

I went to Western a while ago (grad 2001) but there's no shortage of cheap rental options. B'ham is pretty inexpensive, at least compared to most west coast cities. If you're trying to avoid the party scene I'd steer away from living north (down the hill) of the campus, that's where most people move to after leaving the dorms. The stuff just south of school towards Hagen and the blue apartments is also full of sophomores attempting to recreate Greek Row.

I lived in an awesome apartment my junior year above Boulevard Park. Right above the water, walking distance to school (about 30 minutes) and fairly cheap. I'd highly recommend that area, along w/ old Fairhaven. Near the water and w/in biking distance of anywhere you want to be.

Since it's midway through the school year you should be able to find some deals, it's not the mad rush of June or September when everyone is scrambling for the next year. They used to have a big advertising board near the complex by the bookstore and bus area. Worth checking out if you're showing up w/ no other options.

Good luck, WWU is an awesome place.
    God created skis and surfboards to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    How long does it take to get to whistler from Bellingham with crossing the border and everything?
    I don't know if anyone answered this. Ideally from Seattle it takes four hours. It can take five with a traffic and border crossing. So, I'd say from B'ham you're looking at 2.5 hours if the stars align. It's somewhere around 130 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I don't know if anyone answered this. Ideally from Seattle it takes four hours. It can take five with a traffic and border crossing. So, I'd say from B'ham you're looking at 2.5 hours if the stars align. It's somewhere around 130 miles.
    The border crossing, Van traffic and construction between Van and Whistler can vary the drive times , but ya between 2.5 and 3 hours usually.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    The border crossing, Van traffic and construction between Van and Whistler can vary the drive times , but ya between 2.5 and 3 hours usually.
    or other days you can spend that just in the border line. If you plan on crossing lots, I highly reccomend getting a nexus pass. $50 for 5 years, and you can bypass the line. I've got one for heading down to my cabin in blaine, and its great.vthere have been days where my order has come in at REI, and I'll drive down to pick it up and get back home in les time than it would have taken just to sit in the line heading down.

ad we drove through the campus last summer, beautiful place.