Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Pete View Post
    .. snobbery is lame in my book, but so is letting cash influence your art ...
    Come on, baby. Cash rules the rap game.

"Money - cash - money - cash - hoes"
    "Damn, people tryin to stick me for my paper"
    "It's all about the Benjamins, baby"
    Get Rich or Die Trying...

I didn't have to think for any of those.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn View Post
    Come on, baby. Cash rules the rap game.
    i mean, it rules everything around me.

Quote Originally Posted by dallread View Post
    that is actually true about the preppy kid info. For some reason, atmospheres lyrics appeal to what the preppy kids really arent. SO everyone whoe likes Atmosphere should try out aesop rock , cannibal ox , living legends , and others. RJD2 has some good instumental stuff with aesop flowing

Aesop Rock is the greatest. Mr Lif is right up there too. I'd have to put Surreal up there as well. Surreal and The Sound Providers might be the best hip hop album of all time!!!!
    Hurry up asshole! (idiocracy)

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Fourth, the title of this thread is retarded coming from a paid music 'critic'. Sure, I like Slug (except for that Sad Clown crap), but c'mon.
    not quite sure what to make of the "paid music critic" barb.

sure, i may make my living writing about entertainment (movies and music), but what does that have to do with anything.

i actually spend quite a bit of money buying music that i never critique, since i fell into this gig by being a music fanatic (actually fell into it as a result of being a DJ on my college station, which came about because I was obsessed with music).

additionally, the core nature of my "job" is to actually turn people on to cool music that they might not otherwise have stumbled onto themselves.

the title of thread was due to the fact that i've been listening to a lot of Atmosphere lately and feel that he's a solid MC and is staying true to the roots of rap music and not following any trends. his flow has improved over the years, his rhymescheme is filled with energy, verve, and creativity, making you really listen to his lyrics, and his beats have always been solid.

bottomline, Atmosphere is a breath of fresh air in a genre that has grown more and more pop oriented and continues to get gummed up in the bling-bling/gangsta-gangsta fall-out.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Rakim
    Hand down, not contest, Slam Dunk Winner.

I take 7 mc’s put em in a line
    And add 7 more brothas who think they can rhyme
    Well, it’ll take 7 more before I go for mine
    And that’s 21 mc’s ate up at the same time

20 years old and it still kills.

I ain't no joke
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu4RM1Iq-wg

My melody

I know you got soul
    Last edited by Lonnie; 03-10-2008 at 01:01 PM.
    This is the worst pain EVER!

fish is my favorite dish

+2

Classical too intelligent to be radical
    Masterful, never irrelevant: mathematical
    Here's some soothing souvenirs for all the years
    They fought, and sought, the thoughts and ideas
    It's cool when you freak to the beat
    But don't sweat the technique

"Cool, 'cause I don't get upset. Kick a hole in the speaker, pull the plug, then I jet..."
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    "Cool, 'cause I don't get upset. Kick a hole in the speaker, pull the plug, then I jet..."
    "Back to the lab, without a mike to grab, so then I add all the rhymes I had."
    This is the worst pain EVER!

slug isnt bad but nowhere near greatest of all time his stuff is good its just not as strong as other guys. i second what chugachjed posted gza is the lyrical genius and has beats that stomp anyone else, lil wayne is fuckin sweet, but if you were addicted to a mixture hawaiin punch and promethazine/codeine youd spit crazy ethereal shit too. check out binary stars, and murs all dope.

Quote Originally Posted by SunCuntry View Post
    I've been listening to them since they started out here (mpls) and they have gotten progressively worse. Sell outs in the underground, if that's possible. If i had a nickel for every preppy ass kid at my school who asked me if I listen to atmosphere I'd have enough nickels for change and tuition. Atmosphere is the Abercrombie and fitch of "underground" hip hop.

So I hung out with Slug today in Austin. He was here doing a listening party for his upcoming new album. He came over while I was taking notes on the album, sat down, and we chopped it up for a good 20 minutes or so talking about random sh!t. After the party I cornered him for an "official" interview and I asked him about the A&F fanboys and what he thought. He had some interesting takes on it.

But I digress...I checked his labels and he wasn't sporting any A&F gear.

Oh yeah, he agreed with me that as an artist you can't choose your fans. You can only hope to influence them in positive ways.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    So I hung out with Slug today in Austin. He was here doing a listening party for his upcoming new album. He came over while I was taking notes on the album, sat down, and we chopped it up for a good 20 minutes or so talking about random sh!t. After the party I cornered him for an "official" interview and I asked him about the A&F fanboys and what he thought. He had some interesting takes on it.

But I digress...I checked his labels and he wasn't sporting any A&F gear.

Oh yeah, he agreed with me that as an artist you can't choose your fans. You can only hope to influence them in positive ways.

seriously if you got to hang with sean and this is all you have on your conversation, that is pretty weak, spill some more details. So what did you think of the new album? Looks like tix are on presale, 2 shows at the ogden theater, i am not going to miss his this time around. ++vibes to you for being in austin

IMO dead on with
    bottomline, Atmosphere is a breath of fresh air in a genre that has grown more and more pop oriented and continues to get gummed up in the bling-bling/gangsta-gangsta fall-out.
    My bad on my earlier post, I posted it while in a coma during a nightshift, of course his first album was "overcast"

funken, ant is really sick as said earlier, i don't think you should quit it, but maybe listen to it again.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

just got back from SXSW in Austin late last night and am headed out to Taos today to get the last day of skiing only.

should have the full Atmosphere interview posted up on IGN early next week (I get back from Taos Thursday, then it's Good Friday and 3 days in Tahoe!).

i just wanted to address the A&F comment first, is all.

the new album is crazy. full band, going for that "cold Minneapolis sound" (Slug's words) in the vein of Prince, Husker Du, early 'Mats. He said he wanted to channel Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis as much as possible, but still have that Du/Mats energy. Also there's a kid's book that goes along with the album. Interesting stuff.

"I'm 76 inches of all the purest sound.....y'all could dig me 6 feet deep my eyes will still be over ground"
    Hurry up asshole! (idiocracy)

Honestly, I've seen Atmosphere a bunch... the show funken is reffering too was OK, not great, definitely not the best I've seen of them.

If we're talking "underground" I have to put Cage, The Grouch, Scarub, eyedea, Aesop, etc. in there...

Gangstarr, Nas, Mobb Deep come to mind when the more mainstream stuff comes into play...

I also listen to a lot of
    Abstract Rude, De La Soul, Del tha Funky Homosapien, J5, Lost Boyz, etc....
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

KRS-1
    Biggie
    Snoop
    Eric B
    Rakim
    Chuck D
    Lateef the Truth Speaker
    Nas
    LL

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    J5, etc....
    Chali 2Na's deep baritone voice is unmistakable. In terms of crossover, Galactic, Ozo, collaborations with many other artists...pretty cool in my book. He's also an incredibly talented painter.

3 pages and no mention of Devin the Dude (but only with Odd Squad)...20 years of buying rap albums and Fadanuf fa Erybody still gets more play in my truck than anything else I've got. I've still got my original 15 year old copy....on its last leg, but extras have been made.

Also, RE: Atmosphere...I still dig the music, but I can see where SunCuntry is coming from. If you grew up listening to him in MSP, its easy to be a little tainted as the crowds have changed. In the 90's an Atmosphere show was underground and full of real fans - he played in my basement in college after one of his many shows at Stout(thats a WI college). Now (at least in Cities) the crowds are filled with enough 18 year old popped collar douchebags to keep me home.

Reminds of me of how J5 crowds rolled over after Whats Golden dropped

^
    like i said a lot earlier: you can't blame an artist for their fans.

i'll be posting an interview i had with Slug (Sean) once I get back from my 14 day skiing bender in Colo and in said interview he will address the whole thing about mainstream Ambercrombie/Fitch fans. His take on it is pretty interesting.

until then...

late finding this thread. love Atmosphere. Love this new song, thanks for the link. is this new album the first new one since "you can't imagine how much fun we're havin."?

Quote Originally Posted by tuffy109 View Post
    did i miss hearing that mf doom retired?
    yup...some of the freshest flows and coolest production i have heard in over 20 years of listening to hiphop...

i need a zantac ock, and thanks before i blank into anafalactic shock

vik vaughn think he call it lickupon?
    Live To Ski!

Just getting into Atmosphere. Solid, but number 1? No. KRS - not even close. Doing it since '86, 20 something albums, still killing it, rapping about shit that actually matters (whether you agree with everything he says or not), and will take anybody in a freestyle battle. And I can't believe no one has mentioned Black Thought, Kool G Rap, Pharoahe Monch, Gift of Gab, Lupe Fiasco - the battle for spots 2-10 is tough, but no one is taking out KRS. "Rippin' the microphone until I'm muthafuckin' 60!'

Last edited by lax; 04-21-2008 at 01:16 AM.
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=932&dateline=12042516  96