broken Dynafits?

i broke a heel pin off of my dynafits yesterday, during a pretty routine traverse. it was a very clean sheer which i suspect might be due to a defect in the pin...but, this is my first season on dynafits and i have become worried about their reliability. (FYI: salewa is replacing the pin for free)

has anyone broken a heel pin before? who carries spare parts, what do you carry, and where can you buy the parts?

thanks!

I know of two people breaking the pins. The alignment of the pin/boot heel wasn't quite right. Might check that out.

tech talk

tech talk indeed.

but why not ask Salewa for some spare parts? I mean, you went to the source for the replacement part, why not ask them?
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

I broke a pin in my second year, they warrantied it and I put another 4 years on it. I put about 10 tour days a year and 15 inbounds days a year on it. I did have some boot issues that I think caused or contributed to the break in the pin.

I think the Dynafit is the most reliable AT binding.

Call dynafit... they are lousy at picking up the phone/returning calls, but once you actually get someone on the phone they have great service, they'll hook you up for sure.

I got an RA from Salewa for a cracked heel piece last week. Sent it off on Wednesday and got it back today. I live in CO, but still that was pretty dang quick.

yeah, sorry about putting the post in the wrong forum. i didn't see the tech talk section (first post on TGR).

good point, i should talk to salewa myself and see what kind of spare parts kit they can source me.

any tips on insuring that the heel unit is mounted properly?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by junkfunnel View Post
    yeah, sorry about putting the post in the wrong forum. i didn't see the tech talk section (first post on TGR).

good point, i should talk to salewa myself and see what kind of spare parts kit they can source me.

any tips on insuring that the heel unit is mounted properly?

thanks!

Just place the boot in the toe piece and check the alignment at the heel. If it is off, pull the toe piece, re-epoxy and tighten to or three screws and pull on the back of the boot until ya get the proper alignment. Tighten the rest, re-check. If you can't get the alignment right with this method, remounting may have to proceed.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair