Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Starting the Whistler Str8line Camp TR...

Too much Crown and beer has been consumed over the last 4 days to really figure out where to start, but someone had to do it. We've had good snow all weekend and some great coaches. Many thanks to Dan Treadway, Eric Pehota, Smily, and of course Str8line!

In between the drunken video reviews and skiing, I've only had time to process a few photos, but here are a few from yesterday, touring with "The Legend", Eric Pehota. I was a little apprehensive about the coaches at the camps at first, not really knowing their coaching background and style, but that is Why I chose Whistler this year instead of the AltaBird Camps. But Eric, as well as the other coaches were awsome. Eric took us on a tour up to Blackcomb peak and DOA. As we were hiking he explained that he normally makes a trip up the peak every year on the date of Trevor's passing. This year he was out of town on other arrangements and today was the first time he had been to the peak since the anniversery date.

It felt surreal being with someone like Eric in such a situation, almost an honor. At first we didn't think we would even get to see the line we were going to ski, but as we were traversing past the axe, Eric reached out, touched the axe and said, "rest in peace buddy". Almost immediately, the cloud deck lifted and we were treated with a few of the most asthelic line I have skied. On with the pics...

Summit Cairn

Strong Group Shot

Lifting the Heavens

Something is Hiding

The Axe

First In

Safe Past the Rocks

Entry

Looking Down the Gut

One More

The Legend

The Students

More Students

Cool Views on the way out

Quote Originally Posted by wintermittent
    And furthermore. What is up with turkey bacon? Healthy bacon? Unpossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite
    That is like masturbation. People resort to it when they can't have the real thing!

Nice pics- you guys REALLY scored with the weather for your camp!!! Thursday was incredible, I had a little Straightline camp experience myself riding with Hugo and his roomies for the day going screaming down couloir extreme and touring off the backside of Blackcomb. Friday would have gotten you guys good at skiing in low visibility, then Saturday was EPIC, eh? Today was alright but the crowds yesterday did quite a number on the snowpack.

I can't wait to see more photos!
    Believe.

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Looks good!
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Pehota is the fucking king.

This space reserved for more pics, most of them of the frivolity which occurred apres. I was too busy trying to keep up to take many on the hill.

It was truly an awesome time. All coaches - Eric, Dan, Smiley, most of all Gordy the fearless leader - were remarkable hosts, guides and teachers. What an incredible treat to ski with and learn from them. Saturday conditions were indeed terrific. Thanks to them, and thanks to the rest of the student crew. Good eggs all.

So last night as we were pulling out of the village a guy walks past my truck wearing a TGR hoody. I asked if he had change for a nickel and he looked at me like I was nuts and said "no".

I'm certain there'll be plenty of commentary, and I hope someone has some more skiing pics, so I'll just get some pics up. I only remember a few board handles from the crew (sorry, but I have holes in my brain where the info leaks out) so feel free to jump in with reminders. We met many other mags on the hill too, whose handles, of course, I don't recall. Some of this will mean nothing to non- attendees, so please forgive in advance.

Friday dawned a bit on the cloudy side.....

Smiley looked a little apprehensive here. Perhaps he found the group disturbing or was it his outfit? Note: when you ski like these guys you can wear any goddam thing you want.

But it came and went, and after a morning of being grilled and video-ed by the Marquis de Gordy, techinical instructor extraordinaire and purveyor of wisdom and pain, we headed off for some inbounds adventure (CVC north) with The Legend (as they call him at W/B, yes really) Eric Pehota after lunch. Super cool guy. He's in the red.

Upon being pressed he pointed out this line that he'd skied....

The wall of maggotdom at lunchtime. DPS's, B-squads, BROs, Bluehouse etc.

That evening as the refreshing beverages flowed quite freely the first thing we did was torment Boris.

....and some more....

Gordy busted out some of his best moves.

Smiley and Gordy had some heated technical disagreements.....

...and then they made up.

We were riveted. Note the two individuals icing their knees and the Brockers against the wall.

Stunt-cok did not have any fun that night.

Nor did Whore-hey and Jason.

Splat stopped by to say hi.....

The condo bar first evening. Wish I'd had the presence of mind to capture the dead soldier count after night 2. Frightening.

Day two, we chased Dan around. Remember what I said about when you ski like these guys.....

Pehota's group coming into The Curl......

Day 3, some of us a bit on the knackered side, we went for a little stroll with Smiley.....

Some hit DOA. Smiley below on the apron.....

A couple others and myself skied the lower-angle but nearly untouched Body Bag Bowl.....

It was a very nice day......

....until this happened in the evening. The spyder-boys (not that there's anything wrong with that)......

....joined by the spyder man himself. Can't think of a better way to end it.

There're more here, not a whole lot of skiing pics though. Sorry: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...p08/?start=all

It was an awesome time, kicked my ass and gave me enough to work on for a LONG-ass time. Just quit calling me Stein for chirissakes.
    Last edited by oftpiste; 03-03-2008 at 12:33 PM.

looks like a great time on the hill, I'd love to sign up for one of these camps in the future. Watching the video analysis with you guys was fun last night, especially the multiple slow-mo replays of sparks wipeout vid!
    ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

bump for oftpiste loaded up some pics (never knew edits don't bump threads up)
    ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

bump for more photos and tr's to come.....

Bizzump for more picts. Get working dudes! We want to see more. Looks killer.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Nice work, folks. Looking forward to more photos.

Whorehey, you're a bastard for attending two camps.

A whole bunch of mags are skiing WB this week so might take a few days to get more goods out of them.

Great start stroupskier and oftpiste.

Quote Originally Posted by PulverSchwein View Post
    especially the multiple slow-mo replays of sparks wipeout vid!
    ya, luckily when my ski shot up like a missile, I wasn't its target on the way back down.

nice

im curious what the story is behind the ice ax
    Live

Quote Originally Posted by skiingsamurai View Post
    nice

im curious what the story is behind the ice ax
    It's there as a memorial to Trevor Petersen who was a good friend of Pehota's. He died in Chamonix in 1996. Good story on Pehota here: http://outside.away.com/outside/maga...9903skier.html

I was really knocked out by how cool these guys were.
    Last edited by oftpiste; 03-04-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Whorehey, you're a bastard for attending two camps.
    I agree,he is a bastard........A lucky bastard
    Waiting for the TMZ video of the 2 a.m. sexcapade.

where is spyder gram??????

That shot is great

Man, where's the AltaBird representation? What a bunch of pansies Looks like you guys had some fun. Hope you all learned how to truly fuck your turns.

as opposed to shitting your turns?

Looks like a great time and successful camp.

Smiley's a good guy. Met him on my first trip to Lenas and those first two laps hooked me on my Lenas addiction.

Looking forward to more pics!

Good to see StroupSkier and Whorehey getting in some much deserved pow.

Well, I just happened to be in the neighborhood and hung out with the camp crew.
    As I warned a week ago, everyone was destined to have a great time.
    I don't know, it kinda looked like everybody was having fun.....

That was a REALLY good time. I don't know how it could have turned out much better. It was cool to have the condo for 4 nights since it allowed us to have a meet and greet the first night and a 3rd night of video review on the fourth night. Great to see all of the maggots beyond just those in the camp. The snow was pretty damn good at times, the campers had some great improvements in their skiing(with Whitehunter voted by the crew as most improved), and the local coaches were great. There were some great video moments, including Boris going off a "Canadian" 15-footer and falling out of the sky in his perfect L-shaped form. We even got a big air exhibition that we could watch from our balcony on Saturday night. Stuntcok got all his gear on to go launch through the burning ring of fire but just missed his opportunity because they shut it down. The wrap-up dinner on the final night at Rick's was great too.

Thanks to all of the maggots who helped out in one way or another throughout the weekend.

I'm going to check into getting the same condo for next year and doing a repeat.

Can I go ahead and send in my deposit for next year to save a spot?

I have about 300 pcs to sort through and most of us are still skiing and drinking too much to get much posted.

Gordy, thanks again for putting together a great camp!
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermittent
    And furthermore. What is up with turkey bacon? Healthy bacon? Unpossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite
    That is like masturbation. People resort to it when they can't have the real thing!

Man Gordy, your hair has thinned out a bit, huh?

If you and your guides were throwing maggots down some of those lines, you'd lose your hair, too, Hicks.
    Perfect example was Treadway telling Boris to just hit it, it's only 15 feet...bwaaaaa.
    But I think it was what was going on after skiing that had Gordy worried if people would survive on the hill the next day.

thanks for your pics Speeeelat!!

cool to see Gordo implement immediately one of my camp suggestions to him to buy Suaza if he's gonna bring cheapish Tequila to his camps; that shit he had in Utah sucked Also, did he even supply the Koke's up there?? If so, suggestion #2 implemented Lastly, cool to hear of him implementing yet another suggestion; the fabled Most Improved as voted on by the participants themselves - very, very cool

she's not hard on the eyes

"... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Quote Originally Posted by Xover View Post
    she's not hard on the eyes

That's the former sammich, aka always wright, and his girl. It was great to see the Whistler home crew, but my skiing was limited to the heli time. Kinda bummed me out that I didn't get to ski with the camp crew and team guys. But I got some heli days, so I didn't feel too bad. Whistler has more beautiful skier chicks than any place on the planet. Boris and Fieldys Nuts def capitalized on the odds.