Thread: Red Lodge, MT

Red Lodge, MT

Was there on Feb 25. There was a few inches of fresh ontop of an icy base. Saying coverage was thin is an understatement, I can see how it earned the name Rock Dodge. I found the best snow on the Black Powder run under the Cole Creek chair. The Lodge Trail also had decent coverage, mostly due to a lack of traffic.

You went to Rock Dodge too early. RLM never gets much snow til the spring. In the spring they are known for some pretty epic dumps. That being said, the snow is always the best in Cole Creek. Hopefully the new owners will do some good things with the place.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    You went to Rock Dodge too early. RLM never gets much snow til the spring. In the spring they are known for some pretty epic dumps. That being said, the snow is always the best in Cole Creek. Hopefully the new owners will do some good things with the place.

Seconded, however I don't put alot of faith in Rock Dodge. There isn't much new management could do, except wait for the spring dumps. i don't think i've ever skied good snow there before mid march..... I think.
    backcountry makes my wee wee tingle...
    "What was once a mighty river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It's not wyoming...it's Jackson.
    Different rules apply.
    My Adventures

"Feeling good is good enough."

Headed there over St. Pat's day. Actually they are ahead of normal snow. It's a great family place, and I love the town (the way a ski town should be). But yeah, never plan a trip before March.

As for the new Mgt. They really need to convince the USFS that they should be allowed to run more pipe for their snow making. If they could do that, it would be a great little place to hang out on the cheap. If they could throw down a solid base in Dec and Jan, the place would be wonderful. As it is now, only the beginner area (Miami Beach) and a few blue groomers are covered by snow making. The Palisades have NO water running to it and haven't been opened in 2 years. With the decent snow they've been getting this year (for them) I'm hoping that might open up. Nothing particularly great ski wise, but there are some beautiful camera shots back in there. It would be fun to get my kids back there as well, cool little groomers for my girls, out of the way.

I suspect you road Hellroaring on Colecreek. More rocks than bumps most years. It was a great test of the bases on my Bro 188's, side note they held up great! Nothing like coming over a bump hearing your skis scraping over a rock, wow what a great sound.

Give it another shot later in the year.

Jay

Jay
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

That Pallisades lift is the biggest waste of resources....EVER! That quad should be where the triple is, what a bunch o dummies
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Have they ever turned Pallisades? I have never seen it spin when I have been there, but I have only been there a handful of times to ski.
    backcountry makes my wee wee tingle...
    "What was once a mighty river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It's not wyoming...it's Jackson.
    Different rules apply.
    My Adventures

"Feeling good is good enough."

it hasn't turned at all the last two years and only maybe 10 days the year before that.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Just wanted cite the example, 19" last night with another 6+ today. Per weather.com snow in the forcast the next 10 days. ALWAYS wait til spring!

Jay

Ski it all.

Go to Bridger or Big Sky unless you are with intermediates/beginners.

3/27/08 at red lodge

This is only my 3rd season skiing at RLM, but it's the best I've seen it for coverage and the amount of open runs. Current conditions on most of the mountain are 8+" of low density powder on a hard surface - coverage is much better, but you're still going to hit stuff. Tree skiing off the Cole Creek lift is incredible right now - we've had about 3' of snow in the past couple weeks, so there are some great powder stashes out there. I had face shots for breakfast. Rumor has it that they're working on opening the palisades lift for the last 2 weeks of the season.

I was there last week and we had snow everyday. Not the face shots montuckykid is talking about but really good coverage. I spent some time talking with a patroller and they have apparently gotten the go ahead to run snowmaking into Cole Creek and the Palisades over the summer. As someone mentioned this is a good choice if you're skiing with folks that like or need easier runs. That does make this a good choice when looking for a spot to take the family. It's cheap, driveable from the midwest, and there's plenty to keep a better skier interested while the kids ski the groomers. I took my 8 year old and 5 year old. The 8 year old ended up skiing EVERYTHING in Cole Creek, and the 5 year old was content to ski Lazy M all day with my dad. We'd switch off every so often to give the other a chance to hit some different terrian, and to give me some much needed rest after skiing bumps and chutes all morning.

It wasn't the best skiing I've ever had, but it might be the best ski vacation I've ever had. Seeing my kids eyes as they stood on top for the first time, after only skiing mid-west bumps, was a great feeling. Once the younger one gets a little more confidence we'll head somewhere else. Looking at a Bridger trip next year. But until then if you want to introduce your kids to something "out west" you couldn't pick a better spot. Just go in the spring when they get the bulk of their snow.

If I can figure out the posting pics, I'll put up a family stoke TR this weekend.

Jay