Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    Yeah, Jay pretty much nailed it.
    So did grrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by Crud's Uncle View Post
    ... thus the child will learn to control their will to conform with established rules. In doing so, the child will grew up to be a well adjusted adult capable of obeying reason as opposed to following their whims.
    I think there's some confusion here. Established rules are not necessarily based on reason. Moreover, established rules are not always just. It is not a good thing for an adult to always follow established rules without question. Since children evolve into adults - ideally - part of your job as a parent is to help your child to develop a reasonable ability to determine when rules should be followed and when not. Would you have been proud of a child who defied Jim Crow laws? I would have.

The manner in which you enforce rules with a child varies over time. Isn't that obvious? You don't explain your rules to a 1 year old. You're disserving your child if you don't explain your rules (at least some at least some of the time) to a teenager. I'd consider myself to have done a poor job as a parent if my adult child chose to mindlessly obey all rules, regardless of, for example, any consideration of their fairness.

There is nothing wrong with a child fearing their father...
    Do you mean respect their father? 'Cause if your precious snowflakes fear you dude, you're doing it wrong.

Brat. Cocky. But it's not her fault.

My hipocracy knows no bounds.
    I have to apologize. I really though it was you that was the moron, but apparently it was your parents' fault that you were a dick to that cop.

The moral of the story: Don't make smart assed comments if you don't want a smart assed response in return.

Jesus people, lighten up.
    Last edited by Arty50; 02-28-2008 at 12:49 PM.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Adults and superiors do not need to earn respect. Your comment that they do is absurd.
    Wow…… and six kids 11 and under.

The teenage years are going to be interesting for you and your family there Tarzan.

I work with teenagers for a profession, I am encouraged that there are obviously a lot of good parents on this board. I could go on but for those that understand, there is no explanation necessary and for those that don’t…. there is no explanation possible.

Oooo another internet tough guy. Take it easy on the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    Beating up little 12 year old girls doesn't count.

You're a fucking idiot, and I'd kick your ass for free!

Quote Originally Posted by woodstocksez View Post
    Moreover, established rules are not always just. It is not a good thing for an adult to always follow established rules without question.
    Yes, if people simply followed established rules blindly and never questioned them or "the system" the world would be a very boring and static place indeed.

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Obviously as kids get older the rules and punishments change. They also get more leeway in proportion to their maturity.

Why don't we just bring the Nuremburg trials into this discussion. It should be obvious that blind obedience is not good. If something is against God's law or the states laws, one is obliged to disobey. However, if I tell a kid to do the dishes, and he doesn't, then he is going to be punished.

Obviously as kids get older the rules and punishments change. They also get more leeway in proportion to their maturity.
    ... It should be obvious that blind obedience is not good. ... However, if I tell a kid to do the dishes, and he doesn't, then he is going to be punished.
    OK. But I and others were responding to some of your earlier statements, which were a bit more absolute.

^^^^what he said

Adults and superiors do not need to earn respect.
    If what you mean by this is that adults and superiors initially get respect by default, I agree. But that respect can properly be withdrawn based on subsequent behavior. Adults and superiors must earn continued respect (with, I'll concede, some deference for their higher position in the hierarchy).

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    Well gee, fuckwad...I hope you never travel away from your little rock. It would suck if you were a tourist and deserved less respect than people who belong there.
    I do have to travel...quite a bit actually, and for what it's worth I've seen it from both sides...I don't like getting dissed either, but I've been around long enough to understand it is what it is...from a little kid you laugh it off...from someone like yourself, who I assume is an adult (chronologically, anyway) you just consider the source and move on...

Why don't we just bring the Nuremburg trials into this discussion. It should be obvious that blind obedience is not good. If something is against God's law or the states laws, one is obliged to disobey. However, if I tell a kid to do the dishes, and he doesn't, then he is going to be punished.

Don't change the subject. We're talking about a kid who got gruff from a complete and total stranger. Or do you let random strangers knock on your door and ask your kids to do their dishes?
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

For some reason reading CU's comments reminded me of Col. Frank Fitz in American Beauty.
    I see Blue; He looks glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Q. Powmonger View Post
    For some reason reading CU's comments reminded me of Col. Frank Fitz in American Beauty.
    the exact same thing came to my mind.

also, i thought of any general, staunch, bible-belt christian conservative.
    forget the world, give us the earth

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    I
    Jesus people, lighten up.
    I have, 11 pounds now in about 1.5 months maybe. Pants fit better too.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Q. Powmonger View Post
    So CU is a closet gay and a killer?

How many of you have had a meal ruined by self-absorbed spoiled children acting like a restaurant is a playground?
    <Raises Hand>

I have, and I never want my kid to be *that kid*, so I'm going to take my kids out of school, isolate them from other children, stop taking their opinions seriously, beat them, and get em good and scared of me.

Little shits will start toein' the line real quick now goddammit.

Thank you.

I remember a little girl got snippy with me in lift line.
    She's now my concubine.

(unintentional rhyme)
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Adults and superiors do not need to earn respect. Your comment that they do is absurd. So, before a three year old, or ten year old, or an employee does what they are told, the superior must first establish to the satisfaction of the inferior that he deserves to be obeyed? Try that at work.

I full well agree that the best lessons are taught through example. All parents should practice what they preach. However, carrots and sticks are also required to raise well behaved adults.
    You are an idiot if you think all adults just deserve respect. You think your kid should just go out and kiss ever adults ass? "hey kid...want some candy?" Ya...he deserves respect. So do all the adults that beat their kids at home, and molest whomever....ya...all adults deserve respect. Note to self....Crud's Uncle should be godfather to my kids.
    Hurry up asshole! (idiocracy)

There is nothing wrong with a child fearing their father. The fear is not a blind fear that dad is going to beat them at the drop of a hat. It is a healthy fear that IF the child misbehaves, the father will appropriately discipline the child with mercy. The child fears the father, only when the child deserves to be punished, thus the child will learn to control their will to conform with established rules. In doing so, the child will grew up to be a well adjusted adult capable of obeying reason as opposed to following their whims.

I hope my kids never fear me. Punishment should suck...but not be fearful.
    Hurry up asshole! (idiocracy)

Rippin' skier...can't stand in lift line? I'm confused. I will grant that she probably got embarrassed at stumbling and being called on it but a good father would teach the young lady to be gracious and self-effacing at such times. That's rippin!

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Rippin' skier...can't stand in lift line? I'm confused. I will grant that she probably got embarrassed at stumbling and being called on it but a good father would teach the young lady to be gracious and self-effacing at such times. That's rippin!
    To clarify...she thought someone called her name behind us, she turned around to look and lost her balance...ya people loose their balance sometimes, doesn't mean she's not a rippin skier.
    oh so i guess i'm the asshole!

Crud, are you home schooling because of the lack of God in the classroom?