Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How stiff are the moment rubies

i just wanted to know how stiff the tip, tail, and underfoot is compared to my bridges (everyday ski) and what ski these are most similar too (in turn and general feel while skiing) on the 180 Moment Ruby.

*i know the rubies are stiff, i just want a comparison to the bridges.

*and where can i demo a pair (on ice coast)

just to save you guys the trouble, ill do it myself . . . . . . JONG
    Last edited by Sloafer11'; 02-26-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Most people compare them to the 1st gen gots. I haven't skied the bridge, so can't help there, but the underfoot is quite stiff, the tail is progressively softer with a lot of pop (supposedly stiffer than the 188 model), and the front of the ski is not so stiff. Really even flexing overall, but hard to tell in a hand flex with the big tips and tails. Torsionally, they are as stiff as my pistols, but they are so light that they do get deflected in the crud, but that's not what they are made for.

If you are taller than 5'9" and weigh more than 150, get the 188's. Because of the big twin, they ski really short. Great construction though, and are a hellava bc powder ski. We'll see how they do on harder snow this spring.

The best way to describe how they ski is surfy/floaty/poppy. Very low swing weight too.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I wouldn't ever say the Rubys are stiff- I would call them very soft, probably a 3 on Marshal's scale. I agree with most everything MTM said above- they ski fairly short due to the giant twin tips. I am 5'11", about 190 lbs and skied the 180s and could have easily gone up to the 188's. I currently have 189 K2 Enemys and would compare the overall flex as fairly similar to the Rubys.

Def not a stiff ski. There's enough underfoot to blast crud but the tips are very soft and the skis are VERY light. To me that's a great thing because it keeps them above the snow in even the funkiest crusted snow.
    If I haven't pissed you off yet don't worry. I'll keep trying.

I finally put my mitts on a pair over the weekend (didn't get to ride 'em, though, only hefted and flexed).

1. they are frickin' light. May be the lightest ski I've ever laid hands on. It was like holding a massive chunk of balsa.

2. they seem soft. At least softer than anything I've ever ridden.

I am muy curious to get out on a pair to see how they perform given their supple feel when hand flexing.

I keep hearing that they grip well and ride like a dream, but the weightlessness and softish flex has me curious, to say the least.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I think they are much more stable than what you would expect out of the flex, but they are definitely soft. Plow the crud surprisingly well. Very fun ski. I would suggest the 188 for 150lb+ or next years 190 if you want a stiffer flex.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    If you are taller than 5'9" and weigh more than 150, get the 188's. Because of the big twin, they ski really short.
    my skiing is a bit different and less aggressive than most of the people on this site. i like a ski with a moderately small turn radius (20-25ish), i dont really charge the mountain like alot of you guys, i finesse it more (probably due to my tele dominated ski life). so i like to keep my quiver on the shorter side. but maybe its time to progress into a bigger ski, seeing as ive never skied anything over a 176.

p.s. im 5'10

*what is the turn radius on the 188?

Quote Originally Posted by Sloafer11' View Post
    my skiing is a bit different and less aggressive than most of the people on this site. i like a ski with a moderately small turn radius (20-25ish), i dont really charge the mountain like alot of you guys, i finesse it more (probably due to my tele dominated ski life). so i like to keep my quiver on the shorter side. but maybe its time to progress into a bigger ski, seeing as ive never skied anything over a 176.

p.s. im 5'10

*what is the turn radius on the 188?
    Get the 188's. You can ski them as lazy as you want in the deep stuff and they're like a Caddy....smooth and sublime.

Rubys are not stiff. I am 5' 10" 155lbs and I have the 180's mounted with Dukes and I wouldn't change a thing. I could have easily gone to the 188's but I pulled the trigger on the 180's before I could try the 188's, and I don't have any regrets.

Here is my one warning... get ready to answer "rapid fire" questions from other peeps. I've taken them inbounds a few times and everyone is curious about them. But it does make me feel like the Grand Marshall of the resort when people look down and say "Those skis are sick". I never got any coments like that with my PR's

Seriously, buy them. You'll love them.
    "That's what she said."

^^^ They are some of the sickest looking skis I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by 30d View Post
    Get the 188's. You can ski them as lazy as you want in the deep stuff and they're like a Caddy....smooth and sublime.

i wouldn't quite call my skiing lazy, but ill take all your advice and when i get the chance ill grab a pair of 188

i wouldn't quite call my skiing lazy, but ill take all your advice and when i get the chance ill grab a pair of 188
    Maybe lazy is the wrong adjective. Think laid back. You don't have to charge them full bore even though you can if you want. It's a very forgiving flex and is very content to simply find it's radius and float out turns. I've been on them in everything from boiler plate to pure alta cold smoke to a nasty rain crust at targhee and they only left me underwhelmed on the firmest of firm snow. I ahve mine mounted with Dukes and wouldn't change a thing.

they sound like they might be good for an AT set-up...which is what I was thinking after lifting a pair over the weekend.

I actually skied some sastrugi with them and they held up about as good as a ski can teleing in those conditions, but they lovvadapow.

Photo credit Scotty Bondo:

whats the camber like on these skis?
    i thought i saw a pair that had "OMG CAMBER" on them a while back.
    do they settle?
    was i smoking crack?
    will batman ever escape the Penguins nest?!

Quote Originally Posted by 30d View Post
    Maybe lazy is the wrong adjective. Think laid back. You don't have to charge them full bore even though you can if you want. It's a very forgiving flex and is very content to simply find it's radius and float out turns. I've been on them in everything from boiler plate to pure alta cold smoke to a nasty rain crust at targhee and they only left me underwhelmed on the firmest of firm snow. I ahve mine mounted with Dukes and wouldn't change a thing.
    laid-back sounds better, im sure id be stoked on them. you said you skied them on everything but can they handle it when i want to open em up?

they have camber, but not OMG camber
    light
    soft tip - maybe a touch softer than a 179 soft bro in the tip
    stiffen up underfoot
    lively "poppy" ski

too short (180) for my tastes so i set my girlfriend up on them.
    she isn't a "ripper" and was afraid of them at first, but a day at alta and pow mo definitely raised her confidence levels.
    she loves them now.

i can only advise you to lay off the crack pipe.

and the penguins nest smells like poo - i hope batman escapes.

laid-back sounds better, im sure id be stoked on them. you said you skied them on everything but can they handle it when i want to open em up?
    So long as it's soft let em rip. Only issues I had was on boiler plate they got all funky with vibration and chatter. Really not an issue as they are not a hard pack ski. On a soft groomer they are surprisingly fun.

I've been told that ther sold out. How is the durability? worth it to buy them used? or should i wait for next year, any difference in the 09 ski?

Why don't you just call them up?

^most brilliant of suggestions!

Melee, who posts here and there should be able to help you out.

Also I've gotten quick and wonderful replies from the Moment website contact section every time I've hit them up. They seem like reasonable cats willing to get their product where it needs to be (i.e. on skier's feet). Who knows, they might have some of their demo fleet to sell off since it's getting near the end of the season.

But you'll never know if you don't reach out to THEM (them being Moment).

i've called up companys before and ive had to sort the truth out from an enormous amount of bullshit most of the time. But if you guys say theyre a straight up group, ill call em up.

i've called up companys before and ive had to sort the truth out from an enormous amount of bullshit most of the time. But if you guys say theyre a straight up group, ill call em up.
    straight as hell...

the durabilty is as good as ive seen.apart from the topsheet chipping.

bases are bomber.

.... thread resurrection ....

Moment's website says that the 190's are stiffer than the 180 and 188. Can anyone tell me how much stiffer? How will they compare to a stiff Bro? To a mantra? To gotamas?

I'm looking for an overall stiff ski but not as stiff as the m1. Any help?

About the same flex as this year's Gotamas -- they're not as stiff as the M1