Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Let me count the ways my Smith Variant sucks

1. The vents don't ever close all the way. I know Smith did a recall on this and I'll get a new helmet for it, but I didn't want to be helmetless and send it in so I figured I'd live with it. It's not really a big deal, but definitely adds to the overall suckage of the helmet.

2. The tab that holds my brim in the helmet either broke the first day I used it or was broken before in production/warehouse/shipping. So as a result the brim falls out on one side all the time and I have to put it back in each time. Again not really a huge deal but it's still annoying.

3. What really sucks is that my right earflap falls out about every 30 seconds. It's held on by the chin straps so losing it isn't an issue, but it never stays in for more than a run or two. I thought that maybe I just had my goggle (smith Phenom's which actually do kick ass) straps on too tight so I've loosened them all the way and the stupid earflap still falls out all the time. The earflap itself is held on by a pretty janky looking plastic tab which seems to be wearing down the more it falls out and I have to slide it back in the helmet, so the fun thing about this is the more it happens...the more it happens.

Since I know I'm getting a new helmet to replace this one once I send it in on waranty I really don't care about all this too much, but it's my only helmet and I need it for a comp in a few weeks so basically I'm stuck with it for the rest of the season. Smith guy that post here it might be worth passing this info on to your helmet designers, or maybe I've just got a bad apple and the rest of the variant brim's kick ass, either way it looks like I'm wearing a hat for the rest of the season.

On the plus side I do have to say that the Phenom/Variant Brim combo does indeed kick ass for goggle venting. Skiing in Jackson I spend a lot of time hiking and sidestepping and rarely do I fog up when I've got my helmet vents open (which is pretty much all the time since they never really close anyways ). Smith guy that post here it might be worth passing this info on to your helmet designers, or maybe I've just got a bad apple and the rest of the variant brim's kick ass. Either way
    Last edited by robokill1981; 02-24-2008 at 02:48 PM.

I like my Variant brim. I've had none of the problems that you mentioned, but my "ear flaps" hurt my ears. They push a little too hard on the outer cartiledge of my ears. I don't notice it till about 3/4 thru the day, and then it hurts alot. I've tried to heat mold them a bit, and it got better, but not all gone.
    The coefficent of desireability is inversly proportionate to the degree of availability.

Yeah, no real complaints with mine either.

Quote Originally Posted by robokill1981 View Post
    1. The vents don't ever close all the way. I know Smith did a recall on this and I'll get a new helmet for it, but I didn't want to be helmetless and send it in so I figured I'd live with it. It's not really a big deal, but definitely adds to the overall suckage of the helmet.

2. The tab that holds my brim in the helmet either broke the first day I used it or was broken before in production/warehouse/shipping. So as a result the brim falls out on one side all the time and I have to put it back in each time. Again not really a huge deal but it's still annoying.

3. What really sucks is that my right earflap falls out about every 30 seconds. It's held on by the chin straps so losing it isn't an issue, but it never stays in for more than a run or two. I thought that maybe I just had my goggle (smith Phenom's which actually do kick ass) straps on too tight so I've loosened them all the way and the stupid earflap still falls out all the time. The earflap itself is held on by a pretty janky looking plastic tab which seems to be wearing down the more it falls out and I have to slide it back in the helmet, so the fun thing about this is the more it happens...the more it happens.

Since I know I'm getting a new helmet to replace this one once I send it in on waranty I really don't care about all this too much, but it's my only helmet and I need it for a comp in a few weeks so basically I'm stuck with it for the rest of the season. Smith guy that post here it might be worth passing this info on to your helmet designers, or maybe I've just got a bad apple and the rest of the variant brim's kick ass, either way it looks like I'm wearing a hat for the rest of the season.

On the plus side I do have to say that the Phenom/Variant Brim combo does indeed kick ass for goggle venting. Skiing in Jackson I spend a lot of time hiking and sidestepping and rarely do I fog up when I've got my helmet vents open (which is pretty much all the time since they never really close anyways ). Smith guy that post here it might be worth passing this info on to your helmet designers, or maybe I've just got a bad apple and the rest of the variant brim's kick ass. Either way

I'm "smith guy that posts here" along with Super G and a couple others. I'm sorry that you have been unhappy with your helmet. Warranty it--that's what our lifetime warranty is for. Not really sure what good posting here is going to do you but I respect your right to share your frustration. We've pretty much received rave reviews on those helmets, save the initial recall we served. Rest assured that I'll share this post like I share every other with the right folks.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I love my Smith Variant, haven't experience any of the problems you have. I've put around 50 days on it and its easily the best helmet I've owned.

What was the recall for?

Quote Originally Posted by jSki View Post
    I love my Smith Variant, haven't experience any of the problems you have. I've put around 50 days on it and its easily the best helmet I've owned.

What was the recall for?
    Thanks, jSki. We held a voluntary recall for our dealers because on a small fraction of the first Variants of the year, the vents wouldn't completely shut. It was about one in 50 of the first five thousand or so. It was an expensive decision as our dealers thought we were crazy but the post above is exactly what we were trying to avoid. They're expensive helmets and we simply thought people should get a worthy product.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

My brim and vents have the same problem. No earflap issues though.

My ratchet system often comes un-snapped and is useless, allowing the helmet to be a little floppy.

Going to warrantee once the season is up.

Still happy with the product, despite the issues. Knowing that Smith is going to stand behind the product makes all the difference. Kudos to Smith. 1st year products don't always go perfectly & they're handling this right. Thanks.

My Variant hasn't had any of the above problems, but I find that my Fuse goggles fit way better than my Phenoms. My Phenoms always get a gaper gap, and I'm constantly having to push my helmet down and my goggles up to fill it. But neither fog, unless I have the vents closed all the way and am hiking hard.

I'd like to complain about my Variant, but I can't because I don't have one (seems they sold out fast in all the normal sizes around here).

It definitely looks like the best helmet out this year. Sounds like they'll take care of you too (they've always helped me out on glasses / goggles)

Two friends have Variants and have no complaints. And next year's colors are awesome.

I like mine a lot. Best helmet I have ever had.

I broke a tab that opens and shuts the vents yesterday. Shit happens. Warranty is pain mid-season unless I can get a dealer to swap me a new lid. I work in it everyday, so I sorta need it all the time.

Rev. Floater --> any chance of warranty w/ a digi photo so I can get a new one before I send the old one in?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    I like mine a lot. Best helmet I have ever had.

I broke a tab that opens and shuts the vents yesterday. Shit happens. Warranty is pain mid-season unless I can get a dealer to swap me a new lid. I work in it everyday, so I sorta need it all the time.

Rev. Floater --> any chance of warranty w/ a digi photo so I can get a new one before I send the old one in?
    Ummmm...I'm going to say no. I don't work in warranty but I highly, highly doubt that'll work. Sorry amigo.

Sounds to me like the second two problems could be fixed with a little gorilla glue or something. But I guess its easier to just bitch about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

The earflap tabs come off really easily if you don't put them in squarely. Try putting them in at different angles until they firmly click.

Funny, I get that ear pain aswell. I'm gonna try leaving those earflaps under a bunch of books or something to try to flatten them.
    Last edited by dirtybryan; 02-25-2008 at 01:30 PM.

Mine has been bomber. Sorry to hear others are having trouble!
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

Quote Originally Posted by birdman829 View Post
    Sounds to me like the second two problems could be fixed with a little gorilla glue or something. But I guess its easier to just bitch about it.
    True, but skis that delam usually get a bad review around here and that's something that's also pretty easy to fix on your own. Just cause you can fix something doesn't mean people shouldn't be aware of issues with a product.

That said I'm glad to hear that it sounds like I just got a bunk helmet and everyone else has been happy with theirs. Everyone makes a lemon every once in while and apparently I just got a bad helmet. I'd even consider nuking this thread since it doesn't sound like anyone else is experiencing my issues but since it's now full of people saying how much they like their helmets it would probably do well to stay in the archive for anyone searching for info on the helmet.

And Rev...if you can figure out a solution to the whole mid-winter warranty suckfest then you might have a lot of customers for life here. Maybe charge people for a warranty replacement and debit their cards when you get their broken gear in to the warranty guys? I know how much of a PITA working in warranty is and this would just add a whole level of confusion to the mess, but it would be cool to see Smith come up with a solution.
    Last edited by robokill1981; 02-25-2008 at 02:03 PM.

And Rev...if you can figure out a solution to the whole mid-winter warranty suckfest then you might have a lot of customers for life here. Maybe charge people for a warranty replacement and debit their cards when you get their broken gear in to the warranty guys? I know how much of a PITA working in warranty is and this would just add a whole level of confusion to the mess, but it would be cool to see Smith come up with a solution.
    I agree 100% and I thnk it's a valid idea. The director of our customer service/warranty dept is a good friend of mine so I'll bring it up with her. Thanks.

Rev.

G3 has replaced bindings with a digi photo of snapped toe bars for me. They didn't even want me to send in the broken bindings - just a digi photo. BCA has replaced packs with a photo of blown zippers and seams. Obviously requires some trust and risk on the part of the manufacturer that not all companies are willing to take. I'm ok with that. But it's tough for someone who uses gear daily to send it in for warranty if shops can't or won't deal with warranty replacement. Even tougher if you pro form things and they break, because it's not so cool to take yer shit back for warranty issues to a shop you didn't purchase from.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

While we're on the subject...

I'm just returned my 2nd Variant Brim and consider myself lucky to be able to walk into BC.com and have it resolved in minutes. The first helmet was returned because the snap that holds the goggle strap closed popped the rivet the first time it was opened on the first day I wore it. Sucked, but BC.com replaced it and I was on my way with a new one. Thursday morning I'm suiting up for battle at Retallack and POP...the slider things in the back that adjust the fit strip out. No broken bits but no click click click. The helmet was useless as it was no longer snug and I skied 3 days in a hat which is no big deal until I hit something. Bummer is BC.com had no more Larges in stock so I took a refund and now need to source a new lid.

I dig the Variant as it's the best fitting and best ventilated helmet I've worn but almost feel guilty returning so much merchandise.
    If I haven't pissed you off yet don't worry. I'll keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by 30d View Post
    While we're on the subject...

I'm just returned my 2nd Variant Brim and consider myself lucky to be able to walk into BC.com and have it resolved in minutes. The first helmet was returned because the snap that holds the goggle strap closed popped the rivet the first time it was opened on the first day I wore it. Sucked, but BC.com replaced it and I was on my way with a new one. Thursday morning I'm suiting up for battle at Retallack and POP...the slider things in the back that adjust the fit strip out. No broken bits but no click click click. The helmet was useless as it was no longer snug and I skied 3 days in a hat which is no big deal until I hit something. Bummer is BC.com had no more Larges in stock so I took a refund and now need to source a new lid.

I dig the Variant as it's the best fitting and best ventilated helmet I've worn but almost feel guilty returning so much merchandise.
    +1

I am on my 2nd Variant from BC.com this season and it's broken again. The first one had a problem with the fit slider in the back (no clicking). I just broke the "handle" off the vent slider on one side of the helmet by trying to close the vents. It just snapped off, I didn't do anything crazy to it!

I think this helmet is the most comfortable helmet I have ever worn, but the ear flaps do dig on my ears a little bit too much when I'm wearing my headphones. Other than that, a great helmet! I will be bringing mine into BC.com again, but like the above poster I feel bad bringing in stuff all the time!

I've had no problems with mine, so happy to be wearing it when I clip tree branches or that one time I smacked my noggin against a tree trunk

Ears do get a little sensitive in the afternoon even with the fit straps in the back maxed out. Could this be b/c I'm at the top end of the "medium" size range maybe?

i really like my smith holt helmet super comfy as far as helmets go

love my variant brim except for one problem, on cold days the vent slider jams and won't open or if already open won't close. Anyone else having this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by snoop View Post
    love my variant brim except for one problem, on cold days the vent slider jams and won't open or if already open won't close. Anyone else having this problem?
    i have the same problem

I love my Variant/Phenom combo. The fit is money! Venting kicks ass, goggles never fog and no gaper space.

Have the problem with the brim since day one. And the other day the tab that opens and shuts vent broke off. The vents tend to stick a bit.
    Feeling anxious, a little paranoid.